Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

also "Mary Shelley is not science fiction" is an argument i can understand, i don't agree but i get the sorta anti-essentialist logic behind it

"Philip K. Dick is not science fiction" is just snobbery trying to poach good genre writers :colbert:

I've had people try to tell me Gremlins is science fiction. Sci-fi fans want to appropriate everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
What is a definition of science fiction that doesn't include Frankenstein?

Mary Shelley is commonly credited with creating the genre.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I've had people try to tell me Gremlins is science fiction. Sci-fi fans want to appropriate everything.

Sci-Fi is such a broad term. Like, Her is sci-fi, even though it isn't.

Those people are foolish if they think Gremlins is more sci-fi than it is horror.

Snak posted:

Space and aliens.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Snak posted:

A definition that relegates genre to stuff that's below a certain level of perceived quality. Like if someone were to say Blood Meridian wasn't a Western or Mason & Dixon wasn't historical fiction.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
As it happens I am currently rereading Frankenstein, and whether its science fiction or not, Victor Frankenstein is a whiny rear end in a top hat.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Link. Now.
I make no promises as to the picture quality or order of the episodes, but here they are.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUxI09AS8MI&list=PL9U6ws7o3ik6ZW9k8d2IcbZnWrNFzIn0V

There are 471 videos on this playlist. :shepface:

Seems like some episodes got split into multiple parts for some reason and that's why there are so many.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Grendels Dad posted:

As it happens I am currently rereading Frankenstein, and whether its science fiction or not, Victor Frankenstein is a whiny rear end in a top hat.

I mean, given the poo poo that happens to him, he can't be too sympathetic or the Monster loses any ambiguity.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
That horrible course story sure sounds like a TA desperately trying to make the task of grading essays a more manageable affair so they can get on with their actual PhD work that they signed up for.
Limiting the allowed sources is definitely a way to make it less of an absolute nightmare for them to grade. I'm trying to imagine having to go through a classroom worth of citations to figure out whether students are actually citing properly or just making up poo poo.

That being said, this sucks rear end and maybe the university shouldn't make severely underpaid and disinterested PhD students teach classes like that.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Brainiac Five posted:

A definition that relegates genre to stuff that's below a certain level of perceived quality. Like if someone were to say Blood Meridian wasn't a Western or Mason & Dixon wasn't historical fiction.

Did someone say Mason & Dixon?

If you liked that then read Francis Spufford's Golden Hill. It's less ambitious but an easier read. I loved it. It reminded me strongly of M&D; I emailed him and he confirmed the explicit similarities, as M&D is one of his favourite books too.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Edit: N/M, found what I needed

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 6, 2017

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Grendels Dad posted:

Then again, so is the monster.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

therattle posted:

Did someone say Mason & Dixon?

If you liked that then read Francis Spufford's Golden Hill. It's less ambitious but an easier read. I loved it. It reminded me strongly of M&D; I emailed him and he confirmed the explicit similarities, as M&D is one of his favourite books too.

How'd you get an advance readers copy? It's not even out yet.

Francis.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Anyone in here watch wonder woman yet?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
yes

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Yeah, it's deffo overhyped

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Gorman Thomas posted:

Yeah, it's deffo overhyped

That's kiiiind of what I was worried about, given the 93% RT score...

*sigh*

Still, it's between this and alien today, so idk.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

The Bananana posted:

*sigh*

both!

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

You are one anime motherfucker!

Skwirl posted:

What was the final score and what was the score at the top of the ninth, because if there's not a huge difference that would be torture for me to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlORWhsJjNM

Safety Factor posted:

I have just found out that every episode of Japanese Iron Chef is on Youtube. :getin:

Hell yeah, I used to love me some OG Iron Chef

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Alhazred posted:

Then again, so is the monster.

The monster ends up being a typical redditer MRA whining about he "deserves" a woman he can sleep with despite not exhibiting any decent personality or putting any effort into attracting anybody.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

The Bananana posted:

*sigh*

They're both flawed movies with some individually great moments. Of the two, Alien Covenant's moments are better.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Dr Monkeysee posted:

The monster ends up being a typical redditer MRA whining about he "deserves" a woman he can sleep with despite not exhibiting any decent personality or putting any effort into attracting anybody.

*is an 8 foot tall monster who is a species onto himself and shunned by everyone he sees* "hmmm better work on my pickup lines"

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The Monster is also asking to be accepted as a living being equal to humanity who can reproduce, to be Adam rather than Lucifer. Which is why Bride of Frankenstein is so heavy on homoeroticism.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

*is an 8 foot tall monster who is a species onto himself and shunned by everyone he sees* "hmmm better work on my pickup lines"

Easy to miss the part of the novel where The Creature learns to speak by living out of sight of a family and observing their behavior, then tries to speak to the family face to face despite knowing how hideous he appears even to himself. Nope, he just wasn't trying hard enough, you see.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Corrosion posted:

Easy to miss the part of the novel where The Creature learns to speak by living out of sight of a family and observing their behavior, then tries to speak to the family face to face despite knowing how hideous he appears even to himself.

