Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

SHOAH NUFF posted:

What is it about the game that helped your son and those refugees? Just curious

It's empowering to the player, giving them the ability to create unlike any other game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

SHOAH NUFF posted:

What is it about the game that helped your son and those refugees? Just curious

Obviously not scientific, but he had a lot of issues interacting with other children, exhibited depression and anxiety symptoms. Minecraft allowed him to control interactions with other kids, and express an interest that they were also interested in without fear of reprisal or being ostracized. Also being able to control things and some escapism as well.

Obviously lots more involved but that's the gist of it for the trump thread :-)

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/Evan_McMullin/status/833863025434251264

https://twitter.com/JackPosobiec/status/833765197202481152

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
It's the first virtual world immersive enough and full of enough variety and controllability to while playing make it seem absolutely not a stretch that other computing technologies are about to make huge re-configurations and changes to actual reality soon. Obviously replacing reality and the status-quo is good for hope.

The unusually good immersion is attained through huge 3D maps you maintain in year head as you play and try and make sense of things, especially when you start investing in building your own stuff and making changes.

boner confessor posted:

minecraft is just digital legos, it's simple to understand the rules but has enough depth to be interesting and is a decent sandbox for children to be creative and play since you can't troll kids too hard using it (knock over their sandcastle and say mean things via text but no voice chat or ability to follow and harass a player continually)

This, unfortunately, is not the case. It is incredibly easy and common for someone to log on to a map they've never been to, fully erase or ruin something that a kid spent days or weeks constructing, and then log off, with no repercussions and usually no backups in place.

Also trivial and common to follow someone around on a map they've invested hours in, while harassing them on chat.

So you have to be careful about multiplayer.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 6, 2017

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

hanales posted:

Obviously not scientific, but he had a lot of issues interacting with other children, exhibited depression and anxiety symptoms. Minecraft allowed him to control interactions with other kids, and express an interest that they were also interested in without fear of reprisal or being ostracized. Also being able to control things and some escapism as well.

Obviously lots more involved but that's the gist of it for the trump thread :-)

That's really cool

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

BardoTheConsumer posted:

2024. Possibly much longer.

He's old and in terrible shape, and he's constantly being told he sucks. That's terrible for a narcissist. There's a solid chance he just dies, or the stress accelerates his family tendency toward dementia. Old people die, even rich ones.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Trump might be expecting more than he's going to get out of Rubio, Cotton and the like, if he's wanting to see a big fight. Here's what Cotton said today to lizardperson and radio host Hugh Hewett:

quote:

HH: The, and I, by the way, I have no idea what he’s going to testify to. He could very well end up supporting President Trump. He could end up being a critic of the President. It doesn’t matter to me. I just want it to be consistent.

TC: That’s all we ask. I mean, Hugh, that’s exactly right. Almost everything that we’ve read in the news about Mr. Comey’s statements, his perceptions, his feelings, is based on very thin sourcing. It’s not the kind of sourcing that you’d take as credible in the intelligence world, certainly not in a legal world. For instance, the accounts of these memos he allegedly wrote would be at least triple hearsay, what Donald Trump said according to Jim Comey according to someone who saw the memo, according to the New York Times’ reporter who had it read to him, didn’t even read it. So I don’t know what Mr. Comey will say on any of these matters beyond what he said to Congress in the past, which again, I take to still be his best and fullest knowledge. But I think anybody speculating about what Jim Comey will say on Thursday is putting the cart before the horse, and that we should just allow him to come in and tell his story and answer the questions of the members of the committee.

Not exactly fightin' words. Cotton also indicated that he, personally, hadn't seen evidence of the memos. Hard to tear into a guy when you don't know what cards he might be holding.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Mulva posted:

He's old and in terrible shape, and he's constantly being told he sucks. That's terrible for a narcissist. There's a solid chance he just dies, or the stress accelerates his family tendency toward dementia. Old people die, even rich ones.
Yeah, but then we get Pence, who is also a crazy rear end in a top hat (and worse in many ways) but is able to hide his craziness and maybe actually get something done because he isn't a perfect shitstorm of tweeting.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

farraday posted:

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/872173614581383168

Tomorrow's headline.

On Kotaku

I wonder if it also works for refugees from US politics.

:unsmith: this is a Happy Post thank you.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Somewhere Notch shouts "NO! I never wanted to help THESE PEOPLE!"

And this just makes it better.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

boner confessor posted:

minecraft is just digital legos, it's simple to understand the rules but has enough depth to be interesting and is a decent sandbox for children to be creative and play since you can't troll kids too hard using it (knock over their sandcastle and say mean things via text but no voice chat or ability to follow and harass a player continually)

Minecraft always seemed like a really interesting game, but I never got into it. One of these days I should give it a shot. Is it goon approved?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

People aren't paying attention to NJ because that governor election in November is a foregone conclusion, but the Democrat candidate is leading that poll by more than any democrat since 1989.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

McMullin MIGHT be my favorite Republican

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Wasn't McMuffin also pretty obviously the leaker of Kevin McCarthy's "Trump paid by Russia" joke?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

-Blackadder- posted:

Minecraft always seemed like a really interesting game, but I never got into it. One of these days I should give it a shot. Is it goon approved?

