Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Thanks. It looks quite cool, 45km/h and 35km range is a bit limited though (and it's €13k).

open24hours fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

open24hours posted:

Thanks. It looks quite cool, 45km/h and 35km range is a bit limited though (and it's €13k).

New tech

Just wait we will all be torquing the f out of crap electrically and cheaply soon

on Mars because no n one can breathe on earf 2025

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Scooter dudes: I have a 2016 Genuine Buddy I'd like to sell, but I don't know what price to ask for. Is there any resources for scooters I can look at that would give me a price?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
https://www.kbb.com/motorcycles/scooter/genuine/

vvv well poop

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 14, 2017

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Says they don't have a pricing for it. :(

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Check Craigslist in your area and see what other people are selling them for.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Deep Thoreau posted:

Says they don't have a pricing for it. :(

Looks like it might be a bit too new, they have 2015 pricing (at least for the 125). I'd check wide-range Craigslist searches like SearchTempest to see what's listed and use that + KBB for 2015 + what you want for it as data points.

As far as I know Buddys haven't changed much over the years, so low-mileage 2013-2015 examples would be good baselines for your 2016.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Since the la goon thread died: any scoot bros in Los Angeles? I've brought my scooter to Route 66 again because I think it's drifting but they say it's fine. I could use a goon to ride it and give me a second opinion

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Not in LA but i'm curious as to what you mean by thinking it's "drifting". Like you feel like the rear wheel is slipping out in turns?

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Nah. It drifts to the left when I try to ride straight. I crashed about 3 weeks ago, took it in to get fixed. It's been doing it since then. The mechanic says the forks are fine so I'm not sure what's up

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Rear wheel out of alignment?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
What type of scooter? Not too many things could cause that, the rear end (meaning the engine/transmission itself) can't really get bent, and a damaged wheel wouldn't cause that symptom. But the motor mounts could bend and of course the front end could. Forks might be ok but steering neck could be bent, I've seen that before.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Got a genuine buddy 2016 125cc. I plan on selling it soon but I'd like to get this straightened out before that.

edit: Mechanic took a look, said its all fine, so who knows.

Deep Thoreau fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 15, 2017

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Deep Thoreau posted:

Nah. It drifts to the left when I try to ride straight. I crashed about 3 weeks ago, took it in to get fixed. It's been doing it since then. The mechanic says the forks are fine so I'm not sure what's up

Put a 3' flourescent bulb against your rear tire. Bet things don't line up.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
The girlfriend has been talking up a scooter as a way to make a 5 mile commute to work more fun/eco-friendly, so I've agreed to start hunting for some good scoots. Originally she wanted the Honda Metropolitan, but I have suggested a 125-200cc scoot since we're pretty much in an ex-urb "self-important SUV shithead" zone, and the average speed on two major she would need to use is much faster than the posted limit of 45mph. I trust the average moron on these streets as much as I trust a copperhead that works on Wall Street, so I want her to be able to keep up with traffic and not encourage a dickhead in an SUX 9000 Crossover to try to pass. I've seen the way people blow by 50cc scoot riders on these back roads, and it makes me weep for humanity.

Enough whining. I found two decent machines in the area around us, one a Yamaha Vino 125 and the other the ubiquitous Vespa LX150. If the Yammy is anything like their other products, it's a safe bet mechanically if a bit weird styling-wise (that headlight looks like it came from the set of a knock-off of Dr. Who). Also, production ceased in 2009 so I'm questioning spare parts availability in the longer run. The Vespa is my personal favorite as it does have a bit more room in the top speed department, but it is Italian and, while I'm no stranger to being whipped while wearing a ball-gag the Italian Bike Experience, I fear a scoot with too much "character" may push her away from riding. Both can be had for under $1k and come with a few dings and dents which will make the inevitable drop much less painful. Anyone have any advice on either of these machines?

