Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

more sweepers, more life gain. i'd change the bolts to sudden shocks if you want that effect. you can also put the madcap experiment/platinum emperion package in the board. some people run it main but it's just so bad against the card path to exile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

more sweepers, more life gain. i'd change the bolts to sudden shocks if you want that effect. you can also put the madcap experiment/platinum emperion package in the board. some people run it main but it's just so bad against the entire modern format

FTFY

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Elves, Belcher, Eldrazi-Lockdown sounds like a good setup. It's not giving any of my decks Forces, but maybe we want to go all-in and just try to combo faster than anyone else. The benefit of putting myself on Belcher is that I could then coach for the other two matches, assuming that's allowed - it seems to be, in most Team events.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

yeah i actually had that same thought as i was typing it but it's sweet and i don't want to discourage people from playing sweet cards e: <---this is in reference to steve's helpful post

speaking of bad jokes, this is what i'm pretty close to playing in vegas next week:

4 Snapcaster Mage
2 True-Name Nemesis

4 Standstill
1 Humility
2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

1 Council's Judgment
1 Engineered Explosives
2 Terminus
4 Swords to Plowshares
3 Lightning Bolt

4 Force of Will
2 Counterspell
4 Brainstorm
4 Ponder

4 Mishra's Factory
2 Tundra
3 Volcanic Island
4 Flooded Strand
3 Island
2 Plains
1 Arid Mesa
3 Polluted Delta

/// SB:

2 Containment Priest
2 Vendilion Clique
2 Wear // Tear
3 Pyroblast
2 Surgical Extraction
2 Flusterstorm
1 From the Ashes
1 Crucible of Worlds

Crucible without Wasteland is for the real grindfests when im chumping every turn with a factory. Karakas might be better there to give me some more game against The Emrakul/Griselbrand Variety Hour. All of the removal means it *should* be decent against the various small creatures running around, and the lack of creatures should give me an edge against all those loving Czech pile and stoneblade decks that are running around. Terminus without any setup beyond brainstorms and ponders is kinda janky but usually works out okay, and seems better against delver, and mainboard sweepers are required with the massive uptick in TNNs I expect to see. Unfortunately it has not Deathrite Shamans in it but I am desperately trying not to play Grixis Delver with mainboard red blasts like I probably should. there might need to be a pyroclasm or a kozilek's return in here too but it's pretty awk with TNN

However, if I had to play Deathrite Shaman, there is this monstrosity: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/legacy-ubg-38965#paper

Seems horrible in a world of 4x TNN, however. Maybe it needs some unearths :getin:

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 5, 2017

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Unfortunately it has not Deathrite Shamans

Have fun 0/3 dropping!

Also play more Enlightened Tutors.

And Chants.

....and Isochron Scepter.

Basically play The Mighty Quinn.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

Have fun 0/3 dropping!

And Chants.

do not tempt me

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

do not tempt me

Don't be a coward. Do it. DO IT!

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

suicidesteve posted:

Have fun 0/3 dropping!

And Chants.

Didn't The Mighty Quinn run 4 tops?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Archenteron posted:

suicidesteve posted:

Don't be a coward. Do it. DO IT!

:colbert:

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Archenteron posted:

yes, it was a victim of its own success

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008

Star Man posted:

Then why aren't they showing up in the top eight? Is it because the format's saturated with Death's Shadow and other aggressive decks or is it because they are able to beat Chalice and Blood Moon?

I absolutely concede that I could just be wrong but I think pure representation is a factor in modern. The raw popularity and price of a deck can definitely matter. Also I don’t play rw prison/sun and moon but I thought it actually had a good match up against the current ds lists. The Abrupt Decay lists are super greedy in the mana base and as well as the grixis version, could possibly beat one chalice or blood moon but would get stifled by a deck built around that kind of hate.

