Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

"Jordon drowned after a rafting accident in Washington State on 7 June 1965. His raft, which was carrying four men, broke apart, and his body was discovered floating in Puget Sound on 27 June."

Tae just did a fist pump.

Cool Buff Man posted:

Cool, that's not even close to what his point was, he was saying MJ had the best peak out of anyone

Wilt/Kareem both had superior peaks but were both on weaker teams.

You know if there was a sex tape of that on YouTube it'd have 10,000,000+ views within a day.

Ghost Dog posted:

ok. so would lebron if he signed minimum on the warriors after the 1st season with the cavs.

I won't fault LBJ if he does that. I could salt my driveway for a dozen years with the Internet posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Zogo posted:

Wilt/Kareem both had superior peaks but were both on weaker teams.

I agree, Kareem is the one lost in most conversations. Dude was crazy. Dinwiddie mentioned him as having the best career, but I still think it sells him short.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

NBA Players Perform Worse After Late-Night Twitter Use, Study Finds
https://www.studyfinds.org/nba-twitter-late-night-tweeting/

"Researchers at Stony Brook University examined 112 NBA players’ Twitter accounts from 2009 through 2016 and then analyzed their game-by-game statistics using Yahoo Sports. The authors specifically looked for tweets posted between 11 p.m. and 7 a.m. Statistics were only utilized for the study when a game occurred within the time zone that corresponds to where the player lives.

After examining the 30,000 tweets among the players, the researches determined that when players tweeted late at night, their shooting accuracy dropped by about 1.7 percent in games the next day and they averaged about 1 point less. They also took fewer shots, and recorded fewer rebounds, steals, and blocks."

Niwrad posted:

Longley had a hosed up ankle and I don't even think played for Phoenix.

Lucien Longley played on the Suns and Knicks after his glorious Bulls years..

Ghost Dog posted:

it was pretty bad but [Harden] was not an mvp canidate at the time, its nowhere near one of the worst moves in nba history...

He should've been. Some of his numbers were near the top of the league.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

https://twitter.com/anthonyVslater/status/872129972575645696
Seems like a bad idea Lebron. Though Warriors half court D is really good too.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Ghost Dog posted:

...no ones ever made that same choice as a in his prime mvp to join a team that was just in the finals. its such a brilliant career move i wonder what in the arithmetic has been so different for so many other people

1982 76ers lost in the finals and then Moses Malone joined the team.

1968 Lakers lost in the finals and then Wilt Chamberlain joined the team.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Like has anyone here had a good time watching playoff basketball this year?

Every year has its moments.

Femur posted:

A good defense would atleast give them semblance of control, and less likely that a streak will prolong into a run.

He looked gased to me, didn't shot much 2nd half game 2. Both games have been blown open in the 3rd quarter. If you're the king of the court, and your role players are poo poo, just score. He couldn't, didn't try, worried about this advanced stats maybe then? I was giving him benefit of doubt, but maybe he's a stat nerd and didn't want his stats hurting for the Jordan legacy war.

GSW tore through SAS and UTA D (the #1 and #3 DRtg teams) this season. They have the highest team ORtg in NBA history. A defensive superteam might be the only real threat.

LBJ isn't stupid so he probably knew that doing a full 48 minutes at 100% intensity wasn't worth it at that point. He could've put up fifty and they still would've lost. He conserved his energy and they'll try to make adjustments in G3. The issue is that GSW is so versatile it probably won't matter. One player can't win the title alone.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

euphronius posted:

Dion is real young so projecting him to be better doesn't seem ludicrous.

He's already 25. He'll be 26 in the first half of next year. That's not young.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Cavs are cooked this year, even the GOAT can't carry it this time

Stanley Cup finals are interesting at least

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
https://twitter.com/ArashMarkazi/status/871957612371353600

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Dion is a good defender and a decent passer he would be best used in a jr esque role imo

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
I unironically really want the Sixers to sign Waiters

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Obligatory "gently caress the old players bullshit". Amin's comment that it is really only a basketball phenomenon to poo poo on current players and it's true and pretty annoying.

