Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Panfilo posted:

So basically they get the Leper so high on crack he chops the planet in half.
Pretty much, yes. Also even then he didn't one-shot the boss, he just killed it from 70% health or whatever the threshold is so it never did its special gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
New dude's announced. http://www.pcgamer.com/darkest-dungeons-new-hero-revealed-as-the-flagellant/

quote:

The Flagellant is designed to push the envelope of Darkest Dungeon's Affliction System, the soul-grinding blend of stress, fear, paranoia, and other 'quirks' that can render stoic adventurers psychologically broken and even dangerous to their fellow dungeoneers. Because of his single-minded devotion, he cannot develop a virtue, and he's also restricted to a single affliction called "Rapturous," a form of berserking in which he does damage to both enemies and allies.

These mechanical complexities place him "on par with the Abomination," developer Red Hook Studios said, and "a rather tough hero to play well" because of his dependence on "a charged-up risk/reward dynamic." That's because the Flagellant is most effective when he's most badly wounded: The lower his health sinks, the more powerful his abilities become.

He receives huge buffs when at Death's Door, and has a greater resistance to it than other characters, so he can stay in that state longerand if he dies, he unleashes a final act of retribution, healing allies while stunning and damaging enemies, a noble sacrifice that might sometimes be more useful than keeping him breathing. Not for the faint of heart, then.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
I kind of enjoy the fact that the new character is both not a dedicated healer but also promotes Death's Door gambling. It's also a good thing that Red Hook balanced Deaths Door to be capped at what 80% after the Jester Exploits, cause this character would be OP if he could 100% resist it.

Now watch it be holy and hate the abomination as well, and I throw my computer out a window.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

I think theyre going to try and overcome the need for a dedicted healer with the vampirism trait/disease

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

i never realised the jester was old

most juggalos are young and foolish

If he was young he'd still be at the court loving hot babes

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Highwang posted:

Now watch it be holy and hate the abomination as well, and I throw my computer out a window.

It's called the Flagellant. What do you think

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
It would be so much more interesting if they just let religious characters party with Abom. Just add stress penalties and a bunch of custom barks. I want unique character interactions, not a flat out "no, I won't hang out with that guy, he sucks."

I wanna see an argument break out between the Flagellant and Abomination. Maybe if they got heated enough, they'd even attack each other. Or maybe they'd reject each others buffs while camping, or refuse to help one another in combat. There's all kinds of cool possibilities.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Aren't the Faithless / Godfearing perks supposed to affect religiousness, ?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
you would think so

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Flagellant gonna flagellate

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
New class isn't what I thought it'd be, but looks cool nonetheless. I'm a big fan of the Death's Door mechanic, so a class with new ways to interact with it is a definite plus.

Bogart posted:

Nope.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

quote:

The studio said the Flagellant's visual design was inspired by Rorschach from Watchmen, and pro wrestlers like 'Macho Man' Randy Savage and The Ultimate Warrior.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Do you guys pull positive traits off your dudes to minimize the risk of getting a trait you really like replaced? I was wondering if that's a thing.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
"Hulkamania, running wild."

"As the gods are my witness, the beast is cut in twain."

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

"SKRONK"

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

quote:

The studio said the Flagellant's visual design was inspired by Rorschach from Watchmen, and pro wrestlers like 'Macho Man' Randy Savage and The Ultimate Warrior.

CRIT! 28

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Igui65gY5M

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

new phone who dis posted:

Do you guys pull positive traits off your dudes to minimize the risk of getting a trait you really like replaced? I was wondering if that's a thing.

how do you pull positive traits off your dudes

e: as in, i don't know of any ways in which you can do that

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
You can only cement positive quirks, iirc.

e: B O N E S A W I S R E A D Y

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

how do you pull positive traits off your dudes

e: as in, i don't know of any ways in which you can do that

I had never even tried I was just wondering if there was a way to prevent good traits from being replaced.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

new phone who dis posted:

I had never even tried I was just wondering if there was a way to prevent good traits from being replaced.

You can lock up to 3 in the sanitarium. Cool detail : you can simultaneously lock a good quirk and remove a bad one!

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

New Flagellant Skill released: "Folding Chair"

The Flagellant sneaks a foreign object into the squared circle and swings mightily at the Target's head.