Again, I could be just dumb and wrong.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Typhus733 posted:

I absolutely concede that I could just be wrong but I think pure representation is a factor in modern. The raw popularity and price of a deck can definitely matter. Also I don’t play rw prison/sun and moon but I thought it actually had a good match up against the current ds lists. The Abrupt Decay lists are super greedy in the mana base and as well as the grixis version, could possibly beat one chalice or blood moon but would get stifled by a deck built around that kind of hate.

Again, I could be just dumb and wrong.

It's kinda like Painter in legacy. Even if it's really good, it's weird as hell and none of the expensive pieces transfer so it isn't going to see a ton of play.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Well I tried Abzan Company at our modern monday night, and I've got to say I'm not impressed. GW with Kessig Wolf Run has a much stronger beatdown plan with cards like Voice of Resurgence, Knight of the Reliquary, and Tireless Tracker. Abzan required too many slots to fit both combos, but I will admit the sideboard options are impeccable! Getting more Knights & such in this week and I will report back after trying a more fleshed out GW version.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I'm having trouble picking a deck for Vegas,. I had initially planned to play Burn in both Legacy and Modern, but Legacy burn is really bad/hard to win with and I haven't had much luck with it in Modern lately either, so I'm starting to get cold feet. I've got a number of decks available, but most of them are real bad in both formats.

For Modern I've got Burn, Infect, Dredge and Merfolk and for Legacy it's the same list sans Dredge, but I've got no chalices for Merfolk which makes it harder to play.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Cactrot posted:

I'm having trouble picking a deck for Vegas,. I had initially planned to play Burn in both Legacy and Modern, but Legacy burn is really bad/hard to win with and I haven't had much luck with it in Modern lately either, so I'm starting to get cold feet. I've got a number of decks available, but most of them are real bad in both formats.

For Modern I've got Burn, Infect, Dredge and Merfolk and for Legacy it's the same list sans Dredge, but I've got no chalices for Merfolk which makes it harder to play.

Merfolk is probably reasonably positioned now with a downturn in Decays being played. Still probably bad, but at least you have true-names which just win out of nowhere.

e: Infect is still very good. Just play that.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Definitely Dredge for Modern IMO

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Cactrot posted:

Play infect for both. People sleep on it in modern, and don't respect it in legacy, then you just win.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Oh, I guess I also have Storm for Modern. I've got all the cards for the current build, but I haven't played the deck since it had Probe and was still playing Pyromancer Ascension.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Cactrot if I need to send you to Vegas with chaliices I can.

But yes, play Infect because Berserk is awesome

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Cactrot posted:

dredge in modern, not close

for legacy play a deck with force of will in it. both of your options are kind of medium. i guess infect since you get access to hotter SB options with the addition of green, and because those sorts of aggro decks seem to be doing well right now with a decline in death and taxes

i would tell you what i am playing but it is very super secret technology (that is posted online)

e: actually if i look at online and other tournament results im seeing a shitload of czech pile, deathblade AND sickos on D&T so... yeah. It's going to be tough sledding if that is what the GP meta is like. The only difference i would think is a prevalence of burn, particularly if you dont have byes

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jun 7, 2017

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Ignore people saying to play infect in modern. Probe got banned at the same time that fatal push and walking ballista entered the format, meanwhile the best deck is full of discard and playing stubborn denial. It's not great anymore. If you have dredge go grind out reps with that. Grave troll getting banned didn't stop it from actually being pretty great.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

dredge in modern, not close

for legacy play a deck with force of will in it. both of your options are kind of medium. i guess infect since you get access to hotter SB options with the addition of green, and because those sorts of aggro decks seem to be doing well right now with a decline in death and taxes

i would tell you what i am playing but it is very super secret technology (that is posted online)

e: actually if i look at online and other tournament results im seeing a shitload of czech pile, deathblade AND sickos on D&T so... yeah. It's going to be tough sledding if that is what the GP meta is like. The only difference i would think is a prevalence of burn, particularly if you dont have byes

I've been playing a lot of legacy on MTGO lateley. Your impressions match mine.

