Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Are there any "no naval" mods for FOTS? Or at least ones that let me ignore how insufferable that part of the game is and just have offshore artillery?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
It sounds snippy, but given in 'the old days' you just had to auto-resolve and hope, just do that?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Frustrating thing with naval auto-resolve in FOTS is you'll get a lot of occasions where some lovely corvette (or whatever the basic ship is in that game, I forget) will absolutely dunk on the HMS Warrior and so forth. Although I imagine it would probably be okay if you eschew the use of ironclads.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Yeah just make a proper navy for when you feel like doing manual battles, and another one that only uses some medium ships that are fast to build like copper-plated corvettes or whatever all those loving things are called. Make sure the fleet has as many ships as it can and auto-resolve everything.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Corrode posted:

Nah it's more than that. Because of regional occupation, the race groups don't really break out of their areas, especially VCs who're actively punished for leaving areas they can't control, and confederation means that even if e.g. Clan Angrund are doing well then sooner or later they're likely to get absorbed by their major faction. Angrund are pretty exceptional even - the other mountain Dwarf holds never do anything really, I think in a modded game Zhufbar had a good run once but generally they just sit in their home region forever until they get confederated. I don't think I've ever seen Grung Zint get colonised by Karak Ziflin evne though it completes their province, for example.

In Medieval 2, let's say you started with England, you could still reasonably end up fighting in the Middle East - maybe you decided to get really big in Crusades and fight your way down there or something. Or you could go through Scandinavia and into Russia, or whatever - like my very first Medieval 1 campaign, I ended up crusading against the Mongols when they appeared and ended up with an English empire that pushed straight through Russia. Or maybe you did the "expected" thing and hit France, then from there you can go into Spain or Germany or Italy. That kind of thing doesn't exist in Warhammer.
It takes much, MUCH, less effort to go south to fight the border princes or destroy the orcs as the Empire than to do any of both of your options as England in medieval 2 even with the crusading movement buff though. You can't coqnuer all the badlands as the humans but that's not exactly a drawback, it's a way to make the Orcs somewhat of a permanent menace. If anything the main issue is that the Orcs never show up if you're not playing as the Dwarves. But as the player any faction has tons of options of what to do, they just don't allow you to paint the entirety of the map in your color.

Confederation is annoying yeah, specially when you're about to conquer a faction's last settlement and puff, if becomes the main faction instead!

SeanBeansShako posted:

Remember when they were putting together Rome 2 and they were basically hinting at a system where instead of straight upgrades you could kit your soldiers out with gear instead after researching and building it?

It sounded interesting.
Well, they're doing it in Arena. Maybe that's a testbed for a new function in the new historical game?

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
All I know is I miss dressing up my militia in Medieval 2 in fancy armor.:qq:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
So I take it this June they are going to be throwing down some big announcements at some convention?

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I think I remember this getting asked a lot in this thread last time I read it, but I don't remember the consensus. Did Rome 2 ever turn out to be a good, solid game? I bought it at launch, but my computer at the time couldn't handle it, and all the weird issues people had with it kept me from ever really coming back to it.

I have a close friend who's recently gained a big Rome-boner for some reason, and if the game's good I'm thinking about keeping an eye out and buying it for him if I ever see it for less than $60 (jesus christ.) The game had a multiplayer campaign, right? I've played plenty of those in Shogun and Total War, and I'm kind of in the mood to do it again. I realize Shogun and TW are pretty solidly the best in the series, but how well does Rome 2 hold up?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Peachy Poo posted:

I think I remember this getting asked a lot in this thread last time I read it, but I don't remember the consensus. Did Rome 2 ever turn out to be a good, solid game? I bought it at launch, but my computer at the time couldn't handle it, and all the weird issues people had with it kept me from ever really coming back to it.

I have a close friend who's recently gained a big Rome-boner for some reason, and if the game's good I'm thinking about keeping an eye out and buying it for him if I ever see it for less than $60 (jesus christ.) The game had a multiplayer campaign, right? I've played plenty of those in Shogun and Total War, and I'm kind of in the mood to do it again. I realize Shogun and TW are pretty solidly the best in the series, but how well does Rome 2 hold up?

It's playable since the Emperor Edition, and you can get enjoyment out of it (especially if you play as Actual Rome, whose campaign is structured the best probably). It does have some significant issues just... structurally, though. Like the handling of general skills (and the pace of advancing time making your generals mean almost nothing to you), or the granularity and duplication of building types, an awful building/unit browser, and so on.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mods fixed most of the annoying mechanics so yeah, it's a solid game now.

