Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Tales of Woe posted:

I will never figure out how people streak with squishy classes in this game, I die so much on the first few floors before I have a real MP pool or identified consumables

Careful play. That may sound obvious, but playing like every monster is a serious threat is different than how most people play, especially the early levels.

Honestly, unless I'm playing on a streak, or I'm caring about my winrate, I'll play the first 10 levels super recklessly or until I get something good enough for me to justify caring. I don't think that's a particularly bad strategy against time, especially as the more difficult races.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gammafunk
Dec 19, 2015

Araganzar posted:

Streaks have turned this tournament around for our team. koboldina and I discussed the fact that gammafunk and pekkek are back playing and can add 1000-1200 pts to their clan with just a couple wins due to the diminishing return point system. So we decided if we wanted to make a game of it we had to get streaks going. I'm a pretty YOLO player and I'd rather just try to win risky combos, but I agreed and set a personal goal of streaking 5 games in a row.

I'm not "back" to playing; my plan from the start was "just get four wins", since that's all I'll have time for. Pekkekke had suddenly been busy a couple days into tourney, so I'm not sure how much time he'll have time to get wins, but my clan slot was always the meme slot, as Demise called it. Obviously deep down he wants the cachet of having a bonafide Twitch Affiliate who also prepared the release and runs the tournament. Truth is that elliptic isn't running a clan this tournament, so with no clan of coolplayers (we have our very own Sequell nick) this time, the Australians were a second choice.
:mmmsmug:

Jokes aside, I will probably get a 15-runer in those 4 wins and try to make it a 4-streak, but I have to win two games with limited free time. It's cool how you guys have pulled significantly ahead despite WLTGO having 3 of the top four players! Yermak is a beast, as always, and I'm not sure if UV4 can catch up to him, but both the top player and top clan have been very competitive this year.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

quote:

9 unseen horrors

This gets really annoying when you don't have sInv.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It's only really bad when you're in light armour as a melee/ranged dude and their fast attacks are taking chunks out of your HP bar. It doesn't give you enough time to back into a corridor and bat them (back up a space, attack, repeat). You can sort of do it in open space but it's not guaranteed they'll be in front of you for the attack.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
How does being a monk interact with Uskayaw? Do you gain piety faster, or is it just a nonbo?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Restore abilities potions sure were nice...

PMush Perfect posted:

How does being a monk interact with Uskayaw? Do you gain piety faster, or is it just a nonbo?

No interaction outside your initial piety which obviously won't matter.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
This has been a completely ridiculous game so far.

Highlights include a disgusting mutation set courtesy of Xom, and some of the best items I think I've ever had on one character:

code:
P - amulet "Qaminot" {+Blink Regen+ Slay+4 SInv Stlth-}
K - +2 pair of gloves of the Shore {rF+ rCorr Str+2 Stlth+}
x - ring "Saumn" {+Blink rC+ rN+ MR+++ Dex-3}

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

RIP my bad GrCK high score :(

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Is there a particular preferred "path" for picking up runes. I just started playing again after a long break and i have a promising Gargoyle EE of Veh going right now. I've cleared Lair and Mines, and through D:11. Shoals and Snake spawned. Where do I go from here? My one concern is that I dont have a source of SeeInv which makes diving deeper in the Dungeon annoying to say the least. Thinking I might go clear out a level or two of Elf to beef up and hopefully find some better gear. I haven't found anything particularly amazing gear wise yet.

kickascii
Mar 30, 2010
Gammafunk is a slacker, we need more people streaming crawl especially during tournies!

