Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Symetrique posted:

Anyone have any experience with a GSI Creos Airbrush? I was looking at the PS289 to replace my current cheap airbrush, and it looked like an interesting alternative to the more expensive HP-CS or H&S Evolution.

i literally just ordered one so if you can wait I can let you know in a few days hopefully!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Paragon8 posted:

i literally just ordered one so if you can wait I can let you know in a few days hopefully!

Nice! I'll be looking forward to it. Where did you order yours from?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I don't have any experience with their airbrushes, but GSI Creos makes the Gunze/Mr. Hobby range of paints, and that's good quality stuff. If they know paint, they must know airbrushes.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Symetrique posted:

Nice! I'll be looking forward to it. Where did you order yours from?

In the UK through Amazon, I think it was a third party seller called "SnM stuff."

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I don't have any experience with their airbrushes, but GSI Creos makes the Gunze/Mr. Hobby range of paints, and that's good quality stuff. If they know paint, they must know airbrushes.

From my reading they're essentially made in the same factory as the Iwata stuff to the point where some of the spare parts are interchangeable. I really enjoy Mr Hobby's goofy names and it was about 40 bux less than the equivalent Iwata.

I'm coming from a Iwata Neo for reference and I am moderately terrible and feel like I struggle with the Neo a lot more than I should be so hopefully upgrading the airbrush will help in that respect.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Paragon8 posted:

In the UK through Amazon, I think it was a third party seller called "SnM stuff."

From my reading they're essentially made in the same factory as the Iwata stuff to the point where some of the spare parts are interchangeable. I really enjoy Mr Hobby's goofy names and it was about 40 bux less than the equivalent Iwata.

I'm coming from a Iwata Neo for reference and I am moderately terrible and feel like I struggle with the Neo a lot more than I should be so hopefully upgrading the airbrush will help in that respect.

SnM stuff have their own online store too. They're really helpful if you have any questions about the stuff they sell. I pickup all of my Alclad from them. http://www.snmstuff.co.uk/

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

TTerrible posted:

SnM stuff have their own online store too. They're really helpful if you have any questions about the stuff they sell. I pickup all of my Alclad from them. http://www.snmstuff.co.uk/

Yeah! I've ordered direct from them before. I didn't realise they were the seller when I ordered on amazon. For supplies I generally bounce between e-models, scalemodelshop, and snmstuff.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I like their description of the Starsky and Hutch Gran Torino. "A model construction kit of this liberally dimensioned upper-middle-class vehicle. The Torino became well known worldwide through a US American crime series that was transmitted from 1975 onwards."

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Darth Brooks posted:

I like their description of the Starsky and Hutch Gran Torino. "A model construction kit of this liberally dimensioned upper-middle-class vehicle. The Torino became well known worldwide through a US American crime series that was transmitted from 1975 onwards."

I noticed that as well. Your girlfriend is so liberally dimensioned...

Undid the valve with some pliers, cleaned everything (the o-ring in under the trigger was covered in paint) and lubed it up with Iwata brand lube, we'll see how it goes.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Paragon8 posted:

I saw few posts claiming that, but nothing too concrete on the specific Mr Hobby airbrush I was looking at. Still, its nice to have that possibility since Iwata parts seem to be easy to come by in the states. I'll probably end up ordering mine from Japan, since even with expedited shipping it's about $40 cheaper than an HP-CS or an Evolution Solo.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Yooper posted:

Looking forward to seeing this. That's a pretty cool looking model. I 3d printed a Battletech Mad Cat but I think the detail is too coarse to get too crazy with washes and such.

Planning on getting a post up tomorrow or Thursday! Had a few things come up at work over the w/e that stopped me from getting things done, which was somewhat irritating.

Quick question for everyone, regarding the Knight- I'm torn on colour schemes. I've narrowed it down to 2, both of which I'd be happy to have a go at, so let me know which the thread would find most interesting:

1) Green and black, along the lines of the old BAOR scheme, like this:

Planning on a little fluff post at the end, so this would be an alt-WW3 thing

OR

2) A red/ orange/ black splinter scheme of Martian camo.

Fluff thing: Earth's counter invasion of Mars after the War of the Worlds..

