Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

the yeti posted:

I find myself disliking the new Anova's controls so much that I basically use it app-only anyway :shrug: Might be the only one but that might be something to consider

I've become very frustrated with how they dumed down the app. Before the latest updated (1 month ago?) You could select a temp and set a timer and go. Now you basically have to select a recipe then when its done it beeps incessantly and you can just let it set at the current temp. Idk maybe I didn't look hard enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

The dumbest limitation is that your WiFi password can't have spaces. Come on guys, it's 2017.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

sterster posted:

I've become very frustrated with how they dumed down the app. Before the latest updated (1 month ago?) You could select a temp and set a timer and go. Now you basically have to select a recipe then when its done it beeps incessantly and you can just let it set at the current temp. Idk maybe I didn't look hard enough.

That doesn't work anymore? Aw poo poo.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

Feenix posted:

Sincere question: what's to dislike? Roll and tap. I've found it so basic I don't ever even think about it...

Same here. I haven't used the app but the one time I got it (Bluetooth version). I like mine a lot.

Now that peaches are in season, I'm going to do an elderflower poached peach brulee I've been eyeing for a while. Anyone have any good peach involved recipes?

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
I'm cooking this pork roast and cannot find any temperatures or times for this cut.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

I think it is either part of a loin, and you'd want to do it at 135-140 for 2-4 hrs, or its part of a shoulder and you should do it like pulled pork.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

It's a collar butt.
Do it like a butt.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I do those butt cuts at 140 for 3 to 4 hours and then sear it off. I've always been happy with the results.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Hopper posted:

That doesn't work anymore? Aw poo poo.

I lied. I was drunk when I was trying to do it and drunk when I posted that. So sorry if I freaked you out. Although I still hate how it beeps and beeps and beeps when it's done. Maybe I'm not ready for you to stop. Just hold temp please!

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

sterster posted:

I lied. I was drunk when I was trying to do it and drunk when I posted that. So sorry if I freaked you out. Although I still hate how it beeps and beeps and beeps when it's done. Maybe I'm not ready for you to stop. Just hold temp please!

Yeah used it to make the salmon rice bowl today and checked but it seem to refer there used to be a version. Where you would push a button to start the timer in the app, now it just starts counting as soon as temp is reached o matter whether you put the bag in or not.

Also that salmon recipe is baller, I used 4 cups ice water 1/4 coarse sea salt flakes and burned for 45 minutes.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Hopper posted:

This sounds amazing, can you elaborate on the brine? I never did that before, what exactly do you use in terms of water/salt ratio etc.?

Just douse the whole filet with a lot of salt. Check out chef steps or even serious eats on a dry salt brine. It makes a world of difference.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Feenix posted:

Yeah, I'd fuckin eat this... please do a proper write up. :)

Oh man I will with pics next time I make it.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

5436 posted:

Just douse the whole filet with a lot of salt. Check out chef steps or even serious eats on a dry salt brine. It makes a world of difference.

Is this $40 charge for ChefSteps a one-time fee or a monthly subscription? The first I might do, the second is ridiculous.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
One time fee at the moment.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

One time fee at the moment.

Made some pork ribs and forgot to take before picture so here is a during with lovely lighting and a cellphone quality. 15hrs at 165 and 2 hours on the grill-smoker. Turned out alright with uncle stubbs spicy bbq.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Feenix posted:

Sincere question: what's to dislike? Roll and tap. I've found it so basic I don't ever even think about it...

The spin wheel isn't that bad as a thing, I mostly wish it incremented the counter for each click instead of every other/several clicks, and it bugs me that you can set it by half degrees with the spin wheel but by 10ths on the app.

What I find really irritating is that the timer's hidden behind a long press such that you switch the display from *C to *F every time you set it. Hiding a function that's potentially used every cook behind one that's rarely if ever needed is annoying and bizarre.

sterster posted:

I've been avoiding updating the app but that doesn't surprise me tbh, it's is extremely lackluster too.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
The nova app really does get worse with every update. Kinda like as if they reverse developed it...

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

How long for flat iron steak? I've seen instructions ranging from 1-24 hours online. Would probably do at 131.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
I don't ever use the app, I just set a timer on my iPhone. I'm not a big IoT fan.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
some sort of big Anova announcement coming tomorrow- https://anovaculinary.com/coming-soon

the teaser video is frustratingly vague- unclear if this is just another iteration or a new device.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
First Sous Vide attempt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGwiYcSDN5c

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Veritek83 posted:

some sort of big Anova announcement coming tomorrow- https://anovaculinary.com/coming-soon

the teaser video is frustratingly vague- unclear if this is just another iteration or a new device.

It's the Anova Nano, a unoriginally named and slightly smaller Anova.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Would they announce something that was already announced in January?

I mean, maybe that's what it is but that would be kinda weak if they're not announcing something new.

I'm guessing the Precision Cooker is being EOL'ed

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 6, 2017

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I know brisket was discussed here a while back but I can't see it looking a few pages back. Is the seriouseats recipe all right to follow?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

I know brisket was discussed here a while back but I can't see it looking a few pages back. Is the seriouseats recipe all right to follow?

It's okay but I would use literally like 1/4-1/3 of the salt he calls for and then maybe add a little to taste if absolutely necessary.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Has anyone used SV to "vape" alcohol? The "vaportini" seemed like a fun party toy, and some sources say the target temperature of that device is around 140°F.

