Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Azhais posted:

But that unimaginably extravagant dining room is like four tiles away, I'm just gonna eat this meal off the floor and complain about it all day instead

They also need a chair at the table. If all the chairs are taken or are about to be taken (i.e. another colonist is on their way to that chair from, say, the fridge), they will eat it on the floor instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
You can get some easy early stone bricks by deconstructing those stone ruins you see lying around. I like to use that for my early freezer so an unlucky grass fire or rear end in a top hat raider can't burn down all my food.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Mzbundifund posted:

You can get some easy early stone bricks by deconstructing those stone ruins you see lying around. I like to use that for my early freezer so an unlucky grass fire or rear end in a top hat raider can't burn down all my food.
Also remember to remove the floor on the ruins.

And for some reason ruins always have matching floors underneath their wall tiles.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Cowboy hats will go a long way towards surviving heat waves. Early coolers + power are also pretty vital.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

A Moose posted:

Cowboy hats will go a long way towards surviving heat waves. Early coolers + power are also pretty vital.

Yeah, the main thing is that you need to plant a bunch of cotton right away when you start. That way it's ready right before summer and you can craft some hats.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

enraged_camel posted:

Yeah, the main thing is that you need to plant a bunch of cotton right away when you start. That way it's ready right before summer and you can craft some hats.

You can use leather too, which always seems to be available to me first. Kill a rhino and get three hats.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

enraged_camel posted:

They also need a chair at the table. If all the chairs are taken or are about to be taken (i.e. another colonist is on their way to that chair from, say, the fridge), they will eat it on the floor instead.

I have more chairs than colonists. They will still only go so far to find a table, and that distance is only about 20 tiles

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I don't suppose there's a mod out there which adds, like, washing clothes and stuff to remove the Deadman's debuff? I'm okay with using mods that just remove it or whatever, but thinking about it, I'd rather have it as a kind of processing thing so after some work I can use dropped stuff. Could even have it by tech stages: Washboard -> Sink -> Laundry Machine -> Nanocleaners or some bullshit, taking decreasing amounts of labor.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

There is a clothing repair of that removes it

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
WRT battery chat, I use the mod that adds fuses and circuit breakers (haven't updated to a16 yet).

Even with that, having one or more battery switched out of the power network is great if you get a zzzzt while you're in a period of low power generation.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i frequently keep a charged battery in storage just so i can johnny on the spot some turrets to a poison or psi ship landing

gently caress risking colonists against scythers and centipedes, i'll throw up some stone walls, sandbags, and some turrets from one of the fortifications and be fine.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Earlier in my game I had a colonist tame a rhino and decide to name it Ghostface. I brought Ghostface to a nearby settlement and sold him for some medicine. Now, over a year later, Ghostface came back! He's wild and needs to be tamed again, but his name is blue instead of white which means he apparently still belongs to the faction I sold him to? I don't know but I'm gonna try to tame him again and maybe even keep him this time. Can you release rhinos on people?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Large animals in combat are strong as poo poo, and they're generally really hard to permanently injure or kill, but they mix very poorly with ranged colonists or turrets, they're kind of their own thing.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Is there a downside to leaving fibrous mechanites untreated?

My badass 60 year old warship captain granny is my best sniper, and she's a masochist. The "Sick" debuff is smaller than the "Masochist in pain" buff, so net gain in mood, plus she is a lot more lethal with the mechanites going untreated. Her having too much pain isn't a problem because she is a sniper.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Flesh Forge posted:

Large animals in combat are strong as poo poo, and they're generally really hard to permanently injure or kill, but they mix very poorly with ranged colonists or turrets, they're kind of their own thing.

Yeah, I like to give my Tamer a melee weapon and just assign every animal with nothing better to do to him. If I need a melee rush I send out the Beastmaster!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Donkringel posted:

Is there a downside to leaving fibrous mechanites untreated?

