Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Haha no poo poo

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/06/05/june-nexuspixel-factory-images-ota-files-now-available-download-includes-fix-pixel-freezing/

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/phone-by-google/5Aw4Ui0nJKw/84L2a6TKAgAJ

This is the freezing problem I was having, but they've already shipped my warranty replacement a couple days ago. Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Have they ever even seen a bunny before?

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Trip report after owning the Moto G5+ for one week: it's really snappy and feels like it should cost MUCH more than $240 unlocked. The screen is slightly desaturated and reds in particular are pretty weak and muddy. I'm getting concerned about bugs though: yesterday the battery gauge got stuck at 60% and wouldn't update until I restarted the phone. Today, I took it out of my pocket and saw that it was in some weird "Safe Mode". My last phone (1st gen Moto X) never had any weird bugs like this. Hoping it doesn't get worse with time because, as I mentioned, it's only been one week!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I saw that and came here specifically to tell you.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Lowen SoDium posted:

Have they ever even seen a bunny before?

Bunnies are beavers now. Sorry you didn't get the memo.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Polo-Rican posted:

Trip report after owning the Moto G5+ for one week: it's really snappy and feels like it should cost MUCH more than $240 unlocked. The screen is slightly desaturated and reds in particular are pretty weak and muddy. I'm getting concerned about bugs though: yesterday the battery gauge got stuck at 60% and wouldn't update until I restarted the phone. Today, I took it out of my pocket and saw that it was in some weird "Safe Mode". My last phone (1st gen Moto X) never had any weird bugs like this. Hoping it doesn't get worse with time because, as I mentioned, it's only been one week!

This post starts much differently than it ends.
"This phone is great, worth MUCH more than $240. The screen is lovely, the battery gauge doesn't work, and it randomly goes into a weird 'Safe Mode'."

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

I saw that and came here specifically to tell you.

Man, if I had opened my case just 2 days later I would have hit this patch news, or I might not have had to open a case at all. I'm really surprised their support reps didn't have inside scoop on this, the guy jumped to replacing my phone very very fast.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

RZA Encryption posted:

This post starts much differently than it ends.
"This phone is great, worth MUCH more than $240. The screen is lovely, the battery gauge doesn't work, and it randomly goes into a weird 'Safe Mode'."

Especially since the last few years of Moto phones, save for the horrendous/sporadic security updates, generally worked extremely well. I had 4 Motorola devices in 3 years and they all worked great. The Moto X Pure had one of the nicest (if not best)LCD displays of any phone released the same year.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Polo-Rican posted:

My Nexus 5X's app redrawing and general sluggishness have been annoying me lately. Battery life isn't what it used to be either. It's getting very tempting to spend a few bux on one of these.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Anyone know how to delete a draft in the stock messenging app? A friend was attacked by a goose and so I went to send him Danger Zone and it got saved as a draft and long story short anytime I go to send anyone a message now there's a youtube link to Kenny Loggins.

e: Figured it out

angerbot fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 6, 2017

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Blue Train posted:

For those with the ad-supported g5 and a little bit of technical inclination, here are some instructions to remove the lockscreen ads

https://www.reddit.com/r/MotoG/comments/6e1cc4/moto_g_amazon_edition_remove_app_that_displays/
The ads didn't really bother me, but sure, I'll spend 30 seconds to get rid of them. Thanks.

Polo-Rican posted:

Hopefully those are just isolated flukes, I've not had either issue on mine. If it happens again, I'd maybe look into getting a replacement because that sounds like potential hardware issues.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

angerbeet posted:

Anyone know how to delete a draft in the stock messenging app? A friend was attacked by a goose and so I went to send him Danger Zone and it got saved as a draft and long story short anytime I go to send anyone a message now there's a youtube link to Kenny Loggins.

e: Figured it out

That's not a bug, that's a feature.

Barnes And Body Works
Mar 2, 2016

:shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom:
:chillout:
I got the lg g6 for free as part of my plan as they had no other phones shipped in, and i dont know if its the phone or android 7.0, for some reason my notifications will completely turn off at some point in the day and i have to reboot my phone to get any audio notifications again, this includes calls, anyone able to help with this?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

If you are not accidentally turning on do not disturb mode (there will be an icon in the top right by where the alarm and wifi icons are) you need to return it because it is broken and LG is bad

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
One week into Pixel ownership:
* This is a really, really nice phone, everything is so smooth and whenever I think "gee, it would be nice if Google built X into the phone" it seems to be there already.
* I got the 32GB, and sometimes wish I would have coughed up for the 128GB, but on the other hand it forced me to clean up all the podcasts I had downloaded and would probably not listen to.
* That being said, the Moto G4 Play has some magic battery life poo poo going on.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
Is there a phone out there that's pretty much the Moto X first generation but better? I've been holding out for the past 3 years but it's starting to feel its limits. Most important in order would be small size, at least the same battery life, and active display.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Crampy Grampaw posted:

Is there a phone out there that's pretty much the Moto X first generation but better? I've been holding out for the past 3 years but it's starting to feel its limits. Most important in order would be small size, at least the same battery life, and active display.

