Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

ought ten posted:

Trump's actually backtracking (not publicly of course). He called the Saudis tonight to beg them not to gently caress everything up.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-40182599

This is good news and all, but the Saudis are going to be hilariously pissed if they went ahead with this believing that Trump had their back. I wonder if they'll even bother backing down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

EwokEntourage posted:

FBI is domestic law enforcement, not spooks/spies

Kinda a blurry line at times tho

Ah, I thought it was a general term for the alphabet agency people.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mantis42 posted:

It's confusing because they're considered an intelligence agency underneath the DNI (established in 2004), but traditionally not known as such. Their role as an intelligence agency took off post 9/11.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Paradoxish posted:

This is good news and all, but the Saudis are going to be hilariously pissed if they went ahead with this believing that Trump had their back. I wonder if they'll even bother backing down.

Yeah I mean, the best outcome is no new war in the ME and regional balance/stability are maintained but Trump still stepped in it in a big way and it's hard to imagine there won't be any repercussions.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Didn't this exact sort of situation lead to the Iraq War.

Oh and

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jun/07/qatar-fbi-says-russian-hackers-planted-fake-news-story-that-led-to-crisis-report

quote:

US intelligence officials believe Russian hackers planted a false news story that prompted Saudi Arabia and several allies to sever relations with Qatar, according to CNN.

FBI experts visited Qatar in late May to analyse an alleged cyber breach that saw the hackers place the fake story with Qatar’s state news agency, the US broadcaster said.

Saudi Arabia then cited the false report as part of its reason for instituting a diplomatic and economic blockade of Qatar, the report said. The blockade was joined by several other Gulf states and has spiralled into the worst diplomatic crisis for the region in decades.

Like what the gently caress is even happening right now seriously.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jun 7, 2017

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Paradoxish posted:

When all this broke my immediate thought was "so what brokebrained bullshit did trump do to cause this?"

Well, it's starting to take shape, I guess.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Boon posted:

It's confusing because they're considered an intelligence agency underneath the DNI (established in 2004), but traditionally not known as such. Their role as an intelligence agency took off post 9/11.

Well yeah not paying attention to intelligence lead to 9/11 in the first place.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
This is Kuwait all over again but this time our idiot in charge wrote "invade qatar: it's okay" in crayon on the back of a copy of the electoral map instead of just implying it right?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Has there even been any FBI statement about the Qatar hack?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Hollismason posted:

Depends on which one you're talking about. Gulf #1 started when Iraq politely asked if we'd mind their annexing Kuwait and a heavily-distracted State Dept. still making GBS threads itself over the dissolution of the Soviet Union and Warsaw Pact kind of answered "I dunno, maybe? We don't really care about that part of the world right now so long as gas is cheap."

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mustached Demon posted:

Well yeah not paying attention to intelligence lead to 9/11 in the first place.

Yeah, but I wouldn't quite phrase it that way, rather the 'intel vs evidence' problem without a government mechanism to adjudicate it (thus DNI).

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Depends on which one you're talking about. Gulf #1 started when Iraq politely asked if we'd mind their annexing Kuwait and a heavily-distracted State Dept. still making GBS threads itself over the dissolution of the Soviet Union and Warsaw Pact kind of answered "I dunno, maybe? We don't really care about that part of the world right now so long as gas is cheap."

That's the one I was referring to.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Orchestrated Mess posted:

Hope I didn't miss someone already posting this, but...

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/336683-eric-trump-dems-not-even-people

Cutting healthcare of 23 million people makes you a compassionate human with a message, though. We deserve better than this! :patriot:

Yes, because the democrats are the ones that passed an unworkable healthcare bill in the House, that was then routinely ignored by the Senate democrats.

Idiocy runs in the family, apparently.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Orchestrated Mess posted:

Hope I didn't miss someone already posting this, but...

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/336683-eric-trump-dems-not-even-people

Cutting healthcare of 23 million people makes you a compassionate human with a message, though. We deserve better than this! :patriot:

This comes from the same man who was directly involved in a charity for children with cancer where nearly 100% of the proceedings went directly to his father's bank account.

Also, I understand Karen Handel basically said she didn't believe in a livable wage. God drat, Republicans are bad at speaking.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
What the gently caress was the crisis last week. I honestly can't remember. Last week was the orb right.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Hollismason posted:

What the gently caress was the crisis last week. I honestly can't remember. Last week was the orb right.

Orb was two weeks ago.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Hollismason posted:

Last week was the fallout of our closest allies alternately demanding we not gently caress up their internal investigations and then openly laughing to our face after we threatened them. Then as a result we literally demanded that the world burn.

We didn't start the fire.

Boon fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jun 7, 2017

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Trump pulls out of Paris Agreement (or at least screams about it).