No one is talking about how the 80s oilers or 2000s red wings would sweep the pens.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Magic/Lavar Ball v. Steph/Jordan who ya'll got?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The general circle jerk around the 80s and Jordan are like, without a doubt the worst aspect of modern basketball coverage and I have to imagine it has driven away a not insignificant amount of fans

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Basketball now is 100 times better than basketball in the 80s and 90s, I can't wait to see how much more the game changes

LeBron > Jordan :colbert:

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
They probably wouldn't have let Harden go if he hadn't looked like wet garbage vs. the Heat in the finals. He didn't shake the "can't play in the playoffs at all" stigma until the last season or two. If he did at all. Harden's a dude who can't play in the playoffs and D'antoni is a guy who can't coach in the playoffs is still an idea

Obviously in hindsight judging a 22 year old by a 5 game sample size (or more likely just the last 4 games of the series) isn't the best way to evaluate, but it was what it was. People were saying real bad stuff about Harden after those games.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

EvanTH posted:

They probably wouldn't have let Harden go if he hadn't looked like wet garbage vs. the Heat in the finals. He didn't shake the "can't play in the playoffs at all" stigma until the last season or two. If he did at all. Harden's a dude who can't play in the playoffs and D'antoni is a guy who can't coach in the playoffs is still an idea

Obviously in hindsight judging a 22 year old by a 5 game sample size (or more likely just the last 4 games of the series) isn't the best way to evaluate, but it was what it was. People were saying real bad stuff about Harden after those games.

I imagine part of the reason he was bad in that Finals was due to being tired from defending LeBron.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Away all Goats posted:

https://twitter.com/anthonyVslater/status/872129972575645696
Seems like a bad idea Lebron. Though Warriors half court D is really good too.

If they don't the Warriors are going to score 130 in the next two games and it will be an easy sweep. You can't run up and down with them when you have Kevin Love and TT you idiots. It would also help if TT and JR actually did anything at all.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I think they can win 1 0r 2 at home still playing at the same tempo. Role players, even on great teams, always play significantly better at home. A lot of the games have been close for the first half and a bit but then GS kept on coming and the Cavs couldn't match b/c JR, Korver, Shump, etc weren't playing well. Not saying they can win the series even but home/road stuff really does seem to matter for rotation/bench players

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Rad Valtar posted:

If they don't the Warriors are going to score 130 in the next two games and it will be an easy sweep. You can't run up and down with them when you have Kevin Love and TT you idiots. It would also help if TT and JR actually did anything at all.
not that i disagree with you but why cant TT run up and down the court? hes not slow, or overweight. by all accounts his conditioning is one of his best skills. he played a ton of minutes in the last 2 finals with seemingly no effect on his abilities.

he has looked poop tho

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I mean I think GSW will tear them up in the half court too. They're hosed either way.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
i said it after g2 last year, the Cavs just don't have a way to win this series. They are outclassed in both the individual and sum of their parts, save for LeBron. And then Bogut got injured and Draymond couldn't contain himself and got suspended and Curry couldn't hit a goddamn three.

So I won't say that this year

Actually yea I will the GSW are probably going to sweep

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The benefit of playing more half-court and slowing the game down is having Lebron less fatigued. Lebron who can only play at his maximum for 25 minutes can't beat the Warriors. 35? You have a chance.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
LeBron is basically Hannibal. He can do poo poo like leading elephants across the Alps (getting JR to play smart basketball for 16 games) but there's too many smug Romans running around for him to win in the end. And his backup sucks.

Spacebump posted:

^
Nice

Is Dwight Howard ever going to be discussed as a potentially great player that was ruined by injury?

It's hard to separate the injury from his insistence on post play

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

chunkles posted:

It's hard to separate the injury from his insistence on post play

Yeah, Dwight had some unimpeachably great seasons, so I'd definitely say the potential was there, but I think basketball changing into a shooter's game had as much to do with his downfall as a superstar as the injuries did

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

euphronius posted:

The lakers ??? They have to have room to sign pg what the Christ hahaha.

The Lakers have a projected payroll of under 50 million for George's free agency year at this point, so that really isn't the issue. They are gonna have money in 2018-19 pretty much no matter what they do.

Getting to a "big offer" for Waiters this season (assuming that means the max) would require a bit of maneuvering, but actually not all that much.

I'm not saying I want either of these things to happen, just that money isn't the problem.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I wonder if the infusion of analytics and "smart" plays into so many aspects of basketball and player development is going to ruin the on court comedy personalities of the NBA. Like with coaching staffs being able to reclaim guys like Javale and Dion I wonder what the future holds for the NBA knucklehead. I see a couple prospects on the Lakers coming into this role, but who will be the next generation of shot calling crazies.

