Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Did GW ever do anything with those two "lost" legions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Thundercloud posted:

And the two lost legions.

Dark Imperium has a timejump of 112 years and starts at the end of the Indomitus Crusade. In that time Guilliman is able to survive without his armour, the biglys are distributed to the existing chapters, you find out that the biglys were taken from aspirants of the 9 loyalist legions during the Scouring at Guillimans order, so they have also woken up 10,000 years after their childhood, and Guilliman is getting really frustrated with the High Lords etc and their desire to hold on to their power.

Guilliman is promoting good people he can find into power where he can, and is facing resistance from an entrenched bureaucracy.

If(when) the imperium splits who are the highlords going to rally behind that people are going to be willing to follow over Guilliman anyway?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Fil5000 posted:

No, they were deliberately left ambiguous so people could fill the gaps with DIY Legions. But then nerds gotta nerd and every Q&A they have to reiterate that fact, whilst even considering doing a DIY Legion will invoke terrible and whiny grog rage in Warham circles.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Fil5000 posted:

Its heavily implied that they were slaughtered by the wolves at the emperors command much like the thousand sons almost were I think?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Artum posted:

If(when) the imperium splits who are the highlords going to rally behind that people are going to be willing to follow over Guilliman anyway?

A clone of Goge Vandire.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Fil5000 posted:

A clone of Goge Vandire.

Mecha-Vandire like hitler at the end of wolfenstein?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Artum posted:

Its heavily implied that they were slaughtered by the wolves at the emperors command much like the thousand sons almost were I think?

Yeah, when the Burning of Prospero happens, Russ implies it's not the first time the Space Wolves have wiped out a legion, and that it's basically the Space Wolves' job to kill other legions.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Artum posted:

Mecha-Vandire like hitler at the end of wolfenstein?

More like Nixon's head in a jar like Futurama :lol:

Artum posted:

Hmmm, the emperor never actually commanded the space wolves to kill the thousand sons though, so dunno about all that.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Yeah, when the Burning of Prospero happens, Russ implies it's not the first time the Space Wolves have wiped out a legion, and that it's basically the Space Wolves' job to kill other legions.

It's also implied elsewhere that the Ultramarines got a huge boost in numbers around that time, suggesting they picked up the scraps/noviates

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Check out the numbers on the skulls flanking Malcador's throne here:

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Thundercloud posted:

And the two lost legions.

Dark Imperium has a timejump of 112 years and starts at the end of the Indomitus Crusade. In that time Guilliman is able to survive without his armour, the biglys are distributed to the existing chapters, you find out that the biglys were taken from aspirants of the 9 loyalist legions during the Scouring at Guillimans order, so they have also woken up 10,000 years after their childhood, and Guilliman is getting really frustrated with the High Lords etc and their desire to hold on to their power.

Guilliman is promoting good people he can find into power where he can, and is facing resistance from an entrenched bureaucracy.

Cool but what happened to the HPG relays

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Zaphod42 posted:

Hmmm, the emperor never actually commanded the space wolves to kill the thousand sons though, so dunno about all that.

The wolves were still the go to legion for dealing with perceived renegades and he didn't make much of a fuss when it came to killing them all, so it may not have been Russ' first rodeo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

JBP posted:

The wolves were still the go to legion for dealing with perceived renegades and he didn't make much of a fuss when it came to killing them all, so it may not have been Russ' first rodeo.

Fair point

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Artum posted:

Some sort of uber establishment Hillary Clinton figure.

'Guilliman wants to end the chaos threat, but will that end the prejudice against blanks?'

Or some sort of similar bullshit.

Though what happens if the Khan comes back and sees things as really going to poo poo and wants to purge the Ecclesiarchy completely?

I did like Dark Imperium. Guy Haley is no ADB but he developed Guilliman well as a character. I do see plenty of references to the Master of Mankind and Imperium Secundus in it as well.

It also becomes clear Cawl is going full Tek Heretic and is petitioning Guilliman regularly to become fabricator general. He's trying to combine Eldar, Necron and Imperial tech to make new warp pylons, which to be fair there seem to have been human versions created during the Dark Age of technology. So expect a Martian Schism as well.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Pretty sure Russ, Vulkan and Khan are going to have mondo loving issues with this imperium and that Khan and Russ will be very much on the "apply bolt shells to the heads of anyone at the top" train.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Thundercloud posted:

Some sort of uber establishment Hillary Clinton figure.

