Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

There's two levels, high quality minerals (25%) and very high quality minerals (50%) Mine is the former.

Ahh right, I was gonna say I usually flip my poo poo if I find the 50% one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I don't know if it's the best strategy, or hell if it's even *good* but I usually snatch up only about 4, maybe 5 large planets and then sucker in as much space as I can using Frontier outposts that don't break the influence bank. I never spend on edicts and get more or less the bare minimum and cheapest leaders.

I'll run like that clear into mid game until something starts to near maxing out: energy, minerals, influence, etc. Then I'll dump huge into expanding into the space I've conquered. Usually by then I can terraform planets (making gene researching only useful for the bonuses) and have most building tiers unlocked, so I can basically just truck through. Granted this strategy does seem to have its vulnerable moments early-mid game as you can get rolled before you have a giant fleet.

If someone knows the numbers, feel free to correct me, but my general theory is that both traditions and tech are huge gates early, especially with some key building techs. (Who here has had an endgame crisis hit before the game rolled you Mining Networks III? I just did. :shepicide: ) Pop growth is definitely important, but just spending your resources on stations and upgrades for your immediate core seems more effective at first. Note that I'm also fairly spergy about minmaxing tiles on the first few planets.

Every time I've ignored that and gone into early colonization and especially to the level of requiring sectors, I never found it as effective. Your main disadvantage to this approach is fleet cap but 1. You should have enough of a tech+mineral edge that you can get up to level 6 spaceports everywhere fairly quickly and 2. The technology edge combined with a healthy fleet up to your cap should deter attackers, even if you can't push their poo poo in for awhile.

I even won a war against two empires with an 8k fleet and a 5k fleet when I had no allies and a 7k fleet. I was lucky to fight the battles separate and had to surrender a planet briefly, but came out decidedly on top from constant, slow replenishment of combat losses. I transitioned to the full-on gently caress you mode after that war ended when I thought I had done enough teching up, and by the time those guys had tried to expand again they were still at like 5k fleets and I was up to 30k.

YMMV but it works well enough for me.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Trundel posted:

Wish I could, but the pacifist ethic that I'm trying to get rid of stops me from doing that directly.

I guess that I could find the closest egalitarian civ, liberate one planet, vassal them, and integrate them before their pop switches to bring up the Eg pop. Gonna take a while!

I've had a pretty easy time getting around pacifism in the midgame by just maintaining a tiny standing fleet, a huge productive capacity, and being completely annoying with my colony/outpost placement until weaker civs declare war on me. The AI only weighs current relative fleet strength in deciding when it's a good idea to start poo poo and when to surrender, so if you build wide and maintain the capacity to pop a big military in a hurry you can maintain an expansionistic empire and your neighbors will only realize too late your pacifists are really passive-aggressivists.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jun 6, 2017

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Do droids count towards increasing research costs?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I don't think I've seen one of those high quality worlds yet, where is it written that one has those bonuses?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nalesh posted:

I don't think I've seen one of those high quality worlds yet, where is it written that one has those bonuses?

Comes up in the planetary conditions list. Select your homeworld and it will have a capital world icon at the top of the window. Other conditions get listed there too.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Fargin Icehole posted:

This is my second game:

Q1: I am usually spending minerals on stations/ship upgrades, influence to replace leaders, I used my unity to start the prosperity tradition first.

Q2:I have colonized Alpha Centauri and Sirius, realizing the dream of humanity. After expanding to one more planet I have learned the lesson of sectors, but sectors kinda suck so i'm thinking of not expanding planets at all.

Q3:I am most definitely building mining stations and research whenever I can. My game had many more mineral worlds/asteroids than research station plots.

Q4:I am constructing buildings according to overall demand. If i am losing EC through constant mining station building, i make a power plant. If I expand and all of a sudden I am losing -5 food a month, i make a hydroponics lab. I have just recently learned of science labs, and I think that's my problem.

Q5: Only on the fringe worlds to expand my border range, and usually on a system that has a reasonable chunk of resources.

Q6: At the beginning, yes, with two construction ships/science ships and a lot of corvettes. Do civilian vessels count on your fleet cap? Now I just noticed that i'm at 33/60 for fleet capacity as I started building destroyers.

Sounds like not building science labs was your big problem, then. In the early game, a little bit of science makes a big difference. Other than that, just make sure you're spending all your minerals on either expanding your economy or expanding your fleet, depending on how close your neighbors are and how unfriendly they look. Sectors are kind of clunky, but you're going to have a hard time keeping up if you restrict yourself to just three planets, so I'd advise getting used to them.

Only combat ships count toward fleet cap, and you should try to keep your fleet at or near the cap if you can afford it, or at least be ready to build up quickly if needed. Don't be afraid to go over your cap if you're about to start a war, as exceeding the cap just raises energy upkeep costs. Having a three-digit fleet power is rough because spaceports usually have about 1.1k fleet power, so it badly limits your options in war.

