Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

MMF Freeway posted:

Is there anything to do with poetics other than ironworks stuff? As in any reason to hoard them forever?

The Heavensard anima weapon used poetics items at various points of its construction. It's not far-fetched to think that the Stormblood weapon will involve poetics as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

all tanks' enmity combos are a dps loss.

Then if you would have to do an enmity combo during a swap, then shirking instead is obviously a dps gain. If your MT has to do extra enmity combos just to stay ahead normally, then shirking them on CD could be a bigger dps gain, but I've never had to use shadewalker that aggressively, so it would be a surprise if we needed to use shirk that way.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Or, you can easily get crafted 115 that will hold you over till level 52 when you can get crafted 125, at 54 crafted 133, 56 crafted 139, and 58 crafted 145.

All of those things are trivial to make and crafters will have most of the mats on them. TPT always has HQ 115s in the company chest for any level 50 to grab. You can get a poetics weapon, but it isn't at all necessary.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Doesn't the 56 weapon require titanium or something that makes it more annoying to craft?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

hobbesmaster posted:

Doesn't the 56 weapon require titanium or something that makes it more annoying to craft?

I dunno I have a ton of that poo poo just sitting on a retainer. Either way costs are still trivial for everything 50-60, and then once you near 60 fister & crew have you taken care of for that.

The basic principle I'm trying to get across is there is no reason to sweat poetics or grind a weapon at all if you're on excal and a part of a goon guild. Any sub level 60 weapon takes no time at all to craft.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
You can get titanium nuggets off vath beast tribe vendor, which makes titanium everything super easy.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shows how long it's been since I bothered with that then.

I remembered those titanium weapons being over 150k quite late in HW due to the titanium.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

M.c.P posted:

With the 2 minute cd I don't see a lot of point in hanging on to shirk or timing it with tank swaps. I still think it'll see a lot of raid use though, enmity translates to damage in a very real way.

what do you mean by this? did you mean 'damage translates to enmity'?

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

The main tank being ahead in enmity means they can do fewer enmity combos and more DPS combos.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Currently more of an enmity lead means more time in DPS stance and DPS combos.

We'll see how the SB content pushes the meta.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
oh, right. i forget i will no longer be able to unchained-overpower and literally never worry again.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don't think I'll ever use the AOE provoke unless I have something that specifically calls for it.

My likely tanking toolbox is going to be: rampart/conv/reprisal for sure 100% of the time, probably anticipation/awareness next, and the last spot will probably be provoke.

The only situation where aoe provoke can be useful that I've thought of is using cover on a DPS(like big dick aoe king black mage) in a dungeon while you go ham in Sword Oath spamming the new Paladin aoe, then throwing up shield before cover wears, aoe provoking, and flash+scorn. This pairs nicely with the coming trait that makes cover inherently mitigate 20% of the damage the Paladin will take in the transfer.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jun 6, 2017

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
does one really 'go ham' in sword oath

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

ilifinicus posted:

I have so far had a 100% hit rate on F players being bad or outright detrimental to the party when queueing solo into any kind of content on the EU data center, it's quite amazing

so it's consistent with the world of warcraft experience then

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6JjsyqDqKI
Here's some RDM gameplay and a broad overview.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Gizmo Chicken posted:

Here's some RDM gameplay and a broad overview.

As a heads up to other people, he gets everything right in this video except Impact (which is fair since his tooltip was wrong) - it actually grants 4/4 mana instead of none.

Also as a general note, people have figured out that the english tooltip for Dualcast is wrong. The english one mentions that autoattacks cancel it, but the japanese one (and what we've seen through footage) is that only weapon skills and spells consume/cancel it. So for reference:

Autoattacks: Okay
Off-GCD abilities: Okay
Melee combo: Cancels Dualcast
Cast-time Spells: Consume Dualcast to become instant
Instant-cast Spells [ie. with Swiftcast]: Cancels Dualcast

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

does one really 'go ham' in sword oath

Stacking FoF and Requiescat should make Total Eclipse pretty good.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
requiescat only boosts magic damage, as an fyi, but i was more talking about sword oath being super underwhelming as a dps stance

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Skaw posted:

Stacking FoF and Requiescat should make Total Eclipse pretty good.

Regretfully FoF is physical only and requiescat is magic only.
Total Eclipse is pretty good on its own though. A paladin style overpower, really.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

What am I missing for level 50 roulette?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Here's the complete list.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
note that i am level 60 and item level 265 and have not once felt compelled to unlock the level 50 roulette, and i was playing when it was actually still relevant.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

Unlocking the 50 roulette was something I did once I was 60 and wanted a break between doing MSQ, it still took forever. I've since never queued into it once...

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I've been pretty much queuing for one level 50 dungeon I haven't played every other WT journal or so and still haven't actually done all of them yet.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
You know you can just grab a buddy or two and unsync all the level 50 dungeons, right? You'll get showered with newbie bonus poetics in the process and each one takes ~5 minutes.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

You know you can just grab a buddy or two and unsync all the level 50 dungeons, right? You'll get showered with newbie bonus poetics in the process and each one takes ~5 minutes.

Why on earth would I know that?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
he was probably talking to me. if you're getting poetics gear you will not have the same experience with unsynced 50 dungeons.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

requiescat only boosts magic damage, as an fyi, but i was more talking about sword oath being super underwhelming as a dps stance

Regardless of how underwhelming Sword Oath is, you're not losing total eclipse damage in it, and still scoring auto attacks for the oath gauge.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Why on earth would I know that?

