Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

HyperPuma posted:

anything can be portable when you can suspend the game, but thats just not how i play it. i like to take my time and wander and doing one thing leads naturally to the next. its not a game i would want to play in 20 minute chunks. im thinking more of puzzle games, stuff with discreet levels, short round based gameplay etc

That doesn't change what I said though; Botw is purposely broken down into tiny chunks everywhere in the game. You could go around and find 3 korok puzzles in 20 minutes, any amount of grinding for upgrade parts, or set a specific small area to explore via putting down your own pins. Playing botw in small chunks is exactly what I've been doing for the past month and I don't think you need a game to tell you when to stop via levels.

Honestly, a surprisingly amount of rpgs work well for portability as has been the case from DS/PSP/3DS/Vita for years. The only thing that doesn't work is large story sections, but Botw doesn't have that.

Ventana fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jun 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES
Is pokemon fighty game gonna be good?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

We aren't gonna get another handheld unles the Switch suddenly tanks the entire point of the Switch is to consolidate both divisions to combat escalating cost and time for developing games on two seperate platforms why would they undo the restructuring they did for that express purpose :psyduck:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'll bet anyone a ban this does not happen, but I need a better finish line than "eventually".

Isn't the "official" expected sales supposed to be 12 million, (with production ramped up to 16/18) by year's end?

How about... 8 million consoles sold through? That'd scare Nintendo pretty drat bad.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

TFRazorsaw posted:

At which point we may get a more dedicated handheld instead of "home console that is sometimes a handheld".

I think it's unwise to count any possibility out.

But the Switch is a handheld that's sometimes a home console

Healbot posted:

DS and 3DS had their mainline game about two to two and a half years into their respective life cycles.

It might happen earlier with Switch depending on how well the platform does, it'd need an install base of around 30m.

You gotta remember that all them Pokemon games were compatible with the next console. That's not the case this time.

There's really no reason for them not to do a Switch release for UM and US too

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

pippy posted:

yes pippy. it is of utmost win

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Mister Facetious posted:

Isn't the "official" expected sales supposed to be 12 million, (with production ramped up to 16/18) by year's end?

How about... 8 million consoles sold through? That'd scare Nintendo pretty drat bad.

I meant a timeline on a real pokemon game coming out for the thing, I'm cool with the general timeframe of whenever the DS's various ones came out after they debuted but I'll also probably forget about this by then. They will not get gamefreaks to do this without shuttering the DS line and I really don't think they'll do that for the Switch.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I just bought a :toot: new :toot: 3DS XL Galaxy so they're definitely killing off the 3DS line.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Guy Goodbody posted:

But the Switch is a handheld that's sometimes a home console

Not how Nintendo sees it, which is the important factor here.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I meant a timeline on a real pokemon game coming out for the thing, I'm cool with the general timeframe of whenever the DS's various ones came out after they debuted but I'll also probably forget about this by then. They will not get gamefreaks to do this without shuttering the DS line and I really don't think they'll do that for the Switch.

They aren't going to release a 4DS unless the Switch flops

fact.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

Not how Nintendo sees it, which is the important factor here.

Not how I see it either. I only pull it from the dock when I'm visiting my bro and his kids.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

TimeCube :colbert:

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

pippy posted:

My friend bought it on Wii U and no one in our gaming friend group liked it. It has a few too many weird things that weren't immediately apparent so it didn't work at all for any of us. We love some of the more casual fighters like Soul Calibur and Marvel and stuff so I don't know if high level fight mans like it or not but stuff like the camera switching and having split displays sucked.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Pokken is way more casual than marvel and SC. The gimmick is you swap between a 3d battle arena style and a traditional 2d fighter.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
The switch always threw us of and we were never really sure what triggered it. We played it four maybe an hour before ditching it forever.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Stan Taylor posted:

The switch always threw us of and we were never really sure what triggered it. We played it four maybe an hour before ditching it forever.