Range: Melee

Effect:
Stun (100% base)
+20% DMG vs COWARDS

Get Innocuous!
Dec 6, 2011

come together

Bogart posted:

houndmasters can have the fear of beasts quirk

Makaris
May 4, 2009
I'm not sure how I feel about the new class. The risk of being at deaths door is just too great. Sure you might be super strong and just smash the poo poo out of dungeon after dungeon... but one bad roll (and really a max 20% chance to fail isn't a long shot) and however much money and time is wasted.

I just really hope the vampire thing is an alternate mode of healing / de-stressing.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Honestly if they're doing this I feel like they need to push the max threshold for the resistance up to say 85-90% explicitly for this guy. He seems like he owns bones though.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i get the feeling we'll be working a dedicated guard with this cat, like he pairs well with MaA or dogman who can take the hits for him or some nonsense

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Get Innocuous! posted:

houndmasters can have the fear of beasts quirk

do not call the sweet pupper a beast

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Makaris posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about the new class. The risk of being at deaths door is just too great. Sure you might be super strong and just smash the poo poo out of dungeon after dungeon... but one bad roll (and really a max 20% chance to fail isn't a long shot) and however much money and time is wasted.

I just really hope the vampire thing is an alternate mode of healing / de-stressing.

The DD buffs are sweet (especially since they replace the usual penalties) but I doubt they're going to make or break the Flagellant, particularly since the healing portion of his kit will work just as well on or off DD. As long as they're just a nice perk instead of a mandatory feature I've got no beef with the idea.

Makaris
May 4, 2009

Straight White Shark posted:

The DD buffs are sweet (especially since they replace the usual penalties) but I doubt they're going to make or break the Flagellant, particularly since the healing portion of his kit will work just as well on or off DD. As long as they're just a nice perk instead of a mandatory feature I've got no beef with the idea.

Yeah the DD buffs seem good but not ultra critical. It does feature a +2 speed, so depending on the Flaggs base speed and if he has a self heal (I think so) you might be able to safely play closer to the edge then I'm currently giving credit for.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Depending on how it goes he takes damage, goes dd, attacks, then vestal goes and heals him

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
There are pretty bad stress penalties for hitting Death's Door, though, and considering the Flag has a special affliction that makes him hit friends and foes?

Makaris
May 4, 2009

Bogart posted:

There are pretty bad stress penalties for hitting Death's Door, though, and considering the Flag has a special affliction that makes him hit friends and foes?

Wait whosawhat? He attacks friendlies? Hmm...

I gotta try to have a bit more faith. I know I'm gonna have fun using him, I'm just dubious if he's going to actually be very good. Granted, I haven't even played with em yet, so I'm gonna stop speculating. Don't want to poison my own well.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Makaris posted:

Wait whosawhat? He attacks friendlies?

Only while afflicted, same as everyone else.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Nobody else actually damages allies while afflicted, only stresses them out. Masochistic can cause characters to damage themselves, but that's it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hot take: The Flagellant sounds hella lame.

Makaris
May 4, 2009
Okay I assumed he meant attacks, like, physically. Not there feelings. That's not as big a deal.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Hot take: The Flagellant sounds hella lame.

It's neat, but doesn't sound like it'll do anything to balance out current roster dynamics so I'm not jazzes

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Maybe Plague Doctor and Flagellant will be an awesome combo?

PD purges Blight/Bleed, and provides just enough healing to keep the Flagellant alive. They could ride the line of Death's Door to exploit his strength. It's high risk-high reward, but it might be powerful.

Flagellant with Martyr's Seal (+75% DMG at Death's Door, +9% CRT at Death's Door, +12% Death Blow Resist, -2 DODGE) may become his go-to trinket. The Unyielding quirk (+10% Death Blow Resist) would also help him a lot, too.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

It's neat, but doesn't sound like it'll do anything to balance out current roster dynamics so I'm not jazzes

A lot depends on the mechanics behind the "Redeem" skill shown off in the trailer. It shows an insanely meaty double target heal--but he's using it at Death's Door, so I'm guessing there's some kind of interaction that makes those numbers dependent on DD status. If he can function as a competent frontline healer without having to risk random permadeath it would do a lot to open up team comps, but that depends on him having that heal be worthwhile even off of DD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Should just be called RNG Tempter