'Guilliman wants to end the chaos threat, but will that end the prejudice against blanks?'

Or some sort of similar bullshit.

Though what happens if the Khan comes back and sees things as really going to poo poo and wants to purge the Ecclesiarchy completely?

I did like Dark Imperium. Guy Haley is no ADB but he developed Guilliman well as a character. I do see plenty of references to the Master of Mankind and Imperium Secundus in it as well.

It also becomes clear Cawl is going full Tek Heretic and is petitioning Guilliman regularly to become fabricator general. He's trying to combine Eldar, Necron and Imperial tech to make new warp pylons, which to be fair there seem to have been human versions created during the Dark Age of technology. So expect a Martian Schism as well.

Martian schism is kind of necessary for one side in an imperial schism not immediately collapsing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

JBP posted:

Pretty sure Russ, Vulkan and Khan are going to have mondo loving issues with this imperium and that Khan and Russ will be very much on the "apply bolt shells to the heads of anyone at the top" train.

Give me an Imperial Civil War please

Then the xenos will stand a chance for awhile :cthulhu: :orks:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

JBP posted:

I always took that as more that Russ don't give a gently caress and if the guy he's sworn to follow says to murder the poo poo out of another Legion, he's going to go do it as long as he still thinks well of him.

JBP posted:

Yeah, Vulkan will probably be down as well as soon as he gets a good look at the Inquisition's habit of murdering whole planets because someone higher in the Ecclesiarchy got in a snit over someone else's summer house there being nicer than his, or basically anything the Grey Knights do involving the Sororitas.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jun 7, 2017

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Curious if and how they'll bring Sanguinius/Dorn back since those are my two favourite primarchs and they're both supposed to be capital-d Dead.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Corrode posted:

Curious if and how they'll bring Sanguinius/Dorn back since those are my two favourite primarchs and they're both supposed to be capital-d Dead.

I thought Dorn was missing presumed dead (also we have his hand)?

Sanguinus will be a really tricky one given that his death is tied into the flaws in the Blood Angels' geneseed.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Thundercloud posted:

Is there a less Hazard Stripey scheme for Iron Warriors (or 'Warriors of Iron') around?

Don't break Uncle Pert's heart. He is just really concerned about the safety of his sons. :(

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Fil5000 posted:

Sanguinus will be a really tricky one given that his death is tied into the flaws in the Blood Angels' geneseed.

Dorn changed I think? Originally the Fists had his whole skeleton and now they just have his hand. So maybe he can come back with some sick bionics.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Corrode posted:

Dorns less dead than the other dead ones since they only found his hand.

Sanguinius will have his soul put in a golden necrodermis body by the necrons next door since the BAngels are on good terms with them.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I think that with the new primaris marine stuff, Games Workshop needs to be very careful with diluting their intellectual property, because space marines are pretty much the first thing anyone thinks of when they think about 40k

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

Nah that's not stopping anything. If anything that's likely a reason he'll return. Have the entire blood angels chapter, every single marine, every successor chapter, the entire legion fall to the black thirst. They all become mindless berserkers. Then Sanguinius shows up and cures them all of their madness forever.

The other thing is they've had a faux Sanguinius showing up from time to time to kick rear end. Actually I think there's 2 different types of fake or wannabe Sanguiniuses? poo poo I can't keep all the blood angels fiction straight.

Super fun twist: Sanguinius comes back as a Khorne Daemon

goose willis posted:

I think that with the new primaris marine stuff, Games Workshop needs to be very careful with diluting their intellectual property, because space marines are pretty much the first thing anyone thinks of when they think about 40k

What?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
If you just keep making NEW, BIGGER, STRONGER versions of space marines people are gonna gradually lose interest in them

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

goose willis posted:

Once the remaining units are released the "Primaris" designation will be dropped.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

goose willis posted:

If you just keep making NEW, BIGGER, STRONGER versions of space marines people are gonna gradually lose interest in them

They've basically been doing that since Rogue Trader and it seems to be working ok for them. Every codex release since RT has added bigger, tougher, better equipped marines of one variety or another. It's basically their business model.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

my kinda ape posted:

I'm so mad about how bad the Deathstrike is. And it's equally bad against everything! For 163 points you get to kill 5.3 grots or take 5.3 wounds off of a knight. What a loving rancid pile of poo poo. You're going to do about the same amount of wounds (albeit with armor saves) with the stock heavy bolter over the course of the game! And you have to roll an 8+ on a d6+turn to even be able to fire the loving thing. gently caress you whoever wrote this poo poo, you loving suck at your job.

