Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Who What Now posted:

"Weed makes you trans" is a new one to me.

They want to be gadflies. Weed is becoming more mainstream so they need to make it the antichrist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Who What Now posted:

"Weed makes you trans" is a new one to me.

This might be obvious, or :thejoke: but I thought he was saying weed makes you ugly, and trans people are ugly, so weed makes you look trans.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I assume that's what was intended but I think that arguably makes even less sense.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

So is this as much of a big deal as I'm making it be? Like I'm worried this is the death of "youtube feminism" and the Sargon types have "won"

I'm probably just Covoking

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

WrenP-Complete posted:

Came here to post the latter, but I got this thread for you instead:
https://twitter.com/NoraReed/status/871611754312122368

laci green posted:

i like some of them as humans even though they have done stupid poo poo that hurt me, and i don't think they're all evil bigots. esp not chris. he's honestly the sweetest human and it pains me that people blindly cling to gossip about him that is FALSE (google it) or lose their mind bc his language isn't PC enough. some critiques involve the argument that this is "harmful", but i disagree with the notion of speech as harm unless it incites violence.

What the gently caress, did she fall and hit her head?

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lightning Lord posted:

So is this as much of a big deal as I'm making it be? Like I'm worried this is the death of "youtube feminism" and the Sargon types have "won"

I'm probably just Covoking

Only if you buy into the Great Man theory of things. Feminism doesn't seem like a centralized philosophy, so an important person giving up on it doesn't kill the idea. The right has gotten smart to this too, which is why the recent culture war attempts have been mostly headless. Even after Milo got outed as a pedo supporter, the Gaters still have kept trucking on against new victims. Unfortunately, movements need to be fought and contained at the level of the followers rather than just the leaders.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Things will get very interesting once they break up.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Colonel J posted:

What the gently caress, did she fall and hit her head?

boner confessor posted:

being in the early grip of a romantic relationship, especially as a teen or young adult, is about as stupid as most people will get during their entire lives

turns out the part of your brain that makes you want to gently caress is more powerful than the part of your brain which handles politics and rhetoric

this is why anyone who describes themselves as rational is lying to you, themselves, or both

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

business hammocks posted:

Things will get very interesting once they break up.

Agreed. While I sort of expect her to be normal unless CRG totally crosses the line (i.e. actual abuse, leaking pics or the like) I can't think either he or his followers will be kind about her. Maybe he grows up by then, but I doubt it unless he basically loses his audience by then.

I'm also uncertain if CRG is in the Nixon end of the MRA community or the Bannon end of it. As in, is he just about manipulating a bunch of white losers for his own self gain or is he an actual true believer in this poo poo. If it's the former than I'd expect a decent relationship with a woman or just finding a decent real job would be enough for him to drop the MRA gravy train-- it can't be all that much money given how needy those guys end up being. If he's dumb enough to be a true believer, any rocky patch in the relationship will just reinforce the toxic ideas he has about the way people handle relationships.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

boner confessor posted:

turns out the part of your brain that makes you want to gently caress is more powerful than the part of your brain which handles politics and rhetoric

this is why anyone who describes themselves as rational is lying to you, themselves, or both

Yup. I think a lot of us here have probably had our own Chris Ray Gun type relationships in the past, if not noticeably worse. And the reason for it is roughly the same as Laci Greene's here. Attraction makes you do the stupid. If the worse thing it does for you in your life is make you date an MRA who isn't abusive, I'd say that's not too bad as far as poor relationship decisions go.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

I don't know why but I've never watched a Contra Points video entirely before. He's basically a hbomberguy mixed with Shaun and amped up to 5 million.

I only wish his videos were longer because I love long form essays like some of Shaun's stuff.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

WrenP-Complete posted:

This might be obvious, or :thejoke: but I thought he was saying weed makes you ugly, and trans people are ugly, so weed makes you look trans.

jokes on them, i was already ugly before smoking weed and figuring things out about myself

it shaun
Jun 6, 2017

PiCroft posted:

I don't know why but I've never watched a Contra Points video entirely before. He's basically a hbomberguy mixed with Shaun and amped up to 5 million.

I only wish his videos were longer because I love long form essays like some of Shaun's stuff.

Yeah that shaun guy is pretty neat huh. Love that guy

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i think shaun is a jerk

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

it shaun posted:

Isn't this so much nicer than twitter? And there are no reactos here on web 1.0.

it shaun
Jun 6, 2017
As comfortable as an old shoe.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

rkajdi posted:

Agreed. While I sort of expect her to be normal unless CRG totally crosses the line (i.e. actual abuse, leaking pics or the like) I can't think either he or his followers will be kind about her. Maybe he grows up by then, but I doubt it unless he basically loses his audience by then.