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Whatever colours you find most fun to paint TBH. I think the Martian camo will look more distinct and appropriate to the sci-fi model and give you more scope for playing around though.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I'm a big fan of all-white African Union tank schemes.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I like how it looks like it's gone mouldy.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Boy howdy, Revell's figure painters never fail to disappoint. :stare:

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I got the 1/32 Tamiya Mustang and am not sure how I want to paint it, so I picked up three 1/72 Tamiya Mustangs to try different paint schemes to see what I like best. Here is the first one. It's loosely based on an illustration from the Time Life WWII book "The Air War in Europe".

I started this 1/72 F-15 a few months ago and something went wrong during the gloss coat prior to weathering. I used Alclad gloss and I didn't thin it enough and laid down too heavy of a coat. The end result is that it was tacky for a couple of months. Being in a cool humid basement didn't help much, so I took advantage of the hot sunny days this past week to let it sit outside in the sun. That helped quite a bit, but it was still slightly tacky so I just skipped the weathering and laid down a few thinned flat coats and called it done. I used Microsol Micro Mask on the canopy and I have to say I'm not too impressed with the stuff. It goes on almost transparent and very thin so it is hard to tell if you have good coverage. I used it previously on a 1/48 Hellcat then let it sit for a few months and it hardened to the point where I could not get it off the canopy at all. For the F-15, I was able to get most of it off, but had to do some scraping and some of the lacquer paint went directly on the canopy through the thin spots so I ended up having to sand down and polish the whole canopy. At this point, I just glued the canopy on with Elmers and called it done. I picked up some of the opaque purple Humbrol maskall. Hopefully, I'll have some better luck with that.

While I was waiting for the clearcoat to cure on the F-15, I built this Bandai Star Wars 1/12 speederbike. It is a snap-together kit, that is molded in color, but I painted and superglued it like you would with a regular model. I was very impressed by how well the pieces fit together. I took a lot of time painting and weathering the bike and didn't plan to include the trooper. After building the bike, I put the trooper together just for kicks, but had a hell of a time getting him into a natural looking position sitting on the seat so I didn't bother going any further with any painting or weathering on him. If you build this model and plan to use glue, skip ahead to the step where the bike mounts to the "tree" with the clear plastic rod to see where that rod mounts. Early on in the build, there is a piece that covers the mount holes for the plastic rod that you will not want to install if you plan to use the stock base. I found out the hard way and had to drill mounting holes in the piece since I had superglued it on, but it worked out okay. Also, be gentle when installing the pieces on the trooper that the shoulderpads mount to. They can snap right in half if you push too hard.

Skunkduster fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 7, 2017

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Sparq posted:

That is really interesting. Would you show some photos of it?

Beer bottle for scale. I printed it at a 0.15mm layer thickness. The PLA is rather touchy. It has some springs on it to tension the legs and that didn't work too well. I'll glue it up once my kid finishes thrashing on it and get a rough paint job on it.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

I figure if I'm doing the body the same color as my old rx7, might as well do the same interior color too.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Tiny produce

I might get rid of the pumpkins because my layout is set in early summer

*edit*
Or better, I could make this big retail space a supermarket.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jun 12, 2017

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

They've gone plaid

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jun 13, 2017

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

clutchpuck posted:

They've gone plaid

... were they supposed to?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yeah. Took like 4 micro sol applications.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

clutchpuck posted:

Yeah. Took like 4 micro sol applications.

Oh, they're decals. Sorry, was phone posting, it looked like some kind of weird wash effect :downs:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Baronjutter, I adore and appreciate your insane train stuff.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

Yooper posted:

Beer bottle for scale. I printed it at a 0.15mm layer thickness. The PLA is rather touchy. It has some springs on it to tension the legs and that didn't work too well. I'll glue it up once my kid finishes thrashing on it and get a rough paint job on it.

That's really good! Your kid is a little lucky dude.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Unkempt posted:

Oh, they're decals. Sorry, was phone posting, it looked like some kind of weird wash effect :downs:

I'll probably hit them with some citadel nuln oil pre mixed wash before covering with dullcote.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I started working on a Tamiya 1:72 P-47 Thunderbolt this weekend. So far, I've finished the cockpit. If I had a job at a company building models, I think I'd be happy just building the cockpits and letting somebody else do the rest.