BTW I couldn't help but notice players named "mdonais" and "iksarHS" on webtiles this tourney, anyone know if these are really the hearthstone devs or LARPers?

kickascii fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 7, 2017

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Usually lair runes first then do some more poo poo for xp and loot (vaults to 4 for sure, maybe elf if it's unavoidable, often crypt, possibly depths?), then one of v:5/abyss/slime, then depths if I haven't then the other 2, then pan/hell/tomb in whatever order seems feisable

Later runes come with a lot more eyeballing of resists and my own capability. Mostly I don't bother with more than 5 runes anymore though, the novelty has worn off and it's kind of a slog

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

gammafunk posted:

IJokes aside, I will probably get a 15-runer in those 4 wins and try to make it a 4-streak, but I have to win two games with limited free time. It's cool how you guys have pulled significantly ahead despite WLTGO having 3 of the top four players! Yermak is a beast, as always, and I'm not sure if UV4 can catch up to him, but both the top player and top clan have been very competitive this year.

TBQH we all felt the lead was insurmountable after the first weekend. Even if Pekkek doesn't return to his usual 24/7 crawling the threat is enough to make our lead feel pretty small.

I don't really know how these teams form, I just was spectating mibe and chatting and I guess he needed a sixth. I just splatted my streak at the Orc entrance to a stone giant and an orc warrior with exploding tomahawks so I hope we can be 4-5 tourney streak buddies.

It's been amazing to watch what the top players are doing. Didn't Yermak win half his games last tournament? I hope the clan race continues to push them. I know my play is a lot better although it's not a way I really like to roll. I basically died because I was too stubborn to accept there was a small risk I would die. My teammates would all have just left Orc.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

vulturesrow posted:

Is there a particular preferred "path" for picking up runes. I just started playing again after a long break and i have a promising Gargoyle EE of Veh going right now. I've cleared Lair and Mines, and through D:11. Shoals and Snake spawned. Where do I go from here? My one concern is that I dont have a source of SeeInv which makes diving deeper in the Dungeon annoying to say the least. Thinking I might go clear out a level or two of Elf to beef up and hopefully find some better gear. I haven't found anything particularly amazing gear wise yet.

Elf 1-2 is not as safe as it once was and there will be annihilators and abyssers in E1 and E2.

Gr of Veh I would clear D12-D15 then do Snake because you have rElec, rPois and AC/GDR which are the three things you want for Snake. You can run from almost everything there that's a threat. Just make sure you prioritize taking out stuff like anacondas and guardian serpents. In fact you better have blink in case a guardian serpent surrounds you with assholes. Basically if you see one try to get out of LOS and minimize the time it can see you and is still alive. It's probably good to have defenses/melee to take out little pissant snakes like mana vipers and adders. Take you time on the vault as an EE and blow stuff up at LOS to draw them out.

I would probably then do Vaults 1-4, then Shoals, then Elf, then Depths.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Elf2 used to be my go-to place to get a good endgame weapon but I die so often there now that I've almost started not bothering until after I've already got 2-3 runes.

On the main question, I usually go LairBranch1 1-3, LairBranch2 1-3, then sweep through both 4s, and decide where to get my third based on that.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
Why is invis a hex

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Samog posted:

Why is invis a hex

Because it benefits a hexer more than someone that would be using charms.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

kickascii posted:

BTW I couldn't help but notice players named "mdonais" and "iksarHS" on webtiles this tourney, anyone know if these are really the hearthstone devs or LARPers?

Donais has talked about playing crawl so it's probably him, yeah

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Araganzar posted:

Elf 1-2 is not as safe as it once was and there will be annihilators and abyssers in E1 and E2.

Gr of Veh I would clear D12-D15 then do Snake because you have rElec, rPois and AC/GDR which are the three things you want for Snake. You can run from almost everything there that's a threat. Just make sure you prioritize taking out stuff like anacondas and guardian serpents. In fact you better have blink in case a guardian serpent surrounds you with assholes. Basically if you see one try to get out of LOS and minimize the time it can see you and is still alive. It's probably good to have defenses/melee to take out little pissant snakes like mana vipers and adders. Take you time on the vault as an EE and blow stuff up at LOS to draw them out.

I would probably then do Vaults 1-4, then Shoals, then Elf, then Depths.

