Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

"The first thing I see advertised is a Kickstarter exclusive that would cost an extra 5 gbp to anyone who doesn't get in on Day 1, and that is enough for me to disregard the rest of the project. But scrolling down I also see some nice cleavage on Athena, who was definitely not known for being a virgin or anything."

Now that's a good first response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
So it looks like the long in gestation new Mac Gerdts game Transatlantic will finally see the light at Essen:

quote:

From the opening of the Suez Canal in 1869 to the beginning of WWI in 1914, there was an amazing development of bigger, faster, and more modern steamships. Whereas in 1870 there are still many clippers around and the good old paddle steamer "Scotia" sails the North Atlantic, sea trade is dominated by the end of the game by huge vessels like "Mauretania"(Cunard), "Olympic"(White Star), or "Imperator"(Hapag).

2 to 5 players lead their own shipping companies, which transport freight, mail, and passengers around the globe. They purchase new steamships from the market, each of them historical with their individual technical data (tons, knots etc.). Competition is tough especially in the North Atlantic, where winning the "Blue Riband" is not only a matter of prestige, but may also be a profitable investment. In order to let a shipping company flourish, purchasing the best steamships is not enough, if one fails to acquire enough coal bunkers and trade posts as well.

The game is driven by cards: on each turn play one card, and execute the related action. As new cards enter the game, build your individual deck of cards with new or improved possibilities. The task is to manage your merchant fleet most efficiently. It's a maritime strategy game with low luck, lots of interactive choices, and tough decisions.

It sounds like a mix of Navegador and Concordia. Hopefully it's not too samey but I pretty much love everything he has done so I'll allow a little blind faith.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
He's right

Though I'm a sucker for KS exclusives. The game looks... more like something meant to be sitting pretty on a shelf somewhere than something to be played. It's supposedly a quick-playing game (60-90 minutes playing time) but setup looks like it takes quite some effort mostly due to the miniatures. Maybe my friends and I are just clumsy idiots, but any game with lots of miniatures has at least 10 minutes tacked on to the setup.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

T-Bone posted:

So it looks like the long in gestation new Mac Gerdts game Transatlantic will finally see the light at Essen:

It sounds like a mix of Navegador and Concordia. Hopefully it's not too samey but I pretty much love everything he has done so I'll allow a little blind faith.

How's Antike II? I grabbed it on a whim from a recent sale because it checked a lot of boxes including the Mac Gerdts designer credit.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

FulsomFrank posted:

How's Antike II? I grabbed it on a whim from a recent sale because it checked a lot of boxes including the Mac Gerdts designer credit.

It's kind of like his Rondel version of Kemet in a way. It encourages aggression (although you could I suppose win without ever fighting) and there's a nice sense of brinksmanship with the end game that is also very Kemetesque. It's neat. Not essential like Imperial/Imperial 2030 and Concordia, but a very good game at the level of Navegador.

e: Kemet is maybe overselling the combat a little, the civ building/economy driven parts of the game are just as important.

Oh I got Luna to the table finally and that's a pretty good Feld even though I'm maybe getting tired of hunting for micro edge upon micro edge and wish his games had a more strategic > tactical bent at times (ALTHOUGH Luna, like Trajan I think can be more strategic than it appears if you really really work everything out).

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 6, 2017

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Crackbone posted:

How is Carson City? I read through the rules and it looks good, but I'm afraid all the good reviews are from Kickstarter hype over the Big Box.
I like the idea of an aggressive Worker Placement that plays out in 2 hours or less.
It's good, although make sure you play the gun variant that doesn't use dice. I like the character selection you can every round and how it changes from game to game.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Well, after all the talk about which Dominion sets I should get, and me eventually ordering them, they've all finally arrived, and I've obtained a box+sleeves for them! (Although oddly, the UltraPro sleeves are like, just under a millimeter too short - so I'm not sure what kind of cards they're intended for...not a big deal though in this situation, thankfully)

(White dividers for VP, money and curses, red for base-game kingdom cards, yellow/gold for Prosperity and purple for Intrigue. Randomizer cards are all in the bottom-right of the photo, sleeved with colours matching the dividers/expansions)

It took quite some time though, sleeving those ~1100-1200 cards and then cutting out all those rectangle dividers! (90 rectangles from ten sheets of A4, argh! Felt like I was in a primary school art class again, haha)
Now I can finally look forward to playing the damned game! :v: (And then I plan on getting Seaside eventually, and sleeving those...plus I still need to finish labeling all the dividers I have, heh)

So yeah, just curious about other peoples' storage solutions for Dominion and its many expansions. Do you all just store the cards in the boxes they came in (unsleeved), or are you like me, and prefer them to all be in one, somewhat more space-efficient, location?

