Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Missingnoleader
Mar 10, 2014

Oh Snapple! posted:

particularly since the feeling i got from a decent amount of bernie folks was that bernie was their consolation prize when warren decided not to run

That's how it started out for me too. Then I saw how the media was treating him and went full on Bernie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I always got the impression that Warren didn't particularly want to leave the Senate, though like so many political decisions made last year it was probably made on the assumption that we'd have President Clinton and possibly a Democratic majority in the Senate, and she'd be in charge of the Finance Committee or something rather than the inspiration for Chelsea Clinton's publishing debut.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

comedyblissoption posted:

https://twitter.com/maddow/status/796433124175605760
sorry but according to rachel maddow ALL of stein's votes and at least HALF of gary johnson voters should be considered the rightful property of the DNC

am i going to trust rachel maddow or some farthead in the suck zone?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

So do you prefer subs or dubs? And why are you so very, very wrong?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
If my plan works out, Buttigieg will be the next governor of NJ.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
If Warren was the nominee I could see her Harvard ethnicity bullshit being turned into the same level of apocalypse as the emails. Trump doesn't just have an anti-mattering field, he also induces mattering into others

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

docbeard posted:

I always got the impression that Warren didn't particularly want to leave the Senate, though like so many political decisions made last year it was probably made on the assumption that we'd have President Clinton and possibly a Democratic majority in the Senate, and she'd be in charge of the Finance Committee or something rather than the inspiration for Chelsea Clinton's publishing debut.

"She'd do more good in the Senate anyway" is something I found myself saying a lot in 2015, and in retrospect it was a coping mechanism. Other people were saying it all the time and it'd make me feel better not getting to vote for Liz for president, soooo sure

now here it is 2017, we have President Trump, and they gave Harry Reid's job to Chuck Schumer instead of Liz anyway so there's no reason pretending it's still a sentiment that makes any sense. Of course she'd be more useful as President.

dear lord, that filter :stare:

that poor image file, why would you torture it like this

was she like "I wonder what I would look like without a nose" or what

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/ryrysven/status/872139063482081283

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
JillSteinEatingWithVladdyPutin.jpeg

TrumpGrabbingSlickByHisWilly.jpeg

HillaryCacklingTrumpWedding.jpeg

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

zegermans posted:

If Warren was the nominee I could see her Harvard ethnicity bullshit being turned into the same level of apocalypse as the emails. Trump doesn't just have an anti-mattering field, he also induces mattering into others

Part of the reason the emails mattered so much for Hillary is she took forever to own the issue and 'apologize' for it. I don't know if Warren would have dragged her feet quite so long (or quite so badly) on her ethnicity thing.

And even then, what really did Hillary in was Even More Emails Being Discovered, and it being part of a FBI investigation in the first place. Would Comey have last-minute found papers that proved Warren had Nazi heritage or something?

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

loquacius posted:

don't parseltongue shame

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the election in fact was rigged, but the riggers were a bunch of slaveowning assholes 250 years ago and not putin last year

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://mobile.twitter.com/politico/status/872168483643064320

lol

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

hahahahaha

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

Part of the reason the emails mattered so much for Hillary is she took forever to own the issue and 'apologize' for it. I don't know if Warren would have dragged her feet quite so long (or quite so badly) on her ethnicity thing.

And even then, what really did Hillary in was Even More Emails Being Discovered, and it being part of a FBI investigation in the first place. Would Comey have last-minute found papers that proved Warren had Nazi heritage or something?

The emails also fed into a(n accurate) pre-existing narrative re: Hillary's penchant for secrecy and sense of entitlement, which her handling of the whole situation just exacerbated. "Fauxcahontas" is a pretty good portmanteau, but it doesn't really feed into an established story that people have already bought into.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

loquacius posted:

I for one applaud her and think it's high time more Ichthyoid-Americans spoke out.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

you don't empower women by playing the victim :psyduck:

this neoliberal capitalistic grip on woke feminism is some bullshit, I insist as I kick the back of the airplane seat until I am re-accommodated.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Where's Tulsi-chan

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

paranoid randroid posted:

lets have an anime argument itt and collapse the whole thing into an infinitely dense Suck Singularity

can we have a suck supernova instead
those are pretty

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

LGD posted:

The emails also fed into a(n accurate) pre-existing narrative re: Hillary's penchant for secrecy and sense of entitlement, which her handling of the whole situation just exacerbated. "Fauxcahontas" is a pretty good portmanteau, but it doesn't really feed into an established story that people have already bought into.

