Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
it auto tunes the refresh rate and makes it up to 120 ghz on videos and stuff for a buttery smooth experience while conserving battery power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
hm I am not sure if I need my Youtube episodes of Forensic Files to look like soap operas.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

hm I am not sure if I need my Youtube episodes of Forensic Files to look like soap operas.

unless it does motion interpolation for new, artificial frames it's going to look normal.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

you're confusing two things. they're not going to run motion interpolation on your videos. only animations/games and videos at 120fps will actually benefit

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
ah OK. That's pretty cool. I did not know it could switch like that. From what I remember of my friends who have LCD (I only have plasmas :smug: ) they always said they had to turn it off. I guess maybe TVs can't do it but the iPad can?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

ah OK. That's pretty cool. I did not know it could switch like that. From what I remember of my friends who have LCD (I only have plasmas :smug: ) they always said they had to turn it off. I guess maybe TVs can't do it but the iPad can?

it's just another stupid on-by-default option in the tv menus like DYNAMIC SUPERSURROUND or ULTRA MOTIONPLUS

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

and "most people" actually don't even notice it one way or the other, they just figure that bigger number == better than and blink stupidly at you when you try to educate them on the dangers of Soap Opera Effect

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

that poo poo makes me motion sick to look at

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I think someone stole my SE package from the porch because everyone knows how good they are

:rip:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

that poo poo makes me motion sick to look at

the rubber band effect on the motion as the tv's lovely processor tries to keep interpolated video in sync with the audio is seriously distracting

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

it looks especially bad during fast action scenes where the frame doubling just turns the shots into jittery piles of poo poo.

and again, normals dont notice even if vin diesel's car looks like it's shuddering off from this plane of existence.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

A 120hz display has nothing to do with motion interpolated video, vidiots.
It just enables much smoother scrolling, transitions, moving windows and other UI elements around.
And adaptive refresh rates mean you can have perfect frame pacing no matter if the video you're watching is 60fps, 50fps, 24fps, 48fps, 59.94fps or whatever.

Once you've worked on a 120+ hz display for a couple of days, going back to 60hz just feels old, slow and clunky.

https://www.testufo.com/#test=framerates
https://www.testufo.com/#test=blackframes

when you watch low frame rate video at the cinema they insert black frames to counteract motion blur from your eyes tracking moving objects, on a home display in a well lit room 24fps looks like juddery garbage in comparison when it just does a hard transition from frame to frame.
motion interpolation was an attempt to counteract eyestrain from all that judder, unfortunately it is really good at revealing bad acting, props and cgi effects.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

120hz + low latency for the ipencil is probably the best use case, it might feel almost something like using an actual pencil rather than the weirdly uncomfortable laggy mess that using an active digitizer is normally

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
the soviet union just used a pencil

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
new iPad pros are sweet. 120hz is important for smoother scrolling when you're looking that closely at a big screen. also 3 core A10 fusion chips :hellyeah:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ya, ipad pro looks sweet, that and actually working egpu are the neat things to come out of this event. neither a huge market, but both good things for people who exist

i am actually a bit surprised how decent this event was when one ignores some of the properly stupid things, apple may be copying the surface line, but they were always the better bet for a company to execute it properly

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

r u ready to WALK posted:

A 120hz display has nothing to do with motion interpolated video, vidiots.
It just enables much smoother scrolling, transitions, moving windows and other UI elements around.
And adaptive refresh rates mean you can have perfect frame pacing no matter if the video you're watching is 60fps, 50fps, 24fps, 48fps, 59.94fps or whatever.

Once you've worked on a 120+ hz display for a couple of days, going back to 60hz just feels old, slow and clunky.

https://www.testufo.com/#test=framerates
https://www.testufo.com/#test=blackframes

when you watch low frame rate video at the cinema they insert black frames to counteract motion blur from your eyes tracking moving objects, on a home display in a well lit room 24fps looks like juddery garbage in comparison when it just does a hard transition from frame to frame.
motion interpolation was an attempt to counteract eyestrain from all that judder, unfortunately it is really good at revealing bad acting, props and cgi effects.

yeah i know, im jst saying it sucks dude we already know what it is

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

whats really nauseating is how they keep bringing out new display technologies that are only available on a certain flavour of a certain product at first, and may or may not become available on other products eventually

oleophobic coating (iphone 3gs)
retina (iphone 4)
antiglare coating (mbp retina)
retina HD (iphone 6+)
pencil (ipad pro 12.9)
3d touch (iphone 6s)
true tone (ipad pro 9.7 but not 12.9)
10bit/hdr (iphone 7)
4K (imac)
5K (imac)
120hz (ipad pro 10.5)