My badass 60 year old warship captain granny is my best sniper, and she's a masochist. The "Sick" debuff is smaller than the "Masochist in pain" buff, so net gain in mood, plus she is a lot more lethal with the mechanites going untreated. Her having too much pain isn't a problem because she is a sniper.

leaving it untreated will lead to gradually increasing pain until the mechanites are so incredibly painful that she's unconscious from them alone.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Man, I really lucked out with map gen.

Mountainous coastal map with river and road where people come from only one direction. The west side of the map has only three entrances, and I walled off two of them, leaving only the river. And that itself is special because the mountain blocks off the northern bank, which means enemies have to go all the way around until they get to the crossing. That is, if they don't turn into pincushions until then!

Playing the tribe scenario so I haven't researched turrets yet. Should be even more fun when I do.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Coolguye posted:

leaving it untreated will lead to gradually increasing pain until the mechanites are so incredibly painful that she's unconscious from them alone.

Hmmm....

*Puts Painkiller Rib into Shopping Cart from Industrial Lubricants (Exotic Trader)*

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
If you get mechanites be sure to turn off medicine use on that colonist. Mechanites go away after a certain number of treatments, and it doesn't matter if those treatments are million-dollar glitterworld supermeds or a cold washcloth on the forehead.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Donkringel posted:

Hmmm....

*Puts Painkiller Rib into Shopping Cart from Industrial Lubricants (Exotic Trader)*

do be aware that they will go away without treatment after a long while, so don't risk a scary surgery.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
Anyone had any luck with using scyther blades? I made two fast guys with blades and shields. "Monster" got one shot through the shield and butcher got repurposed to be human (a real boy!) again.

I love how EPOE makes some guys more man than machine. I'm saving components to make the perfect cyborg.

In other news Butcher went on a chemical spree resulting in addiction so I nipped off both legs and have his super legs just chilling in a stockpile til he's done. Might do the same to Talks-to-Rats. These guys just don't appreciate me mowing down their enemy faction family members.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Oh holy poo poo, has "set forced target" on improvised turrets always been a thing? Because my current map has two choke points with in gunshot distance of each other and I just realized I can have my turrets plunk away at any vermin passing through without having to waste my colonists time hunting.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

GodspeedSphere posted:

Anyone had any luck with using scyther blades?

I've want to love scyther blades but it's just not worth it. Melee damage gets a multiplier if your weapon is high quality, which scyther blades never are. They just can't compare to a well-made plasteel sword. Surprisingly enough, if you want to make a melee monster, you want to give them cyborg eyes, since melee accuracy is affected by Sight and Consciousness. Manipulation, oddly enough, seems to have no effect on melee (and good thing too, or scyther blades would be even worse). Raising Consciousness is more effective than raising Sight, but it's really hard to raise consciousness without taking dangerous and addictive combat drugs, unless you play with Vegetable Garden, and then you can chug a coffee.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Viscous Soda posted:

Oh holy poo poo, has "set forced target" on improvised turrets always been a thing? Because my current map has two choke points with in gunshot distance of each other and I just realized I can have my turrets plunk away at any vermin passing through without having to waste my colonists time hunting.

It was a thing then was removed. Did he add it back finally or do you have mods

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Azhais posted:

It was a thing then was removed. Did he add it back finally or do you have mods

I do have a few mods (EPOE, A Dog Said, Harvest Everything!, Set-up camp, and LT-doormat) but even with them all disabled, I can still target the turrets on a new game, so I guess it's core.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Scyther blades would be a lot better if you could bolt them to the dude's hips and make Shiva

As they stand they're a nice bit of extra sellable loot

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Coolguye posted:

Scyther blades would be a lot better if you could bolt them to the dude's hips and make Shiva

As they stand they're a nice bit of extra sellable loot

Who buys them? I've literally never sold one. My last colony had a corner of the stockpile entirely devoted to them

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Coolguye posted:

do be aware that they will go away without treatment after a long while, so don't risk a scary surgery.