We're y'all drunk as poo poo

Electromax
May 6, 2007
The royal 'we', y'know, the editorial...

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax
I was saving my money for Breath of the Wild. But now I think i'm going to save up to buy this instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2ZN_akgTMg

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Mr President posted:

I was saving my money for Breath of the Wild. But now I think i'm going to save up to buy this instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2ZN_akgTMg

Just buy the equally bad NBA playgrounds and get it for free.

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

Chrono U.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Stan Taylor posted:

The switch always threw us of and we were never really sure what triggered it.

Disappointing sales of the Wii U probably.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Pokken was cool, definitely gonna double dip. I'm not all that interested in Ultra Sun&Moon, I was always hoping for a Switch version but I can't see it happening any time soon

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

pippy posted:

It was pretty bad on the Wii U so no.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Pokken was rad and it'll be even better on a system with more than 5 owners

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

irlZaphod posted:

Thank you, I was planning on reposting this when all the Pokemon stuff died down (I've been away for a few days so only found out about the Direct today, in this thread).

Yeah I think maybe the Ranks sometimes being named the same as the Class had me confused, and I guess I didn't realise how different the different genders were. I thought there were just stat/skill differences for them, but it seems more like they're treated as different classes. I was aware that Ranks increased/changed, but looking at the Class tab on the Characters status page was somewhat confusing also. I think it just lists the main Class, with the ranks (as Stars) next to it I'm guessing? Obviously there is a lot there which isn't unlocked for me yet.

A couple of things. For unlocking new classes, the requirements aren't gender specific. A healer can either be a clergy or a cleric and a brawler can be a martial artist or a fight mistress. Also you can set a unique character's subclass to fulfill the unlock requirements as well. You should also go ahead and set any unique characters with a subclass because getting subclass stars increases the points you get per level up (a star in clergy would get you more resistance and a star in warrior would get more attack for example) as well as unlocking a new evillity to buy in the skill shop for that character. You can set subclasses in the assembly if you didn't know that.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Good news for Nintendo and Switch owners; anyone who browses "All Games" on PS4 each week should know by now that Sony is going, ahem- full Steam ahead with allowing any dumb gently caress indie "developer" (and I use the term loosely here) onto their store page:

It's like they actively don't want people to look at their store page (and thus, buy games) anymore.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I'm routinely insulted by the poo poo they try to sell sometimes in their weekly deals.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Mister Facetious posted:

Good news for Nintendo and Switch owners; anyone who browses "All Games" on PS4 each week should know by now that Sony is going, ahem- full Steam ahead with allowing any dumb gently caress indie "developer" (and I use the term loosely here) onto their store page:

It's like they actively don't want people to look at their store page (and thus, buy games) anymore.

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the P-team.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I'm probably skipping ultra sun and moon unless they add a lot of post game content. I've bought every pokemon main game plus the third pillar/sequel game but this could be the first one I skip.

In other news, minecraft on Switch is decent. Anyone else playing? I'll invite you into my world if you want a buddy to play with.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Zelder posted:

I'm routinely insulted by the poo poo they try to sell sometimes in their weekly deals.

Yeah, I hate Ubisoft and Take2 too.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax
Is the game called Pokken because its Tekken with Pokémon characters?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Mr President posted:

:thejoke:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Mr President posted:

Yes, it's developed by Bandai Namco as well to complete the illusion.

It does have its own gimmick of switching between 3D and 2D planes so it's not just a straight clone of Tekken.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 7, 2017

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Pikachu can throw a wind God fist, it's amazing

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mister Facetious posted:

Wow dude.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

WRONG!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-vgIf4cFDY

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

This is a Playstation 4 game. A game running on the fastest selling Sony Playstation console, the Sony Playstation 4.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mister Facetious posted:

This is a Playstation 4 game. A game running on the fastest selling Sony Playstation console, the Sony Playstation 4.

Dont buy it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Mister Facetious posted:

• Locked thread