"Let's interrupt this story about man's hubris to tell a love story about a christian man and an arabic woman"

quote:

Nope, he just wasn't trying hard enough, you see.
He could at the very least tried to not kill everyone he meets. Its an relatively easy way to not appear monstrous.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Grendels Dad posted:

You are taking 'steroids' pretty literally, I see. Maybe 'supercharged' would have been a better word.

Predators is absolutely about bigger and badder, which does not necessarily mean that every character is physically bigger and badder. However, the eponymous creatures are bigger and badder, and it's a twist in the movie that they tied their predecessor up to emasculate them and ultimately kill them in a fight. There is not even any cheating involved, the Über-Predator just straight up beats them up and decapitates them. The characters are more updated than upgraded, and not in the way you extrapolated from my steroids comment. Jesse Ventura is a roided-up version of an 80's action movie hardass. Walter Goggins is his update, in the sense that his type of character is now what is commonly portrayed in action movies. The better Predator movies have always taken contemporary action movie stock characters for their main characters/victims.

Also, I specifically said that this one scene in Predators was like an anime, not the whole movie. The swaying grass, the charging with the swords, the moment of hesitation afterwards with one of them collapsing are all elements present in anime. Snak was so helpful to point out that anime took it from somewhere else, I was trying to point out why my mind went there first instead of Kurosawa.

Yes but you see anime is animated and this movie is not animated, so therefore this is not like anime at all.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Look I try to take everyone's perspective seriously and entertain different points of view but "Frankenstein's monster is like an MRA Redditer" it just a super facile analysis of what's happening in the book. Context matters.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Look I try to take everyone's perspective seriously and entertain different points of view but "Frankenstein's monster is like an MRA Redditer" it just a super facile analysis of what's happening in the book. Context matters.
Context like "this is not a thread for a serious analysis of Frankenstein but a chat thread"?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Alhazred posted:

Context like "this is not a thread for a serious analysis of Frankenstein but a chat thread"?

I guess it depends on what you think constitutes Chat Thread material.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

*reading Frankenstein*

This... this is like reddit

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
This thread is currently going through multiple posts, each multiple paragraphs long, discussing whether or not Predators is like anime or not, we can have a quick chat about one of the fundamental novels of science-fiction.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Frankenstein needs a scene where the monster looks in through the window of a pimply burnout and sees him playing Sonic and then goes home and creates a 4chan account (the true horror)

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

Alhazred posted:

He could at the very least tried to not kill everyone he meets. Its an relatively easy way to not appear monstrous.

This is a relatively easy way to try to distract from the actual content of the novel. You're doing a pretty big disservice to it in favor of being patronizing. Come on, son. Casually chatting about Frankenstein in earnest isn't hard.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Corrosion posted:

This is a relatively easy way to try to distract from the actual content of the novel. You're doing a pretty big disservice to it in favor of being patronizing. Come on, son. Casually chatting about Frankenstein in earnest isn't hard.

Speaking of patronizing....

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

Nah, man, I'm earnestly asking you not to bullshit me because what do I say to "he's not trying hard enough" being a veil for "Don't be so serious, guy?" Haha, u rite, guv. This right here, and you right there? Totally different, despite any superficial similarities.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

X-Ray Pecs posted:

This thread is currently going through multiple posts, each multiple paragraphs long, discussing whether or not Predators is like anime or not, we can have a quick chat about one of the fundamental novels of science-fiction.

Predators is hardly anime because they only swing 2 times and the fight is over.

If it was anime it would of been this,

This is only half of it, if you want to see the one other swing, go on youtube.

How is that even anime?

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 6, 2017

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Everything is anime

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anime is for jerks

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Frankenstein's monster was the first Mens Rights protester.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Tenzarin posted:

This is only half of it, if you want to see the one other swing go on youtube.

How is that even anime?

Maybe you should rewatch scene as well, they swing at each other a whole lot.

Brainiac Five posted:

The Monster is also asking to be accepted as a living being equal to humanity who can reproduce, to be Adam rather than Lucifer. Which is why Bride of Frankenstein is so heavy on homoeroticism.

To bring this back to movies, this gets made clear in the best scene in Branagh's version. The Monster and its dad have a chat in a cave, and the Monster is asking some very honest questions about the purpose behind its creation and Frankenstein just shrugs. I couldn't find a good version on youtube, here it is on DM. I especially like how Frankenstein is filmed through the flickering hot air of a bonfire, he's already in hell tormented by a devil he made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tenzarin posted:

This is only half of it, if you want to see the one other swing, go on youtube.

How is that even anime?

Is the whole movie this dark/dim? It's kind of ugly.

• Locked thread