I was meaning that as a general question to the multiple people that hadn't done them, but yes, you can grab a level 60 goon or two who will gladly plow through all your level 50 dungeons with you for the bonuses. All ARR content can be unsynced, which makes it a squash match for anyone at level 60 so you can just blow through poo poo and get caught up quick.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
A cleaned-up version of the hypothetical Wildfire phase. Autoattacks from turret and you removed, there's no way to sync those or account for them, even though they are, collectively, worth at least another three Gauss Rounds as a whole.

Rainuwastaken posted:

Same, it's a class I really want to love but the actual mechanics behind it just push me away. I spend the entire fight staring at my hotbar trying to track the goddamn RNG combo, and then when wildfire comes up it's 15 seconds of pure panic as I try to smash every button on my keyboard. Then there are classes like BLM and DRG that I could play with my eyes closed. :shrug:

It saddens me that MCH has that kind of hump to get over, because if there is a part of MCH that is the most-rote and "I could do this blindfolded" part, it is the Wildfire rotation. It's all muscle memory for me at this point, and it never deviates unless something goes wrong. (Read: boss leaves before Wildfire pops.)

Ironically, I have more deciphering enemy bars to make sure there's still enough duration on MY Demolish and Touch of Death ticking, to see if Dragon Kick is up at all, Twin Snakes up, MUH STACKS, and all of the oGCDs that MNK needs to weave in between weaponskills.

Here's hoping that advanced buff/debuff filtering is a thing that they just haven't thought to disclose to us yet. I'd be playing more MNK if it were the case.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 6, 2017

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

I was meaning that as a general question to the multiple people that hadn't done them, but yes, you can grab a level 60 goon or two who will gladly plow through all your level 50 dungeons with you for the bonuses. All ARR content can be unsynced, which makes it a squash match for anyone at level 60 so you can just blow through poo poo and get caught up quick.

It's worth noting there are a few places that a 60 can't solo due to mechanics (ex:Lost City first boss for most jobs), but if you are in a duo with at least one geared level 60 all ARR dungeons will be cake.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

These are good dungeons too (for the most part) so there's no shame in unlocking them and then queueing for them normally if you're the type to care about ~~the experience~~ rather than tomes per hour.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
The 50 dungeons own and if you should make cross world pfs tonight to run all the missing ones because I'm in Hyperion and thirsty for usb drives.

For realie reals the 50 roulette gives solid rewards and never takes over 15 mins, it's well worth unlocking

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Jinh posted:

The 50 dungeons own and if you should make cross world pfs tonight to run all the missing ones because I'm in Hyperion and thirsty for usb drives.

For realie reals the 50 roulette gives solid rewards and never takes over 15 mins, it's well worth unlocking

The first time I started unlocking 50 DR was the first time I encountered chain-pulling in this game. I was playing WHM at the time and was wholly unprepared at first for the tank grabbing the entire dungeon from the start. It gave me a bit of dungeon anxiety!

But yeah, the 50's are good. Halatali HM is probably my favourite, but I also love the music in Sastasha HM.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Keeper of the lake has both best background music and final boss music IMO. I happily listen to Silver Tears outside of the game.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Brayflox HM is pretty bad but it's the only one of that bunch that really sticks out negatively in my memory. Totally made up for by stuff like Tam Tara HM, Amdapor Keep HM, and the whole chain of unlocking Wanderer's Palace through its hard version.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

A cleaned-up version of the hypothetical Wildfire phase. Autoattacks from turret and you removed, there's no way to sync those or account for them, even though they are, collectively, worth at least another three Gauss Rounds as a whole.

It saddens me that MCH has that kind of hump to get over, because if there is a part of MCH that is the most-rote and "I could do this blindfolded" part, it is the Wildfire rotation. It's all muscle memory for me at this point, and it never deviates unless something goes wrong. (Read: boss leaves before Wildfire pops.)

Ironically, I have more deciphering enemy bars to make sure there's still enough duration on MY Demolish and Touch of Death ticking, to see if Dragon Kick is up at all, Twin Snakes up, MUH STACKS, and all of the oGCDs that MNK needs to weave in between weaponskills.

Here's hoping that advanced buff/debuff filtering is a thing that they just haven't thought to disclose to us yet. I'd be playing more MNK if it were the case.

Thanks for this, been trying to wrap my head around what our new rotation will be. I'm really excited for MCH after getting over the hypercharge nerf and some other utility getting removed. If heat feels good to manage I'll be sticking with MCH since my other most liked jobs are really getting dumbed down, I feel.

Two things:

- Do you really think Turret Overload is going to be used in the wildfire? Because cutting the duration of hypercharge seems wasteful, and other than that is it going to be worth more than 30 seconds of turret attacks?
- Do we know if you'll be able to use Cooldown while overheating? Not to reduce heat obviously, but just as an extra damage skill.

Daynab fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 6, 2017

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

dogsicle posted:

Brayflox HM is pretty bad but it's the only one of that bunch that really sticks out negatively in my memory.

How dare you, it's all about the cheese!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

dogsicle posted:

Brayflox HM is pretty bad but it's the only one of that bunch that really sticks out negatively in my memory. Totally made up for by stuff like Tam Tara HM, Amdapor Keep HM, and the whole chain of unlocking Wanderer's Palace through its hard version.

I liked Brayflox HM at 50 because of how quickly you could run it, and the gear it drops looks nice. Except when it doesn't drop which is 99% of the time, RNG sucks and I eventually gave up on getting my last fistfighter piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Tam-Tara hard and Brayflox hard (synced, with a tank who knows the dungeon) are the only level 50 dungeons that I'd say are worth it just for the fun of running them

• Locked thread