Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

divabot posted:

We joke about MIRI "cultists", but the "chief architect" of Arbital has just made that rather less amusing.

Woah

Are we sure this is the same Eric Bruylant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Woah

I'm not sure involvement in MIRI had anything to do with this attack.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

divabot posted:

We joke about MIRI "cultists", but the "chief architect" of Arbital has just made that rather less amusing.

None of us were joking? Seriously, MIRI is cultish, CFAR is a cult, and the Rationality movement as a whole is infested with the kinds of people who in any other circumstance would be avoided.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Woah

How many 24 year old Eric Bruylants does Berkeley have? I'm betting on one. I'm having trouble confirming but it does seem hard to believe it's another guy.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

SolTerrasa posted:

How many 24 year old Eric Bruylants does Berkeley have? I'm betting on one. I'm having trouble confirming but it does seem hard to believe it's another guy.

It's hit Rationalist Tumblr. In a post about the Dragon Army cult compound plan, jbeshir noted, after Scott posted there was probably nothing to worry about and you guys are so mean:

jbeshir posted:

This seems true, but on the topic of correct priors, I would note that the reason the related Accelerator Project to create a rationalist intentional living community is now defunct is because the main person behind it had a mental breakdown, ran off to an AirBNB for a couple of days, then nearly choked a woman to death in a parking lot before stealing and crashing their car, and is currently in jail with no bail on charges of attempted murder.

We are not a community where people who seem calm and nice but are personal unknowns can be assumed to have excellent judgement of what is and what is not appropriate to ask of others, I think. We have mental illness at quite high rates. Duncan seems like a perfectly nice guy and I think the odds are very low of a similar kind of breakdown and fairly low of them just getting ideas about experimenting with how much to ask of people that go too far, but people involved should probably have an exit route.

For moderate abuse itself, I know quite a few people who have had experiences of it who are adjacent to the community. It doesn’t require someone going nearly as wrong as a terrorist does, or someone to be a monster. It just requires a person with poor boundaries being in a relationship (romantic or organisational) with a person with poor self-control in the wrong circumstances, neither having learnt coping strategies (sometimes “don’t get into close relationships with people with poor boundaries”) to avoid issues, and something becoming normal that shouldn’t have become so.

I think the odds of that happening in this community are not especially high, and we’re a group with enough self-awareness that many people have the coping strategies they need, but they’re high enough that we should have healthy structures that will prevent it persisting uncorrected, and much much higher than those of e.g. terrorism or a random person off the Internet turning out to be intentionally planning on hurting you.

It's a hot topic on Rationalist Tumblr right now. Of course, some have already worked out how to blame those darn SJWs!!

divabot has a new favorite as of 08:17 on Jun 6, 2017

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

divabot posted:

It's hit Rationalist Tumblr. In a post about the Dragon Army cult compound plan, jbeshir noted, after Scott posted there was probably nothing to worry about and you guys are so mean:

It's a hot topic on Rationalist Tumblr right now. Of course, some have already worked out how to blame those darn SJWs!!

Scott made a shocking claim in there in passing, that men are abused at about the same rate as women, but women are just big scaredy pants ("socialized to fear abuse"). Can anyone figure out how you'd justify or source that claim? It sounds like obvious bullshit, and I hoped that Scott was above that.

SolTerrasa has a new favorite as of 09:29 on Jun 6, 2017

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
lmao, missed this before, one of st_rev's friends:

https://twitter.com/Asherahresearch/status/868530109241753600
https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/868530326418595840
https://twitter.com/Asherahresearch/status/868530946957611008
https://twitter.com/Asherahresearch/status/868540460737933314

lmao

https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/871497533918396419
https://twitter.com/puellavulnerata/status/871194951085957120

Fututor Magnus has a new favorite as of 12:34 on Jun 6, 2017

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

So let's ignore for a moment the fact that the whole "transfuse blood from young people" thing doesn't work, is based entirely on a misinterpretation and deliberate misrepresentation of study results and exists solely to extract money from rich idiots, what are you saying you weird lady :psyduck:

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

SolTerrasa posted:

Scott made a shocking claim in there in passing, that men are abused at about the same rate as women, but women are just big scaredy pants ("socialized to fear abuse"). Can anyone figure out how you'd justify or source that claim? It sounds like obvious bullshit, and I hoped that Scott was above that.

it depends mostly on a very special definition of abuse. for example, "status signalling against low-status males" by feminists or something counts as the worst form of abuse to scott.

ate all the Oreos posted:

So let's ignore for a moment the fact that the whole "transfuse blood from young people" thing doesn't work, is based entirely on a misinterpretation and deliberate misrepresentation of study results and exists solely to extract money from rich idiots, what are you saying you weird lady :psyduck:

"making fun of billionaire vampires is actually the left being tribal and mean, just like conservatives when they go on about abortion. these are totally comparable things surely because tribalism and they're both tribes, or something."

Fututor Magnus has a new favorite as of 13:43 on Jun 6, 2017

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

SolTerrasa posted:

I don't think he's saying women being scaredy pants is part of the statistics, just that it plays a part of the paranoia he's talking about. He's still wrong because even though the numbers are close, when it comes to serious injury and death it goes back to being not very surprising at all that women are hurt a lot more often than men.

Anyway, even if Scott is wrong about the objective facts, I think you will find he was just talking about his perception from within his high-trust tribe where people are actually very good and negligibly abusive --- maybe things are different in the other filthy tribes where the minorities and paranoid people and abusers are.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
I'm friendly with the diaspora, but that's mostly possible because I just stop reading anything where I see the word "tribe" or "tribal" (also "status" without further qualifications.) It's an eerily useful heuristic.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Fututor Magnus posted:

it depends mostly on a very special definition of abuse. for example, "status signalling against low-status males" by feminists or something counts as the worst form of abuse to scott.

Only when women do it. When any given PUA, free speech activist, or Nydwracist do it he transparently doesn't care.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Basically, if you're proposing we're all going to be immortal and have unlimited resources, you should do the second part first, because otherwise the immortal people are going to use too many resources and the immortality isn't going to be fairly distributed. Eventually you'll see committed Leftists launching attacks on the immortals for what to this woman are incomprehensible reasons. She's kind of right, in that the people who are most likely to benefit from longer lives are the people who are likeliest to sell us all out in return for a chance at immortality and that'll need to be dealt with, but it's so far down the road that it's going to be a problem for our grandkids to solve.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Relevant Tangent posted:

Basically, if you're proposing we're all going to be immortal and have unlimited resources, you should do the second part first, because otherwise the immortal people are going to use too many resources and the immortality isn't going to be fairly distributed. Eventually you'll see committed Leftists launching attacks on the immortals for what to this woman are incomprehensible reasons. She's kind of right, in that the people who are most likely to benefit from longer lives are the people who are likeliest to sell us all out in return for a chance at immortality and that'll need to be dealt with, but it's so far down the road that it's going to be a problem for our grandkids to solve.

Good thing we're all going to die and our grandchildren will be too busy dealing with ecological disaster.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

:same: Hopefully they'll do a better job at dealing with the perpetrators than we are.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Relevant Tangent posted:

if you click over to the comment she's quoting, you'll see she clearly didn't put that much thought in this statement. it's basically an assertion that the left hates peter thiel for tribalist reasonings and that criticism of blood transfusions for immortality from the left is tribalism.

it's the defenders of peter thiel who resort to incomprehensible arguments for the most part, like accusations of tribalism or status-signaling because no matter how rich and powerful thiel is, he is still a low-status male and any criticism of him is status-signalling by evil sjws and gawker, or something.

e: also,lmao

https://twitter.com/etatom/status/870910323720675328

the youth literally selling their blood to the ultra-rich is a form of wealth-transfer. this is what you get when in the discourse welfare is a big evil - unless it's racist bloggers who're benefitting by not having to do actual work and can browse wikipedia on the government dole.

Fututor Magnus has a new favorite as of 17:41 on Jun 6, 2017

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Fututor Magnus posted:

if you click over to the comment she's quoting, you'll see she clearly didn't put that much thought in this statement. it's basically an assertion that the left hates peter thiel for tribalist reasonings and that criticism of blood transfusions for immortality from the left is tribalism.

it's the defenders of peter thiel who resort to incomprehensible arguments for the most part, like accusations of tribalism or status-signaling because no matter how rich and powerful thiel is, he is still a low-status male and any criticism of him is status-signalling by evil sjws and gawker, or something.

e: also,lmao

https://twitter.com/etatom/status/870910323720675328

the youth literally selling their blood to the ultra-rich is a form of wealth-transfer. this is what you get when in the discourse welfare is a big evil - unless it's racist bloggers who're benefitting by not having to do actual work and can browse wikipedia on the government dole.

Oh, no, it's fuckier than that though.

He's buying it from loving blood donation charities, who traditionally sell to hospitals to recoup expenses for collecting the blood.

That's right, the blood you donate to help save an innocent life is instead being used by loving Thiel, for his pseudoscience quackery for millionaires.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ikanreed posted:

Oh, no, it's fuckier than that though.

He's buying it from loving blood donation charities, who traditionally sell to hospitals to recoup expenses for collecting the blood.

That's right, the blood you donate to help save an innocent life is instead being used by loving Thiel, for his pseudoscience quackery for millionaires.

yeah, but the first link is on a start-up which takes blood from teenagers for the express purpose of selling it on to rich people for $8000 a pop, which arguably is a lot better in pr terms than the situation you described. though there's still no evidence whatsoever to conclude that it'll do anything for anti-aging.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Fututor Magnus posted:

yeah, but the first link is on a start-up which takes blood from teenagers for the express purpose of selling it on to rich people for $8000 a pop, which arguably is a lot better in pr terms than the situation you described. though there's still no evidence whatsoever to conclude that it'll do anything for anti-aging.

$8K for a session of blood donation is pretty loving amazing tbh, this is a method of scamming the rich I can get behind

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

$8K for a session of blood donation is pretty loving amazing tbh, this is a method of scamming the rich I can get behind

as a scammy start-up concept, it's pretty funny, but as an avenue of wealth-transfer from rich old people to poor teenagers, it's even funnier (to think about it as such, not so much in reality)

though it's pretty funny how much these rationalists and technolibertarians like thiel (as much as you can like thiel, anyway) and see the need to defend him to the point of defending his blood transfusions

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

SolTerrasa posted:

I know I've read that boys are sexually abused at about the same rate as girls, which is shockingly high, but I can't cite a source.

I would say the meaning of that fact isn't "women aren't tough enough," but rather "the patriarchy really does hurt men too, and one of the ways it does so is by making them ashamed to admit they were victims or to report their abuse."

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Do stakes through the heart kill elderly millionaires?

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Cumslut1895 posted:

Do stakes through the heart kill elderly millionaires?

pretty much everyone, really

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

You could do this as a fraudulent procedure so easily. Get a phlebotomist to be your accomplice and you could stage it without any blood actually going anywhere.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Neon Noodle posted:

You could do this as a fraudulent procedure so easily. Get a phlebotomist to be your accomplice and you could stage it without any blood actually going anywhere.

Blood goes out one arm, into some very fancy-looking (but hollowed-out) machinery with lots of blinky LED's that looks like it probably does some Important Science Thing, then right back into the other arm

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Brb getting a black turtleneck and getting ready to pitch HemaTality Inc.

Skittle Prickle
Oct 28, 2005

The best-tasting pickle I ever heard!

divabot posted:

There seems to be a belief that t is completely impossible for someone in their club to act in abusive ways because they know what abuse is. It's good that they care about abuse, but i'm somewhat skeptical when the worst abuser I know was for a long time the head of the local less wrong group where I live (a major city).

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Fututor Magnus posted:

There's plenty of evidence for it causing stuff like aneurysms

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900
A special flashback, in honor of divabot's good writeup of MetaMed: Scott Alexander went hard for MetaMed.

quote:

...[I] occasionally just listen in on meetings, and it has been so much fun to listen to people who have this ethos that difficult medical questions should be solveable, who don’t make stupid mistakes or take shortcuts trying to solve them...

A couple of weeks ago we had our first journal club. It was an attempt to evaluate the efficacy of antioxidants and multivitamins against cardiovascular disease and cancer. We got a bunch of contradictory studies, threw them all together, and started generating hypotheses... (also, in the course of the discussion, “buy antioxidant supplements” went on and off my to do list several times...

...Zvi, Alyssa, Vassar, Sarah, et al seem to have even more ambitious – some would say wildly ambitious – plans for it which I don’t know much about except that I can think of much worse groups of people to be setting the future direction of the health care industry.

It's just astonishing considering that he actually finished medical school—he of all people should've appreciated how hard medicine actually is. Scott is a man of many, many contradictions.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Curvature of Earth posted:

A special flashback, in honor of divabot's good writeup of MetaMed: Scott Alexander went hard for MetaMed.

It's just astonishing considering that he actually finished medical school—he of all people should've appreciated how hard medicine actually is. Scott is a man of many, many contradictions.

I mean he works in psychiatry despite clearly believing it's all bullshit aside from prescribing meds.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I like that to him "generating hypotheses" is apparently "pick out the parts of studies that I like"

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

I mean, look at Ben Carson.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Skittle Prickle posted:

There seems to be a belief that t is completely impossible for someone in their club to act in abusive ways because they know what abuse is. It's good that they care about abuse, but i'm somewhat skeptical when the worst abuser I know was for a long time the head of the local less wrong group where I live (a major city).

Obviously you're a mindkilled blue tribe SJW sneer clubber who is misapplying heuristics and

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

very fancy-looking (but hollowed-out) machinery with lots of blinky LED's that looks like it probably does some Important Science Thing,

The technical term for that is a BLU, stands for Blinking Lights Unit.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Avenging_Mikon posted:

The technical term for that is a BLU, stands for Blinking Lights Unit.

Yeah I was gonna go with "blinkenlights" but I figured only me and like 2 other dorks would get it :v:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Yeah I was gonna go with "blinkenlights" but I figured only me and like 2 other dorks would get it :v:

You do realize where you're posting, right?

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
You also need a machine that goes "ping!"

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I often think about contemporary rationalist subculture in context of historical attempts to tear down all the bullshit and rebuild on the basis of sound reason. There's been multiple and they've all failed, but the one that's been on my mind is Descartes. He famously attempted to doubt everything and rebuild up only what he could be absolutely certain of, but while he was doing this he explicitly adopted a principle that he would manage his day to day life as if he was still confident in everyday truths like 'matter exists' and 'I need food to live'. They're good heuristics to avoid disasters even if we can't be philosophically certain of them and must interrogate them in their turn on the quest for truth.

You know what's also a good heuristic for daily life, that protects against a disaster? 'Exclude the far right from your communities.'

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/jdanver123/status/800211055234281472

e: https://twitter.com/jdanver123/status/872393228409950209

Fututor Magnus has a new favorite as of 03:56 on Jun 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

"According to this spreadsheet that I pulled out of my rear end, actually racism is good! See, says it right there!"

Also I know it's pointless to say but that is not what marxism means you idiot :argh:

e: Also also how the hell does the US or the EU have a one-party state ruled by people of color :psyboom:

Shame Boy has a new favorite as of 03:58 on Jun 8, 2017