Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

precision posted:

i'm getting slightly creeped out by the fact that every time i start playing NMS again, i find out they're working on an update the very next day

it's like they know i'm the only one playing

You actually, earnestly care about No Man's Sky news don't you?

Crazy world out there...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

it's cool to care about things

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Chomp8645 posted:

You actually, earnestly care about No Man's Sky news don't you?

Crazy world out there...

I actually, earnestly love the game, even though at launch it was less than I was expecting.

It's still a really great game to chill and explore. They also added a ton of video filters so you can play the game in CGA graphics or with all kinds of :catdrugs: effects

it's cool check it out

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

an actual dog posted:

Agreed but NMS didn't have enough content to qualify as a "thing".

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ometeotl posted:

Agreed but NMS didn't have enough content to qualify as a "thing".

I think it does now, after 1.4 and Pathfinder added base building, ground vehicles and much more interesting procgen for the planets and a whole bunch of QOL features.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don't think it's weird to pay attention to something that's going to be delivered to you for free because of a sunk cost almost a year ago.

Sometimes I think about starting a new NMS character, but there's always another game that just came out.

It'll never happen for all kinds of reasons, but if they patched in PSVR support I'd never quit it.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's still very funny that someone paid $1,300 to play a terrible unpatched version of No Man's Sky two weeks early

it seems like an ok game now though I'll play it some day

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

haveblue posted:

I don't think it's weird to pay attention to something that's going to be delivered to you for free because of a sunk cost almost a year ago.

I really wish people would stop telling me the only reason I like No Man's Sky is sunk cost fallacy. Like, I am not at all afraid to put down a full price game if it's not doing it for me, trust me. There's a reason I have like 4,000 Bronze trophies on my PS+ account :v:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

an actual dog posted:

To each their own and all that. I'm just shocked there is an enthusiastic fan left in the present day.

It would be like if someone came in brimming with excitement for something going on with Battleborn or Evolve. It's mystifying.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

A lot of people find No Man's Sky to be the answer to this

Jay Rust posted:

What are some of your favourite games to play to just chillax?

Also it currently has an order of magnitude more players than Battleborn

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

precision posted:

I really wish people would stop telling me the only reason I like No Man's Sky is sunk cost fallacy.

Didn't mean the invoke the fallacy, just pointing out that you don't have to do or give up anything to check out this patch.

I liked NMS too, but I had my fill of it a long time ago. I tried to get back in after the first patch but my character had too much baggage from the initial state of the game but also too much progress to immediately throw away; now that I'm in a bit of a game drought a new excuse to start again would be welcome.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://www.humblebundle.com/sekai-project-bundle

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

BTA to put your name on a government watchlist.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Checked the new Humble Bundle and thought I was on IndieGala. They'd been doing so good recently and now visual novels.

babypolis posted:

Goon opinions has really turned on them yeah. I dont think they are THAT bad but they do miss the point quite frequently

It's weird, I've never talked about RPS with other goons but came to the same conclusion. It used to feel like they actually cared about games, now it's more the opposite.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Root Double is worth $12 on its own

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

BTA to put your name on a government watchlist.

It's not the only thing you're going to B

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

my favorite trivia about immortan joe is that his oldworld name was joe moore, which is the same as hawaii's most egotistical rear end in a top hat newscaster who treats his crew like garbage and runs massive smear campaigns against anyone who dares to get more famous than him in his local sphere of glory

pig in human skin

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

did NMS ever patch the game so traversing and moving around doesn't feel like you're a loving garbage can with stumpy lovely legs and a jetpack that barely gets you anywhere unless you gimp the dashing jet jump

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

what i don't get is why was no man's sky in development for umpteen-odd years and still came out underbaked yet apparently they've been cranking out multiple content updates and major overhauls in the past year

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

DLC Inc posted:

did NMS ever patch the game so traversing and moving around doesn't feel like you're a loving garbage can with stumpy lovely legs and a jetpack that barely gets you anywhere unless you gimp the dashing jet jump

