Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

skylined! posted:

not getting a good feeling from the ga06 debate

Do tell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
This is boring. Ossoff hump a chair or something.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Ravenfood posted:

That makes me feel quite a bit worse, honestly.

If he knew how the government worked he could actually get things done.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

twice burned ice posted:

This is awesome.

This is not awesome.

Also, Sessions resigning may be good, but I'm afraid of some stooge sneaking his way through the confirmation process, letting Mueller's investigation go on unimpeded, and then refusing to indict despite its recommendations.

No one will be nominatable to replace sessions for the same reason nobody can be nominated to replace Come. Nobody who wants the job would be able to get through Congress, and nobody who could get through Congress would want to set their careers on fire to take the job.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

eviltastic posted:

Confirmation, and also some revealing phrasing:
https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/872228368049205248
https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/872228757339353088
That specific wording leaves no doubt in my mind that Trump has directly told Sessions, at least, that he wants him to spike the investigation.

What? What I draw from this is Sessions wants Trump to gently caress off and if he won't Sessions will resign. Trump didn't accept the resignation.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

If this is confirmed there doesn't seem to be any way this won't lead to direct impeachment, there is actual precedence here.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

twice burned ice posted:

This is awesome.

This is not awesome.

Also, Sessions resigning may be good, but I'm afraid of some stooge sneaking his way through the confirmation process, letting Mueller's investigation go on unimpeded, and then refusing to indict despite its recommendations.

As opposed to the republican congress who now would likely need to be threatened by the US military putting the business end of a rifle to every one of their heads to act if Mueller brought them enough for high treason?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/costareports/status/872252531312922624

quote:

Trump is keen to be a participant rather than just another viewer, two senior White House officials said, including the possibility of taking to Twitter to offer acerbic commentary during the hearing.
:bisonyes:

e:

quote:

As of now, Trump’s Thursday morning — when Comey is scheduled to start testifying — is open. He plans to deliver a 12:30 p.m. speech at the Faith and Freedom Coalition’s conference in Washington, followed by a 3:30 p.m. meeting with governors and mayors on infrastructure projects.

I have high hopes for those events

awesmoe fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 7, 2017

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

OhDearGodNo posted:

If this is confirmed there doesn't seem to be any way this won't lead to direct impeachment, there is actual precedence here.
Let me explain how it doesn't: gently caress you we want tax cuts

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

awesmoe posted:

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/872252531312922624
Trump is keen to be a participant rather than just another viewer, two senior White House officials said, including the possibility of taking to Twitter to offer acerbic commentary during the hearing.
:bisonyes:

Well the good news is that Trump is a fat, out of shape, feeble old man with a fear of stairs, so I doubt he can punch very hard

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

twice burned ice posted:

STUPID

loving

WATERGATE

I can totally picture Trump straight up bribing that dude with a fiver.

"So how much would it take for you to make this thing go away? Maybe my friend, ABRAHAM LINCOLN, might be able to help you out? :smug: "

"Also, Abraham Lincoln was a Republican. Lots of people don't know this, but he was. Can you believe that?"

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

skylined! posted:

not getting a good feeling from the ga06 debate

Idunno, I think Ossoff is doing pretty well, really.

I mean, it's pretty boring, but congressional debates usually are.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Ague Proof posted:

This is boring. Ossoff hump a chair or something.

Is that what our politics have come to? Wishing for coked-out chair-humpings?

quote:

As of now, Trump’s Thursday morning — when Comey is scheduled to start testifying — is open. He plans to deliver a 12:30 p.m. speech at the Faith and Freedom Coalition’s conference in Washington, followed by a 3:30 p.m. meeting with governors and mayors on infrastructure projects.

How many electoral maps will be handed out at this meeting?

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Nixon speedrun now with live commentary from Trump.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

a bit of shock i guess because i've never heard ossoff speak

however handel just led a response with "i do not support a livable wage" which is just an lol soundbite

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Handel: "I do not support a livable wage"

e: lol

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Karen Handel: "I do not support a livable wage."

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Elotana posted:

Cut taxes for "job creators" and let it trickle down.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

OhDearGodNo posted:

Just keep repeating this to yourself: there is no such thing as an impeachable offense and no one can compel Congress to impeach.

Nixon was staring down the barrel of impeachment and almost certain conviction because he was facing off against a hostile Democratic Congress and enough Republican support peeled off in the end that he knew he couldn't survive. I am not saying that Trump won't be impeached or that he can't be impeached, but it's really important to keep in mind that the one and only thing that can make that happen is if congressional Republicans want it to happen.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
That is worse than bodyslamming a reporter

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Elotana posted:

Mike Pence can sign tax cuts.

