Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

phasmid posted:

Okay, but we can agree that both games and their fans are bad, right?

all games...are bad :chloe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Chomp8645 posted:

My personal sincerely held but unpopular video game opinion: Designing ships in space 4x games is stupid and shouldn't be a thing.

I want to argue against this, but I know deep in my heart that it is true.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
are there any youtube channels that do video game reviews where they actually talk about interesting things beyond a buzzfeed style 15 minute waste of time?. i guess people call them 'video essays' but its only a matter of time before people start calling their buzzfeed videos 'video essays' for SEO

like super bunnyhop

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
i love nothing more than finding 20+ minute 'reviews' of games done by neckbeards who have no problem padding half the video out with unfunny skits in their pathetic apartment and despite the 20 minute runtime contain no information i didn't already know about the game in passing or could easily find in the introductory paragraph of the game's wikipedia page

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I quite like Joseph Anderson, Matthewmatosis is pretty much in the same vein as super bunnyhop, Mistercaption is OK

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

nigga crab pollock posted:

i love nothing more than finding 20+ minute 'reviews' of games done by neckbeards who have no problem padding half the video out with unfunny skits in their pathetic apartment and despite the 20 minute runtime contain no information i didn't already know about the game in passing or could easily find in the introductory paragraph of the game's wikipedia page

I like Easy Allies' reviews and for more abstract concepts outside of plain ol reviews i just started looking at a series Writing on Games and another one called Game Maker's Toolkit

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
if you are looking not to waste time in life I think youtubes about video games might be a thing to avoid entirely

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

beep by grandpa posted:

I like Easy Allies' reviews and for more abstract concepts outside of plain ol reviews i just started looking at a series Writing on Games and another one called Game Maker's Toolkit

Those last two are decent yeah. I quite like ggmanlives and I'll give ACG a look now and then

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

are there any youtube channels that do video game reviews where they actually talk about interesting things beyond a buzzfeed style 15 minute waste of time?. i guess people call them 'video essays' but its only a matter of time before people start calling their buzzfeed videos 'video essays' for SEO

like super bunnyhop

Zero Punctuation

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Zero puntuation was amusing when it was new but the guy isnt actually a good reviewer

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

If you want the most lol meandering, pointless trainwreck of reviews of 20+min check out RedLetterMedia's show called PreviouslyRecorded

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

dunkey does good reviews when he feels like it, usually putting "dunkview" in the title to differentiate them from the ones where he's just loving around

Multilake
Dec 11, 2016

If you're in a jam, a crayon scrunched under your nose makes a good pretend moustache.
I know to this Day of age literally anyone heard of day9 somehow, but I still recommend him if you like a funny guy talking about some random poo poo while playing indie games.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

basic hitler posted:

Zero puntuation was amusing when it was new but the guy isnt actually a good reviewer

Eh, its gotten a bit self referential, but he's still always right.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

VideoTapir posted:

Eh, its gotten a bit self referential, but he's still always right.

nah he rarely is. he has very understandable but usually really subjective issues with a game and absolutely nobody should buy or not buy something due to what he has to say.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I really dislike reviewers who get caught up over one annoying/difficult insignificant thing and then make that the focal point of the entire review cause they can't get over it. PrevRec and Zero Punctuation are the worst about this.

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Overwatch sucks. Haven't actually played it but I've seen videos.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

like super bunnyhop

Look up video game historian. He's done some really good videos on a lot of niche subjects, especially lawsuits involving video game companies. His video in tengen games is really interesting

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

This is not unpopular but super bunnyhop owns

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

This is not unpopular but super bunnyhop owns

Agreed, please stop posting factually correct things itt everyone while I go watch George play the first level of every sonic game again.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Fartbox posted:

Counter-Strike was brilliant for its time and is the reason that realistic shooters became the new norm for the entire genre
you made a compelling argument for why counterstrike is good only to piss it all away with this last sentence

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fartbox posted:

Counter strike was fun because it was a big change of pace from other shooters at the time. During that era you had stuff like Unreal Tournament and Quake III being the "normal" type of shooter so a tactical "realistic" shooter with real guns was neat.

Somebody doesn't remember the actual history of Counter-Strike. As someone who played it since 0.3 I have some news for you.

Counter-Strike started as a direct copy of Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear.

It had recreations of all the maps, all the weapons, all the concepts. It was literally "Hey, Rogue Spear's networking is lackluster and it's technically inferior to Half-Life, let's make a mod out of it to make it play better with 16 people." That is the origin of Coutner-Strike there therefor your whole 'Realistic Shooter was started by CS' comment actually belongs to Rogue Spear.