I borrowed a stereoscopic microscope from work and used a W&N 00 brush to paint the tiny buttons and knobs. Here are the individual pieces:

And here it is all put together. Instead of airbrushing the base coat for the instrument cluster in dark gray, I took the lazy route and "painted" it with a couple coats of Tamiya black panel line accent color. Silver highlights were done with a cheap #1 pointed brush that I chopped off about 3/4 of the length of the bristles to leave a stiff stub of bristles at the base. Drybrushed it with a thinned coat of Mr Color #8 Silver thinned with Mr. Color Leveling thinner. The trick is to get the brush very dry. After loading the brush with the thinned silver, I brushed paint on to a paper towel until no more paint was visibly coming off the brush and then did a couple swipes across the instrument cluster. Worked like a charm!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
For silver highlights, AK and MIG Ammo both make a very nice gunmetal pigment. You can put it on with a rubber tipped applicator, or even just a fingertip. The nice thing though is it starts dark, but the more you polish it you can bring it up all the way to a chrome. I find it a bit easier to use than metallic paint for the really small metal highlights, and it blends very nicely as well.

EDIT: And speaking of AK, fellow Canadian modelers might know how tough it is to find their product range in Canada. The places that do carry it have a very limited range, and charge double of most other places. US stores can be pricy too, and many don't even ship AK's products into Canada because of their flammable enamel base. So in another of my "it's cheaper to buy stuff on the other side of the world than it is here", I'll give a shout out to Cro-Hobby, a hobby-retailer based out of Croatia. They have some of the lowest prices on AK stuff, at about $5.40cdn a bottle, and they carry almost the entire range. Their shipping prices are decent as well. I bought 30 bottles of the stuff, and they shipped it here for $20, and it arrived in just over a week and a half. If I had bought here in Canada, which I wouldn't since no one carries the whole range, it would have cost nearly double what I paid for the whole thing.

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jun 14, 2017

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Great looking cockpit Skunkduster!

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

The Locator posted:

Great looking cockpit Skunkduster!

It's seriously amazing work.

Are those 1cm squares on the paper the cockpit is resting on?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Frenz posted:

It's seriously amazing work.

Are those 1cm squares on the paper the cockpit is resting on?

1/4" squares, so 0.6 cm.

It's interesting how much variety there is in the cockpit detailing even from the same company in the same scale. The blue and white P-51 Mustang in my earlier post is also a Tamiya 1:72 and the cockpit detail sucks. The F15 Eagle in the same post is also 1:72 (I think that was a Hasegawa) and there wasn't much detail in that cockpit either. The detail on this Thunderbolt is what I would expect from a good 1:48 scale model. If anybody is interested in a WW2 fighter, I'd certainly recommend it. It is this kit:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/128758-tamiya-60769-republic-p-47d-thunderbolt

On a related note, does anybody know if there is there a way to search scalemates by release date of models? I'd love to do a search like Hasegawa/WW2/USA/Fighters/ and then sort by release date.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Luke Towan kills it again with another kickass diorama. I think building something for a 1/24 scale rally car would turn out really cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dug-ffEhqZU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I just stumbled on a buildlog for a model of the battleship Musashi in its final resting place https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mate.php?id=16917&p=albums&album=23472&view=list

It's a pretty neat build.

For those not into ships, the Musashi was the sister ship to the Yamato. They were the heaviest displacement battleships ever, and they both got wrecked by carrier-launched aircraft. Took some doing, though:

quote:

Just over two hours later, the battleship was attacked by eight Curtiss SB2C Helldiver dive bombers from Intrepid at 10:27. One 500-pound (230 kg) bomb struck the roof of Turret No. 1, failing to penetrate. Two minutes later, Musashi was struck starboard amidships by a torpedo from a Grumman TBF Avenger, also from Intrepid. The ship took on 3,000 long tons (3,000 t) of water and a 5.5 degree list to starboard that was later reduced to 1 degree by counterflooding compartments on the opposite side. During this attack two Avengers were shot down.[10]

An hour and a half later, another eight Helldivers from Intrepid attacked Musashi again. One bomb hit the upper deck and failed to detonate; another hit the port side of the deck and penetrated two decks before exploding above one of the engine rooms. Fragments broke a steam pipe in the engine room and forced its abandonment as well as that of the adjacent boiler room. Power was lost to the port inboard propeller shaft and the ship's speed dropped to 22 knots (41 km/h; 25 mph). Anti-aircraft fire shot down two Helldivers during this attack. Three minutes later, nine Avengers attacked from both sides of the ship, scoring three torpedo hits on the port side. One hit abreast Turret No. 1, the second flooded a hydraulic machinery room forcing the main turrets to switch over to auxiliary hydraulic pumps, and the third flooded another engine room. More counterflooding reduced the list to one degree to port, but the degree of flooding reduced the ship's forward freeboard by 6 feet (1.8 m). During this attack, Musashi fired sanshikidan anti-aircraft shells from her main armament; one shell detonated in the middle gun of Turret No. 1, possibly because of a bomb fragment in the barrel, and wrecked the turret's elevating machinery.[10]