Years of lovely games have robbed me of any creativity so I've found it ugly, tedious, and boring. But if you are creative minded and like to build things, it seems like a space in which you can do that to your heart's content. Apparently there is a full scale version of the Ent-D, which kind of blows my mind just imagining the scale and how long that must have taken.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

here ya go: https://www.facebook.com/GreatAmericaAlliance/videos/vb.1109620582499338/1237360046392057/?type=2&theater

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

-Blackadder- posted:

It is by far the most influential game of the last decade. It deserves to be played just as much as Star Wars should be watched to understand where games/movies are currently. Try it out and try building a house with a fireplace.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 6, 2017

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

theflyingorc posted:

McMullin MIGHT be my favorite Republican

He supports every aspect of Paul Ryan's agenda.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Triskelli posted:

It is by far the most influential game of the last decade. Try it out and try building a house with a fireplace.

Out of wood.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

-Blackadder- posted:

there are probably better clones of it out there that scratch the same itch, by objective standards minecraft is a bad game but being the originator of a subgenre it's insanely popular, doubly so among kids because it has a lot of attributes attractive to them

as someone said above though it is a hugely influential and popular game so it's worth playing a bit just from the perspective of game history

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

but not enough to support donald trump, incompetent traitor, as president to implement it

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

-Blackadder- posted:

It's like legos but better.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

-Blackadder- posted:

It's pass it's use by date. There are many voxel block builders that do more and better in every way that can fill your specific needs.

If you want plainest of plain vanilla then Minecraft I guess.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Triskelli posted:

It is by far the most influential game of the last decade. Try it out and try building a house with a fireplace.

Make a giant golden bull that poops a constant stream of magma.

Ah actually there's my evening taken care of

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

eviltastic posted:

For instance, the accounts of these memos he allegedly wrote would be at least triple hearsay, what Donald Trump said according to Jim Comey according to someone who saw the memo, according to the New York Times’ reporter who had it read to him, didn’t even read it.
This is what I was talking about. This is being pushed hard by moron-Americans - muddying the waters by discussing the number of links in the chain. Comey's memo almost certainly doesn't comment on Trump's mind, only what actually happened, so that link is garbage. The person with the memo HAS THE MEMO, so there's no reason to act like he muddied the waters, so that link is garbage. And there's no reason the reporter did anything other than write down what the memo said, so that link is ALSO garbage.

What we have is almost certainly an accurate representation of what happened, but we're pretending that the source isn't reliable (that was certainly verified from other sources) because we don't want to believe the president committed Obstruction.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
minecraft and dwarf fortress are the yin and yang of early 2010's indie pc game innovation

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

-Blackadder- posted:

It's a really what you make of it kinda game. I'm not that creative but I find it fun and relaxing just exploring the random worlds in survival mode.

It's on just about every platform now including phones so check it out.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

mcmagic posted:

yeah, but it's kinda like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dojZx82n73U&t=50s

he's "third best"

boner confessor posted:

by objective standards minecraft is a bad game
:rolleyes:

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
https://twitter.com/JonathanCohn/status/872173900981051394

Disappointed seeing Murphy and Duckworth on this list.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Minecraft is fun. I return to it for like two obsessive weeks once a year. It's best when you make your own goals for yourself, and you can really get in the zone and relax. It's also moddable, though I haven't messed much with that.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Javes posted:

who was the pick and why are they bad?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Oh also important, every experience you have in the game is unique just to you and gives you a good story to tell the other kids. This is because the map makes itself using random rules as you travel in any direction, giving you things that no one else has exactly seen before. Billions of things, potentially, depending on how mature the map is.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

-Blackadder- posted:

Beyond what others have said, check the threads in games, particularly if you want to mess with mods. Some of them are pretty cool and change the game up considerably, but you don't want to try to mix and match and assure compatibility on your own unless you absolutely have to.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Javes posted:

I can't think of any reason any democratic senator should ever vote for a Trump nominee. No matter who it is.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Javes posted:

I'm going to need to know who it was and why they were bad before I give even the slightest poo poo about who Trump picked for that office

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

I can't think of any reason any democratic senator should ever vote for a Trump nominee. No matter who it is.
As much as I wanna say that (and throw Klobuchar under the bus cuz yuck)...

We should figure out...

evilweasel posted:

...first.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

evilweasel posted:

From the previous person to hold the job under Obama:

quote:

“Courtney is an excellent choice for this demanding position. She is intelligent and level-headed and will be inheriting a highly experienced and dedicated team,” said Caroline Krass, former CIA General Counsel.
Sounds fine to me?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

mcmagic posted:

I can, the government still needs to function for the next 4 years and most offices have at least some necessary power that can't be delegated to an unconfirmed person.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

boner confessor posted:

minecraft and dwarf fortress are the yin and yang of early 2010's indie pc game innovation

You leave dwarf fortress alone. It doesn't deserve to be tarnished like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

boner confessor posted:

there are probably better clones of it out there that scratch the same itch, by objective standards minecraft is a bad game

This is also completely true. The attention to detail is lacking and technical opportunities to make it look visually more appealing and less blocky were passed up. Problems with gameplay (such as combat, or amount of variety underground, or inability of bots to interact with the map / each other much) that get tiresome if you play for long are not addressed.

Terraria is a 2D clone of Minecraft but exactly the opposite in every way; infinitely better execution, better controls, more challenge, and tons more varied content added in via updates since the release.

You can download it on your phone for $5 right now and play on the same map as any of your friends who do the same and are on the same WiFi network. To do that is just one button push away from the splash screen.

With this type of game as soon as it starts to get boring, start over with a new map and practice speedrunning yourself back to the same status. This gets you more interested in reading about it and speed tricks people have discovered / made videos of. It's also inherently challenging because the world record holders are so far ahead of the pack.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 6, 2017

• Locked thread