Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Diva Cupcake posted:

They should but they dont save any money by cutting him.

I mean, if you're going to tank anyway, then you might as well see what you have in your practice squad running backs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
*Belichick's ears perk up and he has no idea why*

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

fsif posted:

I mean, if you're going to tank anyway, then you might as well see what you have in your practice squad running backs.

There is a point where if you just have too little talent you can't really evaluate your young players, so they might as well let Forte pad his career stats while throwing 150 passes to Quincy Enunwa and.... oh man, I forgot the Jets started the draft going safety, safety.

At least ArDarius Stewart will get a lot of practice returning kickoffs?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Kalli posted:

There is a point where if you just have too little talent you can't really evaluate your young players, so they might as well let Forte pad his career stats while throwing 150 passes to Quincy Enunwa and.... oh man, I forgot the Jets started the draft going safety, safety.

At least ArDarius Stewart will get a lot of practice returning kickoffs?
Their young WRs are actually pretty exciting. Enunwa was better than Brandon Marshall last year. Robby Anderson and the 2 kids they drafted early, Stewart and Hansen could be fun.

fsif posted:

I'm ok with this too.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I don't doubt that there are many teams out there who would never sign him now because the owners or FOs don't want any part of him for protesting. But I just can't believe *ALL* 32 teams are colluding to keep a viable NFL starting QB unemployed.

I mean, why would the Seahawks bring him in for a visit and spend all this time talking about him and supposedly considering him if they were just going to blackball him? Appearances? That would involve some serious fifth dimensional conspiracy planning. Or you'd have to think that someone in the NFL called up Seattle after his visit and told them not to sign him, and I have a hard time believing anyone in Seattle would kowtow like that to the NFL over such a critical position. Maybe I'm being naive.

It doesn't have to be ALL 32 teams colluding to effectively blackball him. Just the teams that are looking for QB's. I don't find it at all hard to believe those owners are afraid to sign Kap when you have the Giant's owner saying the following in an interview:

quote:

However, Kaepernick's decision to kneel during the national anthem in 2016 has made him persona non grata in some organizations. New York Giants owner John Mara told Jenny Vrentas of The MMQB that his team never considered Kaepernick because of potential public backlash.

"All my years being in the league, I never received more emotional mail from people than I did about that issue," Mara said. "If any of your players ever do that, we are never coming to another Giants game. It wasn't one or two letters. It was a lot. It's an emotional, emotional issue for a lot of people, more so than any other issue I've run into."

Granted that is New York, but when an owner is willing to say that in an interview, I don't have any trouble believing that they all think the same way, or are under enough pressure that they fall in line.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I mean, why would the Seahawks bring him in for a visit and spend all this time talking about him and supposedly considering him if they were just going to blackball him? Appearances? That would involve some serious fifth dimensional conspiracy planning.
Or a coach inviting Colin and a GM/Owner later telling the coach "you can't sign him"

idk it's not much different from black coaches being flown out to sham interviews. by inviting Colin and not signing him they can say "look we tried" while ultimately still blackballing him

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Kelvin Benjamin for Decker straight up.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Quest For Glory II posted:

Or a coach inviting Colin and a GM/Owner later telling the coach "you can't sign him"

idk it's not much different from black coaches being flown out to sham interviews. by inviting Colin and not signing him they can say "look we tried" while ultimately still blackballing him

https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/872194066212978688

warcrimes fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 7, 2017

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Oh yeah we still have to trade Sheldon Richardson for 50c on the dollar.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Diva Cupcake posted:

I'm paying $3500 this year for my Jets season tickets. :toot:

Can you write that off as a charitable deduction?

Nov 6, 2002

MrSargent posted:

Granted that is New York, but when an owner is willing to say that in an interview, I don't have any trouble believing that they all think the same way, or are under enough pressure that they fall in line.

I guess I don't think it's enough of a toxic issue for the NFL that all the owners are just going to fall in line. They didn't when it was colluding in an uncapped year. They certainly haven't fallen in line about domestic violence.

Quest For Glory II posted:

It's pretty different. Those coaches are brought in because there is a specific rule requiring interviewing minority candidate. There's nothing that compelled the Seahawks to bring in Kaepernick other than genuine interest. Did Paul Allen pull the plug? Maybe. If he did, I don't think it's because the NFL compelled him too. I don't think anyone really tells Paul Allen what to do.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

The Jets, um

https://twitter.com/aroundthenfl/status/872242155443503104

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I feel like the Jets don't know what they're doing :mamacita:

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

quote:

However, Kaepernick's decision to kneel during the national anthem in 2016 has made him persona non grata in some organizations. New York Giants owner John Mara told Jenny Vrentas of The MMQB that his team never considered Kaepernick because of potential public backlash.

