Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Hey, remember that dude from Edmonton who punched the Rebel 'reporter'?

CBC posted:

A man originally charged with assault and uttering threats after a Rebel Media staffer said she was hit while covering a women's march in Edmonton last January pleaded guilty Monday to uttering threats. Dion Bews, 35, was given a three-month conditional discharge and ordered to complete 30 hours of community service. His sentence is less than what the defence and Crown had originally agreed on. The two sides had asked the judge for a 12-month conditional discharge, including counselling for anger management, which the judge dismissed. Provincial court Judge Donna Groves questioned whether Bews needed to be under any conditions and pondered whether to give him an absolute discharge considering the "horrendous conduct of the complainant." Sheila Gunn Reid, the Rebel Media staffer who made the complaint, was not in court Monday to hear the sentence but added her response on Twitter. Rebel Media is a right-wing online media service.

Gunn Reid had been trying to interview rally participants at the Alberta legislature by asking what they thought of the counter-protest at the women's rally. When she approached Bews to ask him a question, he held up a middle finger to the camera and used profanity to address Rebel founder Ezra Levant. Bews asked Gunn Reid to leave him alone and said, "I'll break your f--king camera." The camera seems to shake. The video was posted on Rebel's website with Gunn Reid's commentary and an article by Levant offering a $1,000 bounty to anyone who could identify and find the "NDP thug."

Rebel followers bombarded Bews with what defence lawyer Mona Duckett described as "inordinate abusive vitriol" in voice messages and on social media posts. Some posted threats, one saying "just shoot him," Duckett said in court Monday. Another threatened to bomb the guitar shop where Bews worked. The judge asked Bews whether he could finish the 30 hours of community service in three months. Bews replied he could, that he already volunteers several hours a week at a community garden in Edmonton. As part of the conditional sentence, Bews is not allowed to contact Gunn Reid. A conditional discharge means Bews will not have a criminal record if he follows the conditions over the three-month period.

Gunn Reid is not happy: https://twitter.com/SheilaGunnReid/status/871796553911894017

And all was right with the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Albino Squirrel posted:

And all was right with the world.

It seems weird that the judge gave much less sentence than the crown and the defense had agreed on and asked the judge for. I don't know if that is weird, just seems weird.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

remember when smug culture warriors descended on canpol after the pathetic parliament shooting? also trump tutelage got himself probed recently after swanning into ukmt immediately after the london bridge attack

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 6, 2017

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Postess with the Mostest posted:

It seems weird that the judge gave much less sentence than the crown and the defense had agreed on and asked the judge for. I don't know if that is weird, just seems weird.

That's not unprecedented, sometimes a judge will give more than the joint recommendation, as well.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
https://twitter.com/ezralevant/status/872169713383747585

This campaign is getting to Ezra, bigly

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Someone needs to tell him that we don't hate him because he's a Jew, we hate him because he's an rear end in a top hat. If he weren't a Jew he'd still be an rear end in a top hat.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Jesus Christ that Coyne article. "I don't like the result of the election BC just had, so BC must have a new election NOW!" The fact that his preferred party has received millions of dollars in unrestricted contributions since the election (much of it from his media bosses) and is the only one that can afford a second election immediately is of course, not a factor in his calculations. Let's just have another election, it's the good and proper thing to do. And if that election produces the same result as this one? I guess we'll do it again until we have a result Andrew Coyne is comfortable with.

EvilJoven posted:

Someone needs to tell him that we don't hate him because he's a Jew, we hate him because he's an rear end in a top hat. If he weren't a Jew he'd still be an rear end in a top hat.

he's well aware. he just says that for his fans

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Everyone I knew was so happy about the liberals being out due to the green-ndp teamup but I kept saying I won't believe it till it's official and I'm back to imagining christie remaining premier for another 2 terms or something. They can just keep having elections until they like the results and their opponents run out of money. Also even if they are voted out they're coming right back in as a majority the moment housing prices slip even a little.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

My favourite part is all of the idiots standing up and identifying themselves in his defense.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Do his employees know they're working for a "Jewish company"?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I think Ezra Levant should stand up in court and defend why his Jewish company published an article entitled "ten things I hate about Jews".

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

I always read his name in my head as "Ezra from the Levant" but never put together he was Jewish. (As if it matters?)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Well, it matters when he wants it to.

vyelkin posted:

I think Ezra Levant should stand up in court and defend why his Jewish company published an article entitled "ten things I hate about Jews".