Czech Pile, Deathblade, D&T, and Delver are the big players right now. Not sure if I'd want to rock Infect right now.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
How well do people feel Rest In Peace is positioned right now?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

in legacy? rest in peace the card is great, things to do with rest in peace less great. l0cke certainly did more testing than me (and invented the deck) but a helm combo deck didn't really get there. that leaves you with stoneforge mystic decks and that UW Predict Miracles Bullshit, both of which run snapcaster (excepting Death and Taxes, which technically has Stoneforge Mystic in it)

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Thanks everyone, this kinda confirmed my thinking as I was leaning toward Infect and Dredge. If anyone going to Vegas wants to hang out, PM me, I'll likely have scrubbed out on both day ones despite your advice :)

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:
Where could I find a good fnm level pox list that's sorta up to date

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
People kept saying that Burn would catch on with the advent of DS decks but I haven't seen much of it at my store lately. Not much Dredge either, and that's with a fairly different crew each week. I gotta start building SBs based not on what I think will show up, but what I know won't show up.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

in legacy? rest in peace the card is great, things to do with rest in peace less great. l0cke certainly did more testing than me (and invented the deck) but a helm combo deck didn't really get there. that leaves you with stoneforge mystic decks and that UW Predict Miracles Bullshit, both of which run snapcaster (excepting Death and Taxes, which technically has Stoneforge Mystic in it)

The UWr Helm Combo list worked well, but it wasnt good enough to be worth playing in a GP. I tested several other piles for UWx control, and had some success with an AK build, but it was also probably not good enough. If I went I would be playing either a 4 color leovold pyromancer build, or a UWR PyroMentor build. Either way I would be playing at least 2-3 sudden shocks, theyre too good right now in the current meta vs basically every deck but eldrazi and lands.

This is where I am right now on mentor variants, but its questionable whether its worth cutting some number of spells and 1-2 lands for wastelands or not. I am also not sold on 0 spell snares, but I dont know what to cut to make room.

Right now it feels like pretty much every matchup except Lands is at least even if not a bit favorable.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

L0cke17 posted:

The UWr Helm Combo list worked well, but it wasnt good enough to be worth playing in a GP. I tested several other piles for UWx control, and had some success with an AK build, but it was also probably not good enough. If I went I would be playing either a 4 color leovold pyromancer build, or a UWR PyroMentor build. Either way I would be playing at least 2-3 sudden shocks, theyre too good right now in the current meta vs basically every deck but eldrazi and lands.

This is where I am right now on mentor variants, but its questionable whether its worth cutting some number of spells and 1-2 lands for wastelands or not. I am also not sold on 0 spell snares, but I dont know what to cut to make room.

Right now it feels like pretty much every matchup except Lands is at least even if not a bit favorable.

That looks like a fun list. Sudden Shocks vs Infect, Affinity...what else am I missing?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Smashing Link posted:

That looks like a fun list. Sudden Shocks vs Infect, Affinity...what else am I missing?

Elves, D&T (gently caress mom/sanctum prelate on 1), mentor/pyromancer mirrors, anything with DRS. It shines in basically every match where they try to win with a creature. Doesnt kill leovold obviously, but you have blasts and swords and snapcasters for that. Also doesnt do much vs Aluren besides hitting their deathrites, but still, its a really solid card right now.

I have a Dega list that is really sweet with Kambals, chrome mox, pyromancer, mentor, and sorins, (and all the night's whispers) but that is just too bad to really post right now. Needs a lot of tweaking.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

L0cke17 posted:

Elves, D&T (gently caress mom/sanctum prelate on 1), mentor/pyromancer mirrors, anything with DRS. It shines in basically every match where they try to win with a creature. Doesnt kill leovold obviously, but you have blasts and swords and snapcasters for that. Also doesnt do much vs Aluren besides hitting their deathrites, but still, its a really solid card right now.

I have a Dega list that is really sweet with Kambals, chrome mox, pyromancer, mentor, and sorins, (and all the night's whispers) but that is just too bad to really post right now. Needs a lot of tweaking.

