Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wdwnt put up a pretty good post about it, just replace expired tickets with MDX FP changing. I guess a potion of the problems with MdX has been constant DDoS from people doing fastpass swaps lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
OK so nothing crazy. Pandora probably didn't help the DDOS.

Edit: Haha. DisBoards is having a meltdown about needing to have a valid ticket to use FP now.

And they are already promoting a work around for the restrictions :bang:

Zero One fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 5, 2017

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I didn't even know this was a thing. Whoever does this deserves to be thrown out the park without refund. gently caress em

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Third party VIP tours was a big business too, but I imagine it's going to be hard to even crack down on that.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
How does that even work? I thought you couldn't even make a fastpass without a ticket or AP?

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
You used to be able to book same day fast passes with just a band and expired tickets, so people would make tons of then for lower popularity rides that had 0 day availability.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
What is the purpose of that? Just taking fast passes away from people to be a dick?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
You could abuse stuff like book the fastpass fireworks viewing which is pretty much a tier 1 choice everywhere without forsaking your tier 1 choice and being able to continue booking your 4th/5th/etc passes throughout the day.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bottom Liner posted:

What is the purpose of that? Just taking fast passes away from people to be a dick?

Third party VIP tours would sell them as "wait in no lines". And like could careless said "best fireworks viewing area"

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Yeah, I've been reading up on this today, didn't even know it was possible, and it's a dick move. People can ruin anything can't they?

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

Zero One posted:

Edit: Haha. DisBoards is having a meltdown about needing to have a valid ticket to use FP now.

I dipped my toe over there to see what they were saying... holy crap those people are something else. END OF THE WORLD BECAUSE DISNEY FIXED A LOOPHOLE THAT MEANS WE HAVE TO EXPERIENCE THE PARKS LIKE PLEBS!

The sense of entitlement at the literal expense of other people is astounding to me

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
The DIS board people are those incredibly fake classy people but are secretly just scum. Those boards could be torched and nothing of value would be lost.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I mean I kinda get it. Disney is expensive, it's crowded, it's hot, and everyone feels entitled because they're spending so much money to have a magical time. Human decency seems to get tossed out the window pretty quickly though.

It's surprising how little planning people do as well, planning makes all the difference when it comes to an enjoyable WDW trip. We've got a system down and we have a great time no matter how busy it is. Along with planning I think setting reasonable expectations are the next biggest issue.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't even wait in lines anymore. I just use my fastpasses and if I can get more cool if not then whatever. Not worth it anymore.

Granted I wish I knew about this trick before I was a CM

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

When we went we didn't know about booking fast passes and dining months in advance. Disney could do a better job of drawing attention to that imo.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Tatsuta Age posted:

When we went we didn't know about booking fast passes and dining months in advance. Disney could do a better job of drawing attention to that imo.

I always get a pamphlet before a trip that has all the important dates on it.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Tatsuta Age posted:

I got an email about booking FP & dining in advance but it was a few hours after each window opened so functionally useless. Fortunately I already knew what to do :eng101:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Unmature posted:

Just scrolled through these images alternating between saying "whoa", "holy crap", and "wow!" out loud.

I was JUST telling my girlfriend how I want some Parks related art on our walls. I might have to buy one or several of these. That $200 deal is tempting.

I just realized I don't think I ever posted this video I made in here about all the most obscure animation references I could find at WDW during my first trip ever in December: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5V9ITtzH-0

Hey, just wanted to say that this video is great, and I also watched your video on Goofy and A Goofy Movie, which is still one of my favorite animated movies ever, and I subscribed to your channel. So yeah!

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
We pretty consistently get the notice in the mail about important upcoming dates for our trip like booking FPs and dining

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Yeah I had a room over Memorial weekend that I booked about 20 days before and I got about 10 emails with reminders about booking fastpass and dining reservations.

Fejsze posted:

I dipped my toe over there to see what they were saying... holy crap those people are something else. END OF THE WORLD BECAUSE DISNEY FIXED A LOOPHOLE THAT MEANS WE HAVE TO EXPERIENCE THE PARKS LIKE PLEBS!

The sense of entitlement at the literal expense of other people is astounding to me

Ugggg... I just found another thread there where they talk about booking a room that they never use so they can get access to FP+ 60 days out.

So what you say, if they are willing to pay for it? It seems you can book a room for 1 day and get access to multiple days worth of FP+ booking (limited only by how many days are on your ticket). Plus... you know... lowering availability and raising prices for other people who really want rooms.

Edit: Book a campsite at Ft. Wilderness for 1 night for $50 and say there are 10 people staying there to get 10 free magicbands which you then use for the (now prohibited thankfully) FP+ cheat. :psyduck:

Zero One fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 6, 2017

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's kinda shady but ehhhhh Disney wins in the end. I wish I knew about it before, I would've did it THANKS BRAKSGIRL!!! (Just kidding ;) ).

The whole system is a mess, fastpasses dining etc. disneys had to hire like crazy also but there really is no better way to do it other than same day sign ups but then:
A: I'd be outta a job
B: it would be a mad dash to the restaurants

I just don't know how to fix these problems. Just be glad you aren't one of THOSE people who get mad when they can't book CRT or Bibbiptu for their thirteen children a day before hand and then pitch a fit about it.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

DizzyBum posted:

Hey, just wanted to say that this video is great, and I also watched your video on Goofy and A Goofy Movie, which is still one of my favorite animated movies ever, and I subscribed to your channel. So yeah!

Thank you so much!

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I much prefer fastpass+ to the paper systems. Those who disagree just need to be reminded of the mad dash to toy Story mania at rope drop otherwise your paper return would be somewhere around 7pm.
Dining I think could use some tweaking these days, but it's become less and less of a problem for us to get reservations, either because we are less concerned with "popular" restaurants or because of the significant increase in quality dining. The free dining deals going to poo poo will really help with that as well.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

Yeah, it's super chill now to use your three Fastpasses early in the day, then book a new one in line or while you eat.