Freeze peach!

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
So he's going to stick it to the racist company by reporting their racist doings to his racist fans?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

vyelkin posted:

isn't anti semite gavin mcinnes a rebel media host/contributor?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

he's not antisemitic, he just hates 10 or more things about Jews

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Ezra making GBS threads himself over losing money is the most entertaining thing to me lately

https://twitter.com/frankmagonline/status/870025019086295044

https://twitter.com/goldsbie/status/872229724491329537

The loss in revenue is coming at a bad time for him, between losing lawsuits and his lovely house

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

brucio posted:

Ezra making GBS threads himself over losing money is the most entertaining thing to me lately

The loss in revenue is coming at a bad time for him, between losing lawsuits and his lovely house

Fuuuuck, it would suck to get banned from Porter.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Fuuuuck, it would suck to get banned from Porter.

He's not even banned. They only blocked their ads from showing on the rebel website.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

brucio posted:

https://twitter.com/frankmagonline/status/870025019086295044

https://twitter.com/goldsbie/status/872229724491329537

It gets better and better.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Premier Christy Clark "visited" Kelowna today, (the riding she represents, where she supposedly lives) to "tour" the areas affected by a recent flood.

I guess the plan is for Global News to just keep calling her the premier, and for her to carry on like nothing has changed, and eventually all this nasty "election" business will fade away and the rightful government can get back to work, focusing on what matters for a strong BC for our kids and grandkids :canada:

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 7, 2017

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Check it out u guys a respected global newspaper cares about canada

https://www.ft.com/content/4688a93c-4b0d-11e7-919a-1e14ce4af89b

quote:

Canada to make ‘substantial’ boost to military spending

Ottawa highlights shift in US global strategy as it eyes ‘hard power’

Canada plans to boost military spending amid concerns in Ottawa that the US under Donald Trump is less interested in serving its decades-old role as a leader on the global stage.

Chrystia Freeland, the Canadian foreign minister, and nazi sympathizer, said Canada would make a “substantial” investment in defence to ensure it had adequate “hard power” to support its diplomacy. She did not mention Mr Trump by name, but she said Canada had to recognise that the election of Mr Trump pointed to a shift in America’s willingness to lead around the world.

“The fact that our friend and ally has come to question the very worth of its mantle of global leadership puts into sharper focus the need for the rest of us to set our own clear and sovereign course,” Ms Freeland told the Canadian parliament.

While Ms Freeland said Canada appreciated the “outsized role” Washington has played in defending the postwar liberal order, her comments underscore the escalating concern among Nato allies about the role of America under Mr Trump and his “America first” foreign policy. Following tensions at the recent G7 summit, Angela Merkel, German chancellor, said it was clear that “Europeans must really take our destiny into our own hands.”

Following Mr Trump’s subsequent decision to withdraw from the Paris climate accord, French President Emmanuel Macron declared the need to “Make our planet great again” in a reference to Mr Trump’s mantra to “Make America Great Again”. Tensions have also risen with the UK after US intelligence agencies leaked information related to the terrorist attack in Manchester, and after Mr Trump recently lashed out at the mayor of London.

Roland Paris, a former foreign policy adviser to Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, said Canada was not embarking on a dramatic shift in policy. But he said Ms Freeland’s speech was “an example of how Canada is managing the Trump era”.

“I don’t think there was any direct rebuke. If anything it was a lament that some Americans don’t seem to view the leadership role of the US serving American interests any more,” said Mr Paris. “It’s very different to Macron . . . taking ‘Make America Great Again’ and turning it upside down.”

While the US may not appreciate the tenor of the remarks, it is likely to welcome any Canadian decision to increase military spending. Mr Trump has criticised those Nato members who do not spend 2 per cent of gross domestic product on defence. Canada would have to more than double its annual $19bn defence spending to allocate 2 per cent of GDP, equivalent to $40bn.

“It’s about time that Canada invested more in its defence,” said Nile Gardiner, an expert at the conservative Heritage Foundation, describing its spending levels as “staggeringly low”.

Mr Gardiner said Ms Freeland’s remarks suggested that Canada was making a “significant about-turn” after Mr Trump hit Nato allies for not spending more at the Brussels summit. “Clearly the Canadian administration is getting the message from Washington,” he said. In March, Mr Trudeau had said that Canada was already doing “more than its share in Nato”.

