Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The Muppets On PCP posted:

for the most part he gives solid advice and he's pretty honest about lovely gear but yeah he's a total pud

Yea... that's exactly it. Even the preview frame for the video is him with his dumb mouth hanging open lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The more I watch Fricker the more I like him but he's not uh, likable. I don't know. He's alright but can also gently caress off.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
Part of it is that he just can't let a joke go. Any bit he comes up with gets run into the ground, without even real variants to keep it fresh, so the stale rear end comedy winds up poisoning otherwise pretty good videos.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
My favorite video of his was when he dismissed the Axe-Fx full stop because "so I can either use this thing to get a 5150 tone for $2,000 or I can get a real used 5150 to get a 5150 tone for $600 so it's a RIPOOOOFFFFFFF!!!" then he started making unintelligible "making fun of retarded people" noises as he totally dismissed every single other thing a good modeler can do, or in other words the other 99% of a good modeler's functionality that isn't "reproduce stock 5150 tone," because the fact that all he personally wants to do is get 5150 tones of course means that everybody else in the world also only wants that exact same thing so anything else is a waste.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
dude has never been laid, that much is obvious

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

At least the stoner rock guys get they peepees sucked holy guacamole.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah you do good work, thanks

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

That guy falls into the rare category of "correct, but I hate you"

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

GreatGreen posted:

My favorite video of his was when he dismissed the Axe-Fx full stop because "so I can either use this thing to get a 5150 tone for $2,000 or I can get a real used 5150 to get a 5150 tone for $600 so it's a RIPOOOOFFFFFFF!!!" then he started making unintelligible "making fun of retarded people" noises as he totally dismissed every single other thing a good modeler can do, or in other words the other 99% of a good modeler's functionality that isn't "reproduce stock 5150 tone," because the fact that all he personally wants to do is get 5150 tones of course means that everybody else in the world also only wants that exact same thing so anything else is a waste.

to be fair he was mostly talking about it in the context of playing live where a lot of people would be using them to go direct to board in lovely little clubs and bars with a lousy sound guy and where you're not likely to be switching between a billion different amp setups

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Kilometers Davis posted:

The more I watch Fricker the more I like him but he's not uh, likable. I don't know. He's alright but can also gently caress off.

I agree with some of spectresounds stuff, but he's way too much "youtube personality". He has done some OK stuff about general music stupidity, but most of it is basic things like "rehearsing and learning to play is more imoprtant than buying expensive gear". WHILE SHOUTING AND PRETENDING TO BE ANGRY!!!

The only guitar channel I really follow on youtube nowadays is CSGuitars because he is really informative about stuff and doesn't rely on gimmicks and catchphrases except his mesmerizing accent. Ok, catchphrase-wise he did just print shirts with "ALL THE GAIN" printed on them, but that was a joke from one video, not something he has used over and over.

I also sometimes find myself watching Jim Lill's channel because he's also very talented and knowledgeable, and plays a genre I don't really know that well (country) but has interesting licks and music theory.

Almost all other youtube guitar stars are loud and obnoxious on camera and have silly gimmicks, catchphrases and mostly do stunts like playing metal songs in major on ukuleles, or djent covers (with breakdowns of course) of famous pop songs.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Sorry if this has been posted, I skipped like probably a thousand pages, but holy poo poo, they want $12,500 for this loving thing.

lmao

quote:

Since 1987, when he first joined Fender’s production line, Custom Shop Master Builder John Cruz has dreamed of creating a reproduction of the 1961 Fiesta Red Stratocaster Moore, his favorite guitarist, favored in the ’80s... Moore’s instrument was close to “stock,” including the original-spec low-output pickups and traditional 3-way pickup switch. The only modifications were the addition of copper shielding in the cavity and jumbo frets. Cruz’ masterful replica accurately reflects these modifications

Hey so my guitar hero made music that rocked my world with a stock strat that was like 25 years old at the time and was beat all to hell. To emulate my hero, I could:

A) Spend maybe a few hundred bucks on 20-something year old stock instrument with a lot of miles on it and learn to make awesome music with it, much as he did
B) Buy literally any regular rear end strat or strat clone and put some early 60's-style pickups in it, to more faithfully recreate the sound of his specific guitar
C) Buy a guitar that looks like my hero's, but is otherwise equal to or worse than option B in every way, for the price of a 2013 Toyota Prius

God drat people are dumb. I just do not understand what could possibly drive a person to purchase this.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

kjetting posted:

Almost all other youtube guitar stars are loud and obnoxious on camera and have silly gimmicks, catchphrases and mostly do stunts like playing metal songs in major on ukuleles, or djent covers (with breakdowns of course) of famous pop songs.

yeah it's a total wasteland of horseshit

that's why the only guitar-related person worth watching is dan erlewine

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Thermos H Christ posted:

Sorry if this has been posted, I skipped like probably a thousand pages, but holy poo poo, they want $12,500 for this loving thing.

lmao

Hey so my guitar hero made music that rocked my world with a stock strat that was like 25 years old at the time and was beat all to hell. To emulate my hero, I could:

But the thing is, most of the music he made and was famous for was played on a Les Paul. If you're thinking about "famous Les Paul players" then Gary Moore will definitely be up there. Now Fender is trying to convince us that dead rockstar liked the Strat best. The exact inverse has happened with the obscenely-priced Mark Knopfler custom Gibson, a brand he barely played throughout the "famous" part of his career (well I guess he did play one on their novelty hit)

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
When it comes to dead rockstar signature model fuckery, nothing will ever top the time Gibson tried to market Jimi Hendrix signature guitars that looked suspiciously like strats. Bonus points because Hendrix actually performed with SGs and Flying Vs at times, including one with a unique paint job that would be perfect for a signature model.

vs

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
half the blame for that goes to hendrix's family as well for signing off on it

Dirt
May 26, 2003

If dummies are gonna keep buying whatever garbage they stamp Jimi's name on, I can't be mad at his family for milking it for all its worth.

Jimi's dead. Might as well get paid.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

It would be cool if that Gibson strat ended up being really good.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dirt posted:

If dummies are gonna keep buying whatever garbage they stamp Jimi's name on, I can't be mad at his family for milking it for all its worth.

what happened to the hendrix estate kinda sucks to be honest. after he eventually won back rights to everything, his dad was relatively careful about licensing stuff

when he died he gave the estate to his daughter who's basically been using the name as a check cashing service. and then there's his brother leon who set up a separate licensing company and it turned into a mess of lawsuits

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Dirt posted:

I hear that. Jimi found success for about 4 years before he died like 50 years ago. His legacy is probably gonna be what it's gonna be, regardless of how much money his heirs do or don't make from lovely licensed incense and guitars and whatever else.

And Jimi cared about money. You don't go from obscurity to being the highest paid act in the world in like two years if you don't care about money. I suspect he'd be glad to know his sister is set for life and even her descendants are probably in good shape.

Besides, if he hadn't died when he was still young and cool, who knows if his legacy would still be intact. Who among us can say for sure that 40- and 50-something Hendrix wouldn't have cranked out some embarrassing poo poo in the 80's and 90's? Who can say he wouldn't be viewed much the same way Clapton and Santana are at this point?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

yeah it's a total wasteland of horseshit

that's why the only guitar-related person worth watching is dan erlewine

I want to make a video series of "Top Tricks for being a better guitar player" and every video is me blasting through scales alongside a metronome.

I showed some Dan Erlewine videos to some friends who woodwork but don't play guitar and they all loved it. I've stolen so many tricks from that guy.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Snowy posted:

It would be cool if that Gibson strat ended up being really good.

:hmbol:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Thermos H Christ posted:

Who can say he wouldn't be viewed much the same way Clapton and Santana are at this point?

he kinda was for a while in the 80s

Spanish Manlove posted:

I want to make a video series of "Top Tricks for being a better guitar player" and every video is me blasting through scales alongside a metronome.

a couple years back i thought about doing one like the old curt mitchell/wolf marshall/david chastain 80s shred instructional tapes but it'd just be all the cornball poo poo from the mel bay beginner lesson books

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jun 6, 2017

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

he kinda was for a while in the 80s

that's not what he meant

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Thermos H Christ posted:

When it comes to dead rockstar signature model fuckery, nothing will ever top the time Gibson tried to market Jimi Hendrix signature guitars that looked suspiciously like strats. Bonus points because Hendrix actually performed with SGs and Flying Vs at times, including one with a unique paint job that would be perfect for a signature model.