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 7, 2017

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

homullus posted:

I've backed 46 projects over five years and all but 7 have come in; three of those seven are recent pledges, two will be in soon (Ben Robbins' Follow and Blades in the Dark POD), one is a video game (Bard's Tale), and one is Alas Vegas, which ... probably will come in eventually. Not all 46 have been or will be in retail -- they hit enough of their market with the KS, or were pretty niche things.

My experience with Kickstarter has been good throughout, but it got significantly better once I learned to recognize a good game when I saw it. That usually means finished rules that I can see while it is being Kickstarted, and/or a proven designer.

To be fair, the PDFs for Alas, Vegas are out. Just waiting on the hard copies. And waiting.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Major Isoor posted:

So yeah, just curious about other peoples' storage solutions for Dominion and its many expansions. Do you all just store the cards in the boxes they came in (unsleeved), or are you like me, and prefer them to all be in one, somewhat more space-efficient, location?

I use an enormous binder (the rings are 4" diameter, I believe) filled with baseball card pages. A full stack of each kingdom card fits in each pocket. I don't own many expansions, but I'm told all of them could fit. All the extra tokens and mats and what not go in the zipped compartments. It's got a handle, so it's very easy to take anywhere.

I sleeve nothing because the game ain't expensive and I value my time. Also, since I play Dominion online every day, I don't pull out the physical version often.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I have some dragonshield four compartment boxes. The base game fits in a single box, unsleeved, and an expansion takes half a box. they stack real nice too.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Well. I found someone willing to sell me a copy of 1st and Goal plus an expansion for $25 which is great news for me.

I'm gonna need to start carrying a bigger game bag to our gaming nights! I also really need to get some storage solutions for some of my games. Dark Moon is great, separating the pieces out of my dumb baggies, not so much. It's time to stop buying games and start buying plastic bins

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
There is a board game bar near me that I'm finally going to try visiting. My favorite part of their list of games is that they have Combat Commander: Europe for some mystifying reason.

http://therookotr.com/library-search-results/

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

fr0id posted:

There is a board game bar near me that I'm finally going to try visiting. My favorite part of their list of games is that they have Combat Commander: Europe for some mystifying reason.

http://therookotr.com/library-search-results/

You should play it.

terebikun
May 27, 2016
I've tried a bunch of new games!

Onitama - loving bust my head open. It reminds me of solving Chess or Go problems on constant rotation. Sort of like Twilight Struggle where I'm not actually sure if I'm having fun, but I'm completely engrossed.
Tak - Feels like an old classic. Don't think it would replace Go or Hive as my go-to abstracts, but an impressively slick design.
Tsuro - Charmingly simple abstract that I can actually see myself playing more of. One of the rare games an adult can play with a kid and both are having equal amounts of fun.
Machi Koro - whatever next
Valeria: Card Kingdoms - The definition of fine. Better than Machi Koro, but undeserving of the crazy praise it gets at my FLGS.
Fugitive - A 2 player hidden movement/deduction game that manages to be even shorter and simpler than Mr. Jack. I thought seeing all those numbers and the skeleton of the mechanic laid bare would put me off, but nope. Way into it.
Champions of Midgard - Was told it's like a better Lords of Waterdeep, but I've never played that. Felt a lot like Stone Age, but not complete poo poo. Didn't blow me away, but wouldn't mind playing again.
Hanamikoji - A neat variation on Battle Line with more actual pushing and pulling in the tug of war. Not sure if it's better, but the size of the Battle Line box makes me so crazy angry that gently caress it, Hanamikoji is better.
Niya - It's fine. A totally inoffensive Connect-Tac-Toe-em-up. I dunno it's fine. It's short and small and fun I guess. It's fine.
Takenoko - Wow I almost completely forgot I played this, and I guess that's a good enough description.
Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small - This game was pretty loving rad, even if having all those animeeples yet discs instead of worker meeples makes NO GODDAMN SENSE. Also doesn't seem like there's enough variability to justify buying the app which I was considering, and if I was gonna play a 2-player Agricola-like I'd prefer Brew Crafters, but still a very satisfying game in under a half hour. Horse Town USA
Kingdomino - This is some poo poo right here. Very nice indeed.
Odin's Ravens - Simple, quick, lovely, and don't feel the need to ever play it again.

Also I cannot stop playing Star Realms on my phone, even though I am pretty sure it is not a very good game, and I am thinking this the whole time while I continue playing.

terebikun fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jun 7, 2017

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

terebikun posted:

Also I cannot stop playing Star Realms on my phone, even though I am pretty sure it is not a very good game, and I am thinking this the whole time while I continue playing.