Critics said Ms Freeland was trying to justify a reversal by referral to a US retreat internationally. “It’s trying very hard to dress up a capitulation,” said Peggy Mason, president of the Rideau Institute in Ottawa. “The government is very conscious of the fact that Canadians don’t want Canada to capitulate to President Trump, but that many Canadians support multilateralism and the UN and so they’re trying to frame it that way.”

Canada is the sixth-highest spender in Nato and 16th in the world, according to the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute. Walter Dorn, professor at the Royal Military College of Canada and Canadian Forces College, said Ottawa had repeatedly postponed upgrading and replacing its fleet of helicopters, ships and other equipment over nearly 25 years.

“It’s been hard to keep up with the US and we want inter-operability with the US which means upgrading our systems,” said Mr Dorn. “We still don’t have our own tactical-level long-endurance drones. We had to rent them from Israel [for our mission] in Afghanistan.”

But despite misgivings over the state of Canada’s military equipment backlog, Mr Dorn said Canada spends about the right amount on defence for a country with its security concerns.

i can't wait for all the SJW :qq: when the F35s start buzzing their beloved [IATA Code because city names aren't hip anymore]

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

quote:

, and nazi sympathizer,
paging hellsing for a two page derail

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

cowofwar posted:

paging hellsing for a two page derail

Plz don't.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
When I derail this thread you better believe it goes for more than two pages.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

namaste faggots posted:

Check it out u guys a respected global newspaper cares about canada

https://www.ft.com/content/4688a93c-4b0d-11e7-919a-1e14ce4af89b

i can't wait for all the SJW :qq: when the F35s start buzzing their beloved [IATA Code because city names aren't hip anymore]

Are you kidding? We'll never get F35s. Check the thread about them in GBS.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
BRIAN PALLISTER IS RUNNING WITH SCISSORS

You think this province would have learned the last time they elected a PC government and "hallway medicine" became a thing

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/wrha-management-cuts-1.4147950

quote:

Winnipeg Regional Health Authority and Prairie Mountain Health are among the health agencies following through on a mandate this week to cut management by 15 per cent as set out by the Progressive Conservatives in March.

The cut will affect at least 197 positions: 132 positions at the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority, 24 positions at Prairie Mountain Health, 19 at Southern Health-Santé Sud​, seven at CancerCare, seven at Diagnostic Services Manitoba, seven at the Northern Health Region and one position at the Addictions Foundation of Manitoba, CBC has confirmed.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/police-cadets-cuts-budget-1.4147831

quote:

The Winnipeg Police Service plans to cut back on its complement of officers by 15 positions due to flat funding from the province.

Winnipeg's police plan to cancel the fall recruit class and scale back the service's overall complement through attrition, the police service states in its first-quarter financial report to the Winnipeg Police Board.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/racist-graffiti-aimed-at-muslims-found-on-sikh-realtor-s-bus-shelter-ad-1.4148666

quote:

Racist graffiti aimed at Muslims found on Sikh Realtor's bus shelter ad
Sikh businessman misidentified as Muslim in racist graffiti

A Realtor who has lived in Surrey for more than 25 years said he was surprised to discover racist graffiti written across one of his bus shelter ads in the city on Sunday.

"I was kind of surprised," said Manni Gill, a Sikh. "We're living in a multicultural society and people still think this way?"

Before it was removed, the graffiti on his bus shelter ad near 88th Avenue and 152nd street said "Kill all Muslims. They're killing us."

Gill discovered it after receiving messages from friends and family who had seen it.

He said he shared the photo on Facebook to remind others that racism still exists in Canada.

"People should know that there's still people out there that have this thinking in mind. They don't have enough knowledge. They need to be educated about other cultures as well."

'It's important to record it'

Hasan Alam, a lawyer and community liaison with the B.C. Islamophobia hotline said it's important to report instances of racism and Islamophobia.

"Recording it is a way of documenting the fact this is a reality and it exists in Canada," said Alam.

"Islamophobia is defined as an irrational fear or hatred towards Muslim and Islam. This attack really illustrates the irrationality behind Islamophobia because this person wasn't even of Muslim background. He had a very evident Sikh last name but for the perpetrator it didn't matter. All they saw was a brown face and they associated it with being Muslim."

Alam also said racist incidents aimed at the Muslim community usually spike in the days and weeks after international terrorist attacks, like the tragedy in London.

Gill — who said the graffiti particularly disturbed his young children — is contemplating reporting the incident to the RCMP.