The Pixel isn't that much bigger. Otherwise the only people making phones similar in size would be Sony's Xperia Compact line.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
First confirmed image of the OnePlus 5 has been released:

I'm looking forward to reading r/android when they announce the price for this thing.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Incessant Excess posted:

I'm looking forward to reading r/android when they announce the price for this thing.

If it doesn't have at least 16gb of ram then NO SALE.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Incessant Excess posted:

Not from this distance, your honor.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Really want someone to release a flagship with a totally beefy camera like the Nokia 9 was supposed to have. All I want is some that will browse the web fastish and take the best pics possible that isnt windows phone. Theres no way to put android on say the nokia 1520 right?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Incessant Excess posted:

That's an iPhone. Isn't it? Am I Crazy? That's an iPhone, right? With a power button instead of silence thing?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Really want someone to release a flagship with a totally beefy camera like the Nokia 9 was supposed to have. All I want is some that will browse the web fastish and take the best pics possible that isnt windows phone. Theres no way to put android on say the nokia 1520 right?
Camera quality and optical zoom are the next big thingtm

There are a lot of camera focused (heh) smartphones already in production though. In no particular order you can look at the G6, Pixel, Mate 9, iPhone 7, Galaxy S8, V20

The Pixel in particular has an astonishingly good camera.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

jokes posted:

That's an iPhone. Isn't it? Am I Crazy? That's an iPhone, right? With a power button instead of silence thing?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Yeah that's a Pixel.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

LastInLine posted:

Yeah that's a Pixel.

Yeah.

I'm fairly certain that the Pixel would likely beat that Nokia for image quality. It has a larger sensor with larger pixels and a faster lens.

The Pixel is no compromises when it comes to a smartphone camera. They really don't get better.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
I was hoping for a step up from 13mp really. Like when the lumia came out with 40mp but not a bad phone like that. Read somewhere the next nokia could have a big number like that. Can you really make up for the same resolution sensor with whatever, better materials/image processing?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Surprise Giraffe posted:

I was hoping for a step up from 13mp really. Like when the lumia came out with 40mp but not a bad phone like that. Read somewhere the next nokia could have a big number like that. Can you really make up for the same resolution sensor with whatever, better materials/image processing?

So what you're looking for is a larger number printed on the box?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Surprise Giraffe posted:

MP don't really mean much. If camera quality is that important to you, consider a quality compact camera. Bonus: they cost less than a phone!

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Better optics, bigger sensors, and better post processing do a whole hell of a lot more for image quality than pixel count once you get past, oh, 6 or 8 MP or so. (at least for phone sized cameras) After that, all MOAR MEGAPIXELS is getting you is worse low light performance and bigger files.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Surprise Giraffe posted:

This has precisely nothing to do with photo quality.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Hey, dunno if anyone's mentioned it yet, but megapixel count doesn't correspond to image quality, just a friendly heads up.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Everybody knows image quality is not determined by how many pixels it has, but how large those pixels are.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

My dad got a Nexus 5X through Fi a while back, and it got replaced this week by Google for boot looping. Does anyone know what the warranty is on replacements, or is there a website to check based on serial number?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

You should sell it now because it's going to happen again

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

Nalin posted:

Everybody knows image quality is not determined by how many pixels it has, but how large those pixels are.

Sarcasm is hard over The Internet but yes, basically the largest determining factor in image quality is the size of the pixels on the image sensor. AnandTech had a detailed article on this a few years ago, but it's still relevant (although we've gotten better at making somewhat smaller photosites perform better over time, size remains king). This is assuming somewhat equal optics and image processing, of course.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

MarsellusWallace posted:

Sarcasm is hard over The Internet but yes, basically the largest determining factor in image quality is the size of the pixels on the image sensor. AnandTech had a detailed article on this a few years ago, but it's still relevant (although we've gotten better at making somewhat smaller photosites perform better over time, size remains king). This is assuming somewhat equal optics and image processing, of course.

This is why I carry a view camera, bellows, full set of lenses, heavy duty tripod and a RRS Arca-swiss ballhead system with me everywhere. Smartphone cameras, pfft.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

MarsellusWallace posted:

This is assuming somewhat equal optics and image processing, of course.

That's a big assumption, particularly optics. And then you've got a lot of cases these days where they take photos at twice the save resolution and use the extra detail to improve.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

RZA Encryption posted:

If it doesn't have at least 16gb of ram then NO SALE.

More RAM than storage or bust! As long as they keep the ~SD card slot~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
It turns out I did not fix the Kenny Loggins issue so any help would be appreciated