"All my years being in the league, I never received more emotional mail from people than I did about that issue," Mara said. "If any of your players ever do that, we are never coming to another Giants game. It wasn't one or two letters. It was a lot. It's an emotional, emotional issue for a lot of people, more so than any other issue I've run into."

Reminder the Giants wouldn't cut their kicker after he chased his wife around the pro bowl beating her nor after the sheriff had a press conference to confirm what happened and that the Giants organization tried to get him to cover it up.

I'm surprised they didn't trade up in the 2nd since they value kicking so much.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the league needs to stop sending good rear end WR free agents to baltimore

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

It's pretty different. Those coaches are brought in because there is a specific rule requiring interviewing minority candidate. There's nothing that compelled the Seahawks to bring in Kaepernick other than genuine interest. Did Paul Allen pull the plug? Maybe. If he did, I don't think it's because the NFL compelled him too. I don't think anyone really tells Paul Allen what to do.

Uhh I remember Washington and Dallas both getting retroactively hosed by the NFL for their spending in the "uncapped" year.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Kaep and Wilson would have been amazing in the MULTIBALL universe

Nov 6, 2002

Yeah, but what position? He probably throws better than Hack.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

fsif posted:

None of these late rear end releases make sense, but this is such a barren time of the year for NFL news that I welcome Free Agency Part II and hope it becomes an annual event.

June 1st cuts for cap space have been a thing for a while.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

SHOAH NUFF posted:

This is true about Poe, but I feel like you are kinda inventing it in Maclin's case, every report says he has looked great in OTAs this season, and the Bills signed him within hours of the KC release

Jaye Howard was a good DL, there's a reason RBs started getting 5-6 YPC every snap against KC after he got hurt last season
The problem with Maclin is he's likely going to miss some time (missed time last year, limped through the end of the playoffs before that) and Alex will be the same passer with or without Jeremy Maclin.

He was absolutely going to be a cut next year, so I can't blame Dorsey for just saying gently caress it and just doing it now.

Also, runners were getting 5 a clip against the D all year long. Teams were stupid and started passing on them for who knows why :shobon:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MrLogan posted:

June 1st cuts for cap space have been a thing for a while.

Usually guys like Maclin or Decker are cut early and designated as June cuts though so they can get into free agency before everyone who's spending spends their money. Each team gets to do that with a couple of guys every year, those guys plus David Harris are bigger names than you'd expect to see cut in June in most years I'd think.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I hope this actually happens so that Smith can beat the living poo poo out of Hack for being worthless

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

I want to see him gently caress Joe Mixon to death.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

is this a new badass workout

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

lol

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Looks like my grandmother's house.

Minus the large black man holding the large rifle.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Check out this take guys...

https://twitter.com/Andy_Benoit/status/872272546414051328

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Well, I guess if there was any doubt which team would be worst in the league, the Jets have cleared that up. Looking forward to 2018 and the first overall pick, hopefully along with a new coach & GM.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/Andy_Benoit/status/872273848565022720

well i'm sold

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

He is really bringing the heat :effort:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

fsif posted:

None of these late rear end releases make sense, but this is such a barren time of the year for NFL news that I welcome Free Agency Part II and hope it becomes an annual event.

It does if you remember that June 1st is the point where cap hits for cuts and trades drop off. If you cut them before June 1st, the cap hit is larger than cutting them after. Some teams know they are going to cut, but want to see if they can get a trade and if nothing comes through its cut time. I think there are more surprises this year, because they typically announce ahead of time that a player will be cut on June 1st.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

I knew Williams was a Raven WR at heart.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

A generous reading of this is that they are trying to change the culture in the building.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/matthewfairburn/status/872445974442102784

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Marshawn had his first press conference and it loving ruled.

https://youtu.be/4wfm8d0FO4Q

Nov 6, 2002

mcmagic posted:

A generous reading of this is that they are trying to change the culture in the building.

Adding a guy who would punch a teammate in the face should change things.

Wait a sec...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Adding a guy who would punch a teammate in the face should change things.

Wait a sec...

They were a soft, gutless team last year as I'm sure you know. I'm fine with some people getting punched in the face.

https://vine.co/v/5FQH9FO3nIY/embed/simple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

You know, the Bills just let this one guy walk who might be a fit.

• Locked thread