At 13:31, the ship was attacked by 29 aircraft from the fleet carriers Essex and Lexington. Two Grumman F6F Hellcat fighters strafed the ship's deck and Helldivers scored four more bomb hits near her forward turrets. Musashi was hit by four more torpedoes, three of which were forward of Turret No. 1, causing extensive flooding. The ship was now listing one degree to starboard, and had taken on so much water that her bow was now down 13 feet (4.0 m) and her speed had been reduced to 20 knots (37 km/h; 23 mph). Two hours later nine Helldivers from Enterprise attacked with 1,000-pound (450 kg) armour-piercing bombs, scoring four hits. The ship was hit by three more torpedoes, opening up her starboard bow[27] and reducing her speed to 13 knots (24 km/h; 15 mph). At 15:25, Musashi was attacked by 37 aircraft from Intrepid, the fleet carrier Franklin and the light carrier Cabot. The ship was hit by 13 bombs and 11 more torpedoes during this attack for the loss of three Avengers and three Helldivers. Her speed was reduced to 6 knots (11 km/h; 6.9 mph), her main steering engine was temporarily knocked out and her rudder was briefly jammed 15 degrees to port. Counterflooding reduced her list to six degrees to port from its previous maximum of ten degrees. Musashi had been struck by a total of 19 torpedoes and 17 bombs.[10][N 3]

Kurita left Musashi to fend for herself at 15:30, and encountered her again at 16:21 after reversing course. The ship was headed north, with a list of 10 degrees to port, down 26 feet (7.9 m) at the bow with her forecastle awash. He detailed a heavy cruiser and two destroyers to escort her while frantic efforts were made to correct her list, including flooding another engine room and some boiler rooms. Her engines stopped before she could be beached. At 19:15 her list reached 12 degrees and her crew was ordered to prepare to abandon ship, which they did fifteen minutes later when the list reached 30 degrees. Musashi capsized at 19:36 and sank in 4,430 feet (1,350 m) at 13°07′N 122°32′E.[N 4]Inoguchi chose to go down with his ship; 1,376 of her 2,399-man crew were rescued. About half of her survivors were evacuated to Japan, and the rest took part in the defence of the Philippines.[10] 

Battletech grognards among you will recognize a name in there. :v:

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 17, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's been a very long time since I've laser cut a new building and I've always been scared of curves, but here I go, starting a sort of 1930's modern little apartment building. The secret to curves is lots and lots of bracing.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Could you have cut a series of v-notches where the bends were so they'd take the bend easily?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's a special cardboard called taskboard that's designed to be easy to bend if misted with water, and then dries to hold the bend.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Oh, didn't even realize. I thought when you said supports you meant you were laser cutting some rigid pieces and then man-handling them into curve with generous amounts of glue and clamps.

Me fail modeling? That's unglueable.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The window strips didn't quite curve exactly as my math thought they would so the frames are a tiny tiny bit off-centre as you get away from the middle. I figured I could live with it and you barely notice other than in zoomed in photography like this.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 19, 2017

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Baronjutter posted:

The window strips didn't quite curve exactly as my math thought they would so the frames are a tiny tiny bit off-centre as you get away from the middle. I figured I could live with it and you barely notice other than in zoomed in photography like this.
I've seen more poorly aligned windows in many actual buildings. You are a legend.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I wasn't sure on this building until I put in that bottom gray strip and now I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

CRUSHED BY A GIANT RATTE

I messed about on some graph paper making geometric shapes. Originally I was thinking of making the box look strongly defined, and have false shadows streatching away from it. (In my mind's eye, I was picturing camoflauge that would blend with the Ratte dramatic shadows, or something that would be deceptive a long way away in the air.) I'm thinking of redoing the camo at least partially. I'm thinking of rechoosing my colors so there is a greater contrast between them, and limiting my palette to four.