When it started to catch on they quickly got rid of all the R6 copied stuff and replaced it, and we now have CS as it is.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

2house2fly posted:

Joseph Anderson

yup

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Blazing Ownager posted:

Somebody doesn't remember the actual history of Counter-Strike. As someone who played it since 0.3 I have some news for you.

It had recreations of all the maps, all the weapons, all the concepts. It was literally "Hey, Rogue Spear's networking is lackluster and it's technically inferior to Half-Life, let's make a mod out of it to make it play better with 16 people." That is the origin of Coutner-Strike there therefor your whole 'Realistic Shooter was started by CS' comment actually belongs to Rogue Spear.

When it started to catch on they quickly got rid of all the R6 copied stuff and replaced it, and we now have CS as it is.

No one gives a poo poo about rogue spear that's why CS started it all

winner takes it all babby

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

0wn3d n00b

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

like super bunnyhop

YouTube people see the 15min limit as something you should never ever cross. Since you can't get a lot of information and ZANY ANTICS to keep the autist watchers watching, you are never going to get anything beyond those neckbeards who think spending a lot of time on something means something.

In summary, no.

Super bunnyhop is good but there are some views I have no idea where he is coming from . Like that Hitman thing.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fartbox posted:

No one gives a poo poo about rogue spear that's why CS started it all

winner takes it all babby

im sure rogue spear was just ripping off a Quake 1 mod. all these lovely new games are just high res version of Quake 1 mods

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

you'd think there'd be a market for no-gimmick, straightforward video game reviews on youtube but evidently, there are no popular channels that fit the mold

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

get that OUT of my face posted:

you'd think there'd be a market for no-gimmick, straightforward video game reviews on youtube but evidently, there are no popular channels that fit the mold

Because the kind of person who spends a lot of time reading/watching video game reviews is desperate for any form of companionship and the zany youtube person feels like a friend

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

beep by grandpa posted:

I really dislike reviewers who get caught up over one annoying/difficult insignificant thing and then make that the focal point of the entire review cause they can't get over it. PrevRec and Zero Punctuation are the worst about this.

I dunno, a lot of what Zero Punctuation talks about would be deal-killers for me.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Blazing Ownager posted:

They might have copied content, but they failed to copy its unplayability.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Funny cos CS pre-dates Rogue Spear by at least 6 months, and the beta 1.0 open release by 2 months. The earliest development is probably even more than that. While it would be dumb to say that the parallel development had no effect on one another, you can see the seeds of CS in a title whose development probably pre-dates even the first Rainbow Six in Action Quake 2, a Quake mod that Minh Le worked on before making CS.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

PC gaming is not very good anymore.

Multiplat stuff will usually be just as good on console, Steam is now worse than most mobilephone OS storefronts when it comes to quality control and recent PC exclusives are only suitable for hyper-autists.

Being able to play an MMO with M&KB is the only reason to use a PC for games now.

EDIT: Oh, i forgot the flavour of the month early access multiplayer shooter that will never get finished once people lose interest in it and it starts to slip down the Steam sales charts

spudsbuckley fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 6, 2017

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Just hook up a computer to your TV

Consoles are just bad computers

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Rutibex posted:

im sure rogue spear was just ripping off a Quake 1 mod. all these lovely new games are just high res version of Quake 1 mods

This x infinity.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

hawowanlawow posted:

Just hook up a computer to your TV

Consoles are just bad computers

More and more true with every console generation.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
As much as I lived Minecraft, I think it might have completely hosed up videogames.

Half the games I see nowadays are aimless survival/crafting early access games.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

a bone to pick posted:

As much as I lived Minecraft, I think it might have completely hosed up videogames.

Half the games I see nowadays are aimless survival/crafting early access games.

they are doing it wrong, all of them are worse than minecraft.

what I want to see is Dwarf Fortress with all its nutty interactions, but instead of ASCII bullshit I can walk around in a 3d world like minecraft

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Rutibex posted:

what I want to see is Dwarf Fortress with all its nutty interactions, but instead of ASCII bullshit I can walk around in a 3d world like minecraft

I never played minecraft but it always looked like a waaay simplified version of good ol' Dwarf Fortress. Such a great game. I lost count of how many times my perfect fort succumbed to the most unlikely of intrusions. That or my leader went mad, sometimes with some gentle coaxing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Rutibex posted:

I'm pretty sure there are a few 3d DF mods at this point.