This is exactly my star realms experience

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Agricola All Creatures only really gets variation with the building expansions (which do add a bit).

Tsuro is definitely going to a few younger relatives for Christmas.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

When the kids play Tsuro with me and someone realises they are doomed its become a tradition to go for the longest most loopy death possible.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Man after some of the games in development I've playtested over the past couple weeks, let me tell you guys that even the worst games that get published are better than the majority of games that get designed

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Kashuno posted:

Man after some of the games in development I've playtested over the past couple weeks, let me tell you guys that even the worst games that get published are better than the majority of games that get designed
Actually getting into playtesting made me realise that I'd never cut it as a game designer: the number of hours that you have to force yourself to play essentially broken games in order to improve them is not fun.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tekopo posted:

Actually getting into playtesting made me realise that I'd never cut it as a game designer: the number of hours that you have to force yourself to play essentially broken games in order to improve them is not fun.

I don't mind playing broken games to improve them, but the amount of games I've played where people haven't even gone far enough to think "what is the ending condition" and still think their game is "THE NEXT (Insert popular game of their genre here)" is frustrating.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Haha, no. He linked a random thread in FYAD for some reason. Posts in question start here.

I don't know how the hell I managed that, I copied and pasted the link from my browser bar. And I never go into FYAD. Apologies for the mess, and thanks for fixing it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Jedit posted:

I don't know how the hell I managed that, I copied and pasted the link from my browser bar. And I never go into FYAD. Apologies for the mess, and thanks for fixing it.
The threadid in the URL for the TG Kickstarter thread is threadid=3777631
The one for the FYAD thread is threadid=377763

So you just missed the 1 :)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kashuno posted:

This is very close to a natural law in creative endeavors. 10% of the board game designers produce 50% of the games played on a regular basis. Also among those designers, 10% of the games they have produced get 50% of the play. So for example, most people play Uwe Rosenburg games, and among them the majority are only playing Agricola.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q0PCDEJWek&t=168s

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jun 7, 2017

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Rutibex posted:

This is very close to a natural law in creative endeavors. 10% of the board game designers produce 50% of the games played on a regular basis. Also among those designers, 10% of the games they have produced get 50% of the play. So for example, most people play Uwe Rosenburg games, and among them the majority are only playing Agricola.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q0PCDEJWek&t=168s

That was genuinely interesting, thank you. I also can easily see how it applies to board games, and many other things.

Just look at reviewers. There are so many game players out there that I'm sure would love to be reviewers, YouTube personalities, etc. But with the volume of such people out there, we still tune in to the same relatively limited set of people for reviews (SUSD, Dice Tower, Rahdo, etc.).

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Got 7 Wonders Duel: Pantheon on the table last night. I really dug it! I've read mixed reviews about it but I thoroughly enjoyed the two games I played. The randomization of the Divinity tokens was cool, and the option to not draw a card really mixes it up a bit.

I'm wondering if there's a way to randomize where the Divinity/Offering tokens go, though, as I feel always placing them on the same cards is kinda meh. Can't wait to play it again with my partner and have her absolutely crush me, as is her style whenever she plays a new game with me.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

SlyFrog posted:

Just look at reviewers. There are so many game players out there that I'm sure would love to be reviewers, YouTube personalities, etc. But with the volume of such people out there, we still tune in to the same relatively limited set of people for reviews (SUSD, Dice Tower, Rahdo, etc.).
This is the main thing that made me stop reviewing. We'd publish well-written, in-depth reviews of new games and get 300 views if we were lucky, and then Tom Vasil would fart out a video on the same game and get 50,000.

And we started way back in 2010, when there were relatively few boardgame-specific websites out there. I can't imagine how difficult it is to find an audience now.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

WhiteHowler posted:

This is the main thing that made me stop reviewing. We'd publish well-written, in-depth reviews of new games and get 300 views if we were lucky, and then Tom Vasil would fart out a video on the same game and get 50,000.

And we started way back in 2010, when there were relatively few boardgame-specific websites out there. I can't imagine how difficult it is to find an audience now.

I feel like finding a niche to fill in board game media these days would be really hard.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

"Articulate/literate critical reviews"

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

SlyFrog posted:

That was genuinely interesting, thank you. I also can easily see how it applies to board games, and many other things.

