Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah man, I can't imagine how it feels to move your mouse and have your character move a quarter of a second later. How do you even aim with that?

E:

VVVVVVVVVV

I figured he was shorthanding that.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

250ms would be a quarter second

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

dogstile posted:

I figured he was shorthanding that.

Nah, just 30... It was a 2010 model dell IPS monitor. Upgrading to a Acer Predator XB271HU since the price dropped on newegg.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

How does the "attack the objective" command go exactly? I mean I know that it's supposed to be me looking at objective and pressing F, but that works like 1/3 of the time and the rest I'm just spamming "understood. Understood" like a loving idiot.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Aim at the objective, but you'll only say attack it if an icon comes up around the objective, you'll know what I mean when you see it.

headcase posted:

Nah, just 30... It was a 2010 model dell IPS monitor. Upgrading to a Acer Predator XB271HU since the price dropped on newegg.

I think you'll notice it but in the sense of things will just seem slightly quicker. Nothing huge, but it's nice

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

headcase posted:

You're gaining a frame. Don't think you're gonna notice anything, really.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

dogstile posted:

Aim at the objective, but you'll only say attack it if an icon comes up around the objective, you'll know what I mean when you see it.

I think you'll notice it but in the sense of things will just seem slightly quicker. Nothing huge, but it's nice

Sweet! So now I get to be a GM Mcree.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Here's a general monitor question. Is there a noticeable difference between 4ms and 1ms? My first two HD monitors have been 1ms, but I see tons of 4ms monitors these days. Is that the norm?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

ToastyPotato posted:

Here's a general monitor question. Is there a noticeable difference between 4ms and 1ms? My first two HD monitors have been 1ms, but I see tons of 4ms monitors these days. Is that the norm?

That was probably response time, and I think it's just how the transition from TN to IPS worked out. Response time is a different thing from input lag anyway, there were tons of 1ms response time TVs with horrendous input lag numbers.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

ToastyPotato posted:

if you see a 1ms, it's a TN. 4ms is the best for gaming grade IPS panels. It's an imperceptible difference and more of a "marketing splash" stat. There are actually several other delay factors that meaningfully determine if a monitor seems sluggish or not

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Double XP weekend - get your Anniversary boxes, yo!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Think of all the sprays, voice lines and player icons you'll unlock!

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Overwatch is so threatened by better game BATTLEBIRTH going f2p they resort to giving away XP on the same week? Rip Overwatch.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Overwatch is so threatened by better game BATTLEBIRTH going f2p they resort to giving away XP on the same week? Rip Overwatch.

Real talk, they keep advertising Battleborn as doing like, a free trial. And not Free To Play. Because they are incapable of making any good decisions regarding that game

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

i couldnt finish my first match of bubblebroth, its so loving bad.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Macaluso posted:

Real talk, they keep advertising Battleborn as doing like, a free trial. And not Free To Play. Because they are incapable of making any good decisions regarding that game

This is purely because they were extremely and vocally adamant that it'd never go free to play and want to make it seem like they aren't going back on that. It's silly.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Paid a few bucks to gamble and pulled Tracer / D.Va with enough coins to nab Zarya so I'm satisfied. Nothing like popping those golds just to see duplicates though.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Are paid boxes more likely to drop better stuff?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

hiddenriverninja posted:

Are paid boxes more likely to drop better stuff?

No.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Hey all,
is there a way to play old events? Specifically the PvE events?

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Moriatti posted:

Hey all,
is there a way to play old events? Specifically the PvE events?

No, because Blizzard hates fun.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Moddington posted:

No, because Blizzard hates fun.

Which, coincidentally, is also why they designed the old PvE events. :v:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I figure we'll get an arcade playlist of pve events once there's enough of them for it to be worth doing. right now there's just the 2 and that would get old real fast

wonder if they'll ever expand the pve stuff into something more significant

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

yea lol watch them further punch down for some reason and emulate BAGGLEBORT to turn them into a packaged SP/CO-OP experience

which i guess would be fine actually

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
I've been trying to record VODs to beg for help getting mediocre (I really want to hit diamond just once :() but ran into an odd issue I wondered if anyone else was having. It's important to note that until a few days ago, none of this was happening, and there haven't been any changes to my software or hardware other than, like, Overwatch bugfixing patches.