Thanks (to everyone) for the answers. Of course I decided to go do Elf 1 immediately after posting and it actually went quite smoothly. I basically ripped through it with liberal use of LRD. I'll leave Elf 2 for later though and use this order. Snake should be pretty straightforward for all the reasons you mentioned plus my melee weapon is a +8 morningstar with a freeze and +2 Dex on it.

gammafunk
Dec 19, 2015

quote:

Gammafunk is a slacker, we need more people streaming crawl especially during tournies!

gammafunk has been streaming crawl one to two times a week for a couple years now, which is way more than you've done I'm pretty sure. Even if someone has good enough internet to do it, it's a big investment to sit down for 3-5 hours or more at a time and try to play while chatting with viewers and to keep all the necessary stream stuff coordinated.

If you want there to be more crawl streams, try streaming some crawl regularly yourself! It didn't take me long after I started to get 10+ people showing up regularly, and after a while it gets to be more like 25+. Basically every stream I get someone saying "I'm so glad I found a crawl stream, I wish more would stream it!", so there's definitely viewers to be had.

Araganzar posted:

TBQH we all felt the lead was insurmountable after the first weekend. Even if Pekkek doesn't return to his usual 24/7 crawling the threat is enough to make our lead feel pretty small.

I don't really know how these teams form, I just was spectating mibe and chatting and I guess he needed a sixth. I just splatted my streak at the Orc entrance to a stone giant and an orc warrior with exploding tomahawks so I hope we can be 4-5 tourney streak buddies.

It's been amazing to watch what the top players are doing. Didn't Yermak win half his games last tournament? I hope the clan race continues to push them. I know my play is a lot better although it's not a way I really like to roll. I basically died because I was too stubborn to accept there was a small risk I would die. My teammates would all have just left Orc.

Yeah, your team is a really nice group of players, all seasoned vets, but none who really have gone for over 20 wins in a recent tournament or anything crazy, yet you guys are in the lead since all of you are pulling weight well.

Yermak did have a 47% winrate with 28 wins last tourney and has been clocking in... a lot of time this tourney as well...
code:
yermak (t) has played 67 games, between 2017-05-26 20:00:23 and 2017-06-07 06:12:05, won 21 (31.3%), 
high score 22624834, total score 146133971, total turns 2029376, play-time/day 12:41:31,
 total time 6d+20:59:55.
Manman has had an amazing run this t and almost matched the_glow's 18 tournament win streak record with is 15-streak. He's pretty likely to finish ahead of Yermak this tournament as top player.

I don't think Pekkekke is too likely to return at this point, although I could be wrong. I have a feeling the clan competition is gonna be pretty close right up to the end.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
I never realized how insanely powerful Uskayaw is. Being able to just cleave through some chaff and than just popping a full health Saint Roka felt so good. It doesn't even take much damage to get 5* piety with an axe and double digit invocations. 33 grand finales in a 3 rune game, but I never got to use it on an orb of fire :(

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

gammafunk posted:

If you want there to be more crawl streams, try streaming some crawl regularly yourself! It didn't take me long after I started to get 10+ people showing up regularly, and after a while it gets to be more like 25+. Basically every stream I get someone saying "I'm so glad I found a crawl stream, I wish more would stream it!", so there's definitely viewers to be had.
Where do you stream? Twitch, or just in-game?

gammafunk
Dec 19, 2015

PMush Perfect posted:

Where do you stream? Twitch, or just in-game?

https://www.twitch.tv/gammafunk and I play my games in webtiles on CBRO or CJR.

I did a 3h stream of part 3 of my OgAE^Sif just a couple hours ago, and have done 4 streams this tourney so far. I may be able to stream the finale of it tomorrow, but I really have to ascend it tomorrow so I can start on my next win. So I might have to finish it off-stream and most of my next two games will be off-stream as well, but I'll probably get one more stream in before tourney ends this Sunday.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I've streamed on Twitch a bit, but never really stick to one game, and I don't have a cam setup so there's not much chance of selling myself on personality.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

holy poo poo it's been a long time since i played. what are some good race/class/god combos nowadays? also whats the suggested method for leveling skills early game and stuff now as well?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Bob NewSCART posted:

holy poo poo it's been a long time since i played. what are some good race/class/god combos nowadays? also whats the suggested method for leveling skills early game and stuff now as well?
MiBe is always good. Races in 0.20 are sorted by complexity now, which helps. Okawaru's good for melee, Vehument's good for casters, Ashenzari's good for hybrids. Plenty of others are good in a more generic sense.