Good. GW never should have put an ICBM into a tabletop game. In a game of stupid, oversized units waging war on a battlefield roughly the size of the parking lot at your local 7/11, the Deathstrike was probably the most idiotic addition.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

berzerkmonkey posted:

Good. GW never should have put an ICBM into a tabletop game. In a game of stupid, oversized units waging war on a battlefield roughly the size of the parking lot at your local 7/11, the Deathstrike was probably the most idiotic addition.

It was pretty funny when it first came in. I can't think of a reason you'd really have taken one in 5th or 6th, because having something that only has a random chance to fire that can be disrupted by someone spitting on it was a pretty bad waste of points and a heavy slot. I'm sure it was funny if it went off though.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

berzerkmonkey posted:

It is a cute little ICBM though. :3:

I won't lie, it was my favorite Guard unit, outside of the Hellhound.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

my kinda ape posted:

I'm so mad about how bad the Deathstrike is. And it's equally bad against everything! For 163 points you get to kill 5.3 grots or take 5.3 wounds off of a knight. What a loving rancid pile of poo poo. You're going to do about the same amount of wounds (albeit with armor saves) with the stock heavy bolter over the course of the game! And you have to roll an 8+ on a d6+turn to even be able to fire the loving thing. gently caress you whoever wrote this poo poo, you loving suck at your job.

To be fair, there are a couple of options to improve it. Using a command point reroll on the 3D6 roll can bump up the damage a bit, as can a Master of Ordnance. Also don't forget that it can hit units within 6" of the target. If you pick something with a big footprint like a big Boyz mod or Stompa, it could be doing a bunch more damage.

But I agree it's a bad example of GW slipping back into the habit of "more random = more balance lol". For a one-use weapon that has sit around jacking off for several turns before the climax, it should be a bit more reliable.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Fil5000 posted:

It was pretty funny when it first came in. I can't think of a reason you'd really have taken one in 5th or 6th, because having something that only has a random chance to fire that can be disrupted by someone spitting on it was a pretty bad waste of points and a heavy slot. I'm sure it was funny if it went off though.

Yeah the Deathstrike was outshone by being in the same kit as the Manticore which was a far better option, but hell if it wasn't funny to aim the Deathstrike at a table on the other side of the room.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

A one shot WMD doesn't really seem to fit the design of 8th at all. Its ts role is much more suited as a CP expenditure off-board artillery strike.

That said, "keep all the toys" was clearly a design goal to appease nerds. Look at how pissy people got over the handful of things that didn't make the cut...

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I think the Deathstrike would be better if, instead of a LOL RANDOM roll, the player had to secretly write down a target and a turn (greater than 2). Then on that turn the missile fired at the target.

Or better yet that the launcher was instead considered an objective for mission purposes. If the missile was fired it's no longer an objective.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Or better yet that the launcher was instead considered an objective for mission purposes. If the missile was fired it's no longer an objective.
That would have been a worthwhile idea.

As an aside, it's a dumb model in Epic as well - it's a pinpoint strike weapon for no good reason, so rather than a big boom, I can target an Ork mob with it and only wind up killing a single stand of Grots.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I got to see more of the Primarus Marines this weekend and they look really good. I actually like the Gravis armor guy when I originally didn't like him in the picture. (He looks bent funny in the pic, but that's just because the armor is really bulged out) Gravis helm is also very interesting as it looks like a combination of MKIV and a Terminator helmet.

As for Sanguinius coming back, one of the theories (Even in the fluff) is that the Sanguinor has something to do with Sanguinius.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Fil5000 posted:

Isn't Ferrus Mannus a confirmed kill of Fulgrim's?

Man that guy keeps getting robbed of his Ws

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

TheChirurgeon posted:

Isn't Ferrus Mannus a confirmed kill of Fulgrim's?

Man that guy keeps getting robbed of his Ws

Canon decapitated him and the first Primarch kill IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
neat. Also, FW is going to do Blood Ravens rules

http://natfka.blogspot.com/2017/06/blood-ravens-will-get-forgeworld-rules.html

• Locked thread