Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Eltoasto posted:

It would be truly a great example of our system if the house passes a terrible bill to get it off their desk, knowing the senate will kill it, just for the senate to craft a terrible bill and send it back to the house assuming the freedom caucus will kill it, and then it becomes law.

I think I saw that on Schoolhouse Rock! :pseudo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
King laying into these assholes pretty good for refusing to answer.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don't know who's talking now but I love him, good on him for pressing these IC dudes

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I wish for Wray to publicly announce he was not asked and does not want the job. Please God

Of course he wants the job. He's a republican hack who can use that job to do a ton of evil.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

JazzFlight posted:

In this case, couldn't (in theory) the House just always pass a generic "BLAH BLAH BLAH REPLACE TEXT HERE" bill and let the Senate rewrite it in all instances? Why even bother spending time writing a legitimate bill in the first place?

House has to vote on the amended bill again, so you cant pass trash and totallu rewrite it in senate, and pass it to law immediately
Its got to go back to house

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
HOLY poo poo, MAINE GOONS:

FIX YOUR poo poo

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/LisaMirandoCNN/status/872477728741765121

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

JazzFlight posted:

In this case, couldn't (in theory) the House just always pass a generic "BLAH BLAH BLAH REPLACE TEXT HERE" bill and let the Senate rewrite it in all instances? Why even bother spending time writing a legitimate bill in the first place?

In normal times the House will write a bill that isn't laughably terrible, and the senate will give it genuine consideration and say "we like a lot of this, but we want to change this."

If the senate passes the house bill without modifications it goes to the president. If they change anything, it either goes back to the house to pass it without further modifications (which the dems had to do for ACA because of Leiberman), or if the house doesn't want to pass the senate bill but they think they can figure out a compromise, they can have a conference committee made up of lots of senators and house members who talk it over to see what can pass both houses. The compromise bill then has to be voted on again by both houses.

In the end, both houses have to agree on the bill as written, if the senate changes the bill and the house goes "gently caress you, no" then the bill just dies.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Wittes has been doing this a lot lately.

https://twitter.com/benjaminwittes/status/872480143205425152

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Washington Post published this too.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/872479425291538432

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Potato Salad posted:

FIX YOUR poo poo

what did their governor do now

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Sloober posted:

House has to vote on the amended bill again, so you cant pass trash and totallu rewrite it in senate, and pass it to law immediately
Its got to go back to house
Oh, I know it has to then go back to the House. But if this bill is so different from the original, then it'll just be yet another round of courting the Freedom Caucus crazies, right? It was just a ton of wasted time to get them on board on the first two attempts.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You know, I've realized why this worked during the campaign and doesn't work now.

During the campaign, if they wanted him to shut up, they could shoot pure heroin into his eyeballs by scheduling rallies.

Here, nothing they have is going to captivate his attention the same way, and the little poo poo takes revenge for attempts to control him. Like, sure, he was happy to go play sword dances and power orbs with the Saudis, but the second he stopped having fun in Europe he omitted the Article 5 pledge. I don't think they have anything that can keep his attention enough to stay off a guy he hates possibly 'slandering' him.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Nazzadan posted:

My friend have a seat, I have something terrible to tell you about live video chats for the past 5 years or more.

I watched a live chat session just an hour before this one, was more or less benign and even fun in parts. This though? It was like the entire thing was made up of 80 percent bots.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Democrat are gutless losers.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Well, he delivered yesterday, but its pretty loving early in the day for another big scoop

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Glumslinger posted:

Well, he delivered yesterday, but its pretty loving early in the day for another big scoop

Isn't this Comey's buddy? At this point it's probably just that Comey is testifying tommorow. Why drop stuff beforehand?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

evilweasel posted:

Isn't this Comey's buddy? At this point it's probably just that Comey is testifying tommorow. Why drop stuff beforehand?

To help set the narrative?

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Zapf Dingbat posted:

The nothing matters comments feel a lot like clinical depression.

I think maybe it's actually all the stuff not mattering.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

OOOooo Manchin is the committee virgin, so happy to be here!

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

JazzFlight posted:

Oh, I know it has to then go back to the House. But if this bill is so different from the original, then it'll just be yet another round of courting the Freedom Caucus crazies, right? It was just a ton of wasted time to get them on board on the first two attempts.

We are hoping that the Senate fails to get to 50, but if the senate passes something, then yes our final hope will be that the HFC crazies tell the senate to gently caress off and die.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Glumslinger posted:

To help set the narrative?

The narrative is already set. If Comey wants to be asked something directly, he can quietly talk to a Democratic Senator's aide like he did last time. Now, you want the testimony to be as newsworthy as possible.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Anyone setting themselves up for anything other then disappointment from Comey is going to feel a little heartburn.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

They have to treat Trump like he's Livia Soprano or some poo poo

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

evilweasel posted:

No idea why, but yesterday when he posted the same thing it was before the NYT's piece on Comey asking Sessions not to leave him alone with Trump.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Whoa, does that mean the actual text of the House-passed bill, or is this part of the procedure to start considering the bill and then re-draft it themselves?

https://twitter.com/ddiamond/status/872481743571431424

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Potato Salad posted:

FIX YOUR poo poo

never

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Blitz7x posted:

Anyone setting themselves up for anything other then disappointment from Comey is going to feel a little heartburn.

There is reason for hope. He has in the past quietly told a Dem senator to ask him a specific question, and then used that to drop a stunning bombshell before.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Rigel posted:

There is reason for hope. He has in the past quietly told a Dem senator to ask him a specific question, and then used that to drop a stunning bombshell before.

He also declined to testify until he was given a public hearing, so presumably he wants to say something

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/872483404033519616

quote:

Passing on alt-right conspiracies. Railing about ‘teaching gayness.’ Arguing for leniency to sentence minors to death. And these three nominees are expected to be confirmed easily.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

mcmagic posted:

Democrat are gutless losers.

Could be trying reverse psychology. :) If Democrats come out in favor of Trump's guy, he's going to get a little paranoid about him.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

You would think "Finish writing the drat thing" would be the first check box, but what the hell do I know.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Glumslinger posted:

He also declined to testify until he was given a public hearing, so presumably he wants to say something

I mean, I thought the main 'worry' was just that this has been overhyped, because the presence of Mueller means that Comey can't say anything that might compromise his investigation, and thus the testimony cleared with Mueller is probably going to be less incendiary than it was before there was a Special Counsel.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

No idea why, but yesterday when he posted the same thing it was before the NYT's piece on Comey asking Sessions not to leave him alone with Trump.

And that was hilarious, sure, but not exactly a bombshell. This sort of stuff is getting overhyped.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
I liked seeing Manchin press the "well if you can't answer in open hearing, come on back for the closed hearing in a few hours" invite. Unfortunately, they got bailed out by the chair with "Oops, that session is chock full for 702 technical details".

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/USATODAY/status/872449368959455232

Got lost earlier I think.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

No filibuster for regular judicial nominees anymore.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That seems like kind of a big deal but I'm nothing near a lawyer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

evilweasel posted:

what did their governor do now

Senator King, actually.

Guy apparently doesn't think all citizens by default deserve the grace of "We will not comment on ongoing investigations." King has been pressuring Rosenstein hard for answers specifically regarding Trump's legal maneuvering, stating that he is aware of no law preventing the Department of Justice from answering questions on ongoing investigations. King kept railing, "Can you name for me the law behind why you are not answering the question(s)?" Rosenstein eventually answered, more politely, "Have you seen a loving cop show ever?"

• Locked thread