Also covfefe?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Hollismason posted:

Oh and

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jun/07/qatar-fbi-says-russian-hackers-planted-fake-news-story-that-led-to-crisis-report

Russian Hackers Did It sounds like a nice out for the Saudis.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Mantis42 posted:

It usually refers to spies, and I think most people would conjure up the vision of a spy hiding in the shadows, specifically like a CIA agent. I wouldn't call someone who worked for the NSA or one of the more obscure agencies like the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA) (which i just looked up) a spook. to me, the word spook carries a specific connotation, like a John le Carré novel

the FBI is a domestic police agency, but it also would qualify as an intelligence agency I think. Like boon said, its complicated and not very clearly separated.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
What I'm curious about is how much of the Russian Qatar interference was them duping KSA, vs. at what level KSA knew the real intelligence picture but are using this is as casus belli for invasion regardless because Trump gave them tacit approval. I would lean towards the latter, in which case it's basically Trump joining an ad hoc coalition with Russia and KSA against his own military base and ally. loving lol this could be the stupidest war pretext since... the last one

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I mean if the X-Files and Twin Peaks taught me anything, the FBI probably has literal ghosts on staff somewhere.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

EwokEntourage posted:

It usually refers to spies, and I think most people would conjure up the vision of a spy hiding in the shadows, specifically like a CIA agent. I wouldn't call someone who worked for the NSA or one of the more obscure agencies like the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA) (which i just looked up) a spook. to me, the word spook carries a specific connotation, like a John le Carré novel

the FBI is a domestic police agency, but it also would qualify as an intelligence agency I think. Like boon said, its complicated and not very clearly separated.

The FBI's mission has always been to defend the US constitution, so I hope Comey taps into the classic Hollywood FBI agent persona and goes loving raw when he testifies.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

EwokEntourage posted:

He wasn't even law enforcement, he was DoJ. Dude was a prosecuting attorney his whole life prior to heading the FBI.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

EwokEntourage posted:

FBI is in charge of counter intelligence.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

Stairmaster posted:

Domestic counter intelligence. Roll that one around.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Stairmaster posted:

Only domestically as the CIA can't operate inside the US (lmao okay sure)

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

mango sentinel posted:

He wasn't even law enforcement, he was DoJ. Dude was a prosecuting attorney his whole life prior to heading the FBI.
not the uncommon, the last few fbi directors haven''t been career agents. Not like Comey was out there dusting for finger prints
comey was deputy AG
Mueller was a lawyer and deputy AG
Freeh was a federal district court judge
sessions was a federal district court judge
webster was a federal judge, then FBI director, then CIA director
you gotta go back to Kelly, who was the second appointed FBI director, to get an actual FBI agent as director (Comey was only the 7th director of the FBI)

Agency heads often don't come from that agency.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Stairmaster posted:

within the United States, yes. Because spying against the US, within the US, is a crime. The FBI undoubtedly operates as an intelligence agency in certain respects, but it operates in a fundamentally different way. For example, the FBI has to / is supposed to get warrants to monitor communications (even if the FISA court is basically a rubber stamp). The CIA/NSA doesn't get warrants, on the grounds that they (supposedly) don't spy on Americans or within America, etc.

quote isn't edit or whatever the gently caress i just did

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

Hollismason posted:

Oh and

https://gifyu.com/images/ddd3a1561a477c098b98c52dfd0a452b9fe48fb4a2a18c1b4a9610bba6c30a49.gif

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

EwokEntourage posted:

not the uncommon, the last few fbi directors haven''t been career agents. Not like Comey was out there dusting for finger prints
comey was deputy AG
Mueller was a lawyer and deputy AG
Freeh was a federal district court judge
sessions was a federal district court judge
webster was a federal judge, then FBI director, then CIA director
you gotta go back to Kelly, who was the second appointed FBI director, to get an actual FBI agent as director (Comey was only the 7th director of the FBI)

Agency heads often don't come from that agency.
Yeah it's a natural arc, I was just piling on how misguided mantis was calling him a "career spook."

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/IBTimes/status/871894471990005762

I dunno if there is a big enough :thunk: for this headline.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Dexo posted:

https://twitter.com/thomas_violence/status/871901640365719552

:vince:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

How do they all manage to always look so ugly?

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

^^^ If you're ugly inside it eventually just seeps out of your pores.

Dexo posted:

"Are infiltrating" is some interesting grammar there. Really? Present progressive? How about "Have been infiltrating" or "Have infiltrated" or better yet, "Have dominated our law enforcement agencies since the beginning--we just don't wanna call good old boys White Supremacists"? Call a goddamn Jack a Jack.

Vedius Pollio
Sep 11, 2007

:perfect:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Dexo posted:

That "news" is from 2006.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
As someone pointed out earlier if Qatar just has to eat all of KSA's demands, which basically amount to 'stop having regional or global influence or independent foreign policy to speak of, ' despite their having a US military base really doesn't bode well for global stability right. Combined with us pulling out of Paris it seems like the post-war order is imploding in a matter of months :ohdear:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Jesus Christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Boon posted:

Remember that report a little bit ago that Trump had gone underwater with veterans and service members? This exact issue is the thing that drives that. Many/most veterans have spent time interacting with locals overseas and have done so with much more tact and reverence for differences than the loving President has. Moreover, most have seen good and bad leadership.

This stands out.
Doesn't really matter because they'll just go back to supporting the next Republican as if Trump never happened, they won't overwhelmingly become Democrats.

• Locked thread