Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Back on the subject of horrible Internet people twisting themselves into rhetorical pretzels to defend slavery in the name of defending social justice against "bros" though

Does anyone know what "the comment" is that that one Twitter person is referring to as the out-of-context gaffe that everyone is overreacting to when they talk about Hillary chatting amiably about the mental deficiencies of her domestic slaves

I wanna know what one "comment" she is refusing to defend while helping a bunch of other Twitter people defend the practice itself with all their might

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Al! posted:

he also made the mistake of letting Tarantino himself use it once in 1992 and he hasn't stopped since

it's ok to say say friend of the family, Al!

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Al! posted:

easiest trolled thread on the forums

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

oh, you see, the warden in the shawshank redemption was actually the protagonist beca
One of my favorite King movies

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

it's ok to say say friend of the family, Al!

stop trying to get baloogan to come back

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

loquacius posted:

Back on the subject of horrible Internet people twisting themselves into rhetorical pretzels to defend slavery in the name of defending social justice against "bros" though

Does anyone know what "the comment" is that that one Twitter person is referring to as the out-of-context gaffe that everyone is overreacting to when they talk about Hillary chatting amiably about the mental deficiencies of her domestic slaves

I wanna know what one "comment" she is refusing to defend while helping a bunch of other Twitter people defend the practice itself with all their might

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I guess the most flippant way you can dismiss 4 paragraphs of published writing is to refer to it as a "comment" yeah

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

hillary clinton more comfortable hanging around murderers than people who committed property crime

:thunk:

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

loquacius posted:

I guess the most flippant way you can dismiss 4 paragraphs of published writing is to refer to it as a "comment" yeah

i think a lot of people zeroed in on "whimsy"

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/872233739782311936

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Raskolnikov38 posted:

https://twitter.com/bitchyologist/status/872158277240586241

drat those berniebros with their baseless attacks such as "slavery is bad"
What was this tweet?

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
i mean i dont think that but it's something ive heard and im repeating it as fact

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Do you think Hillary ever washed the governor's limousine in front of the workers a la Lucille in Cool Hand Luke?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
Hillary Clinton is [inserts a whiny baby voice] bad candidate

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

ThndrShk2k posted:

What was this tweet?

it was something like, this is from 20 years ago who even cares friggen berniebros

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
To Hillary Clinton, someone's indentured servitude is a humbling life lesson for her and not them so she can go gently caress herself imo

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

ThndrShk2k posted:

What was this tweet?
she locked her account because even her followers got angry at her but basically "this isn't slavery it's a trusteesajhdssajkhgdgh:barf: but even if it was slavery it's a good thing because kalshfdlksdghlsahladfs:barf:"

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

from 'ross the pond

https://twitter.com/Lowenaffchen/status/872242046945427456

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
It's a :airquote:Trusty System:airquote:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

lol first reply

https://twitter.com/reaghanhunt/status/872233917650227200

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

the best part is that bougie woke twitter is still repeating "bernie got a million dollars this year from book sales and bought a CABIN HOUSE along with two other houses that he needs to have for his jobsahalkghddahgakldj:barf:" in the face of this

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Was it really THAT bad that Hillary had slaves? I mean she fed them, clothed them, and gave them shelter. Hillary should be looked up to for this, not looked down upon.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

she locked her account because even her followers got angry at her

really looking forward to this person owning up to her mistakes, learning from them, and growing as a person, like her idol Hillary Clinton

for the record the one in my "drown in irony" post was one about how at least Hillary Clinton's supporters aren't a cult who insist on defending every little thing she says, from a long series of tweets insisting on defending a really stupid thing Hillary said

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
who knew that all this time the titular suk zone referred to hillary

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Was it really THAT bad that Hillary had slaves? I mean she fed them, clothed them, and gave them shelter. Hillary should be looked up to for this, not looked down upon.

i like what you did with the neoliberal logic

its good

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Lessail posted:

who knew that all this time the titular suk zone referred to hillary

I did

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

the "work experience" arguments in favor of prison labor are particularly lol cause no-one will hire an ex-con (they sure as heck will make use of actual convicts tho)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I mean, I can well believe that people were begging to be assigned to work in the governor's mansion when the alternative was probably "chain gang doing road work in 110 degree heat" or something equally awful, but that doesn't make it (and the whole system of prison labor in general) any less hosed up, and shame on Hillary (who I probably otherwise hate the least of anyone in this thread*) for being even passively complicit in it.

___
*In that I don't hate her at all, I just wish she'd made some different choices along the way. A lot of different choices. A lot of them.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Condiv posted:

the "work experience" arguments in favor of prison labor are particularly lol cause no-one will hire an ex-con (they sure as heck will make use of actual convicts tho)

its also nonsense since most of the people enslaved by hilldawg had decade long sentences and aint no job got training that long.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's okay to hate someone for, in the face of overwhelming evidence contrary to their beliefs, maintains a steadfast stubbornness to being wrong.

just like dread abuela.

it's okay to hate hillary clinton.

i encourage hatred of hillary clinton.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
in case anyone missed it, a goldman sachs executive just won the new jersey democratic nomination for governor in a landslide

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

punk rebel ecks posted:

I know this is tongue-in-cheek, but this is straight up the defense mounted for Filipino "domestic helpers" after that Atlantic piece.

Coming from Filipinos themselves.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Concerned Citizen posted:

in case anyone missed it, a goldman sachs executive just won the new jersey democratic nomination for governor in a landslide

https://twitter.com/DecisionDeskHQ/status/872249390714540032

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

What bothers me the most about the Clinton excerpt isn't so much the slaves (which, while bad, more represent the sin of inaction on the Clintons' part*, since it was apparently a practice continuing from before their tenure), but moreso the way she talks about the prisoners. It sounds like she's talking about dogs or monkeys or something with all the "they were very inquisitive" stuff. And that's not even getting into the way she just assumes they must have committed their crimes due to some intrinsic quality they have, rather than the result of their life experiences and environment.

*Though the fact she doesn't even think to say "in retrospect this was bad" is pretty telling

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Don't blame me I voted for Weird Unlikeable Berniebro

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

bernie's state chair, wisniewski, not only got almost no attention from national progressive groups but also didn't even get an endorsement from bernie or our revolution. everyone just let murphy roll into the governor's seat.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Concerned Citizen posted:

Fuckin' New Jersey

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

As someone from Alabama, even I wouldn't go near New Jersey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
and next week the guy who voted for george w bush twice will probably beat bernie-endorsed perriello in va, another mostly ignored vital gov race

• Locked thread