That is how marketing works. Vasel markets better than other people, he also had the fortune to start reviewing early on. People have invented/created better stuff than what we use but they couldn't gain traction. If you're going to be a recognized reviewer at this point, you need to have a specific plan on how you are going to stand out from the gazillion other viewers. Having better reviews is just a start.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Hauki posted:

The "All the Games You Like are Bad" guy showed a lot of promise, but it's not hard to see why he stopped. It's got to be a ton harder to do what he did than what Vassal does, which is play a game twice, set up a 1-shot and just riff for 15 minutes.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Hauki posted:

Reviewer with the least B.O.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Probably why I like Rahdo far more then Tom. His reviews are pretty boring and his monotone voice (and face) are awful. Rahdo might do some dumb rear end mistakes but it's actually pretty funny rather then a facepalm moment. I also like how he plays a bit to get you into it then a extended play if it grabs my interest. Sometimes I can get into the game he's playing just because of the excitement in his voice. Plus he plays everything two player which is great for me.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

terebikun posted:

If they didn't create those idiotic single player scenarios*, I'd probably still be playing that bad game.

*The boss fights in the app.

Also, I played Shadow Hunters for the first time recently. It's basically Bang!, but somehow more random and takes longer to play through.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

This is exactly my star realms experience

Same. Also, I drag out about 1/3 of my games until I lock the AI into discarding his whole hand each turn and the deck is run out. I don't know why I do this.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

terebikun posted:

For the past few days, Jaipur has been that experience for me.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

terebikun posted:

Onitama - loving bust my head open. It reminds me of solving Chess or Go problems on constant rotation. Sort of like Twilight Struggle where I'm not actually sure if I'm having fun, but I'm completely engrossed.
Tak - Feels like an old classic. Don't think it would replace Go or Hive as my go-to abstracts, but an impressively slick design.
Tsuro - Charmingly simple abstract that I can actually see myself playing more of. One of the rare games an adult can play with a kid and both are having equal amounts of fun.
Machi Koro - whatever next
Valeria: Card Kingdoms - The definition of fine. Better than Machi Koro, but undeserving of the crazy praise it gets at my FLGS.
Fugitive - A 2 player hidden movement/deduction game that manages to be even shorter and simpler than Mr. Jack. I thought seeing all those numbers and the skeleton of the mechanic laid bare would put me off, but nope. Way into it.
Champions of Midgard - Was told it's like a better Lords of Waterdeep, but I've never played that. Felt a lot like Stone Age, but not complete poo poo. Didn't blow me away, but wouldn't mind playing again.
Hanamikoji - A neat variation on Battle Line with more actual pushing and pulling in the tug of war. Not sure if it's better, but the size of the Battle Line box makes me so crazy angry that gently caress it, Hanamikoji is better.
Niya - It's fine. A totally inoffensive Connect-Tac-Toe-em-up. I dunno it's fine. It's short and small and fun I guess. It's fine.
Takenoko - Wow I almost completely forgot I played this, and I guess that's a good enough description.
Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small - This game was pretty loving rad, even if having all those animeeples yet discs instead of worker meeples makes NO GODDAMN SENSE. Also doesn't seem like there's enough variability to justify buying the app which I was considering, and if I was gonna play a 2-player Agricola-like I'd prefer Brew Crafters, but still a very satisfying game in under a half hour. Horse Town USA
Kingdomino - This is some poo poo right here. Very nice indeed.
Odin's Ravens - Simple, quick, lovely, and don't feel the need to ever play it again.

Onitama is devious as hell. Such a simple but brain melting game. I love it.

Tak is a game that gets better and better the more you play, especially with the same person. It's so open that the game plays drastically differently as you both explore different strategies and counter play.

I'm really eager to try Hanamikoji. Would you say it has more mechanical depth than Battle Line with tactics cards or about the same?

Agricola ACBAS basically requires one or both expansions to not be a static game. With them though, it really opens up and becomes a full worker placement that we like more than the original.

Bad deck builders become much better in app form, where you can just plow through a game in 5 minutes or less. I've played a few thousand games of Ascension that way, and I think it's a much better game than Star Realms.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Played some more Antiquity and my first game of Lorenzo il Magnifico on Monday night, both 4P. I almost pulled out a Giorgio win for the first time, but came in along the wrong approach and probably a hair too slow. Lorenzo seems kind of cookie cutter Euro, but I'll be giving it another shot next week.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

CaptainRightful posted:

For the past few days, Jaipur has been that experience for me.
Did you play the physical game before the mobile version? It's widely regarded as one of the best light two-player games out there.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

WhiteHowler posted:

Did you play the physical game before the mobile version? It's widely regarded as one of the best light two-player games out there.

I haven't, but I can see how it would be really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

WhiteHowler posted:

I haven't. I'm sure it's easier to track your opponent's score in real life, which would help. I'm not a fan of hidden scoring--I like strategy games, not memory games. The app version seems to be 80% push-your-luck and 20% card-counting.