Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wouldn't you be able to tell he's not drunk by speaking with him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wouldn't you be able to tell he's not drunk by speaking with him?

Dude could be suave as gently caress when drinking.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That would make him the opposite of belligerent.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I used to work for a theater next to this Ethiopian restaurant that we all swore was a front. The service and food was terrible and the only customers seem to be a table full of guys sitting by these large picture windows who would give you the stink eye every time you walked in.

Well it turns out a few years later they got rated for selling some African drug whose name I can't remember. I think it was some plant that you chew and it produces a mild stimulant effect. I know when we read about in the paper we had to go look up what the stuff was, despite being lovely little druggies none of us had even heard of it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ethiopian food is always terrible. I thought I was going to love it because it's basically thick hearty stews dumped onto sourdough bread that you eat with your hands, and that sounds extremely up my alley. Unfortunately there's some sort of spice that I can't place in almost everything that a don't like and the injera has a texture like a dish sponge and tastes like sourdough mixed with paper towels. I've tried it three times now and the only thing I sort of liked was some goat curry thing.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Ziv Zulander posted:

I've always heard that high-end dry cleaners make the best fronts.

Of course dry cleaners are the best places for laundering! :downs:

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

bongwizzard posted:

Well it turns out a few years later they got rated
What was the rating?

67 and still making love
Oct 7, 2005

Peek
a
BLARGH

bongwizzard posted:

I used to work for a theater next to this Ethiopian restaurant that we all swore was a front. The service and food was terrible and the only customers seem to be a table full of guys sitting by these large picture windows who would give you the stink eye every time you walked in.

Well it turns out a few years later they got rated for selling some African drug whose name I can't remember. I think it was some plant that you chew and it produces a mild stimulant effect. I know when we read about in the paper we had to go look up what the stuff was, despite being lovely little druggies none of us had even heard of it.

That's Khat

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

My brother loves Ethopian food, but my step sister was in the peace corps and never wants to think of those two words together ever again.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Andorra posted:

Of course dry cleaners are the best places for laundering! :downs:

i'm pretty sure it's where the term comes from, I mean it'd make sense

bongwizzard posted:

I love Ethiopian Food but all the restaurants I've been to have the guys sitting around like that, I think it's a cultural thing. Or maybe they're all just family eatin' out, i'm not gonna like ask ya know

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Red Metal posted:

was the bagel at least cut in two

Cut in four, horizontally like you'd expect, and then vertically like you would not expect.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Followup: did they give you a knife

No, and when I went back in to ask for one (slow learner, me), the lady gave me a glazed donut.

mandatory lesbian posted:

i'm pretty sure it's where the term comes from, I mean it'd make sense

The term is quite a bit older than dry cleaning. The etymology's just the obvious - launder "dirty" money to make it "clean."

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

Ethiopian food is always terrible. I thought I was going to love it because it's basically thick hearty stews dumped onto sourdough bread that you eat with your hands, and that sounds extremely up my alley. Unfortunately there's some sort of spice that I can't place in almost everything that a don't like and the injera has a texture like a dish sponge and tastes like sourdough mixed with paper towels. I've tried it three times now and the only thing I sort of liked was some goat curry thing.

I'm willing to knife fight you over this.

It helps that the nice lady running my favourite Ethiopian restaurant likes to give me bigger portions.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

The term is quite a bit older than dry cleaning. The etymology's just the obvious - launder "dirty" money to make it "clean."

duh, that makes more sense, obviously doing laundry is older then dry cleaning. i'm a dolt

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Though spelled qat for Scrabble!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

That's it! We were bummed, we had been staying up all night working just with coffee, when a cooler option was just next-door.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

No, and when I went back in to ask for one (slow learner, me), the lady gave me a glazed donut.

Is this like some kind of bizarre secret menu? Like you ask them to use the restroom and they nod understandably and slide you a specialty corn dog?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Panfilo posted:

Is this like some kind of bizarre secret menu? Like you ask them to use the restroom and they nod understandably and slide you a specialty corn dog?

You know what, maybe. Everybody pop into your local shady donut place and try it out.

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Panfilo posted:

Close, it's actually a specialty carrot: http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/13/us/marijuana-carrots-texas-border-patrol/index.html

Or a meth taco if that's your thing http://www.denverpost.com/2014/09/22/meth-tacos-17-indicted-in-colorado-bust-of-alleged-drug-ring/

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

You know what, maybe. Everybody pop into your local shady donut place and try it out.