For a melee, raise your weapon skill to mindelay (it'll be in the weapon's description), for a caster, raise your Spellcasting and whatever school(s) your workhorse spells are in. More generally, "raise killyness until you're happy with your killyness, then raise your notdyingness until your killyness lags behind, repeat".

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

PMush Perfect posted:

I've streamed on Twitch a bit, but never really stick to one game, and I don't have a cam setup so there's not much chance of selling myself on personality.
There are definitely twitch streamers who never facecam who are big regardless. (seagull and moonmoon come to mind. moonmoon actually said DCSS is one of his favorite games once but he doesn't stream it because "you're all dummies, chat")

Of course, the real limiting factor here is that most people don't want to watch streams of old roguelikes. Although if we got sound effects ala that one korean server+twitch integration features like I saw being speculated about in crawldev once, that would get more people interested I'm sure.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Twitch plays DCSS

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
That could actually be interesting if its set so that the player can't ever actually die.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Got my first (last?) win of the tournament!

First Spriggan, first Venom Mage, and first Hepliaklqana win!

This was a weird game. Did Spider without rPois. Finally found it on Elf:3 at something like XL20. I was using almost all my spells through the entire game, which was neat. Kind of a toolbox character.

code:
1477712 odiv the Acrobat (level 27, 124/124 HPs)
             Began as a Spriggan Venom Mage on May 29, 2017.
             Was the Champion of Hepliaklqana.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes on June 7, 2017!

The game lasted 13:09:33 (102526 turns).

odiv the Acrobat (Spriggan Venom Mage)            Turns: 102526, Time: 13:09:34

Health: 124/124    AC: 12    Str: 13    XL:     27
Magic:  38/42      EV: 50    Int: 20    God:    Hepliaklqana [******]
Gold:   6064       SH: 18    Dex: 26    Spells: 0/64 levels left

rFire    + + .     SeeInvis +   a - +9 quick blade (vamp)
rCold    + + .     Gourm    .   R - +3 buckler {rF+}
rNeg     + . .     Faith    .   W - +5 steam dragon scales
rPois    +         Spirit   .   Y - +2 hat "Pikloc" {rCorr Str+5 SInv}
rElec    .         Reflect  +   O - scarf {rC+ rF+}
rCorr    +         Harm     .   (gloves unavailable)
MR       +++++                  (boots unavailable)
Stlth    +++.......             P - amulet of Dyav Lusch {Reflect rN+ MR+ SH+5}
Regen    0.3/turn               e - ring of Phasing {EV+8}
MPRegen  0.3/turn               I - ring of Gealiot {rPois rC+ Str+4}

@: deflect missiles, very quick
A: unfitting armour, reduced essence, see invisible, agile 1, dopey 1, herbivore
3, speed 3, frail 1, low mp 1, screaming 1, slow metabolism 2, no potion heal 1,
subdued magic 1, MP-powered wands
0: Orb of Zot
}: 3/15 runes: barnacled, silver, gossamer
a: Recall Ancestor, Ancestor Identity, Transference, Idealise, Renounce Religion
http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/odiv/morgue-odiv-20170607-030546.txt

odiv fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 7, 2017

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Is there a page documented somewhere with all of the game's hotkeys? I couldn't fine one on the wiki. I know I could hit the '?' command to figure it out but I'd kind of like a list of one up while I play so I can learn them a bit faster.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It's kind of buried deep inside the GIT repository here. There is a link to the documentation from crawl.develz.org but the manual is 404'd. I believe what I provided is what it was supposed to link to.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

jon joe posted:

Twitch plays DCSS with wizmode on

Fixed.