From what I've seen and read in the comments of Green's "coming out" videos, redpillers are super hyped and accepting of this brave new persona. "Female SJW redpilled by MRA boyfriend" is like a wet dream to them. They want this to be true because it means it can happen to them, too.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
lol but also drat when their relationship turns sour (statistically it will) and green comes to realize she's stuck in the relationship because if they break up she'll be chased off the internet and lose her youtube career though unceasing harassment by a pack of snarling alt right jokers feeling the sting of being dumped by proxy

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I mean if she plays it smart here she doesn't necessarily have to burn any (significant) bridges on the left - we'll be scratching our heads the whole time and won't be too accepting of any apologetics she tries to play on CRG's part, but we're not going to send her death threats. She'd only receive death threats from the same folks she's already receiving them from, and nothing changes.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Deified Data posted:

I mean if she plays it smart here she doesn't necessarily have to burn any (significant) bridges on the left - we'll be scratching our heads the whole time and won't be too accepting of any apologetics she tries to play on CRG's part, but we're not going to send her death threats. She'd only receive death threats from the same folks she's already receiving them from, and nothing changes.

if you really want to pour gas on relentless internet harassment of a woman, accuse her of being unfaithful and promiscuous. remember that zoe quinn caught some pretty bad poo poo before gamergate for expressing her emotions on the internet as a woman, but things didn't get really bad until her angry ex started calling her a cheating whore. it pushes every button in the alt-right brigade's head, rejection on multiple levels AND stoking anxieties of sexual/emotional inadequacy

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

it shaun posted:

Make more videos slacker!!

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge

it shaun posted:

:frogout:

it shaun
Jun 6, 2017

PiCroft posted:

Make more videos slacker!!

I'm on it! I just helped Hbomberguy write a script for one that should be out in a couple of days hopefully.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

<superteam intensifies>

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

<superteam intensifies>

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

it shaun posted:

I'm on it! I just helped Hbomberguy write a script for one that should be out in a couple of days hopefully.

Ugh, I guess this means I should watch more of your videos now!

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
You make some good videos, Shaun.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Shaun I love you!

Also I liked your videos making fun of CinemaSins. I hate that poo poo so much.

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

rkajdi posted:

Agreed. While I sort of expect her to be normal unless CRG totally crosses the line (i.e. actual abuse, leaking pics or the like)

Put money on it while you still can.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i think the problem with saying laci's falling into that trap we all have where we date lovely people is when people usually do that they don't know the person is lovely ahead of time. first few weeks of dating you see someone at their best and it's not until you've already bought in that it turns out they're awful people. she has constant, daily tweets showing what a broken idiotic rear end in a top hat this guy is. he hates her, he hates all women, he hates anyone who isn't a straight white cis man who also hates everyone who isn't a straight white cisman and the whole world can see that and has known since he started tweeting and making videos. she has no excuse.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Groovelord Neato posted:

she has no excuse.

once again, horniness > politics

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Does that mean that the voluntarily celibate are the most truly rational? Because that doesn't seem right.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
good feminist freq episode:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVUmpuq7ygg

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Guavanaut posted:

Does that mean that the voluntarily celibate are the most truly rational? Because that doesn't seem right.

only if you're voluntarily celibate from lack of sex drive and not abysmal social skills or religious pressure

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Someone obviously isn't aware of the power of volcel, not allowing women to steal your semen energy makes you powerful.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

boner confessor posted:

once again, horniness > politics

i am the thirstiest mutherfucker on the planet and if a dime started flirting with me but she was infamous for tweeting race realist poo poo i wouldn't go through with it.

plus chris aint even that good looking and he got an annoying nerd voice that should dry up any pussy.

also LOL at someone not being aware volcel are the most powerful of all beings smdh.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I want an fplus episode on volcel.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I may have said this before, but I like how direct and earnest Anita Sarkeesian is with her videos. It took me a long time to realize that the title of this series is a pun on "freak show" because she's so straight-laced and direct. I'm so used to weary irony and cynical contempt that it's very refreshing to see someone who's simply appalled at our horrible world, as my simmering cynicism prevents me from really acknowledging that truth. It's probably a much healthier response and I wish it were more natural for me. I love Contrapoints, but his "dark mother, cold mother" riffs on her do a disservice to what she's about, although I like him have probably lost the capacity to be shocked without prompting.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

I want an fplus episode on volcel.

There's a book about them and the rest of the alt-right coming out tomorrow:

https://www.amazon.com/Kill-All-Normies-Culture-Alt-Right/dp/1785355430

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I can pretty confidently say that I've never completely ignored the obvious personality/ideological flaws of girls I've dated or been interested in. This girl I dated in high school was a supporter of Bush (I entered HS in 2000) and even in high school I would argue with her about it and didn't somehow convince myself it was a good thing. Like, yeah, I still kept dating her because she was attractive and I thought the pros outweighed the cons, but I didn't ignore the cons, if that makes sense.

I love Contrapoints, but his "dark mother, cold mother" riffs on her do a disservice to what she's about, although I like him have probably lost the capacity to be shocked without prompting.

I'm pretty sure that's just a joke about how alt-right people think all "SJW" folks worship and follow Sarkeesian.

• Locked thread