Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Eltoasto posted:

Sure but if the boss of our troops says to do nothing and watch KSA occupy the place, won't they follow the humiliating orders?

Invading risks killing Americans or blowing up our stuff by mistake in the cross-fire, which is a very bad idea even when the President isn't a literal child who might lose his temper and lash out at the perceived slight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ok, nevermind then. If none of you think it will actually come up anywhere serious, I'm satisfied.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

evilweasel posted:

Invading risks killing Americans or blowing up our stuff by mistake in the cross-fire, which is a very bad idea even when the President isn't a literal child who might lose his temper and lash out at the perceived slight.

Also, you know, the invaders would be the Saudi army.

They have a long and storied history of extreme competence and professionalism right.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

evilweasel posted:

There is no way an invasion of Qatar ends well or without American bloodshed.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Somedays I wake up and remember that no matter how doomed we all are, at least I never joined the armed forces. Ah, the little things

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Ok, nevermind then. If none of you think it will actually come up anywhere serious, I'm satisfied.

Newsweek is already covering it, so I'm sure it will get some press (expect a slate piece about how actually it was better for the prisoners) but it just won't matter.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/872501428387971072
https://twitter.com/KailiJoy/status/872497629661417472

Dang those are some white people.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/872499419949797376
(Robert Reich)

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/872500981329743872
Re: announcement of Wray.

https://twitter.com/Mikel_Jollett/status/872494611238838273
https://twitter.com/JasperAvi/status/872495114890989569

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Those look like some real bad numbers for Donny.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

botany posted:

I have a hard time believing that Republicans will try to skewer Clinton over something that their base most likely sees no problem with, unless in a "liberals are hypocrites" sort of way. Also who gives a poo poo if they do, Clinton should stay out of politics anyway.

Some goatee at the National Review will probably chortle about it, and maybe a few Pepes will make some related memes. The only real angle for them is "look at those radical leftists tarring Communist Clinton for not virtue signaling enough," or some poo poo.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Night10194 posted:

Not until they translate into the GOP getting cold feet.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Qatar basically has 24 hours to make 10 insane damands happen or else and turkey is moving in troops to defend Qatar. War could happen in the next 24 hours.

Which would be dumb, because Saudi Arabia doesn't need to attack Qatar to make them have a really, really bad time. If they feel particularly ballsy they could try to blockade Doha entirely though, which does have a chance of escalation. :toot:

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Of course Trump immediately brings up election results

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

"So called Paris accord"

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Night10194 posted:

I don't know why they keep doing these polls, these are the only numbers that count:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Considering how idiotic the demands are and how they essentially spell out "Do whatever we want in the future or else", essentially turning them into a vassal, there is no way anyone would agree to those demands.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

arbybaconator posted:

"So called Paris accord"

hahaha did he really say that? "some say it's called that, but i disagree"

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Glazier posted:

I don't know why they keep doing these polls, these are the only numbers that count:

Because its what these companies do and they've done them weekly/monthly for decades?

Or should we just pretend that no one is getting sick and tired of him becuase congressional republicans have no balls/ovaries?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Night10194 posted:

https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/872504008564408322
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/872503524738945026
https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/872504423293038592

https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/872504566431887360
:thunk: projecting much???

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

The Glumslinger posted:

Because its what these companies do and they've done them weekly/monthly for decades?

Or should we just pretend that no one is getting sick and tired of him because congressional republicans have no balls/ovaries?

I think everyone knows the country is sick of him. My point was simply that all the time spent reporting on these polls and speculating on if they will make a difference is pointless.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Donald "President" Trump

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/RudawEnglish/status/872501578263035906
:stare:

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Zat posted:

Donald "President" Trump

I lol'd when he said that. So awkward.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Glazier posted:

You are right of course. It doesn't matter that the president is so unpopular when the Senate and the House can just jam through whatever legislation they want at any time. Any minute now....

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Glazier posted:

I think everyone knows the country is sick of him. My point was simply that all the time spent reporting on these polls and speculating on if they will make a difference is pointless.

Speculating on most things is pointless, if you think about it.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

The Glumslinger posted:

Or should we just pretend that no one is getting sick and tired of him becuase congressional republicans have no balls/ovaries?

I think we need a weekly poll of house reps so we know when the balance changes immediately.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Glazier posted:

The polls don't make a difference, they measure changes in the attitude of the public. Having that data is better than not.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Nothing is going to happen.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Glazier posted:

I think everyone knows the country is sick of him.

I think everyone "knows" that because of the polling

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Glazier posted:

Are you secretly Donald trump? Are you going to go tweet that polls don't matter, and it's all fake news anyway and instead of focusing on how unpopular you are they need to focus on how powerful you are?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Are you secretly Donald trump? Are you going to go tweet that polls don't matter, and it's all fake news anyway and instead of focusing on how unpopular you are they need to focus on how powerful you are?

Maybe it's just my depression creeping but it honestly feels like, and I say this with complete sincerely, nothing matters. Why are we still bothering to get up in the morning and go to work? Why am I bothering to do things I don't want to do when American society is about to end? It just feels like everyday could be the last one.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3

Symbolic gesture, it seems. Turkey supports Qatar, but no one has declared war on Qatar or is trying to invade, so it's just hot air.

e: Also, is anyone expecting anything from the closed hearings later?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Glazier is a white noise posting sadbrains who thinks Trump is invincible.

Congressional seats don't change until there are elections? You don't loving say!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Hollismason posted:

Half of the middle east cuts off relations with Qatar
Iran blames Saudi Arabia for a terrorist attack
Turkey approves a troop deployment

And you think this is all just bluster?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Glazier posted:

Maybe it's just my depression creeping but it honestly feels like, and I say this with complete sincerely, nothing matters. Why are we still bothering to get up in the morning and go to work? Why am I bothering to do things I don't want to do when American society is about to end? It just feels like everyday could be the last one.

Go outside. Politics is extremely slow

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Hollismason posted:

That's what I scratched into the fortified door of my basement bunker

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Glazier posted:

Get help (before the AHCA goes into effect)

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan

The Glumslinger posted:

Worth noting that in this case Turkey is sending troops to support Qatar.

EndTimesProfit
Jul 1, 2004

Don't worry son, it's just the Smilin' Mighty Jesus!

Glazier posted:

The only thing that matters is good wine, good food, your significant other(s) and dogs.

gently caress everything else.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Skippy Granola posted:

That's what I scratched into the fortified door of my basement bunker

Fortunately I live in a first strike city so I should never know something went wrong. I just hate to be wasting time at work when I could be doing something I want to do when the bombs drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

The Glumslinger posted:

Yes.

A War would hurt profits.