I think the paper fastpasses favor small groups of people or childless adults since they can have better ability to run around and collect them and are more likely to go commando style, open to close. But I think Fastpass+ is more equitable to more people. And while it just opened, based off of what I've read Fastpass+ is way more successful than what's happening at Volcano Bay and Tapu Tapu so far.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like fastpass+ more for sure.

Do you guys like Morimoto? No one ever books it so :shrug:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Empress Brosephine posted:

Morimoto was one of the 10 best meals of my life.

The food was excellent but the service and atmosphere put it over the top for me. We're going back our next trip to WDW

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Morimoto was very very good, yes.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Edna Mode posted:

Yeah, it's super chill now to use your three Fastpasses early in the day, then book a new one in line or while you eat.

I think the paper fastpasses favor small groups of people or childless adults since they can have better ability to run around and collect them and are more likely to go commando style, open to close. But I think Fastpass+ is more equitable to more people. And while it just opened, based off of what I've read Fastpass+ is way more successful than what's happening at Volcano Bay and Tapu Tapu so far.

Paper fastpasses are awful w/ small children, fastpass+ is much better. At DLR they have single rider lines for most rides which helps to alleviate the problem of how bad it is to get paper fastpasses with small children.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
There was a fun bug in the fp+ system when it first launched where you had a short window after tapping your band at the 2nd station (merging with the regular queue) where the app didn't count it as used so you could move it to another ride. I managed to set a personal record of about 12 fastpasses at mk using it.

The throwaway rooms for early fp bookings work well if you're staying off property but you have to actually go and check in so it's a weird hassle. I've never done it, but I have booked a temporary fake reservation to move my dining booking window up to help get rare tables like v&a's.

I do think that they should monetize fastpasses better. Either make the whole system pay to play like universal, give extras based on the resort you're staying at, or offer packs for purchase. I'm really surprised the last one isn't a think. Buy a mk self guided tour pack with pre schedules passes for space mountain, mine train, Haunted mansion, and Peter Pan where the pack starts at a certain time and you have to use all passes within 2 hours or something.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Morimoto is easily the best restaurant I've ever been to. I've eaten there twice and both meals were expertly crafted and the service was phenomenal. The first trip ended with a magician showing up out of nowhere right after our check to do card tricks at our table. It's also very cool how every server we encountered had obviously been trained thoroughly about the menu and taught about Morimoto himself. Just ask one about the place and they'll have all the details you could want.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Richard M Nixon posted:

There was a fun bug in the fp+ system when it first launched where you had a short window after tapping your band at the 2nd station (merging with the regular queue) where the app didn't count it as used so you could move it to another ride. I managed to set a personal record of about 12 fastpasses at mk using it.

The throwaway rooms for early fp bookings work well if you're staying off property but you have to actually go and check in so it's a weird hassle. I've never done it, but I have booked a temporary fake reservation to move my dining booking window up to help get rare tables like v&a's.

I do think that they should monetize fastpasses better. Either make the whole system pay to play like universal, give extras based on the resort you're staying at, or offer packs for purchase. I'm really surprised the last one isn't a think. Buy a mk self guided tour pack with pre schedules passes for space mountain, mine train, Haunted mansion, and Peter Pan where the pack starts at a certain time and you have to use all passes within 2 hours or something.

Disney has online check in so you don't even need to show up at your resort.

And gently caress monetizing fast pass. It's the worst thing. I know it's coming though and I'll be sad when it does.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Universal requiring payment for Express is the entire reason I don't bother with getting Express.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

chitoryu12 posted:

Universal requiring payment for Express is the entire reason I don't bother with getting Express.

It's pretty expensive too isn't it? I remember after dropping $300 for two one day passes I was pretty grossed out about the concept of paying for express.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Tatsuta Age posted:

It's pretty expensive too isn't it? I remember after dropping $300 for two one day passes I was pretty grossed out about the concept of paying for express.

It's almost the same price as the park ticket itself.

$60/day for Universal Studios, $50/day for Islands of Adventure, or $65 for both.

I hope WDW doesn't monetize fast passes. Yeah it's a little disappointing to not get what you want all the time (I missed out on Jungle Cruise last time I went) but it just feels wrong to me.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 6, 2017

Lloyddy
Sep 27, 2000

Renegret posted:

It's almost the same price as the park ticket itself.

$60/day for Universal Studios, $50/day for Islands of Adventure, or $65 for both.

I hope WDW doesn't monetize fast passes. Yeah it's a little disappointing to not get what you want all the time (I missed out on Jungle Cruise last time I went) but it just feels wrong to me.

I think it usually works out better value to just book a room at one of the Universal hotels where you get the Express pass included.

I also hope they never monitize Fastpass, it ain't perfect at the moment but I'd rather have the current system for free rather than paying for something that might be better.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well if what we were told is coming actually comes then what they plan to do for fastpass monetization is even worse imho. They MIGHT have backed down on it but from what I could tell is it was ready to launch but we never got the ok.

It's definitely coming and probably soon.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also thanks for the tips on morimoto. I'd like to go atleast also just to see what mannequins looked like.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
drat thread, all the talk of Morimoto convinced me. I made a reservation for lunch for my trip in September.

Anyone have a recommendation for something to try?

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Also thanks for the tips on morimoto. I'd like to go atleast also just to see what mannequins looked like.

+1 for Morimoto's. Been there once for a vendor thing cocktail hour on the upstairs deck and once for a sitdown dinner with the family. Also their street food takeout food is really good, I'm addicted to those "tacos".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Morimoto's is easily one of the top restaurants in Orlando.