Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

In Training posted:

I run past 90% of the enemies

Beasts all over the shop...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
bloodborne is the only From game in which i run past zero enemies

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
its also the best one, that im the best at, with the most fun combat, having said all this i do tend to beeline for switches and doors in chalice dungeons.

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

bloodborne is the only From game in which i run past zero enemies

yeah the combat is so fast paced and good it feels really satisfying to bounce from one enemy to the next and slice em all up as fast as possible

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
dark souls: you defeated. you managed to defeat something big and strong that should have killed you

bloodborne: prey slaughtered. you slaughtered your prey

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

me: haha i just realized this cool thing the devs did to organically teach the player a valuable lesson

yall: actually im REALLY good at this game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've never killed that guy because that always seemed like a weirdly placed shortcut

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
If you've engaged with the area between grand cathedral and the first lamp in hemwick for more than 30 seconds you're a stronger person than me

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

I've never killed that guy because that always seemed like a weirdly placed shortcut

he doesn't aggro if you go for the shortcut, you need to get in his face. the whole point is that he's completely optional

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

If you've engaged with the area between grand cathedral and the first lamp in hemwick for more than 30 seconds you're a stronger person than me

it's fun. you've got to kill everything, but keep moving so they can't snipe you.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

extremebuff posted:

me: haha i just realized this cool thing the devs did to organically teach the player a valuable lesson

yall: actually im REALLY good at this game

i think youll find that it was rich evans who realized it for you

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i've stopped leveling my current guy at 30 for the time being, and it's making the lower hintercombs actually challenging instead of a boring slog. looking forward to fighting the final boss of that chalice series at a lower level.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
maybe i will find the boss rush chalice...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

sector_corrector posted:

lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

once you get a feel for how the dungeons flow every chalice is a boss rush chalice

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Chill Penguin posted:

Last night I beat Father Casciglione or however it's spelled,

ayyyy i'm fuckin swingin an axe over here

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

sector_corrector posted:

Never Be Game Over

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Father Gabagool

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

2house2fly posted:

Father Gabagool

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i just grabbed the whirligig saw, and it's really fun. i love the R1 transformed combo.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
also, it's a shame that forgotten madman is buried under 4 previous levels of hintercomb chalice, because it's an insanely fun boss-fight at 30.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
it's a shame that any content that's unique to the chalices is unique to the chalices tbh

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i say meekly "there are some cool setpieces and encounters"

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

theres a lot of cool unique enemies in the chalices too. like the greasy fatmen that roll around erratically and try to body slam you

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

i hope you find it

:razorback2:...in a defiled chalice :razorback:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

today I learned that you can break chests in bloodborne. supposedly it doesn't break the contents

I learned a new thing about a game I've beaten probably 15 times

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
It is all thanks to rolling.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

Isn't that where you get the first blood gem in the game?

he can drop one, usually its 0.7 phys up or something, pretty useless .. and you dont get the tool until after gascgoine anyway. the 3-4 vials are a nicer drop

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

GulagDolls posted:

you have to fight and kill everything

agreed

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
one mystery i've never solved: sometimes chalice dungeons have messengers up in the rafters of rooms. like you can look up sometimes and see messages left up in the roots at the very top of a hallway, that you could never conceivably get to without some sort of exploit. but i've never seen how people manage to do that.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

SciFiDownBeat posted:

today I learned that you can break chests in bloodborne. supposedly it doesn't break the contents

I learned a new thing about a game I've beaten probably 15 times

I had to do that once when a chalice dungeon positioned a chest in a way I couldn't open it. It only ever happened once, but I'm glad I tried that as a last resort and it worked.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

one mystery i've never solved: sometimes chalice dungeons have messengers up in the rafters of rooms. like you can look up sometimes and see messages left up in the roots at the very top of a hallway, that you could never conceivably get to without some sort of exploit. but i've never seen how people manage to do that.

try attacking

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

If you keep an eye out, you'll see messengers next to unlit lanterns on the floor next to a wall. They can be easy to overlook. Sometimes, hitting the wall they're next to/surround will reveal a trick wall with a hidden passage. If you see a walkway above you when you first enter the main hallway of a dungeon level, then you can get to it if you find the secret passage. Usually they end in a room with a messenger fountain.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

hail satan

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
no, that's not what i mean. you can see an example here at about 15 seconds in (probably not too visible on mobile):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg7MBZjzmOE

like someone has gotten into the rafters of a room (well the top branches of one of the tree) and left a message up there

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

is that the second or third level of the dungeon? my guess is that maybe its just messages left on the previous floor clipping through the ceiling

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Oh, weird. Yeah, that's gotta be a glitch or something. I'd like to know how they did it, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

GulagDolls posted:

is that the second or third level of the dungeon? my guess is that maybe its just messages left on the previous floor clipping through the ceiling

Remember that they use wacky loading tricks too, like how the dark firelink in ds3 carried over all of the messages from the regular shrine. You might be seeing stuff loaded in from other places