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

:thunk:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

THC posted:

whats really nauseating is how they keep bringing out new display technologies that are only available on a certain flavour of a certain product at first, and may or may not become available on other products eventually

retina (iphone 4)
retina HD (iphone 6+)
pencil (ipad pro 12.9)
3d touch (iphone 6s)
10bit/hdr (iphone 7)
4K (imac)
5K (imac)
120hz (ipad pro 10.5)

fwiw the 12.9" ipad pro has 120 hz and true tone now

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Endless Mike posted:

fwiw the 12.9" ipad pro has 120 hz and true tone now

10bit/HDR too iirc

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

THC posted:

retina (iphone 4)
retina HD (iphone 6+)
pencil (ipad pro 12.9)
3d touch (iphone 6s)
10bit/hdr (iphone 7)
4K (imac)
5K (imac)
120hz (ipad pro 10.5)

you forgot oled (apple watch and touchbar)

Perplx fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 6, 2017

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

THC posted:

retina (iphone 4)
retina HD (iphone 6+)
pencil (ipad pro 12.9)
3d touch (iphone 6s)
10bit/hdr (iphone 7)
4K (imac)
5K (imac)
120hz (ipad pro 10.5)

so your complaint is that newer things are better than older things?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

no it's the complaint that the $300 grammapad doesn't have as good of a screen as the $700 pro

pram
Jun 10, 2001

The Management posted:

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I thought the consensus was that after Steve died, new things are worse than old things (apple branded ones, I mean)

pram
Jun 10, 2001
wrong

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

I thought the consensus was that after Steve died, new things are worse than old things (apple branded ones, I mean)

only some of the new things

and they're still much better than the alternatives

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

The Management posted:

just that it's hard to keep track of all the new display features and which devices get the new thing (ie ipad 9.7 had true tone but the 12.9 didn't for a while)

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

poty posted:

finally i can wear my avatar

what is your av from?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

THC posted:

just that it's hard to keep track of all the new display features and which devices get the new thing (ie ipad 9.7 had true tone but the 12.9 didn't for a while)

that was a bit of weirdness but it's far from normal. and the 9 inch was released later.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

The Management posted:

its weird that the new ipad pro doesnt have 3d touch i guess you cant have it and the pencil sensing layer at the same time

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

what is your av from?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heidi,_Girl_of_the_Alps

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

poty posted:

its weird that the new ipad pro doesnt have 3d touch i guess you cant have it and the pencil sensing layer at the same time

i'd guess it just doesn't work right on that large of an area or feels weird since no ipads have it

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

ios11 supporting flac

https://thenextweb.com/apple/2017/06/06/ios-11-flac-audio-iphone-ipad/

quote:

Yesterday, Apple announced the latest reiteration of its mobile operating system and while regular consumers will have to wait until autumn to try out the new iOS 11 on their iPhone and iPad devices, developers are already taking advantage of their early access to the beta version.

Redditors who have already installed the developer beta are reporting that Apple has purportedly included full playback support for FLAC audio files in iOS 11. This means users now have the option to blast high-quality music files straight from their iPads and iPhones.

The functionality was first spotted on an iPhone 6S Plus running iOS 11 Beta 1 and is reportedly available as part of the newly announced file-management app, Files.

Up until now, Apple had deliberately opted to ignore offering playback support for FLAC files in both iTunes and iOS – though there are numerous third-party apps to do the trick. But it appears things are finally about to change.

In addition to support for FLAC, Apple is introducing a ton of new features that could kickstart the transformation of iOS from simply a mobile operating system to a legitimate hybrid platform with desktop functionalities.

After all, one of the main reasons Apple is launching Files is to give iPad owners more flexibility to use their tablets as improvised laptop stand-ins.

lol

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
apple is about to be great again

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

i tried to upgrade my MBA from El Capitan to Sierra

the Sierra installer ran out of hard drive space and crashed

now it doesn't boot

thanks timb

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

10 bucks files is hacked and jailbreaking is made even easier than it already is

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

now it doesn't boot

thanks timb

im now imaging a caricatureish pirates of the carribean 5 themes diploma attesting that you are El Capitan of Business Administration

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

now it doesn't boot

thanks timb

it jus twerks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

apple computer system is the only thing that did broke so hard i had to take it to the shop. sure, comedy sample size and i should've know better than the mantra quoted, but time capsule syncing broken sectors was far down the list of things id even conaider

• Locked thread