Someone's gonna vote Yes to "Die?"

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Gargoyles seem really cool, and weren't in the game the last time I played. What are the big things I'm looking out for as a gargoyle or that I should be playing towards? They don't have horrible fighting aptitudes so I'm levelling one as a generic fighter right now to get a feel for it

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Bob NewSCART posted:

Gargoyles seem really cool, and weren't in the game the last time I played. What are the big things I'm looking out for as a gargoyle or that I should be playing towards? They don't have horrible fighting aptitudes so I'm levelling one as a generic fighter right now to get a feel for it
The +1 Fighting and Armor aptitudes are the best make-up you're going to get for your -20% HP. Fighting raises accuracy and damage very slightly, but it's mostly the HP skill. This is important because there are enemies who don't give half a crap about how good your AC is. (Orc Priests are probably the first example, Flayed Ghosts being the stereotypical "SHOULD'VE HAD MORE HP, BITCH" cause of death.)

Weapon-wise, your best bet for late-game is probably a good two-handed mace/flail (dire flail or great maul, IIRC) with a good brand, but if you find a really good one-handed artifact, 1H+Shield isn't the worst thing in the world, either. In the mean time, use whatever M/F's good and that you can keep at mindelay.

Floodkiller posted:

Gargoyles are immune to flaying :smug:
:doh:

Still good to have extra HP anyways.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 7, 2017

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

The +1 Fighting and Armor aptitudes are the best make-up you're going to get for your -20% HP. Fighting raises accuracy and damage very slightly, but it's mostly the HP skill. This is important because there are enemies who don't give half a crap about how good your AC is. (Orc Priests are probably the first example, Flayed Ghosts being the stereotypical "SHOULD'VE HAD MORE HP, BITCH" cause of death.)

Gargoyles are immune to flaying :smug:

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Are gargoyles best bet as fighters or do they have decent aptitudes across the board? I remember there being a thing to check all the races aptitudes but I can't remember if it was in game or on the wiki or whatever

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Hit % while you are in character selection to see a table of apts. It's probably accessible from in-game help, too, but I usually just hit * in the training screen.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

kickascii posted:

I'm getting chased down by mdonais' ghost right now. Octopode Summoner. Dude's getting ambitious!

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Bob NewSCART posted:

Are gargoyles best bet as fighters or do they have decent aptitudes across the board? I remember there being a thing to check all the races aptitudes but I can't remember if it was in game or on the wiki or whatever

Gargoyles are good in any role. Even if you don't wear heavy armor, they get innate AC (and innate GDR, which while not unimportant, is still relevant) that makes up for wearing light armor. A gargoyle hybrid can do very well in robes or leather, especially if you go with Chei or Ash. Of course, heavy armor melee is the easiest way to play the game and Trog is the strongest god for almost any species. It is simply indisputable that Gargoyle Berserker is a better choice than any other background if your only goal is to win. But, if you want to try other play styles, Gargoyle is a very good choice for practically every archetype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Gargoyles are good in any role. Even if you don't wear heavy armor, they get innate AC (and innate GDR, which while not unimportant, is still relevant) that makes up for wearing light armor. A gargoyle hybrid can do very well in robes or leather, especially if you go with Chei or Ash. Of course, heavy armor melee is the easiest way to play the game and Trog is the strongest god for almost any species. It is simply indisputable that Gargoyle Berserker is a better choice than any other background if your only goal is to win. But, if you want to try other play styles, Gargoyle is a very good choice for practically every archetype.

Running a GrEE^Veh right now after not playing for a long time. Its really nice not having to worry about poison, etc. Following this guide: http://crawl.chaosforge.org/Majang%27s_Caster_Walk-Through I realize its maybe not the most optimal for a 3 rune game and may have some bad advice but it was a great way to reintroduce me to the game with a character I haven't used before.

• Locked thread