Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

Bring back the Third Republic. That lasted a fairly long time by French standards, & was lots of fun to boot.

Yeah but it was bastion of degenerate secular liberalism that put the French nation into a century-long decline, right? I've got my Gaullist-fascist narrative straight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Ah, the good old days of a Communist Party at 30%

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ElNarez posted:

As any good neoliberal, Macron has a giganto-boner for the institutions of the state

Except those that are related to the state actually serving a purpose.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
My 6th Republic:
Smash the nation-state, rebuild the state.

THE
END

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
The state is dead, long live the state.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

ElNarez posted:

As any good neoliberal, Macron has a giganto-boner for the institutions of the state, if not for the state itself. He completely lacks the imagination to abuse his power for his own benefit.

Yeah, so, about that...

https://twitter.com/lemondefr/status/872400557885009920

In short: Macron is preparing a bill to make almost all the special power given to the police by the state of emergency a part of ordinary law. House arrests, searching premises, shutting down places of worship, and so on. All at the behest of the minister of the interior or a police prefect, no judges involved at any point. What could possibly go wrong?

In conclusion:

Flowers For Algeria posted:

I just want to die

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Kassad posted:

Yeah, so, about that...

In short: Macron is preparing a bill to make almost all the special power given to the police by the state of emergency a part of ordinary law. House arrests, searching premises, shutting down places of worship, and so on. All at the behest of the minister of the interior or a police prefect, no judges involved at any point. What could possibly go wrong?

In conclusion:

Long live the Great Liberal Saviour of Europe.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Kassad posted:

Hit a neoliberal and a fascist bleeds.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
:thunk:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
he wants so hard to be neoliberal napoleon lmoa

BobMorane
Oct 25, 2010

Kassad posted:

Yeah, so, about that...

In conclusion:

Welp, the Wise Old Men of the Conseil Constitutionnel will hopefully bury this poo poo.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

BobMorane posted:

Welp, the Wise Old Men of the Conseil Constitutionnel will hopefully bury this poo poo.

I don't dare hope so, out of the superstitious fear that if I do, it won't happen.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

Except those that are related to the state actually serving a purpose.

I mean, yeah. He wants to look Regal and Responsible, but also he wants corporations to be able to cull the poor to use as fuel. He wants to do it in the Right and Legal way, however.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Isnt the long term affect of a society becomnt deswnsitized to terrorism hitler?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

LeoMarr posted:

Isnt the long term affect of a society becomnt deswnsitized to terrorism hitler?

I think you're going to have to develop this argument a little bit. :raise:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

The Belgian posted:

Time for a sixth republic. This one was getting stale anyways.
Le troisième Empire français*

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

The Brussels' bubble has such a loving hardon for Macron it's embarrassing.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
If Italy's situation in the polls holds, there'll be a completely unworkable hung parliament, right? Or is there a chance for some wonky M5S-Lega thing happening?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

jBrereton posted:

Le troisième Empire français*
*Technically the fourth one so he can dodge the third reich thing (Charlemagne, Napoleon and Napoleon III).

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Toplowtech posted:

*Technically the fourth one so he can dodge the third reich thing (Charlemagne, Napoleon and Napoleon III).

Please don't associate the one true emperor Charlemagne with the French.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

The Belgian posted:

Please don't associate the one true emperor Charlemagne with the French.

What the hell is this post.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

What the hell is this post.

Charlemagne was born in either what is today Belgium or Germany but definitely NOT FRANCE.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

The Belgian posted:

Charlemagne was born in either what is today Belgium or Germany but definitely NOT FRANCE.

We're gonna have to fight now.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

The Belgian posted:

both were part of france at some point, so it counts

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

Louis XIV logic - we'll definitely have to fight you on this now.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

You are a bad, bad person.

Napoleon is to blame for the dissolution of the Holy Roman Empire and therefore the worst.

Charlemagne: Restores the glory of the Roman Empire
Napoleon: Destroys the Roman Empire

The Belgian fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 7, 2017

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

The Belgian posted:

Excuse me, Salic Franks are very clearly Dutch. Belgium is just an invention of the British. 100% agree on not-France, but the devil is in the details.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Hambilderberglar posted:

Excuse me, Salic Franks are very clearly Dutch. Belgium is just an invention of the British. 100% agree on not-France, but the devil is in the details.

The British do have poor political ideas so this checks out.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Obligatory Karl der Große Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvKRbi2ovDY

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013

Hambilderberglar posted:

Well, we certainly know where modern day Franconia is, and indeed it is not in France.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franconia

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Dommolus Magnus posted:

Well, we certainly know where modern day Franconia is, and indeed it is not in France.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franconia
Charlemagne's urheimat is and forever will be the low countries, the attempt at stolen valor from a bunch of saxons with an identity crisis notwithstanding.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

The Belgian posted:

Napoleon is to blame for the dissolution of the Holy Roman Empire and therefore the worst.

The King of Rome!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napoleon_II

The Emperor wrestled away the decadent remains of past Roman Glory from German false princes and became Rome Incarnate

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The Belgian posted:

It was more of a mercy kill.

Seriously, that thing calling itself a "holy roman empire"? It was just embarrassing for everyone.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Yeah when they stopped being catholic they stopped being holy anyways

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Big words about holiness from those who'd have backed the Avignon Heresy itt

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Friends, friends, let's not quibble over holiness, cuius regio, eius religio, after all.
And so long as the schism remains unmended you're all equally heretical

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

I Love that i understand everything on this Page solely because of eu4

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Charlemagne was a Roman emperor, and Rome is in Italy, therefore Carlomagno is actually Italian.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Yeah when they stopped being catholic they stopped being holy anyways

protestantism is a teutonic prussian plot to make the free man subservient to the state

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013

Hambilderberglar posted:

Charlemagne's urheimat is and forever will be the low countries, the attempt at stolen valor from a bunch of saxons with an identity crisis notwithstanding.

The Saxons lived along the north sea coast, I don't get what they have to do with Franconia?

Also, where someone was born is, generally, not that relevant. Instead, it is better to look where they spend most of their time, which I'm pretty sure would be the capital of Aachen, which is in the Rhineland, not the Low countries.

icantfindaname posted:

protestantism is a teutonic prussian plot to make the free man subservient to the state

What the gently caress are you talking about? Luther was from Ducal Saxony, the mortal enemy of Prussia.

Dommolus Magnus fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 8, 2017