I'll enjoy it while it lasts!

So untreated the pain goes to 60%. Messes with her consciousness but she's still mobile and can light up a joint. Meanwhile she has a nice +15 buff, that offsets the -5 sick debuff. The mechanites also increase her movement to slightly below full mech legs, so with a sniper rifle she can kite all day.

Azhais posted:

Who buys them? I've literally never sold one. My last colony had a corner of the stockpile entirely devoted to them

Exotic traders I believe.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Is there a way to just tell your guys to throw poo poo out? I've had a couple of dessicated rabbit corpses clogging up various stores for ages and there's no obvious way to make them get rid of it.

Being able to mark anything for dumping as garbage seems sensible but Rimworld doesn't seem to do that?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Make another, bigger dumping stockpile well outside your walls. Make sure that those clogged up stock piles either don't allow rotten or don't allow corpses.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah if people are hoarding corpses it's because either you don't have enough haulers or because you told them to keep the corpses or because you haven't assigned anywhere else to put them.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Oh, yeah. I missed the Allow Rotten tick. All fixed!

Verloc
Feb 15, 2001

Note to self: Posting 'lulz' is not a good idea.
What determines the cabin fever moodlet? My best artist lost his wife to a warg attack and decided to smoke a shitload of flake to deal with the pain. After multiple attempts to get him clean, I finally had to give him the total Cask of Amontillado treatment and wall him off till he sweated out the addiction. I included a small outdoor dog run area with a horseshoe pin in his prison deluxe rehab facility, but he still wound up with pretty severe cabin fever by the time he was done getting clean.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

cabin fever increases by staying indoors and lowers by staying outdoors. you did the right thing, it just sounds like the joy activity he had indoors wasn't enough. the only other thing you could have done is load him up with some wood and make him craft a grand wooden sculpture on an outdoor art bench during his time recovering, or make him do research outside.

overall, it's sometimes difficult to keep people outdoors for long enough to keep it away when they're sweating out an addiction, and my general advice is to not worry about it. the reality of the situation is that someone going cold turkey is going to be miserable and the best you can do is to try to keep them from going apeshit in a spot where they can hurt other people. walling them off with food and a nice room is really all the more you can hope to do before getting back to the day to day problems of the colony.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Coolguye posted:

cabin fever increases by staying indoors and lowers by staying outdoors. you did the right thing, it just sounds like the joy activity he had indoors wasn't enough. the only other thing you could have done is load him up with some wood and make him craft a grand wooden sculpture on an outdoor art bench during his time recovering, or make him do research outside.

overall, it's sometimes difficult to keep people outdoors for long enough to keep it away when they're sweating out an addiction, and my general advice is to not worry about it. the reality of the situation is that someone going cold turkey is going to be miserable and the best you can do is to try to keep them from going apeshit in a spot where they can hurt other people. walling them off with food and a nice room is really all the more you can hope to do before getting back to the day to day problems of the colony.

Cabin fever vanishes instantly the moment they step outside. During long toxic fallouts I just draft people and step them outside for half a second now and then to clear it up

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i had been using 5*5 bedrooms all throughout A17 but switched back to 7*7 for this release and the constant +5 buff is definitely worth it imho

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Azhais posted:

Cabin fever vanishes instantly the moment they step outside. During long toxic fallouts I just draft people and step them outside for half a second now and then to clear it up

You don't have to stay indoors during toxic fallout. You just have to be under a roof, which can be outdoors.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Efexeye posted:

i had been using 5*5 bedrooms all throughout A17 but switched back to 7*7 for this release and the constant +5 buff is definitely worth it imho

I thought it was 6/6 for the buff?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Volmarias posted:

I thought it was 6/6 for the buff?

i like odd numbers of walls so i can center the doors :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I started playing again after a long break and man, Randy does not want to give me more colonists. I've had an active colony for a year and I'm still on the starting three.