Call me a hill shill pill but I gave her the benefit of the doubt on things like secrecy on account of spending 30 years having to walk a tightrope where "didn't bake cookies" was considered a major faux pas. Though with that history you'd think she'd have figured out a way to explain it better.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

got any sevens posted:

can we have a suck supernova instead
those are pretty

the nova happens first. Didn't you ever go on a wikipedia cruise on stellar life cycles when you should have been working?

Speaking of which I calculated once that King Kai's planet had a density on the same order of magnitude as a white dwarf, which means it could theoretically exist.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
I'm reading Al Franken's book, and he's talking about how the Democrats offered him 20K to help with legal fees for his recount, while the Republicans had given Coleman 1 million, so Dems abandoning the downticket isn't a new phenomenon lol

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

it's inarguable that hillary has had to put up with a lot of sexist bullshit, but some people went overboard with claiming criticizing hillary on anything, including her policies, was sexist

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
that's strategic abandonment of the downticket by the dccc, I'll have you know, gotta save the millions for where it m-

*loses 63 House seats, 10 senate seats, 12 governorships, countless more local positions over 8 years*

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Shear Modulus posted:

it's inarguable that hillary has had to put up with a lot of sexist bullshit, but some people went overboard with claiming criticizing hillary on anything, including her policies, was sexist

Some idiot actually told me today that since we live in a sexist society, every criticism of her is inherently sexist lol

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

zegermans posted:

Call me a hill shill pill but I gave her the benefit of the doubt on things like secrecy on account of spending 30 years having to walk a tightrope where "didn't bake cookies" was considered a major faux pas. Though with that history you'd think she'd have figured out a way to explain it better.

Yeah that's the one thing that makes it hard to hate Hillary is she was for real forced to become soulless by the politics in most of her life.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Shear Modulus posted:

I mean the alternative was actually defending hillary's policies, and as you can see on her website, they are really bad. The depressing thing is that they mirror the official DNC platform in many many ways. The DNC goes a bit deeper into the key issues, and covers more issues, but most of them still suck.

Criminal Justice Reform, College, and Housing are particularly terrible for what i'd expect in "the most progressive platform ever."

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Yeah that's the one thing that makes it hard to hate Hillary is she was for real forced to become soulless by the politics in most of her life.

Nixon was also apparently a much chiller and less paranoid dude prior to the 1960 election, and Trump's parents were real pieces of work- when someone is running for the most powerful political position on earth I don't think it's a good idea to ignore major negative traits simply because you feel some sympathy for the life circumstances that led to their emergence.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

zegermans posted:

The "30 years of right-wing smears" thing was another black mark on the Clinton wing, as in it was repeatedly brought up by Clintonites to suggest that she was immune to scandal, when really she has always handled scandal really poorly, it just never mattered until now because she'd never been in a contested election before

(except the one from 2008 which she lost)

Shear Modulus posted:

multiple people I know IRL got really mad at me upon hearing I liked Bernie, with no further information, because it meant I was sexist

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

:bagl:

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shear Modulus posted:

It was and is dumb.

They treat her like a downtrodden and plucky upstart, and not the uber-rich, uber-powerful behemoth that she actually is.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Nice!

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

LGD posted:

Nixon was also apparently a much chiller and less paranoid dude prior to the 1960 election, and Trump's parents were real pieces of work- when someone is running for the most powerful political position on earth I don't think it's a good idea to ignore major negative traits simply because you feel some sympathy for the life circumstances that led to their emergence.

I didn't say ignore them.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Lol was this ever posted

https://twitter.com/therealroseanne/status/861705175395844096

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

rofl

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i totally forgot that jill stein was also linked to russia lol

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Al! posted:

literally everyone who criticized or opposed hillary was painted as a russian agent

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Exclusive: XXX says Democratic election attacks were 'much broader' than DNC document shows

AKA = election was rigged. Hillary Bernie won. Polls WEREN'T wrong. That's why she got so many more people at ralliesvotes. This is hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Al! posted:

a lotta rubes for rubles

• Locked thread