:spergin: "Are their stairs in your donut shop?"
*Receives an exquisite Monte Cristo sandwich*

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

All this talk of restaurant fronts makes me wonder if a front ever accidentally become a legit restaurant, like it turned out someone was legit good at making pizza or tacos or donuts?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Chinese restaurant owner admits selling opium-laced noodles to hook customers.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

This is the wrong thread. You are looking for Excellent Marketing Moves.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

poo poo would have been 100% above board 120 years ago.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ibblebibble posted:

I'm willing to knife fight you over this.

It helps that the nice lady running my favourite Ethiopian restaurant likes to give me bigger portions.

I wished I liked it too. On paper it always sounds amazing, but I just don't enjoy it. Like when I tried these spicy pork and beef meatballs that were wrapped in bacon, dipped in beer batter, and fried. Sounds fantastic, but I just didn't like it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I went to an Ethiopian place once and I liked everything but the injera bread. And eating it with my hands.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

All this talk of restaurant fronts makes me wonder if a front ever accidentally become a legit restaurant, like it turned out someone was legit good at making pizza or tacos or donuts?

It happened to a Vietnamese place that I (and everyone I know) loves. They were even Zagat rated but the owner was busted as a drug kingpin and his restaurant was a front for it. They ended up closing for a bit but reopened.... presumably as a completely legit business.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
There used to be a fantastic Mexican restaurant in Alameda, California. Oldschool actual authentic, like, the guy started it in his house in 1955. Anybody who lived in Alameda back in the day probably knows which place I'm talking about.

Anyway, you'd often have to wait an hour or so on a weekend to get a table, and it was so packed you had to wait outside. Across the street, there was a Chinese place called 'Bamboo Kitchen'. Never, in 10 years of staring at it, had I or anyone I know seen a living soul go in or out. We all make jokes about money laundering every time we eat. So, about 25 years ago, it burns down. We all figure they torched it to cover up their crooked books and that would be it.

Nope, they completely rebuild it, new electric sign and everything. Still nobody goes in or out. Years pass. It burns down AGAIN. They rebuild it AGAIN.
Now the Mexican place closes, sadly, the 'upscale' fucks don't like real food cooked in lard like God intended, and Bamboo Kitchen is still there. Like 45 years of some kinda scam.

I still wonder what goes on in there.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Here's a fun one: Republican villain and Bill Maher stooge Ben Sasse wrote a predictably awful book, but the reviews report an unexpected objection. Props to the hero working at Sasse's publisher. :patriot:

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Here's a fun one: Republican villain and Bill Maher stooge Ben Sasse wrote a predictably awful book, but the reviews report an unexpected objection. Props to the hero working at Sasse's publisher. :patriot:

I have to wonder about the person who made it 2 chapters in before realizing something was wrong.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

I'm sure whoever did this is fired as hell but god bless their attempt to save these people from themselves.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

There's a moderately funny Woody Allen movie called Small Time Crooks with this premise. Worth a couple hours if it's on TV or something.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Unctuous Cretin posted:

Pizza shops always look dead because the vast majority of orders are take out (or delivery).
I don't know what pizza shops you're talking about, all the ones I've been to have had customers waiting for pickup orders.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Panfilo posted:

That seems like a good way to have customers pissing in your back alley.

Panfilo posted:

:spergin: "Are their stairs in your donut shop?"
*Receives an exquisite Monte Cristo sandwich bizarrely conceptualized hot dog*

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

I don't think new and inventive ways to kill MisterBibs are going to be good marketing moves outside of this forum.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Depressio111117 posted:

There's a moderately funny Woody Allen movie called Small Time Crooks with this premise. Worth a couple hours if it's on TV or something.

Was going to suggest this exact film. I saw it with my dad when I was like 11. It was a cute movie. They start a front making cookies while they tunnel into a bank. Hijinks ensue.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Gotta love the poor publishing assistant whose job it is to copy-paste "This review has nothing to do with the contents of this book and is misleading!" on every single negative review.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Wasting a good pun on racist bullshit.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I like tacos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Schubalts posted:

Wasting a good pun on racist bullshit.

No such thing as a good pun :colbert: