Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

KillHour posted:

Chase Sapphire Reserve. The Alaskan lounge is one of the better ones at LAX anyways.

In other news, I survived the 11 hour flight to Germany. Now to fly to EWR then BUF. I'll be home in 18 more hours. :suicide:

What do people do about jerks that kick the back of your seat? This douche wouldn't stop the whole way no matter how many times I turned around and shot daggers at him.

Ask him to stop kicking the back of your seat, don't just stare at him. And if he persists, call a FA to be moved.

Also the AS lounge is pretty terrible and definitely not worth the trek from UA unless you have a lot of time. It is however, one of a few Priority Pass lounges at LAX at all, which is also why it's quite crowded with pretty basic amenities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I did ask him and so did the flight attendant. It was a full flight. Then when we landed, someone else literally shoved me out of the aisle to tie his shoes and wouldn't let me back in when he was done.

I've never noticed the AS lounge being crowded, but then again I always get stupid itineraries. I guess it was less out of he way when you had to go around all the construction anyways. Literally anything is better than a domestic UA lounge though.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jun 3, 2017

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
I am about to spend more time waiting for a gate at my arrival city than I did flying in the air. Looking like 3 hours total. Ugh

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Why is EDI such a chaos pit this early in the morning? It's a pretty small airport but everything is just so disorganized.

In other BA updates, my friend got a two year (!) Sapphire status extension for the trouble we had last week. Meanwhile, my other companion did not get his luggage back at all and had to expense a bunch of new clothes to BA.

Anyhow, hopefully we make it to NBO without too much more trouble.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

i fly airplanes posted:

This loving retarded as hell terminal that AA for some reason keeps changing names. At first it was "Gate 44" then "Gate 52" now it's "Gate 60" all the meanwhile operating out of TBIT, T4, T5 and T6 but no longer T6. GOD I HATE AA AT LAX and their entire lounge has been a construction zone for a year and is not even close to being done. I just don't even bother anymore and just walk straight to TBIT if I have a layover over an hour.

I voluntarily took an Eagles Nest routing for my trip to Houston next week. It's dumb that AA doesn't fly mainline jets from the Los Angeles area to Houston Texas.

It still sounded better than connecting in phx, dfw, etc

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

i fly airplanes posted:

You guys realize 99% of the world does not make 200k+ right. I don't want to be all #firstworldproblems but the state department guys are getting posted to bumfuckville Africa for a year with a fraction of the pay of consultants

state department contractor in bumfuckville Africa checking in

Dumb question: I finally hit Silver with FlyingBlue (and probably Gold on my next R&R). Does the status bump help with getting free or discounted upgrades on KLM/AF? I typically book fully-flexible tickets (class Y or M) on KLM.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
No

e: forgot the discount on economy comfort at gold

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KillHour posted:

Literally anything is better than a domestic UA lounge though.

I'm sitting in the Newark UA club and I'm going to reaffirm this. Overcrowded, cubed cheese, plastic forks. Who the hell is paying $500/year for this crap?

Edit: The. Beer. Costs. Extra. :psypop:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 3, 2017

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

KillHour posted:

I'm sitting in the Newark UA club and I'm going to reaffirm this. Overcrowded, cubed cheese, plastic forks. Who the hell is paying $500/year for this crap?

Edit: The. Beer. Costs. Extra. :psypop:

I paid $600 (expenses, of course) united club in January. I've bitched enough about it in this thread alone. Much worse than the admirals club I had last year (and will again next year). It was such a disappointment.

In better news, I'm on track for plat pro on AA by Aug 1st and exec plat by December or earlier. Unfortunately, I qualify on segments though and I had 8 flights this past week alone. I feel like I live in airports now.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

curried lamb of God posted:

state department contractor in bumfuckville Africa checking in

Dumb question: I finally hit Silver with FlyingBlue (and probably Gold on my next R&R). Does the status bump help with getting free or discounted upgrades on KLM/AF? I typically book fully-flexible tickets (class Y or M) on KLM.

If you are booking fully-flexible tickets on KLM, you should try consider switching to Delta and joining Delta's program. Fully-flexible tickets are usually very expensive and you'd earn far more miles on a revenue-based program. Delta can typically book the same KLM flights and upgrade them so there's no practical difference. The plus is that you can also get upgrades on domestic flights in the US.

Flying Blue miles are better but you earn much less of them for the spend. Long-haul upgrades for international flights are rarely ever free, but you can use miles.

