Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I was assuming Curie was our mom from the moment they arrived. The characters used the singular "they," which indicates the writers don't want to away the character's gender and it's far to obvious a "twist."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

FPzero posted:

Oh god, that's gonna be the answer isn't it?

Did our mother have a name? Is it anywhere close to Curie?

Lucille.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I love the image that the Uranium wiki has for CURIE

Such majesty :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Doseku posted:

I'm really hoping that Curie will turn out to be the player characters mother. It would be up this game's alley in edgelordness.

It'd be the dumbest reveal ever for a Pokemon game, especially since the main character is a silent protagonist.

So, naturally, it'll probably happen. :(

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Since the update, I've just been hoping the Urayne Pokemon wouldn't turn out to be Mom. If it takes Curie being Mom to make that happen, I'll take it.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Sorites posted:

Since the update, I've just been hoping the Urayne Pokemon wouldn't turn out to be Mom. If it takes Curie being Mom to make that happen, I'll take it.

Yeah, I gotta say, "Mom is alive and human but evil" is marginally better than "Mom's ghost is a Pokemon," although both are still worse than "Mom is dead and it's handled respectfully" or "Mom is alive because we didn't feel the need to fridge a Pokemon protagonist's mother for sadness points" or "literally any other plot than the Uranium plot is happening"

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Farewell, Theo. My reasons were a thousand times more stupid than thou.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Sorites posted:

They're both Mom. Urayne is upper body Mom and Curie is Mom legs and an air pump.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, I gotta say, "Mom is alive and human but evil" is marginally better than "Mom's ghost is a Pokemon," although both are still worse than "Mom is dead and it's handled respectfully" or "Mom is alive because we didn't feel the need to fridge a Pokemon protagonist's mother for sadness points" or "literally any other plot than the Uranium plot is happening"
"Girlfriend is a lobotomized computer brain". Front Mission.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

PMush Perfect posted:

"Girlfriend is a lobotomized computer brain". Front Mission.

Yeah but everything in Front Mission is hosed up. It works there

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Hey remember when pokemon villains threatened to kill people?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

We haven't gone full Uranium yet have we?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Alacron posted:

I love the image that the Uranium wiki has for CURIE

Such majesty :allears:

Jesus, I think they're trying to ape that joke animation from the Undertale trailer where they had Toriel rendered as a goofy-looking 3D model. Given the vast amounts of hubris we've seen from this project so far, I wouldn't be surprised if they sincerely think this game is somehow anywhere near that level of quality.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

SSNeoman posted:

yea that was the main villain of gen 6's big plan

maybe gen 4 as well but I'm not sure

gen 3 had the villains remarkably determined to kill themselves and everyone around them as well but that wasn't intentional on their part. they were just idiots

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

Only implicitly. He "just" wanted to remake the entire universe in his image.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Manatee Cannon posted:

gen 3 had the villains remarkably determined to kill themselves and everyone around them as well but that wasn't intentional on their part. they were just idiots
Team Aqua even more so than the other one. Humans are not amphibious, you dumbfuck.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Anything that would've gotten rid of that drat desert is a net good, though.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

But about six hours from the last second, Cameron appears!?!?!?

So apparently the rain effect is always broken and only halfway on screen here. Good job, devs.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
why is theo's dad on a dragon

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

SSNeoman posted:

Gen 5's implied he would, until the sequel when he actually threatened to kill you, the player character. Gen 6 was basically a Saturday morning cartoon genocide plot. So there is precedence, but both times were handled much better than this. Shocking, I know.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Manatee Cannon posted:

yea that was the main villain of gen 6's big plan

Gen IV has Cyrus trying to literally end the universe and remake it in his own image so it counts even if it isn't super explicit.

Gen V also has Ghetsis go pretty crazy and literally flashfreeze a town at one point. And he threatens to kill the player with a Pokemon before N swoops in and saves you.

Gen VI also has, as a character, someone who dropped basically a nuke 3000 years in the past which explicitly killed thousands and was cursed to be 9 feet tall and immortal wandering around. Az is loving weird.

Gen VII reverted back to mostly petty crime, creating chimeras and horrific child abuse.

Zore fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jun 7, 2017

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Tired Moritz posted:

why is theo's dad on a dragon

If you could ride a dragon anywhere and everywhere, why would you ever not

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Dragonatrix posted:

I remember in my Soul Silver game having my Dodrio follow me so that whenever I got on my bike, I could pretend that I was actually riding my triostrich.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I'm honestly surprised. Not even Cipher threatened to kill people, and they made the pokemon powered by abuse.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Dragonatrix posted:

Yeah I gotta go with this.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
Remember what I said about Pokemon Uranium being pessimistic as opposed to optimistic?

CURIE is the absolute proof of that. This is someone being evil not out of a desire to make money, secure political power, or change the world/universe to make it better in their prespective. This is someone being evil because they are literally so completely rotten to the core that it's what they want to do.

This is someone who has caused two separate nuclear power plant meltdowns, only had the third averted because Theo's dad had stopped it before CURIE could get there, and when confronted about it was gleeful about the suffering it caused as a result. This is someone who literally believes that anyone that isn't it or the artificial legendary it is apparently mind controlling via the interface is an insect that must be crushed.

This is the point that Pokemon Uranium ceases even trying to like an actual Pokemon game all together and finally collapses into full-blown fangame edgy territory.

Welcome to the true Pokemon Uranium.

SSNeoman posted:

I'm honestly surprised. Not even Cipher threatened to kill people, and they made the pokemon powered by abuse.

The head of Team Cipher, Greevil, actually planned to blow up his entire island HQ with you and everyone working with Cipher outside of his own two sons still on it after you beat him at the end of Pokemon XD, but one of said sons convinced him it would be better to just hand himself to the authorities instead of killing so many people for no good reason. That was the one time an explicit attempt to kill showed up in both Colosseum and XD.