Frontier Outposts don't have to be built in your own space - they can be built in any unclaimed space, and there's no need to keep your borders contiguous. If you see a cluster of really good systems on the other side of the galaxy, there's nothing stopping you from building an outpost or a colony out there. Just be careful of the influence cost to maintain frontier outposts, as you can screw your influence gain if you overbuild them.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I'm just starting out playing this game, and I'm bout to throw it in the trash. I'm at 2215.3.20, I'm playing some pacifist techno parrots just fuckin around, found a neighbor and established diplomatic channels. I haven't been neglecting my military as far as I can tell, my fleet isn't maxed out but it's got a military score of a few hundred and I'm on equivalent footing with the neighbor I found. Then the next neighbor I find is a bunch of military isolationists who instantly declare war on me. Their fleet shows up and it has a military strength of around 80000. What the gently caress am I supposed to do with this? I'd happily surrender, be humiliated, and let them blow up the frontier outpost they're upset about but no they just land troops on my home planet immediately.

Like, why is this a thing that can happen? Is there some way I'm supposed to be able to recover from that? Is there some trick to making them not murder my species on sight?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Looks like you found a Xenophobic Fallen Empire. As long as you don't colonize or frontier outpost anywhere near them they'll leave you alone - and even if they land troops on your planets, the only permanent consequences will be the stuff listed in the wargoals - usually humiliate and getting rid of whatever outpost or colony pissed them off.

So you're absolutely supposed to be able to recover from that.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Nuramor posted:

Do droids count towards increasing research costs?

Yes, they're pops. Build them anyway.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I'm just starting out playing this game, and I'm bout to throw it in the trash. I'm at 2215.3.20, I'm playing some pacifist techno parrots just fuckin around, found a neighbor and established diplomatic channels. I haven't been neglecting my military as far as I can tell, my fleet isn't maxed out but it's got a military score of a few hundred and I'm on equivalent footing with the neighbor I found. Then the next neighbor I find is a bunch of military isolationists who instantly declare war on me. Their fleet shows up and it has a military strength of around 80000. What the gently caress am I supposed to do with this? I'd happily surrender, be humiliated, and let them blow up the frontier outpost they're upset about but no they just land troops on my home planet immediately.

Like, why is this a thing that can happen? Is there some way I'm supposed to be able to recover from that? Is there some trick to making them not murder my species on sight?

You found a Fallen Empire, superstrong ancient empires that mostly keep to themselves but have certain things that they really care about. Since you usually have to have a mid-to-late-game fleet to beat them up, you're meant to tiptoe around them and avoid whatever pisses them off. Militant Isolationists don't want you building or colonizing anywhere near them and will go to war to enforce that, but will otherwise completely ignore you.

You can surrender to them - just go into the war view and click all their war demands to signal that you've accepted them, and you should then be able to surrender. It doesn't really matter that they've occupied your home planet, though - they won't conquer it or keep it, they're just using it to drive up their warscore so they can claim a victory. Once they've won the war, they'll blow up your frontier outpost, humiliate your leader, and leave.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

humiliate your leader

Humiliate of course being a codeword for murder.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

binge crotching posted:

Well that doesn't seem to be 100%. I mean, it will be if you're low on influence but :xcom:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

binge crotching posted:

I'd say getting murdered by a bunch of space foxes is pretty humiliating.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

As mentioned above, you found a fallen empire and it's unfortunately one of the ones that makes for an annoying neighbour. There's a few plus sides to be aware of though:

-The way the wargoal system works, no empire can ever take more than what they demanded initial war declaration. They might destroy your entire fleet and occupy every one of your planets, but if the only wargoal they picked was "humiliate" that's all they're going to be able to demand from you. Thus it's usually a good idea to just surrender immediately in cases like this where you know you're going to lose, to avoid having too much damage done to your infrastructure/fleet which might leave you vulnerable to an opportunistic neighbour.

-Militant isolationists like the one you ran into basically don't care about anything except other empires getting too close. As wargoals all they'll ever demand is cleansing planets they deem too close to their space (and humiliation which is annoying but pretty harmless). Since fallen empires never expand, this just means that so long as you avoid settling near them, they'll leave you alone forever.

-Besides not expanding, fallen empires also never build ships. So they start off with a massively powerful fleet but you can actually chip them down over time with a much weaker force - even destroying a single ship during a war is a loss they'll never recover from. Granted, the tech difference means that can be hard to do, but it gets easier as time goes on.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 6, 2017

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

The Cheshire Cat posted:

-Besides not expanding, fallen empires also never build ships. So they start off with a massively powerful fleet but you can actually chip them down over time with a much weaker force - even destroying a single ship during a war is a loss they'll never recover from. Granted, the tech difference means that can be hard to do, but it gets easier as time goes on.