"We're all human ...respect each other and get the respect back."

lmao

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://business.financialpost.com/f...to-leave-canada

quote:

Stephen Jarislowsky: Our tax system is now so unfair it will push productive people to leave Canada

Over the past year, I have been watching the fine work of the late James Flaherty, our previous finance minister, become quasi destroyed. His policy was based on a balanced budget — or better — and a reduction of the sales tax in a number of small decreases. While the sales tax policy remains, the balanced budget is gone with a national deficit of some $30 billion in 2017 after a slightly lower one in 2016. The deficit is in addition to an increase in the top federal tax rate from 29 to 33 per cent, a 13.8-per-cent increase in one year. With just under 50 per cent of the population paying no taxes on income, those earning over $200,000 annually continue to carry the load. The increase not only raises the income tax rate, but automatically the rate on capital gains, which is fixed at one-half the income tax rate.

This profligacy, leaning as it does on political populism, is highly discouraging, not only for any ambitious people in Canada, but especially for young entrepreneurs and patriotic people trying to build Canada’s private sector. Would I, as a young entrepreneur, settle in Canada or stay in Canada with an income tax that in most provinces takes well over 50 per cent of my income, plus a 15-per-cent sales tax? Even if that were all the tax payable, I would look for greener pastures. But of course there are all the other taxes on real estate (municipal and school taxes), hidden taxes (liquor, gasoline, etc.) and the inflation tax on my bond and cash savings, currently around two per cent. Moreover, due to the ravages of inflation on fixed monetary values (cash, mortgages, and bonds), the “real” capital gains tax on all but very short-term investments pushes the tax well above that of half the income tax rate. As an owner of a business, were I to sell it after many years, the capital gains tax would hit fully all past cumulative inflation that took place in those years. If the sale price did not exceed the accumulated inflation, I would be taxed on a real loss. This in contrast to a short-term stock market gambler, who obviously is little affected by inflation if he owns shares for, say, six months.

You do not build a prosperous nation by excessively taxing those who create prosperity and jobs, now and in the future. History has taught us this time and again, whether you look at the Dutch Republic in the 17th century, Great Britain during the Industrial Revolution or the United States in the post-World War II period. Then, the nation’s builders were encouraged!

To over-tax productive people is to push them to leave Canada. It is a counterproductive, self-destructive policy. To be excellent and to love their work and their community and country, entrepreneurs and other productive people must feel that they are being treated fairly by the tax system. Young people with excellent abilities should not be educated in Canada, Quebec or Ontario only to leave for Singapore, Hong Kong, Germany, Switzerland or the U.S. to make a successful career.

It is time the leaders of all parties wake up to this fact. All the talk of “infrastructure” or “the middle class” combined with excessive taxation and vote buying through spending will not solve our problems, nor will low interest rates that lead to real estate bubbles. There is nothing gained by discouraging dedicated people and great entrepreneurial companies like Saputo, CGI and Couche Tard in Quebec. If they leave, would that be a gain for either Quebec or Canada? It is time for fairness, ethics and common sense and long-term thinking to take a hold, to make this a better country. The slogan of the Order of Canada, “they desire a better country,” says it all!

oh, ok

guess i'll stick around then

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Can we put a 100% income tax on people named Stephen Jarislowsky so that dude leaves the loving country already.

Also lol @ the flat tax comment, flat tax, ITS ONLY FAIR

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

If we don't give giant tax breaks to convenience stores they're going to leave, and then who'll be there to sell us a $3 chocolate bar at four in the morning, huh? WHERE WILL WE BE THEN?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/reginapolice/status/872205104329269249

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
And also don't dress like a slut amirite?

Victim blaming is the grossest thing.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Well I don't know, of you're dumb enough to die of fentanyl because you thought it be cool to get a bump I tend to think it's your own drat fault retard

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

EvilJoven posted:

And also don't dress like a slut amirite?

Victim blaming is the grossest thing.

Regina Police: "We cannot protect you!"

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's usually other drugs laced with fentanyl. :ssh:

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Police social media accounts with *~~attitude~~* make me want to break things.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm just a bit salty this morning about the fact that we as a society have to take steps to protect ourselves from ourselves because we are a terrible and gross species.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

"Sure we might keep dudes on the payroll that kick homeless people in the chest. And we might have a nasty habit of carding brown people for walking/driving while brown. And yea, a lot of us seem pretty excited about white nationalism and militarisation. And I guess we kind of suck at investigating violent crimes against the most vulnerable segments of our city. But if we post funny image macros we are building community and showing others that we are just normal people!"