BWV fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 6, 2017

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Is JaVale really reclaimed though? There's always been a tradition of knuckleheads looking competent on teams where everyone else is locked in and then getting signed for way too much money. It's all part of the NBA circle of life.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Paul Zuvella posted:

The general circle jerk around the 80s and Jordan are like, without a doubt the worst aspect of modern basketball coverage and I have to imagine it has driven away a not insignificant amount of fans

actually, the worst part is the refs

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

chunkles posted:

Is JaVale really reclaimed though? There's always been a tradition of knuckleheads looking competent on teams where everyone else is locked in and then getting signed for way too much money. It's all part of the NBA circle of life.
my worry is that now that more teams are "smart" the knuckleheads will always get cut or traded on the cheap and just be reigned in on the good teams.
I hope some team signs him for a bunch but what if the future means no more jokers getting big time usage on bad teams

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Cool Buff Man posted:

Yeah, Dwight had some unimpeachably great seasons, so I'd definitely say the potential was there, but I think basketball changing into a shooter's game had as much to do with his downfall as a superstar as the injuries did

I'm pretty sure it was the back injury. There are a long line of big-men who can't shoot that have gotten rings going back. TT, Bogut, Splitter. If anything those Orlando teams were prototypes for what a lot of teams are doing now: 1 big to guard the paint and get boards surrounded by 4 shooters. His game is FAR from antiquated. His back gave out and he lost a lot of his athleticism and then he became a good-then-average center instead of a superstar.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Even his Los Angeles right-after-surgery season was solid statistically though. It's more the unwatchability of those teams and, aside from the Rockets WCF run, how easily they were dispatched from the playoffs while teams ran single coverage on him. Granted those Rockets teams weren't the best offensively personnel-wise but watching Harden get Capela a double double every night just with lobs it's hard not to think that a fair amount of that was his fault

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

JaVale is still JaVale. He just happens to be in the best possible situation for his extremely limited skill set.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
So anyone predicting a sweep care to put your money where your posts are?

I'll take the first bettor to step up

$25 to the winner's charity of choice

You win if the Warriors complete their sweep and go 16-0 in the playoffs (and those of you who think these playoffs suck, if the Warriors do that it'll probably be talked about more than any other playoffs this decade).

I win if the Cavs manage to take 1 game.

Can the Warriors make a 2 game win streak happen?

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010

Lockback posted:

So anyone predicting a sweep care to put your money where your posts are?

I'll take the first bettor to step up

$25 to the winner's charity of choice

You win if the Warriors complete their sweep and go 16-0 in the playoffs (and those of you who think these playoffs suck, if the Warriors do that it'll probably be talked about more than any other playoffs this decade).

I win if the Cavs manage to take 1 game.

Can the Warriors make a 2 game win streak happen?

I'll take the bet.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

roundmidnight posted:

I'll take the bet.

We have a challenger!

This is fun, because the last time I was rooting for the evil empires to prevail. Though I do think 16-0 in my lifetime would be pretty neat.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010

Lockback posted:

We have a challenger!

This is fun, because the last time I was rooting for the evil empires to prevail. Though I do think 16-0 in my lifetime would be pretty neat.

I have no particular horse in the race but I think it'd be fun!

I'll choose MSF/Doctors Without Borders.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Cool Buff Man posted:

Rudy Gobert is a top 10 player and Dwight healthy and running the pnr was that kind of player. Equivalent or better TS on almost 150-200% the usage, the worst year of his 4 year peak he had more DWS than Gobert's best year, forced opposing teams to foul constantly, altered every single shot within 15 feet. He was probably pushed to shoot too much (or pushed himself to by insisting on post isos) but he could absolutely be a Gobert esque force today were he still healthy. Hell he's not a BAD player now.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

roundmidnight posted:

I have no particular horse in the race but I think it'd be fun!

I'll choose MSF/Doctors Without Borders.

Worthy cause. I just noticed game 4 is Friday and I may not have the best access to internet this weekend if the sweep does happen, but I have reminders set for next week too.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I really want the Cavs to win, and still think Durant is a bitch, but if Lebron doesnt win I guess it is more fun to cheer for history. Which means if the Warriors sweep I hope they win 70 next year and just be as dominate as possible.
I'd rather drown in a tidal wave than a dripping sink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

I'd vote for that ticket.

https://twitter.com/AlyshaTsuji/status/872225048534241280

• Locked thread