That's a box for a "signature" sex toy.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

dex_sda posted:

that's not what he meant

i know what he meant and in fact a big part of why his reputation was damaged so heavily was because various labels kept putting out lovely albums in the 70s scraping the bottom of the barrel for anything he recorded, going so far as to add extra backing tracks to demos and poo poo

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Thermos H Christ posted:

I hear that. Jimi found success for about 4 years before he died like 50 years ago. His legacy is probably gonna be what it's gonna be, regardless of how much money his heirs do or don't make from lovely licensed incense and guitars and whatever else.

And Jimi cared about money. You don't go from obscurity to being the highest paid act in the world in like two years if you don't care about money. I suspect he'd be glad to know his sister is set for life and even her descendants are probably in good shape.

Besides, if he hadn't died when he was still young and cool, who knows if his legacy would still be intact. Who among us can say for sure that 40- and 50-something Hendrix wouldn't have cranked out some embarrassing poo poo in the 80's and 90's? Who can say he wouldn't be viewed much the same way Clapton and Santana are at this point?

who the hell is talking poo poo about santana. i will fight them.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I always enjoy Brent Hinds talking about hating Santana and Smooth.

quote:

AVC: Have you seen the video recently? It’s so incredibly 1999 it’s alarming.

BH: They’re at some house party and then Santana’s there. Like, “Why would Santana be at your house party?” He just shows up with his hat and his guitar, like, “What?” It’s ridiculous.

http://www.avclub.com/article/mastodons-brent-hinds-on-why-he-hates-santanas-smo-90403

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

That song is pretty rotten. I'm trying to be less negative about music in general but I agree with Mastodon guy.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
gently caress you that song is good and rob thomas's voice is perfect for it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I kinda like it tbh but I'm an idiot

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

99% of jukebox pluggers agree with you 2. Enjoy!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

...and the pitch! posted:

99% of jukebox pluggers agree with you 2. Enjoy!

oh no people who listen to music for fun like a thing. it must be bad.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

cis autodrag posted:

oh no people who listen to music for fun like a thing. it must be bad.

Wha? I wasn't being sarcastic. If you like that song it's good news because you get to hear it all the time.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Wha? I wasn't being sarcastic. If you like that song it's good news because you get to hear it all the time.

i didnt notice the thread had moved to ML so i thought it was just lovely GBS humor. apologies.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

cis autodrag posted:

i didnt notice the thread had moved to ML so i thought it was just lovely GBS humor. apologies.

I should listen to some Santana on purpose. I've only heard his radio hits. I know the percussion is going to be interesting.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I should listen to some Santana on purpose. I've only heard his radio hits. I know the percussion is going to be interesting.

Old Santana stuff rules. He's super talented and didn't always phone in cookie cutter latin jazz rock solos.

I'm going to add a few of his first albums to my Apple Music actually. I've never listened to one start to finish for some reason.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
his 60s and early 70s stuff is decent then at the end of the decade he moves from kinda schlocky lite jazz weather channel tunes to super-schlocky adult contemporary that sounds like bad steely dan covers

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

i know what he meant and in fact a big part of why his reputation was damaged so heavily was because various labels kept putting out lovely albums in the 70s scraping the bottom of the barrel for anything he recorded, going so far as to add extra backing tracks to demos and poo poo

it's a little different I think, cause in the case of Santana and Clapton it's them scraping the bottom while they're still alive and could do something more. But yes it was nuts

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I just whistled that first part of that solo from Black Magic Woman. Goddamn earworm from reading. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
If Jimi Hendrix was still alive, there's about an 85% chance he would have made an appearance in a Super Bowl halftime show by now. Black Eyed Peas all flailing around and sucking, but then what's this? A surprise appearance from famous guitar solo guy Jimi Hendrix, here to drop like 30 seconds of sweet, possibly pre-recorded, licks!

• Locked thread