I mention this in contrast to how CURIE has already attempted to kill someone on screen and laughed at their agony.

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all
Is it wrong to think despite fan game jankiness and amateur writing, uranium is ok? Like the rest of you are treating it like it's super terrible but it seems pretty competent to me.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

PMush Perfect posted:

I remember in my Soul Silver game having my Dodrio follow me so that whenever I got on my bike, I could pretend that I was actually riding my triostrich.

Ostricycle, surely.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Proud Rat Mom posted:

Is it wrong to think despite fan game jankiness and amateur writing, uranium is ok? Like the rest of you are treating it like it's super terrible but it seems pretty competent to me.

what's good about it

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Proud Rat Mom posted:

Absolutely wrong

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Proud Rat Mom posted:

But it's taking the main gameplay directly from something else. Like this isn't some indie game that's fun despite it's flaws, it's a derivative where basically everything unique to it is bad. It doesn't get points for failing to stop pokemon being basically fun.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Proud Rat Mom posted:

I can assure you that everything that makes it look competent is from the pokemon resource pack for rpgmaker. All the hard work of getting the basics of a pokemon game going were done ahead of time, by someone else, more than a decade ago.

Everything the devs actually did, the writing and level design and game balance and new pokemon, is terrible.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Begemot posted:

I can assure you that everything that makes it look competent is from the pokemon resource pack for rpgmaker. All the hard work of getting the basics of a pokemon game going were done ahead of time, by someone else, more than a decade ago.

Everything the devs actually did, the writing and level design and game balance and new pokemon, is terrible.

Even the UI is terrible. I still have issues making out the health bars because of the bizarre way they're presented.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

Taciturn Tactician posted:

But it's taking the main gameplay directly from something else. Like this isn't some indie game that's fun despite it's flaws, it's a derivative where basically everything unique to it is bad. It doesn't get points for failing to stop pokemon being basically fun.

It's not some indie darling that has janky gameplay and a garbage story. If I want the Pokemon experience, there's a dozen other ways I can get it with quality and polish. If it were a game that did something new and unique, I might be more willing to forgive its flaws.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

And it's worth remembering that OFS is cheating to show us this. He has infinite dirt-cheap Rare Candies, so a major obstruction to any fun to be had has been removed. Imagine if every update featured OFS mentioning "And then I had to grind on random Pokemon for hours because the EXP is awful" a dozen times.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Gordon and Jimm arrived at teh alien scene where a bad guy from the game said "I have take the isotope and it will cause meltdown!"
"NO, NOT ALL OF DALLAS!" Which swas target of where they were and it was nice place and my friend lives there.
"IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO MY DEMANS"
"TOO LATE" and the isotope hit quarterlife and teh room was slowly become vaporize

:allears:

ETA until someone is blown to smitheroons? Excluding backstory mom, is Uranium edgy enough to have someone die on screen?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

EclecticTastes posted:

Jesus, I think they're trying to ape that joke animation from the Undertale trailer where they had Toriel rendered as a goofy-looking 3D model. Given the vast amounts of hubris we've seen from this project so far, I wouldn't be surprised if they sincerely think this game is somehow anywhere near that level of quality.

i think it's just a joke op

edit: and this game is on the same level as undertale :twisted:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Proud Rat Mom posted:

Begemot posted:

I mean... kind of? From a creative standpoint, Uranium represents a staggering amount of effort, drive--and, yes, even a fair bit of talent. Kit or no kit, assembling a game of Uranium's scope is no small feat. It's "ok" in that it's playable and in some sense that is itself a significant accomplishment and I think it's fair to recognize that.

From a player's standpoint, though, none of that really matters. Being an impressive labor of love doesn't actually make the game worth playing. If I want to play a janky Pokemon knockoff it's pretty easy to find something that scratches that itch better than Uranium--to say nothing of, you know, just playing actual Pokemon games.

Also, if the criticism seems unnecessarily harsh, remember that someone actually thought that this thing was something worth creating and sharing with the world:

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

Begemot posted:

I mean not getting into spoilers like the game wraps up its story, attempts to have dramatic moments and stuff. it's pretty edgy and childish but I like the fact the game can be 'completed', has different themes for towns even though they don't always pan out, and a varied dex with mostly mediocre mons.

I did overlook the fact and agree alot probably has to do with the pokemon tools for rpgmaker. But overall taking in it's a fan project, It's ok for what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Proud Rat Mom posted:

Okay, as someone with experience seeing a lot of lovely pokemon fangames, let me say this. If you grade on a curve, then Uranium is merely average. But I don't grade on a curve. The reason there are so many lovely fan projects is because so many people want to be graded on a curve, they want to put in less effort because "Well it's just a fan game, who cares." People on SA are guilty of this too, it's a common feeling.

As others have said, the hard work of what makes the system work has already been done by Pokemon Essentials, and from there we have to judge it by its original assets.

The sprites are bad, the Pokemon are poorly designed, the writing is horrible, the difficulty curve is weird, the music is bad, the only competent things in Uranium were the things inherited by being Pokemon. That's not even getting into my dislike of the layouts of the Routes themselves, the incompetent layouts of the towns and the overall amateurish game design without real understanding.

Add in that the game only looks tolerable because OFS is cheating and devoted time to breeding a super team... and what's the competent part? It functions? Plenty of fangames function. It's complete? That's not something you get rewarded for. And the worst thing is, the dev team is arrogant and thinks they did better than Gamefreak.

So no, I'm exactly as hard on Uranium as I need to be. gently caress Uranium.

• Locked thread