Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

I thought about the possibility of him live-tweeting yesterday then thought "surely, even he is not THAT out there."

Welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Not sure if I missed this already, but The Intercept posted a response to the burned-source situation. Pretty much empty of content, except for trying to cast some doubt on the idea that they could be at fault.

quote:

While the FBI’s allegations against Winner have been made public through the release of an affidavit and search warrant, which were unsealed at the government’s request, it is important to keep in mind that these documents contain unproven assertions and speculation designed to serve the government’s agenda and as such warrant skepticism. Winner faces allegations that have not been proven. The same is true of the FBI’s claims about how it came to arrest Winner.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

quote:

Cryin' Comey is blabbing FAKE NEWS to the ineffective congress

Let's start a contest on who predicts a Trump live-tweet during the testimony most accurately

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/sybilt2/status/872103847153500162

:q:

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

BobTheJanitor posted:

Not sure if I missed this already, but The Intercept posted a response to the burned-source situation. Pretty much empty of content, except for trying to cast some doubt on the idea that they could be at fault.

:cripes: no one should ever give them anything ever again

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Do *any* of those oversight mechanisms appear to be doing their job right now?

You keep acting like the classification system deserves respect despite the fact that it is literally entirely based on the authority and judgement of our current president, an Alzheimer's-ridden narcissistic baboon man.

Edit: who would already be criminally charged if he weren't a Republican President

For a moment, let's assume your premise is correct. The oversight mechanisms not doing there job is an entirely separate problem, yes?

Now to push back, slightly, it does in some way appear that yes they are, since we are aware of significant problems and there are active investigations that have been brought forward through normal operations. That doesn't mean they are working at peak efficiency or couldn't be better - I'm not saying that.

Yes, the classification system does deserve respect because it's larger than the President. You making it seem like some fragile system completely at the whim of one person is disingenuous at best. It impacts and guides how hundreds of thousands, maybe millions of people, perform their job every day.

What did you think when Intel about the Manchester bombing was leaked to the press, by the way?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

In lighter news, the Trump brand must be suffering because

Trump Organization to Go Budget Friendly With ‘American Idea’ Hotel Chain

The NYT says: posted:

On Monday, the Trump Organization announced plans for a new three-star hotel chain with a patriotic flair, echoing President Trump’s campaign slogan about putting America first and reflecting the organization’s promise to enter into new deals only in the United States. The intention is to differentiate the chain, called American Idea, by featuring artifacts of American culture in the hotels, such as an old Coca-Cola machine in the lobby or American-made sundries in the rooms.

Quick! We need tacky Motels that our stupid base can afford cause they're too poor to buy our expensive tacky stuff!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

mcmagic posted:

I'm a mid 30s white dude. Trump is not coming after me.

Did you not read the AHCA proposals?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Democrats need to have Twitter open and question Comey about things Trump is live tweeting about the hearing.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Snuffman posted:

Quick! We need tacky Motels that our stupid base can afford cause they're too poor to buy our expensive tacky stuff!

I can't wait to see how much of our tax dollars get illicitly funneled into this idiotic project.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/AP_Politics/status/872124744371449856

I guess this will be before he starts live tweeting?

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
By 'told MSNBC', they mean Costa said that on Morning Joe, right? Did they talk about what a terrible, terrible move it would be? Hopefully Trump saw that bit and it triggers his idiot contrarianism and makes it a sure thing. I need them tweets.

e:

quote:

I was just talking to some White House officials this morning and their view is that the president himself wants to be the messenger, his own warrior, his own lawyer, his own spokesman,” Costa explained.
Worth emphasizing that he'll literally be acting as his own lawyer, here. Always a great idea.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Snuffman posted:

quote:

The new hotels will have no overt connection to Mr. Trump — his name will not appear anywhere, Mr. Danziger said.

Even the developers know Trump is toxic.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I just.....how?

Why in the name of god would you do this?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

repeating posted:

Let's start a contest on who predicts a Trump live-tweet during the testimony most accurately

I strongly predict that he will defend himself in response to Comey's testimony, inadvertently incriminating himself in the process.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/872127466013429760

Lotsa juicy news today boys and girls

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

repeating posted:

"Comey stammering in the stand, can't even talk straight. I was right to fire him!"

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

FizFashizzle posted:

I just.....how?

so people will watch it instead of the Comey testimony

he's wrong and he'll get beat in the ratings by Comey because he's just drawing more attention to the fact that he doesn't want us to hear it

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

FizFashizzle posted:

I just.....how?

At best, to distract non-base but listening. At worst, to reinforce his own base.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

SocketWrench posted:

Few pages back

You know, I'd say the same if it weren't for the fact both the major third parties sported morons who knew less about government than Trump does.

Eh, Nader's an egomaniac, and not nearly as smart as he thinks he is, but I think he at least has a better handle on government than Trump does. Dude still helped spoil the election, though. (although yes, Gore bears way more responsibility for running a terrible campaign)

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
It's always best to make up your alibi which you're relying on to keep you out of prison on the fly

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

There Bias Two posted:

I strongly predict that he will defend himself in response to Comey's testimony, inadvertently incriminating himself in the process.

"You're wrong, Jimmy! I met with Kislyak on TUESDAY, not Wednesday! FAKE NEWS."