Not that I think impeachment is likely.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
It was a couple days ago I think but there was news about Mueller hiring prosecutors. What does that mean, if anything, about the progress of his investigation? Does that mean he's close to bringing charges?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://mobile.twitter.com/costareports/status/872254758471561216

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Z. Autobahn posted:

From a free speech perspective, how is blocking someone on Twitter any different than kicking a disruptive person out of a rally? As amusing as this is, I don't really see the legal throughline.

If I understand correctly (and I might not, fair disclaimer), the right to free speech means that the government cannot legally curtail your ability to say whatever you please with only a few exceptions like hate speech or the ol' 'yelling fire in a crowded theater'. Neither the government nor private entities are required to give you a platform for that free speech, but the government cannot go out of its way to actively curtail your ability to speak freely outside of the exempt situations.

While it is a mere footnote to the incredible mountain of bullshit going on elsewhere throughout this trying time, the argument to be made is that since Twitter is Donnie's personal communication space as the acting POTUS and the primary vehicle for ACTUAL ANNOUNCEMENTS CONCERNING GOVERNANCE, as restated by other members of his administration, then he should not be blocking people from his personal account since it imposes a direct, if small, limitation on their ability to speak freely, and he does so acting as the highest civil servant of the land acting in a professional capacity on his official government announcement service. If an actual case ever gets anywhere, which I doubt, I have no idea how you'd predict the outcome as Wildcard Donnie does poo poo in such an insane, stupid manner that reality slides off his slimy carapace, unable to find any real physics to take purchase on. Maybe you'd get a weird precedent where the government can totally legally curtail free speech whenever it feels like it's 'important' to (...also disclaimer, that probably wouldn't happen, SCOTUS would have to collectively lose their goddamned minds).

A legal challenge to Dondon's ability to block people on Twitter does more to hilight in bright neon colors how incredibly loving stupid this whole situation is, but I doubt it's good for much else.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Pellisworth posted:

It was a couple days ago I think but there was news about Mueller hiring prosecutors. What does that mean, if anything, about the progress of his investigation? Does that mean he's close to bringing charges?

No.

He's hiring his staff, charges would be months away on the best timetable.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ReidRansom posted:

Idunno, I think Ossoff is doing pretty well, really.

From what I saw I thought Ossof seemed better prepared but also I'm partisan and agree with him and people who agree with Handel are going to think she did a good job by repeating the same lies and talking points repeatedly.

There was one solid exchange I saw where Ossof accused her of working towards less funding for Planned Parenthood breast cancer screenings as member of Susan Komen, she expressed outrage and said shes just one person, and he came back with her having taken credit for it in conservative forums. She didn't have an answer for that and changed the subject.

But again, it's a debate. If you like her ideas you'll think she was right there. And vice versa. But as someone who has never been terribly impressed by Ossof I thought he was doing well for what I saw.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
someone needs to make that one avatar pic but swap out emails/berniebros with "pelosi pelOSI PELOSI" and karen handel's face

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Ekster posted:

Nixon speedrun now with live commentary from Trump.

Twitch Plays Watergate

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

How much do ads on Fox News cost in the DC market I wonder?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/ericbradner/status/872254548173369344

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Republicans talk about Pelosi as if she's Machiavelli, ruthless and hypercompetent. How did she get this reputation?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ague Proof posted:

Republicans talk about Pelosi as if she's Machiavelli, ruthless and hypercompetent. How did she get this reputation?

By being a prominent Democrat?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Ague Proof posted:

She's a female Democrat.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Chilichimp posted:

What? What I draw from this is Sessions wants Trump to gently caress off and if he won't Sessions will resign. Trump didn't accept the resignation.

Uh, yeah. I'm talking about why it is that Sessions is getting pissed at Trump and and wanting him to gently caress off.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ague Proof posted:

Obama and Clinton are gone. They needed a new Dem Boogeyman and Pelosi has seniority. They've forgotten how to do anything except run against Democrat tyranny which is why they're pretending Nancy Pelosi is somehow running the government.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

https://twitter.com/jonfavs/status/872256233306079233

that's not good, bob!

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Kinda surprised Ossoff didn't hammer Handel for that comment.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Ague Proof posted:

Those are all true. She's very good at her job of keeping her caucus in line and herding cats. The problem with Pelosi is that she turns into a mushmouthed idiot whenever she's in front of a camera. Plus she hasn't been in power since early 2011.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Ague Proof posted:

Well, she can actually control her caucus, so in comparison to Paul Ryan she may as well be LBJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
RACHEL'S ALIVE! :woop:

• Locked thread