Also, we already factored a good HJC modular helmet, gloves, jacket, etc. into the budget so any other suggestions for < $1,500 USD scoots is appreciated . :unsmith:

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
You're dead right about the Vino being good mechanically but a little off looking. I had an '07 for a couple years and it was good if unremarkable. The LX150 is definitely more bike - looks better, will ride better, more power. I'd find it weird if a comparable LX was as cheap as a Vino.

I don't know how long Yam keeps part supplies, but the LX is discontinued, too, and the Sprint/Primavera that replaced it are mechanically different. Overall I'd still probably put my money on Yam parts being the cheaper (certainly) and easier (maybe) to find. Maybe spend some time at partzilla.com to see how their stock looks.

Old LXs are solid bikes though. You don't get The True Italian Experience until you get into the GT/GTS range. And maybe the new Vespas that have TC and ABS and poo poo.

For $1500 used I'd also look for Zuma 125s (I have one, it is great) and Genuine Buddy 125/150s (not the 170i, Genuine's FI is flaky).

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

The True Italian Experience
In case anyone doesn't know, this means bad head gaskets

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

In case anyone doesn't know, this means bad head gaskets

And failed thermostats, and failed ECUs... Last summer I was on a ride with a dude who had just bought a fancy new GTS300 Super, like a $7,000 scooter. It stalled on him, just shut off. If I remember right all the electrics - lights, dash - shut off while he was riding and when he slowed down it shut off. Took half an hour before it would restart. He also said it burned a noticeable amount of oil on highway rides - which we had just done - which he thought was normal for scooters. Hint: it isn't.

In the interest of fairness, my Zuma 125 has stalled on me a couple times. The ECU seems to be a bit of a slow learner, and if there's a big temperature swing (ride home at 60F, leave for work at 30F) it can struggle. It putters out at the first stop but restarts immediately. It's always when the engine is cold and in the first block or two.

All that said I did spend a weekend on a borrowed GT200 a few years ago, and I've ridden a GTS300, and holy poo poo they are nice. Almost worth the potential trouble.

Gay Nudist Dad fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 5, 2017

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
God, I almost want a scooter again. (Starts looking at local stuff online.)

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

You're dead right about the Vino being good mechanically but a little off looking. I had an '07 for a couple years and it was good if unremarkable. The LX150 is definitely more bike - looks better, will ride better, more power. I'd find it weird if a comparable LX was as cheap as a Vino.

I figured out why they're not asking much for the LX - it was binned a lot harder than I had initially thought and is missing the glove box up front. New part from a Vespa parts supplier runs ~ $280, but I'm seeing a guy on Ebay parting out a dead LX that might be willing to let it go for a quarter of that. The girlfriend brought up a good point, though - she's concerned about the reach to the handlebars and while I personally fit on almost every motorcycle ever made (yay being the world average for height), she tends to have trouble.

Also, thanks for the advice on the Genuine Buddy! I remember people saying Genuine is a very respectable brand and the Buddy is that just-right mix of retro-modern scoot that she is looking for. Once we get through this endless, lovely move we're in the midst of, I'm going to take her to see the LX, the Vino, and maybe a Buddy if we can find one in the right price range.

SpannerX posted:

God, I almost want a scooter again. (Starts looking at local stuff online.)

Not gonna lie, if she doesn't end up liking scoots I might buy whatever she chooses off of her. My only fear is that I'll like it more than my motorcycle, and ride that less than I do now. :gonk:

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Ripoff posted:

Not gonna lie, if she doesn't end up liking scoots I might buy whatever she chooses off of her. My only fear is that I'll like it more than my motorcycle, and ride that less than I do now. :gonk:

When I had my P200E, I rode that much more than my KLR650. It was much more handy to use around town.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ripoff posted:

This will happen. The key is remembering to alternate them.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Two wheels is two wheels. Plus I can't imagine one taking themselves too seriously on a scoot and that just adds to the fun.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Ripoff posted:

This is a very real concern. I have a Ducati 999S, Triumph Street Triple, and a Douchey Deus'esq TW200 and I think I rode my scooter more than all 3 combined last year. Summer heat + heavy clutch + traffic in the city is miserable on the 999 and being able to park on the sidewalk anywhere I go is so nice. "It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"......I also have more speeding tickets on my Zuma than my 999.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Same. Before I got my vespa I had a cbr250 and it just wasn't fun to commute on, being stuck behind people on 35mph single lane roads. Sure it was a blast out on the twisties but for city riding I'll take the scoot any day. Fun at any speed + built in storage, it's hard to pass up.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I'm so stoked to have a running and driving Puch Maxi. I ordered a bunch of parts to make it driveable, like turn signals and a flasher unit, plus just put in an order for a helmet and gloves. Looking into working brake lights right now too. I'll post progress pics in thread here!

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Kind of an odd question, but for those of you who're in scooter clubs in the States: what's the composition of your group like? I joined what I think is the only scooter club in my area and have done a few rides with them, but they're all a bunch of...olds. Like middle aged dads. They're a nice enough bunch, but it's not really my crowd. I am surprised by this primarily because I see a lot of people in my age bracket scooting around town all the time, and I figured the makeup of the club would be a little more representative of that (I can think of a few reasons why it's skewed the way it is, but it's neither here nor there). Is this club an aberration, or is it like that all over the place?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There are 3 types of scooter riders:

1) Middle aged dads
2) Teens with license restrictions
3) DUI dudes who upgraded from their kids huffy

CHOOSE YOR SIDE

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Breakfast Feud posted:

I'm so stoked to have a running and driving Puch Maxi. Looking into working brake lights right now too.
Good luck. And I say that the way you'd say it to a guy trying to build a Formula 1 car at home.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Communist Walrus posted:

Kind of an odd question, but for those of you who're in scooter clubs in the States: what's the composition of your group like? I joined what I think is the only scooter club in my area and have done a few rides with them, but they're all a bunch of...olds. Like middle aged dads. They're a nice enough bunch, but it's not really my crowd. I am surprised by this primarily because I see a lot of people in my age bracket scooting around town all the time, and I figured the makeup of the club would be a little more representative of that (I can think of a few reasons why it's skewed the way it is, but it's neither here nor there). Is this club an aberration, or is it like that all over the place?

That's pretty reflective of my experience in greater Seattle, but a lot of the "older" riders have been at it since they were teens/twentysomethings - more than a few were mods/skinheads in their day and have been on scooters forever. Very few riders of retirement age, though; if I had to guess a median age it'd be like 45. Most don't have kids.

Here, it's the Asian-bike-focused clubs that skew younger - the Ruckus-oriented club, when it was active, was mostly <30.. We have one club that's almost entirely 25-35 year olds and they're rad. A few of them knew each other in college and had scooters for the normal reasons college kids do, and grew it from there. They're one of the biggest and most active clubs, and almost entirely ride modern Taiwanese or Japanese bikes (they're drat near all on Zuma 125s).

I think there are a lot of reasons why scooter clubs, especially Vespa-focused ones, skew older. One, I think, is just money and time. The other I think is cultural. You think about the people who are 45+, and maybe they saw Roman Holiday (1953) on TV and Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck gallivanting around on a Vespa stuck with them. Or, more powerfully, the UK Mod culture of the '60s that so celebrated Vespas and Lambrettas, and the revival of it in the '80s (with Quadrophenia[i] in 1979). A lot of elder Seattle scooterists got into it around then, or got influenced by it around then and got their bikes in the '90s.

I'm 30 and scooters just haven't been considered cool in my lifetime. I mean I dimly recall some ska bands were into them but, [i]come on
. Most of the people around my age that ride got into it because they had a friend who go into it and they got into it because they were cheap transportation or something, there was no big cultural driver like there had been in the past.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

There are 3 types of scooter riders:

1) Middle aged dads
2) Teens with license restrictions
3) DUI dudes who upgraded from their kids huffy

CHOOSE YOR SIDE

2 and 3 don't apply in WA. 49cc still has to be registered and requires a valid driver's license, and anything bigger requires a motorcycle license.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I know one person in a small displacement riding group (in Salem, OR). They all ride scooters or motorcycles that can't (or barely can) go on the interstate. They go on camping and road trips. Actually sounds pretty fun. He's got a 49cc scoot and a grom.