The game launched with a melee boost cancel that made moving fast but thats not what you mean i guess

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Cowcaster posted:

what i don't get is why was no man's sky in development for umpteen-odd years and still came out underbaked yet apparently they've been cranking out multiple content updates and major overhauls in the past year

It kinda makes you want to believe in that whole theory that they lost a bunch of finished assets before release

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

I think it was just supposed to be a smallish indie game with a cool procedural generation gimmick but then Sony put them onstage at E3 and the crazy people that play space games got themselves hyped up for the ultimate video game with 18 quintillion planets that they could play until the day they die

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Help Im Alive posted:

I think it was just supposed to be a smallish indie game with a cool procedural generation gimmick but then Sony put them onstage at E3 and the crazy people that play space games got themselves hyped up for the ultimate video game with 18 quintillion planets that they could play until the day they die

If only all of them died funding for Star Citizen would've dried up.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
why is it that so many downloadables are getting released physically now? Did ms and Sony loosen up the restrictions?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Speaking of things that are mystifying, it does boggle my mind that the response of some people to a bad game coming out is sending personal death threats to the developer. Or, hell, sending death threats to a guy who wrote a preview about that game once

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

There's a lot of third party places that'll help you release your game physically these days.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think my response to a bad game coming out is to laugh at how bad it is, but to be happy for the people who enjoy it despite its badness, unless they're huge assholes when you say what you don't like about it or something.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

John Romero posted:

why is it that so many downloadables are getting released physically now? Did ms and Sony loosen up the restrictions?

There's at least one company set up just to produce limited run copies of downloadable titles because people would rather buy physical. I don't get it myself but hey.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

There's at least one company set up just to produce limited run copies of downloadable titles because people would rather buy physical. I don't get it myself but hey.

It cool for the one or two games that you'd want on a shelf but a lot of the people Limited Run Games retweets are broken people who just want to collect everything they've ever released on a shelf because that copy of Mutant Mudds and Aqua Kitty needed to be on a disc for some reason.

Edit: Actually gently caress those ones, they recently revealed they're making a disc release of home, that lovely 40 minute indie game where they didn't bother to write an ending and which has been 50 cents or less on Steam.

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 6, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

haveblue posted:

Bring the baby, give it a gimmick character with 1s in all stats and describe it as a method player

Roll the baby instead of dice.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Lurdiak posted:

Roll the baby instead of dice.

No, no, no. Please don't roll the baby.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mordja posted:

No, no, no. Please don't roll the baby.

yeah babies aren't evenly weighted at all, you'll just keep getting the same results

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Snake eyes :stare:

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I hate to admit that the new Sanic Farces song they revealed is actually a really catchy tune. The lyrics are straight Dreamcast era goofy too

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it was amazing to find out that lucky yates was part of this

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

did someone bring it up that apparently A) the 2nd best selling game (including digital downloads) of 2017 so far is For Honor, and 2) has simultaneously hemorrhaged 95% of it's population over the past 3 months or so

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Randy Pitchford: "Battleborn is definitely not and will never be a F2P game"

Valve:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Wasn't the netcode for that game really bad? That seems like a big deal for what's basically a fighting game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Wasn't the netcode for that game really bad? That seems like a big deal for what's basically a fighting game

i'm banking it all on "marketing beats quality, every time". note that the greatest selling game of the year of our lord 2017 so far is tom clancy's wildlands, which is a wet diarrhea squirt and i would bet has had a similar playerbase holocaust, and yet was advertised on a shitload of streaming services leading up to release.

edit: looks like instead of linking a crummy ign article i could've linked the source instead http://www.githyp.com/for-honor-has-now-lost-95-of-its-playerbase-worse-than-the-division-1-year-ago/

edit 2: and yeah wildlands is sitting at 3.5k current players itself http://www.githyp.com/tom-clancys-ghost-recon-wildlands-132971/

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 6, 2017

• Locked thread