Being able to take cavern harpy off the board sounds OK vs Aluren, but it depends on the exact build and what they have in hand.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Played round 2 of Modern League today, my trend of getting paired against good decks while I am playing jank continues!

As you may recall I am playing 42 land Seismic Swans. R1 was against Naya burn and I won 2-0

'Today I got paired against affinity!

G1 I win the die roll and my opening 7 is triple temple and 4 other lands, so I mulligan to 6 and keep 2x temple 1x swan, 3 other lands. I keep and scry a land to the bottom looking to find any action cards. I do not find any action cards and I face down lethal the turn I could cast a swans.

Sideboard: Out 3x mountain, 1x island, 2x serum visions. In: 3x anger of the gods, 2x shattering spree, 1x molten vortex.

G2: I keep a 7 that has a molten vortex and play it on T1. Opponent thoughtseizes and sees 2x anger, and takes an anger. After that the game is just me keeping the board clear until i treasure hunt into a seismic assault, followed by a days undoing, which nets me a swans, and I combo out.'

G3: I keep an anger of the gods and 6 land in the opening 7, opponent mulls to 6, tanks hard and keeps, plays a land, memnite, and signal pest and passes. I play temple scry pass. opponent swings, plays a vault skirge and passes. I untap, play temple (scry a molten vortex on top), and pass. opponent plays cranial plating, swings and passes. I play a land and cast anger. Opponent untaps, plays a steel overseer and passes. I untap play vortex, ping overseer. Opponent untaps, plays overseer, and passes. I untap, draw treasure hunt, cast it, find seismic assault and two land, ping steel overseer and pass. Opponent plays vault skirge, and passes. I play seismic assault, ping skirge and pass. opponent plays second cranial plating and passes. I play swans and ping my swans 5 times, hitting double no land two times, which brings me precariously low on land in hand, so I eventually ping my way to a shattering spree with 2 land left in hand and pass turn I figure I can swing with swans for a bit and drop my opponents life total lower. Opponent draws, looks excited, slams a mox opal and now that he finally has 3 mana plays the etched champion that has been rotting in hand and passes the turn. I untap, shattering spree his 2x cranial plating and max opal, then throw a land at his no longer metalcraft champion and he scoops in response.

Win 2-1

42 land swans now 2-0 at local modern league.

Sometimes I'd rather be lucky than good.

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 8, 2017

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Mezzanon posted:

42 land swans now 2-0 at local modern league.

Dammit, stop making this deck sound viable, I don't need to be dragged into another deck I'll never actually play :argh:

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

Dammit, stop making this deck sound viable, I don't need to be dragged into another deck I'll never actually play :argh:

$70 well spent!

If I can squeak out one more win I'll be a lock for top 8. What a time to be alive

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Welp. I sold two tropicals and $1k in MTGO stuff, then bought a semimodular analog synthesizer, the first 1/6th of a series of prescription Ketamine infusions as an experimental tinnitus treatment... and everything I needed to finish up 8rack :getin:

Can't wait for the salt, I've actually never bumped into this deck in paper before (but have played against it a lot online so know it's hardly tier1).

I was tempted to get a playset of Japanese foil pack rats but it would have doubled the amount I was spending.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Welp. I sold two tropicals and $1k in MTGO stuff, then bought a semimodular analog synthesizer, the first 1/6th of a series of prescription Ketamine infusions as an experimental tinnitus treatment... and everything I needed to finish up 8rack :getin:

Can't wait for the salt, I've actually never bumped into this deck in paper before (but have played against it a lot online so know it's hardly tier1).

I was tempted to get a playset of Japanese foil pack rats but it would have doubled the amount I was spending.

This year I turned legacy staples into becoming debt free. I know how good that feels man, congrats!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I turned my entire magic collection except for one legacy deck into 1/3 of an Acura. :):hf::)

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
My vintage deck will be the down payment on a Porsche one day. Just not today.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
My cube will help pay for my funeral one day. Just maybe not today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Pontius Pilate posted:

My cube will help pay for my funeral one day. Just maybe not today.

lol no it won't