Everyone else I see on a scooter in Beaverton is either an old or a college student.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah Thera re a handful of scooter focused groups here in MKE. There is a HUGE ruckus group that gets together and shuts the streets down every few weeks.

The one I'm more involved in revolves around a dedicated scooter shop downtown called Moto Scoot, which is composed of all types and brands of scooters, just general scooter enthusiasm really. There are also the Cream City Cranks, who are focused mainly on the classic two stroke mopeds from the 60's and 70's.

All in all there is a good scene here, but it's not an "obvious" scene, only the ruckus one is easy to stumble into because they're very active on Facebook. The other two involve having been to Moto scoot or knowing someone already in cream city cranks.

My (non snarky this time) advice is keep looking and asking around. There are probably other groups. What city are you in?

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jun 6, 2017

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

That's pretty reflective of my experience in greater Seattle, but a lot of the "older" riders have been at it since they were teens/twentysomethings - more than a few were mods/skinheads in their day and have been on scooters forever. Very few riders of retirement age, though; if I had to guess a median age it'd be like 45. Most don't have kids.

Here, it's the Asian-bike-focused clubs that skew younger - the Ruckus-oriented club, when it was active, was mostly <30.. We have one club that's almost entirely 25-35 year olds and they're rad. A few of them knew each other in college and had scooters for the normal reasons college kids do, and grew it from there. They're one of the biggest and most active clubs, and almost entirely ride modern Taiwanese or Japanese bikes (they're drat near all on Zuma 125s).

I think there are a lot of reasons why scooter clubs, especially Vespa-focused ones, skew older. One, I think, is just money and time. The other I think is cultural. You think about the people who are 45+, and maybe they saw Roman Holiday (1953) on TV and Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck gallivanting around on a Vespa stuck with them. Or, more powerfully, the UK Mod culture of the '60s that so celebrated Vespas and Lambrettas, and the revival of it in the '80s (with Quadrophenia in 1979). A lot of elder Seattle scooterists got into it around then, or got influenced by it around then and got their bikes in the '90s.

I'm 30 and scooters just haven't been considered cool in my lifetime. I mean I dimly recall some ska bands were into them but, come on. Most of the people around my age that ride got into it because they had a friend who go into it and they got into it because they were cheap transportation or something, there was no big cultural driver like there had been in the past.

The cultural angle with Roman Holiday and the cool factor are ones that I hadn't considered, but make a lot of sense. There really isn't much of a cultural touchstone for younger generations. Until I moved to the east coast, I think my only exposure to scooters was in Grand Theft Auto, where they were called the Faggios and were the shittiest two wheelers in the game.

I figured the biggest barriers to entry in my area were time and money. I live in DC, where the DMV recently stopped administering the motorcycle skills test and instead requires you to go through a third party who'll certify you. Naturally, there are no third parties that do this in the city itself, so you're in for a trek out to Maryland or Virginia (and a ~$350 hit to your bank account). Easy enough if you have a car, but probably hellish if you rely on public transportation. Difficulty finding a whole weekend to devote to the basic rider course (and getting over the cost) was why I spent a year and a half putzing around on a 50cc, and I can easily see people not wanting to bother with the hassle and sticking with a scooter that doesn't require anything more than a driver's license. Add to it that all the rides my club does implicitly or explicitly prohibit 50ccs and there goes a considerable chunk of younger riders right there.

E:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah Thera re a handful of scooter focused groups here in MKE. There is a HUGE ruckus group that gets together and shuts the streets down every few weeks.

The one I'm more involved in revolves around a dedicated scooter shop downtown called Moto Scoot, which is composed of all types and brands of scooters, just general scooter enthusiasm really. There are also the Cream City Cranks, who are focused mainly on the classic two stroke mopeds from the 60's and 70's.