Dreadite
Dec 31, 2004

College Slice
I love the delicate song and dance of having just enough coffee before your 6am flight so you can nurse a few turds free but still pass out for a few hours afterwards.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

What a great lifestyle

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

KillHour posted:

Chase Sapphire Reserve. The Alaskan lounge is one of the better ones at LAX anyways.

In other news, I survived the 11 hour flight to Germany. Now to fly to EWR then BUF. I'll be home in 18 more hours. :suicide:

What do people do about jerks that kick the back of your seat? This douche wouldn't stop the whole way no matter how many times I turned around and shot daggers at him.

"Hey can you please stop kicking the back of my seat"

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Dreadite posted:

I love the delicate song and dance of having just enough coffee before your 6am flight so you can nurse a few turds free but still pass out for a few hours afterwards.

Lmao the struggle is real

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Taking a dump on an airplane is simply a non-starter for me in nearly all lavs (I'm 6'5").

As a result, I've committed some heinous acts in the bathrooms of my Beijing hotel rooms upon arrival.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I only poo poo in airplanes when I'm desperate. Though the First Class lavatories on Emirates and Qatar are wonders to behold. You could have an orgy in there.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Is it poor form to book a Premier Lyft (instead of a base Lyft) when you are visiting a client? I will expense this trip from my office to the airport to them afterwards.

The price difference is like $40 vs $95 from here to LAX. I think a taxi would run about $75.

Mandalay fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 5, 2017

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Some of the cities that haven't reached Uber/Lyft maturity I'd do it or rent a car.

The next driver the asks me to navigate through the city they live in gets zero stars.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I'm flying American in to Nashville tomorrow. Getting to Nashville out of Miami seems to be an issue direct flights seem to be pretty rare and everything connects through CLT. My return though is direct which is nice on Thursday night so I can't complain about that. I am driving to buttfuck Fayetteville Tennessee for a medical facility. Does anyone have any experience with butt gently caress Fayetteville Tennessee? It is apparently so remote I cannot use an SPG property and instead staying in a Hampton Inn :-(

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Mandalay posted:

Is it poor form to book a Premier Lyft (instead of a base Lyft) when you are visiting a client? I will expense this trip from my office to the airport to them afterwards.

The price difference is like $40 vs $95 from here to LAX. I think a taxi would run about $75.

It depends. It would probably show up on the receipt, and I try to save the company money when possible. But if there's a problem with base in a particular situation then I'd do it.

I try to act like it's my company, but make sure I don't suffer needlessly on the road.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Mandalay posted:

Just say that you are really tired and a regular Lyft was hard to find.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Hopefully nobody's flying Qatar Airways for the next little while :D

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

i fly airplanes posted:

Hopefully nobody's flying Qatar Airways for the next little while :D

I dunno that there's much to :D about here. Most of their workforce is immigrant-based and they fly in 90% of their food from Saudi Arabia. poo poo is not going to be well there in short order.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mackieman posted:

I dunno that there's much to :D about here. Most of their workforce is immigrant-based and they fly in 90% of their food from Saudi Arabia. poo poo is not going to be well there in short order.

Spec Ops: The Line sequel lookin good.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
My 2 o'clock delayed until 3.30. My CLT-> Nashville delayed from 8 to 930 *sigh* gotta drive an hour when I land.

This loving weather man

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
LAX T5 is pretty nice. I'm glad AA moved in. The bus situation to eagles nest was annoying but the operation is running efficiently given the constraints. I walked down to the bus gate to find a bus waiting, and a bus behind that ready to go as well. The Admirals Club in the remote terminal is small but with comfy chairs, and the food was probably better than domestic F. Breakfast pound cake, hot oatmeal, fresh fruit, bagels. Oh, and AA upgraded me to F and assigned me a solo seat in their 1-2 across configured E75. Aisle and window seat, why not both? At IAH, I landed to an overcrowded restroom, but quickly remembered I could use the Admirals Club just 20 feet away. This one was recently opened just a month ago, and the people here are actually friendly. New fixtures, a pleasing bathroom with Toto toilets, comfy seats basically the opposite of an EWR United Club. Downstairs, I wasn't sure how to get to my hotel since Lyft wouldn't give me a price estimate. But as soon as I requested, someone took the ride, and he showed up the second I walked outside the terminal. Upon checking into the Hilton I was upgraded to an Exec room due to a totally unearned status match from two years ago from the IHG Credit Card-granted status.