They should have retrofited Atilla's mechanics into it though.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Mans posted:

or at least the offline bulding tree. i for one love waiting for a buildings details to load over and over an :suicide:

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Mans posted:

Well I found some shady online stores that sell it for cheap enough for me to not be too annoyed if we don't like it, so I'll probably pull the trigger Monday when my friend gets home.

Any suggestions for must have/quality of life mods then?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Peachy Poo posted:

Well I found some shady online stores that sell it for cheap enough for me to not be too annoyed if we don't like it, so I'll probably pull the trigger Monday when my friend gets home.

Any suggestions for must have/quality of life mods then?

If your friend has a big ol Rome boner you do Hannibal At The Gates DLC and Caesar In Gaul DLC for the campaign scenarios. I actually prefer those to the grand campaign

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

canyoneer posted:

If your friend has a big ol Rome boner you do Hannibal At The Gates DLC and Caesar In Gaul DLC for the campaign scenarios. I actually prefer those to the grand campaign

Does this work like a Paradox game where if the hosting player has the DLC, the other player can play it with them, or would we both have to have it? My friend is broke as gently caress and I'm not much better off. If he'd have to get the game and both of us get the DLC as well, that'd probably be a little hard to justify. Interesting idea though, I've never really messed with any of the more focused campaigns in these games.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Peachy Poo posted:

Does this work like a Paradox game where if the hosting player has the DLC, the other player can play it with them, or would we both have to have it? My friend is broke as gently caress and I'm not much better off. If he'd have to get the game and both of us get the DLC as well, that'd probably be a little hard to justify. Interesting idea though, I've never really messed with any of the more focused campaigns in these games.

You both would need the DLC.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Peachy Poo posted:

They go on sale for $3.75/each every month or so. Set an alert on isthereanydeal.com. I'd say "not worth it" at $15 each

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Alright, thanks for all the help. Everything's set unless there's any must-have mods to recommend.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Are there any good mods for Shogun 2?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

Are there any good mods for Shogun 2?

"3 skill points per level" is good and lets you experience more of the character skill tree while still being balanced.

"Bayonet mod" makes the gun troops in FotS use bayonets in melee combat (As opposed to yari)

Nothing really necessary really, it's kinda up to taste. I like some of the old recolour mods but damned if I can't find them anymore.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
The artillery mod that re-adds all the artillery types that were taken out of the game is also good, but I'm at work and can't look for it right now.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Don Gato posted:

The artillery mod that re-adds all the artillery types that were taken out of the game is also good, but I'm at work and can't look for it right now.

I second this and the bayonet mod too, and get the tech one for FOTS because chances are you'll only see half at end game unless you go hardcore independent republic.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Come back Jeff Van Dyck! Come baaaack!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY81yYFzgiU

This was your PSA of the day.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Hey here's some news https://www.totalwar.com/blog/what-the-teams-are-working-on-07-06-17/

Of interest for non-Warhammer fans:

- new "large campaign DLC" for a "recent historical title" (so probably Attila):

- stand-alone "historical flashpoint" title from an already-visited era, with a focus on a shorter, intense historical period (like Fall of the Samurai)

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

"Bayonet mod" makes the gun troops in FotS use bayonets in melee combat (As opposed to yari)

IIRC this one works by having bayoneted rifles use spear animations, resulting in this:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
whoah, they're doing a third historical thing too? cool

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

ninjahedgehog posted:

IIRC this one works by having bayoneted rifles use spear animations, resulting in this:

Working as designed.

quote:

Other areas that are progressing nicely are the important character relations that occur between the major personalities in the game
Makes me really think Three Kingdoms China.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

ninjahedgehog posted:

That is badass man.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Fangz posted:

Makes me really think Three Kingdoms China.

That seems to be the general hope and consensus.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Another reason why it's basically required!

StarMinstrel posted:

Come back Jeff Van Dyck! Come baaaack!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY81yYFzgiU

This was your PSA of the day.

I still have no idea why they don't have him do everything, he's incredibly talented. Such a wide range of musical styles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ0_0bBARq8

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

They should have used him for ETW/NTW yeah. Don't get me wrong, the music for NTW is okay (ETW is generic as gently caress though) such a shame.

ninjahedgehog posted:

DEATH BY THROWN ENFIELD MUSKET!