All in all there is a good scene here, but it's not an "obvious" scene, only the ruckus one is easy to stumble into because they're very active on Facebook. The other two involve having been to Moto scoot or knowing someone already in cream city cranks.

My (non snarky this time) advice is keep looking and asking around. There are probably other groups. What city are you in?

As I mentioned above, I'm in DC. I'm planning on taking your advice and asking around at the some of the local scooter shops next time I stop in them. I've stumbled across the remnants of a few scooter clubs in the area, but it looks like they've been dead for years. The one remaining active club is the DC Spin Doctors, which isn't really a formal club so much as it is a Meetup.com group.

FeculentWizardTits fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jun 6, 2017

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

It's a shame the Ruckus fad died out, I was really hoping it would lead to something bigger. The Grom has sort of replaced it, but it's just not the same.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I dunno, I'm in the MKE Ruckus Facebook group and they are buying and selling and starting new builds and parting old builds out every day.

I wish the scene would have done more cool engine stuff. Every single Ruckus build is some very slight variation on the default Ruckus recipe:

1) GY6 motor
2) Stretch it
3) Slam it
4) Fat tire kit
5) Tiny blingy USD forks
6) Disk brake kit

And that's it. Over and over and over

Show me a Ruckus with a 650 Burgman motor swap. I can't hate too much because seeing custom Rucks everywhere isn't the worst thing and it gets people thinking about scooters, but it'd be cool if more people deviated from the formula

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
It went Ruckus > Zuma 125 > Grom > kinda dead here. Still plenty of people around with those bikes but I think some of the guys that really rallied them all together moved away or got out of the hobby.

I agree about the formula being a little boring, but that's just the scene. And the GY6 motors were mostly loving garbage. There's one guy around Seattle with a Rattler-swapped Ruckus and it's loving rad. One of my favorite bikes around. There's more variety in the Grom scene, at least they're building them into stuntbikes and poo poo too.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I dunno, I'm in the MKE Ruckus Facebook group and they are buying and selling and starting new builds and parting old builds out every day.

I wish the scene would have done more cool engine stuff. Every single Ruckus build is some very slight variation on the default Ruckus recipe:

1) GY6 motor
2) Stretch it
3) Slam it
4) Fat tire kit
5) Tiny blingy USD forks
6) Disk brake kit

And that's it. Over and over and over

Show me a Ruckus with a 650 Burgman motor swap. I can't hate too much because seeing custom Rucks everywhere isn't the worst thing and it gets people thinking about scooters, but it'd be cool if more people deviated from the formula

Maybe it just seems like it died because they moved from forums to Facebook.

There was that Ruckus with the Silverwing motor that someone on TotalRuckus made pretty early on, but it wasn't the neatest job. Plenty of cool stuff in Japan though. http://motor.geocities.jp/sonic_crafity/zoom.htm

[EDIT: Christ I need to buy another scooter. I like my Chaly but there's just something about the CVT and the flat floor that I really like.]

open24hours fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jun 7, 2017

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Since Ruckuseseses are the 2 wheeled equivalent of water cooled VWs, they attract douchenozzles who all perform identical modifications. Because the price to enter the scene is considerably lower than that for cars, you get to see even dumber things done on a regular basis. My latest favorite was the guy complaining about how crappy his drive belt was and then posted this. Surely powder coating the drive face of your variator had nothing to do with it and also is a hecka sweet mod. Of course he had switched out the engine for an air cooled GY6 and immediately removed the fan shrouds because he didn't like the way they looked and installed his super long intake backwards so the carburetor was now a foot away from the engine.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Almost forgot about the fuel line draped over the frame. All those other mods make using the stock front drum brake after tripling engine displacement seem downright sensible since he probably would have hosed up bleeding a hydraulic system and complained about how crappy aftermarket disc brakes were after immediately crashing.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lmao at the brake cable