I am posting this to be the opposite of Waroduce

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Mackieman posted:

I am very :D about a crappy abusive country getting the short end of the stick. The entire region can go to hell in a handbasket for all I care

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Mandalay posted:

LAX T5 is pretty nice. I'm glad AA moved in. The bus situation to eagles nest was annoying but the operation is running efficiently given the constraints. I walked down to the bus gate to find a bus waiting, and a bus behind that ready to go as well. The Admirals Club in the remote terminal is small but with comfy chairs, and the food was probably better than domestic F. Breakfast pound cake, hot oatmeal, fresh fruit, bagels. Oh, and AA upgraded me to F and assigned me a solo seat in their 1-2 across configured E75. Aisle and window seat, why not both? At IAH, I landed to an overcrowded restroom, but quickly remembered I could use the Admirals Club just 20 feet away. This one was recently opened just a month ago, and the people here are actually friendly. New fixtures, a pleasing bathroom with Toto toilets, comfy seats basically the opposite of an EWR United Club. Downstairs, I wasn't sure how to get to my hotel since Lyft wouldn't give me a price estimate. But as soon as I requested, someone took the ride, and he showed up the second I walked outside the terminal. Upon checking into the Hilton I was upgraded to an Exec room due to a totally unearned status match from two years ago from the IHG Credit Card-granted status.

Yea Delta put a ton of money into T5 and it shows. Meanwhile I'm now sitting in lovely old T3 where the sky club only has pre-packed food, chips, and instant ramen.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mandalay posted:

I hate you and I don't know why.

In other news, I'm bitching about my travel situation loud enough to get heard. I was asked to determine how much I've been home since mid March (the last time I've had a week without travel). The answer is 240 hours.

They gave me a $100 gift certificate to dinner as "a token of appreciation." :suicide:

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

KillHour posted:

I keep meaning to do this and switch to a backpack so I have room.

Any recommendations for a backpack <$200?

You'll probably end up somewhere that sells this soon but this is my bag
http://www.startts.co.jp/store/products/detail.php?product_id=258

It is robust and really easy to clean.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Delayed 2.5 hours sitting in Charlotte eating at the burger bar in Terminal C. Still need to land in Nashville and drive an hour to my hotel. Lord Jesus take me now.

This after being delayed 2 hours in FTL.

Apparently American as a company is running about 2hrs behind today. We've been waiting for a crew for about an hour....they are walking through customs.

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
Mentally retardation is such a strong word.
Bad weather in Miami means my LAX flight was delayed taking off by 4 hours. Which meant a misconduct in MIA and now I get a day less in San Juan.

On top of that, I used the wrong card when booking flights and didn't have travel insurance to put the hotel on :<

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Waroduce posted:

Delayed 2.5 hours sitting in Charlotte eating at the burger bar in Terminal C. Still need to land in Nashville and drive an hour to my hotel. Lord Jesus take me now.

Apparently American as a company is running about 2hrs behind today. We've been waiting for a crew for about an hour....they are walking through customs.

Once, just once, I'd like to fly international into Charlotte and not get bottlenecked at customs. The excuse I've gotten for over a year is the baggage handling equipment keeps breaking down.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Waroduce posted:

SuperSpiff posted:

Bad weather in Miami means my LAX flight was delayed taking off by 4 hours. Which meant a misconduct in MIA and now I get a day less in San Juan.

Yeah it was stormy here a lot of the day yesterday. Don't have a summer flight to or from Florida in the late morning, afternoon, or early evening if you don't want to deal with weather delays.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

I haven't gone on travel in a month and I'm getting antsy. What is wrong with me?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

KillHour posted:

I hate you and I don't know why.

In other news, I'm bitching about my travel situation loud enough to get heard. I was asked to determine how much I've been home since mid March (the last time I've had a week without travel). The answer is 240 hours.

They gave me a $100 gift certificate to dinner as "a token of appreciation." :suicide:

jesus christ man

kimcicle posted:

I haven't gone on travel in a month and I'm getting antsy. What is wrong with me?

for me it's about six working days

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

There are two children wandering about the aisle not being policed by their parents in first on my flight. Sigh.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

My last flight into Jordan had 5 kids doing that. No one said anything to the father, who was snoring loudly. Still less chaotic than the airport.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I figure this is a decent place to ask: anyone have recommendations for places to get tailored shirts online?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
My flight into miami has been delayed two hours motherfucker

All this god drat weather son of a bitch