So the HISTORY one, Vikings do you reckon?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

SeanBeansShako posted:

So the HISTORY one, Vikings do you reckon?

A Great Heathen Army total war game/campaign focused on the British Isles would be loving sweet. Two or three different Viking factions, Wessex, Mercia, Gwynedd, Scots.... if you want to go down alt-history, you could even face invasions from the Norwegians or Normans or Carolingians.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Two Ds makes a th sound right?

I really hope the Attila Dlc rolls out an optimization patch alongside.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 7, 2017

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

ninjahedgehog posted:

Was that a mod though?

I say this because that's my picture (or incredibly close to it) and I'm not sure I was using mods in that run

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

peer posted:

Hey here's some news https://www.totalwar.com/blog/what-the-teams-are-working-on-07-06-17/

Of interest for non-Warhammer fans:

- new "large campaign DLC" for a "recent historical title" (so probably Attila):

- stand-alone "historical flashpoint" title from an already-visited era, with a focus on a shorter, intense historical period (like Fall of the Samurai)

They are working on 2 new historical games, one with a new setting (my guess would be that 3 kingdom thing that everyone keeps talking about) and one with a limited scope set in an era we've already seen (probably the middle ages I guess).

They also announced a new race pack for Warhammer 1 to be released before 2, which will not be Kislev, it will also include some free stuff for people that own certain DLC's.

That picture for the historical DLC for the existing game makes me hope it will be about the crisis of the 3rd century, it's one of the more interesting periods during the roman empire they haven't adressed yet. Basically the combined pressure of foreign invaders, civil war, economic pressure and the plague lead to 50 years of the Roman empire coming incredibly close to collapsing upon itself, yet they barely make it out, mostly thanks to Aurelian reconquering everything and Diocletians economic reforms. Interestingly, if you look at the related articles in the wikipedia entry it has both the Sengoku period and the Three kingdoms period.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crisis_of_the_Third_Century

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

dogstile posted:

Was that a mod though?

I say this because that's my picture (or incredibly close to it) and I'm not sure I was using mods in that run

It is a mod, you might have seen your guys with Yari spears doing it. Outside mods soldiers in FOTS do not have bayonets on their rifles. They usually switch to swords or sabers.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

shalcar posted:

I still have no idea why they don't have him do everything, he's incredibly talented. Such a wide range of musical styles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ0_0bBARq8

My experience with how that went down is probably some internal politics going bad for him, with his knowledge or no, since usually companies are very tight groups that keep their contractor close to them. A good example of that is the movie industry, you can easily notice how directors often work, if not all the time, with the same actors, composers, producers.

Anyway, I also like the new guy stuff (I forget his name), his work for Attila is good, but to me it just doesn't have that "oomph" that Dyck has. I... would not be against the idea of a separate DLC with music from Van Dyck.

---

With regards to the upcoming limited scope game, would Attila be considered limited scope? It felt like it to me just because of the short amount of time it covers. Or more like Caesar in Gaul and other like minded DLCs?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I thought the main reason they moved away from Jeff Van Dyck is that it was too difficult to schedule times to work with him because he's in Canada and CA is England based.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Arcsquad12 posted:

I thought the main reason they moved away from Jeff Van Dyck is that it was too difficult to schedule times to work with him because he's in Canada and CA is England based.

CA definitely maintains a working relationship with Jeff Van Dyck, he last worked with them in Alien: Isolation, which was released when they were finishing up Attila.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

ZearothK posted:

CA definitely maintains a working relationship with Jeff Van Dyck, he last worked with them in Alien: Isolation, which was released when they were finishing up Attila.

That's good to know, and keeps me hopeful we'll see him again in future total war titles.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I'm playing Napoleon, TW for the first time (experienced with the other games) and am having a hard time in the European Campaign. I quickly amassed a full stack army and bumrushed London, but the city keeps revolting after occupation. I've eliminated taxes and dismantled all unhappiness-generating buildings in the region (manufactory, gun thing, Oxford college). I can't build a theatre upgrade in time to keep people happy, and I can't station any more units in town - completely full.

Is it impossible to subdue them? Should I just loot the town and move on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I haven't played Napoleon in a long time but I bet if you look under the causes of unrest there will be something like recently conquered being a huge chunk of it. That will dissipate quite rapidly, so just ride out the initial outrage and the sheeple will forget soon enough.