Nowadays, if I run OBS and try to either stream or record, Overwatch absolutely just starts performing like rancid dog poop. I mean, even on low performance, I start getting 40-50 FPS and it starts noticeably and unplayably stuttering, where without streaming/recording I get a perfectly smooth 144 fps for my 144 fps monitor on ultra-high settings. I'm not recording or streaming at a very aggressive quality- 720p, 60fps- and more importantly I could do this just fine a week ago. I've checked task manager and there's nothing unusual sitting there and saying HEY IM A NEW PROCESS CHOKING YOUR PROCESSOR OUT, HOW YOU DOIN for me to end. Anyone else hit any "actually, this week I, your computer, have decided screw your VODs" roadbumps like this?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

HATECUBE posted:

i couldnt finish my first match of bubblebroth, its so loving bad.

I mean it's FPSMOBA and if you don't like MOBAs you won't like Batttleborn regardless. I actually quite enjoyed it back when it came out and there were actually people to play with.

Now though? Did you know they just released a new character? Sure doesn't seem like if you go to the game right now

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I mean, I have to assume that if you run task manager with both open it's maxed out right? Or spiking at the very least.

If it's not doing that you can rule out your cpu.

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

gonna hit you with his cockatrice

Mukaikubo posted:

I've been trying to record VODs to beg for help getting mediocre (I really want to hit diamond just once :() but ran into an odd issue I wondered if anyone else was having. It's important to note that until a few days ago, none of this was happening, and there haven't been any changes to my software or hardware other than, like, Overwatch bugfixing patches.

Nowadays, if I run OBS and try to either stream or record, Overwatch absolutely just starts performing like rancid dog poop. I mean, even on low performance, I start getting 40-50 FPS and it starts noticeably and unplayably stuttering, where without streaming/recording I get a perfectly smooth 144 fps for my 144 fps monitor on ultra-high settings. I'm not recording or streaming at a very aggressive quality- 720p, 60fps- and more importantly I could do this just fine a week ago. I've checked task manager and there's nothing unusual sitting there and saying HEY IM A NEW PROCESS CHOKING YOUR PROCESSOR OUT, HOW YOU DOIN for me to end. Anyone else hit any "actually, this week I, your computer, have decided screw your VODs" roadbumps like this?

Do you have an nvidia card? If you install all their bloatware garbage you get access to shadowplay which records directly off the gpu and is real fast. You can even set a hotkey to save the past X minutes to video and just hit that at the end of a match.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Kassoon posted:

Do you have an nvidia card? If you install all their bloatware garbage you get access to shadowplay which records directly off the gpu and is real fast. You can even set a hotkey to save the past X minutes to video and just hit that at the end of a match.

OBS has access to the same encoder (NVENC).

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ02zSgmPxs

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

honestly playing sym in qp is the funnest ive had with the game outside of evenly balanced comp

they get

so

loving

MAD

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

HATECUBE posted:

honestly playing sym in qp is the funnest ive had with the game outside of evenly balanced comp

they get

so

loving

MAD

She's kind of stupid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS8ZYze3WzE

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

She got almost 900 HP worth of ult charge off of that roadhog uncontested. That's gonna boost up your ult massively, no matter who you're playing.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Hey XBOX goons, I'm playing right now if you're on. GT: Flexible Ethics

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

berenzen posted:

She got almost 900 HP worth of ult charge off of that roadhog uncontested. That's gonna boost up your ult massively, no matter who you're playing.

Other supports have trouble dishing out 900 damage in 4 seconds but fair enough.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

I refuse to believe that isn't a custom or arcade game

seriously tho only bads bitch about sym. none of her poo poo flies in comp. I'm no blinky but I know that real DPS just flick around and kill her as soon as they hear the beam. all she really does is punish people out of position enough to deserve it

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

Elman posted:

Other supports have trouble dishing out 900 damage in 4 seconds but fair enough.

other supports can also heal, tho

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
also RH was massively out of position and played real badly

hog feeding=/=sym is op

wit
Jul 26, 2011
Stationary, 1hp objects the size of footballs that sound like hoovers and have bright blue lines pointing to them when active. Just sayin. Carwash me once, shame on you. Carwash me twice, shame on everyone in my team other than me who's job it is to splash them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

phthalocyanine posted:

other supports can also heal, tho

Yeah, Symmetra is completely reliant on her ult for basic functionality, and once it's up it can last for minutes before she can start charging up another one. So yeah, she's going to be built to charge ult quickly.