I just tried it with Whiskey, and it seemed okay, if ineffectual. 1.5 oz in a Ball jar puddled at 145°F for 15 minutes. Crack the lid and inhale, then quickly replace the cap. Took (and held in for a few seconds each) about 15 breaths in a row, then another ~20 over 20 minutes of doing dinner dishes before it stopped "tasting" alcoholic.

My impressions:

• Claim: gets you drunk faster since it absorbs directly into blood vessels. Verdict: not even close, for my dosage. I wouldn't expect full drunk after 1.5 oz, but I didn't really feel any effects at all, and I normally get dancy-singy after 1 drink.
  • Claim: less harsh tasting. Verdict: yes, as long as you inhale through your mouth and not your nose!
  • Claim: almost no calories! Verdict: Not so fast. Definitely fewer than mixed drinks, beer or wine, since this doesn't deliver carbs. But alcohol in the blood can be metabolized by cells, so it carries calories. this article says you'll save some calories compared to a liquid shot, but it doesn't give figures.

Bottom line: give it a try as a party trick or if you want to spice up your weekday alcoholism. Please chime in if you've ever done this, especially if you went beyond 1.5 oz or were able to feel a buzz. Anyone try it in the microwave?

Do not, as one article suggested, expect the non-vaped liquid to taste like a slightly bland, slightly sweet version of what you vaped if your liquor was barrel aged. Tannins remain behind and thus are concentrated and taste like poo poo.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
goddamn dude if you really want an alcohol enema take it to fetlife

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
https://youtu.be/tUxOdFJEDdg

Why would you even think that would work?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

BrianBoitano posted:

Has anyone used SV to "vape" alcohol? The "vaportini" seemed like a fun party toy, and some sources say the target temperature of that device is around 140°F.

I just tried it with Whiskey, and it seemed okay, if ineffectual. 1.5 oz in a Ball jar puddled at 145°F for 15 minutes. Crack the lid and inhale, then quickly replace the cap. Took (and held in for a few seconds each) about 15 breaths in a row, then another ~20 over 20 minutes of doing dinner dishes before it stopped "tasting" alcoholic.

My impressions:

• Claim: gets you drunk faster since it absorbs directly into blood vessels. Verdict: not even close, for my dosage. I wouldn't expect full drunk after 1.5 oz, but I didn't really feel any effects at all, and I normally get dancy-singy after 1 drink.
  • Claim: less harsh tasting. Verdict: yes, as long as you inhale through your mouth and not your nose!
  • Claim: almost no calories! Verdict: Not so fast. Definitely fewer than mixed drinks, beer or wine, since this doesn't deliver carbs. But alcohol in the blood can be metabolized by cells, so it carries calories. this article says you'll save some calories compared to a liquid shot, but it doesn't give figures.

Bottom line: give it a try as a party trick or if you want to spice up your weekday alcoholism. Please chime in if you've ever done this, especially if you went beyond 1.5 oz or were able to feel a buzz. Anyone try it in the microwave?

Do not, as one article suggested, expect the non-vaped liquid to taste like a slightly bland, slightly sweet version of what you vaped if your liquor was barrel aged. Tannins remain behind and thus are concentrated and taste like poo poo.

my impressions :

• oh god is he serious
  • wait he used
    • code:
      [list]
  • gently caress he also used proper grammar and punctuation and
    code:
    [b]
  • this dude is hosed in the head
  • christ help us all

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Once I get the method perfected I will gain access to Gotham Police Department's HVAC and I'll show you. I'll show you all!

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BrianBoitano posted:

This is interesting if a bit extreme. Ethanol boils off around 170+F though, so try higher heat.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
Isn't the point of drinking alcohol to taste and enjoy it?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Spoken like someone who's not an alcoholic

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Glottis posted:

It's the Anova Nano, a unoriginally named and slightly smaller Anova.

But on pre-sale for $69, which does not suck.
https://anovaculinary.com/nano-store/?anovanerd=yesplease

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ulmont posted:

Do they have a page with the specs on this?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Do they have a page with the specs on this?

It's only $40 less than the big boy and the big boy ships now, not four months from now.

My first instinct was "oh I could use a second IC to do two things at once" but I'd probably just buy a full sized Anova for $109.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

ulmont posted:

Hmm, tempting price. What're the downsides of going with the nano vs. a full size device?

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Hmm, tempting price. What're the downsides of going with the nano vs. a full size device?

It's hard to tell without specific specs, but my guess is that the maximum recommended volume will be lower due to a less effective circulation pump and possibly weaker heating element.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Here's a URL with better spec info.

1.4 lbs, 4.1” D x 3.1” W x 12.8” H
max recommended bath size is 3 gallons
fits pots as shallow as 5"
700W heating power

I like that they got the size down to within 2" of the Joule in terms of height and diameter while still keeping the controls on the device, and it also looks like they improved the control interface vs. the precision cooker (at least I'm assuming they did because there are more buttons now). Also it sounds like their pimping some upcoming app improvements too (controlling multiple anovas at once, multi-stage cooks), which aren't really tied to this device in particular (I don't think?) but sound pretty nice nonetheless.

But, no magnetic base still sucks and the performance on this one is well below the Joule, so while I know it's not really an apples to apples comparison, if I were a person who was very concerned about having a smaller cooker first and foremost, I would still shell out the extra money for a Joule. Ideally Chefsteps will release a pared down version of the Joule to more directly compete with the Nano. I would definitely hop on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
It's positioned to compete against the cheap Chinese knockoffs like the Gourmia and Monoprice.

3 gallon capacity means you're limited to one of these:

instead of one of these:

(Although really, capacity on any immersion circulator is elastic. You might be able to stretch it if you have very good insulation and are using lower temps.)