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

theflyingorc posted:

so people will watch it instead of the Comey testimony

he's wrong and he'll get beat in the ratings by Comey because he's just drawing more attention to the fact that he doesn't want us to hear it

Yeah, he and his team live under the delusion that their voting base is much, much bigger than it actually is. The reality is, no one but his diehard supporters tune in to his speeches, and everyone else wants to hear what Comey's gonna say.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Something to remember, at all times, is that Trump believes he is incredibly persuasive.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

Night10194 posted:

Oh you know for a fact that the GOP is gonna take some misspeaking or misremembering of facts as a way to discredit the whole thing.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Having a speech while Comey's testifying about you means you have no idea what you're saying in relation to that testimony. It's the same deal as when Trump was giving a press conference and constantly contradicting what Tillerson was saying in his simultaneous confirmation hearing, except instead of awkward and humiliating for Tillerson it might end up as evidence against Trump.

I don't know what else he can possibly do to signal to the entire government that he's unhinged, outside of something like declaring Qatar, a country with 10,000 US personnel and a huge military base in it, an enemy of the US - oh wait.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Again, so do zoning laws.

I feel like maybe I'm not explaining myself well here.

If my city council makes a decision about zoning law, that's a legal decision, but not a moral one, not necessarily. If they zone an area for a charity hospital or public park, that might be a positive moral choice, but only because building a park or a hospital might be moral, not because zoning law is moral.

Similarly, the decision to classify a given document does not give it holy imprimatur. If a document needs to be classified for legit national security reasons, then it's classification is moral because of those national security reasons, not because of the fact of classification by itself.

Here specifically, if there's a document that explains how Russia hacked the election and that therefore shows Trump's election may have been suspect, Trump has a sinister motive to keep such evidence secret; basically, there is an inherent conflict of interest, because Trump, and anyone who holds office by his authority or appointment, have a personal incentive to keep such evidence hidden and secret, because it could lead to the loss of their jobs.

A lot of people who work with classified documents seem to believe that classification itself is a moral good, worthy of respect in the abstract, regardless of content or motive for the classification. That viewpoint is morally bankrupt.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 6, 2017

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Spaced God posted:

Oh you know for a fact that the GOP is gonna take some misspeaking or misremembering of facts as a way to discredit the whole thing.

Obviously, I more meant it as 'Trump will pounce on some minor thing and in so doing confirm he definitely had contact with Russian agents', because it would fit his usual pattern of 'poo poo all over myself while thinking I'm really clever'.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Cup of Hemlock posted:

I thought about the possibility of him live-tweeting yesterday then thought "surely, even he is not THAT out there."

Welp.

*The White House Chief Counsel opens his second Whisky bottle of the day as tears roll slowly down his face*

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Night10194 posted:

Tweet 1: (something incredibly incriminating)
Tweet 2: "delete previous tweet"

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The printer steg thing they used to identify the Intercept source is basically invisible unless you know it's already there, right? It's a colossal fuckup on their part to not know about it already, but accidentally overlooking an identification code printed in tiny yellow dots seems like a much more plausible theory than Greenwald intentionally destroying the credibility of his own news organization because Russia paid him off or whatever.

I don't think it was "printer steg", because I don't think the NSA got their copy back; it was just "it was printed" at all and they can track who printed it

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Democrats need to have Twitter open and question Comey about things Trump is live tweeting about the hearing.

They already did this at one of the earlier hearings, I want to say it was Yates.

What I'm looking forward to is Comey being asked to rebut one of these live tweets, then Trump responding to Comey's answer, so we get a conversation by proxy between Trump and Comey.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

repeating posted:

quote:

I am not a crook!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

NYT reports that Sessions is in Trump's doghouse because he recused himself, thereby causing all these legal problems in Trump's mind.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/05/...v=top-news&_r=0

(Trump's mind almost certainly being poisoned by staffers who don't like Sessions)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Deptfordx posted:

*The White House Chief Counsel opens his second Whisky bottle of the day as tears roll slowly down his face*

A reminder that Reince Priebus, mischievous and villainous elf that plagues us from an ancient puzzle box, only still has his job because no-one else wants it and he's trapped.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

Night10194 posted:

Obviously, I more meant it as 'Trump will pounce on some minor thing and in so doing confirm he definitely had contact with Russian agents', because it would fit his usual pattern of 'poo poo all over myself while thinking I'm really clever'.

Yeah but I turned it into a factual thing. My bad!

fake edit:

dont even fink about it posted:

NYT reports that Sessions is in Trump's doghouse because he recused himself, thereby causing all these legal problems in Trump's mind.

I saw some discussion that this is just some chaff because it's very clear that both Sessions and Nunez didn't actually recuse themselves and are still very much involved in the investigation.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

No one watches the Puppy Bowl, Donnie.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Fitzy Fitz posted:

No one watches the Puppy Bowl, Donnie.

i do, it's on during halftime

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

dont even fink about it posted:

Why would an article from yesterday be new to the thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I don't think it was "printer steg", because I don't think the NSA got their copy back; it was just "it was printed" at all and they can track who printed it

You can colorshift the scanned image of the document that they received from Reality Winner and expose the dots.

Mind you it may still have taken the NSA longer to find her if the Intercept hadn't disclosed the postmark on the envelope and asked if it originated from their Augusta, GA facility.

• Locked thread