Trying to win through attrition is an incredibly bad idea, a battle with even 5% difference in fleet power typically ends with the losing side getting obliterated and the winning side taking minor (~10%) losses, and once you're in that ballpark you might as well spend another couple months building ships and take over the FE outright rather than burn everything on trying to mildly inconvenience them. Early game you'll waste minerals you can't afford beating hundred-point fleet after hundred-point fleet against the rocks trying to even get through the shields of a single FE ship, until some other aggressive empire realizes you've flushed your economy down the toilet for years and actually takes you over.

it's kind of dumb that there's no way to hang onto planets you've occupied except through wargoal negotiation, but it's working in your favor here, just take the loss it'll barely even affect you.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 6, 2017

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah but that's why you set up defensive pacts and get some other jerk to do it for you.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Is anyone else playing the beta, and are you getting incredibly janky fps?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

at first no, but by the time i had my 1000 corvette fleet fighting, yes. it also had a lot of trouble actually engaging stuff, taking forever to kill a mining post etc. this is my first time doing the corvette thing tho, so idk if thats nromal

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Splicer posted:

Is anyone else playing the beta, and are you getting incredibly janky fps?

Insystem view during combat with my 110k doom stack.

I have to go back to the galaxy map to get combat to resolve in s reasonable time frame.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah but that's why you set up defensive pacts and get some other jerk to do it for you.

Yeah secret perk of federations. For my xenophile federation run I'd start a liberation war, destroy the main enemy fleets with my doomstack then just sit back and let my federation mates do all the rest. Works pretty good.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
My game is unplayably janky from game start in anything but pause mode in 1.7.2, goes away completely if I roll back to 1.6.1. Even in pause mode it jutters every few seconds.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Splicer posted:

My game is unplayably janky from game start in anything but pause mode in 1.7.2, goes away completely if I roll back to 1.6.1. Even in pause mode it jutters every few seconds.

Yeah something's fucky in the beta with framerates. It'll get fixed eventually.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
That's really odd to hear... I've not had any issues woth frame rates or performance in general after opting in to the beta. Everything runs much as it has before.

Wonder what could be causing the issue.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I brought a long dead species back to life.

By making robot slaves to whip my actual slaves. Service guarantees Citizenship. Would you like to know more?

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Humanity is a disease:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Would anyone with Utopia be up for doing coop multiplayer? Still learning the game and trying to figure out if utopias worth getting.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Aleth posted:

Humanity is a disease:

:psyduck: Which one of them contains Sol?

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

deadly_pudding posted:

:psyduck: Which one of them contains Sol?

United Nations of Earth, top left.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I played my first game, going in blind.

All at once all my scientists, generals, engineers, important people died of old age, roughly within the same three months. I have no...um...that blue thing that's always draining even though it's sat at 0 for most of this entire game.

Just sitting here, now. A lonely civilization with no one to steer the science ships.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

credburn posted:

I played my first game, going in blind.

All at once all my scientists, generals, engineers, important people died of old age, roughly within the same three months. I have no...um...that blue thing that's always draining even though it's sat at 0 for most of this entire game.

Just sitting here, now. A lonely civilization with no one to steer the science ships.

That would be influence, and if it's draining you're spending too much of it on edicts or frontier outposts. Drop some of your empire-wide edicts, if you have them, and destroy some of your frontier outposts. If you have more planets than your core systems limit allows that will also reduce your influence income, so if that's the case (you'll have a red X/X number at the top) you should put some into sectors.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 7, 2017

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Speaking of outposts: Is there any reason to keep outposts once you have a colony established in their area?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

deadly_pudding posted:

Speaking of outposts: Is there any reason to keep outposts once you have a colony established in their area?

Even with a colony, an outpost will help push your borders. It's never obvious how much you'll gain/lose by building/destroying an outpost, so unless you really need the monthly influence back, just keep outposts that are along your borders.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I guess if you're in iron man and can't revert back to before you blew it up because it's bullshit you can't preview border changes?

If there's a colony in the same system it's 100% safe to blow it up.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Why the heck can I not make hive mind devouring swarm cyborgs? Have these people never seen a Star Trek? :argh:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Make a hivemind, download a cyber portrait mod.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Thinking of making a militarist xenophile(Should I go fanatic militarist, or xenophile?) race built on vassalizing everything, what kinda traits should I go for with that? Still unsure which traits are pitfalls.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I suggest going for enough of a unity build to be able to get both domination and supremacy fully unlocked, that'll make your game far far easier. Then vassilize half and tributary half your neighbours and you'll have shittons of fleet cap and resources.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

I guess if you're in iron man and can't revert back to before you blew it up because it's bullshit you can't preview border changes?

If there's a colony in the same system it's 100% safe to blow it up.

Not always. If there are any systems that are just barely in your borders nearby, getting rid of an outpost adjacent will probably cause you to lose it even if there is a colony in the same system as the outpost you are getting rid of. Stuff like number of pops, number of colonies and number of outposts also effects your border strength. The more you have, the more each colony/outpost extends your borders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

JuniperCake posted:

Not always. If there are any systems that are just barely in your borders nearby, getting rid of an outpost adjacent will probably cause you to lose it even if there is a colony in the same system as the outpost you are getting rid of. Stuff like number of pops, number of colonies and number of outposts also effects your border strength. The more you have, the more each colony/outpost extends your borders.

Yeah I lost access to terraforming gases by removing an outpost that was near a colony I'd just planted - if the stuff along your borders is just a couple mining or research stations you it's probably better value to get the influence from destroying the station but be wary of strategic resources right on the edges.

• Locked thread