Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Also, the XKCD guy released that Thing Explainer book, which seems genuinely clever and useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Hogge Wild posted:

and it's much harder to masturbate to stickwomen

Hold my beer and watch this.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

PMush Perfect posted:

Also, the XKCD guy released that Thing Explainer book, which seems genuinely clever and useful.

I'll give him that, but there's times where he's obviously getting way too high on his own farts and it feels like the majority of comics are that.

Though you could argue (and I'd accept) that XKCD is one of those comics that if you get the joke, it's great, but if it's something you don't get right away, it feels needlessly dense.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
has no scrying died for good?

it was a good comic

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Hogge Wild posted:

That's where you are wrong

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Hogge Wild posted:

has no scrying died for good?

it was a good comic

It seems to be gone and this makes me sad.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

iospace posted:

I'll give him that, but there's times where he's obviously getting way too high on his own farts and it feels like the majority of comics are that.

Though you could argue (and I'd accept) that XKCD is one of those comics that if you get the joke, it's great, but if it's something you don't get right away, it feels needlessly dense.

it's narrowly targeted to horrible nerds in cake is a lie t-shirts, so you should feel good about yourself for not liking it, but it's crap being executed well in all the ways Dresden Codak is executed crappily, crappy crap

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

PMush Perfect posted:

He also did those "What Ifs" that were a lot of fun. The comic itself is whatever, but Munroe's an alright guy.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, as an aside, general webcomic gripe:

I hate it when you can't click on the actual page to advance the comic, though that's rare to find these days.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've grown to appreciate it when I read on my tablet, because then you can still read the alt-text if there isn't a link that gets in the way.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

iospace posted:

XKCD is targetted at a handful of specific audiences, which generally amount to "people who like the same things that Randall Munroe likes". (Computers, math, logic, etc.) In other words, he basically just makes a comic about his favorite stuff three times a week and hopes other people will come along with it. So far, considering that XKCD is one of the most popular webcomics (by some measures, literally the most popular), it seems to be working pretty well for him.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Hogge Wild posted:

Randal Munroe does a pretty loving good job of it.

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??
Webcomic finding time:

What was the name of a fantasy webcomic where in the first chapter some guys manipulate a town into attacking a rich persons caravan? A wizard shrinks a sword down to a molecular level and a guard goes all Saturn Devouring His Son on some fairies. The art was real good?

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

Ruptured Yakety Sax posted:

Webcomic finding time:

What was the name of a fantasy webcomic where in the first chapter some guys manipulate a town into attacking a rich persons caravan? A wizard shrinks a sword down to a molecular level and a guard goes all Saturn Devouring His Son on some fairies. The art was real good?

Basileus, I think

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??

Yeah that's the one.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
:stonklol:

Nice to see that comic is still super loving creepy in its content and art style...

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

idonotlikepeas posted:

XKCD is targetted at a handful of specific audiences, which generally amount to "people who like the same things that Randall Munroe likes". (Computers, math, logic, etc.) In other words, he basically just makes a comic about his favorite stuff three times a week and hopes other people will come along with it. So far, considering that XKCD is one of the most popular webcomics (by some measures, literally the most popular), it seems to be working pretty well for him.

Actually, it's targeted at a general audience of people who want to seem smart. I can understand why you, as a webcomic reader, would make such a basic mistake.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
for stem people anyway, people into sophomore-level literary analysis have to settle for posting on sa about how they're above it all

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Tollymain posted:

for stem people anyway, people into sophomore-level literary analysis have to settle for posting on sa about how they're above it all

lol you're angry over webcomics

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nah i find your posting tiresome everywhere

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
A forums grudge is actually even worse than being angry over webcomics.

Why don't you read a good webcomic? It's pretty inspiring:

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jun 8, 2017

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
tollymain is one of my favourite posters itt

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
We can all be webcomics friends :)

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

We can all be webcomics friends :)

agreed

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

A forums grudge is actually even worse than being angry over webcomics.

Why don't you read a good webcomic? It's pretty inspiring:

don't read xkcd its self fellating bullshit read this its much better

- a dumb idiot

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
You shouldn't be able to post a zen pencils comic without a :nms: warning

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Motherfucker posted:

don't read xkcd its self fellating bullshit read this its much better

- a dumb idiot

whoa, do you hate webcomics or something?

e: Maybe you should consider T.R. Roosevelt's words:

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jun 8, 2017

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I do now!!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
The only good ZenPencils is the one about the little girl idolizing Ultimate Warrior that replaced all the text with Warrior's more colorful political opinions.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

JethroMcB posted:

The only good ZenPencils is the one about the little girl idolizing Ultimate Warrior that replaced all the text with Warrior's more colorful political opinions.

counterpoint, DrilPencils was great while it lasted

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

JethroMcB posted:

Post it. I always like to combine my twin passions of wrestling scandel and webcomics.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

counterpoint, DrilPencils was great while it lasted

True, DrilPencils is extremely good because Dril + anything seems to work

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Yessss

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

JethroMcB posted:

The only good ZenPencils is the one someone made with "EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAP".

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the only good zen pencils is the one where Hayao Miyazaki gets in a mech suit and destroys all of Gavin's internet #haters, unedited

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

My favorite Zen Pencils is the (unedited) one where a guy abandons his family and job to be a Game of Thrones cosplayer living in the woods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my favorite timelines are the ones where the zenpencils guy never possessed the ambition and work ethic to create poorly thought-out comics and put them on the interweb

• Locked thread