Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Cnut the Great posted:

Of course, Mike was just as stupid as Walt in this instance. Mike and Walt really aren't so different.

Mike was initially ready and willing to skip town as soon as they realized the laptop was filed into evidence, but Jessie convinced him to stay and help with the magnet. Mike's just an old softie when it came to the "kid." :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

drunken officeparty posted:

They sit in the front of a publicly open resteraunt. What if someone or a cop or something comes in for a burrito.

"Don't mind me and my big ol bag of money"

Cops are cowards. It's not like they are going to pick a fight with someone they know can fight back as opposed to random PoCs on the street or (when they are feeling particularly virtuous) low level drug dealers.

Why would they pick a fight with someone who can actually fight back? If they wanted to do something like that, they wouldn't be cops.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Aliquid posted:

Stupid Spanish didn't get the episode this week, looks like. rrrrgh i'm jonesin'

I couldn't watch the leaked Spanish episode 8 since it seemed like they sped it up for more ad time or something.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
It's overwhelmingly likely the cops and DEA know exactly who they are and what they're doing in that taco place. Nothing provably illegal happens there and the dealers are probably under strict instructions not to have any drugs on them when they meet. It's more valuable to the authorities as a place Hector or Nacho are predictably at every week; if they ever have enough other evidence to prosecute, they know where to pick them up. Raiding the place in any other circumstances just inconveniences the drug crew and makes them change their venue.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Shbobdb posted:

Cops are cowards. It's not like they are going to pick a fight with someone they know can fight back as opposed to random PoCs on the street or (when they are feeling particularly virtuous) low level drug dealers.

Why would they pick a fight with someone who can actually fight back? If they wanted to do something like that, they wouldn't be cops.

Dude it's not like I disagree with the political point you're making about police abuses in this country but no, it's actually not really plausible that the cops wouldn't bust some dudes doing obvious drug deals out in the open in the front of a restaurant. The reason it's done this way in the show is because it makes for a better setpiece and you're supposed to suspend your disbelief.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Cnut the Great posted:

Dude it's not like I disagree with the political point you're making about police abuses in this country but no, it's actually not really plausible that the cops wouldn't bust some dudes doing obvious drug deals out in the open in the front of a restaurant. The reason it's done this way in the show is because it makes for a better setpiece and you're supposed to suspend your disbelief.

Javid said what I was going to.

When I was a kid we all knew where the shops in the game were. I find it somewhere between hard to impossible to believe that cops wouldn't know where they are either.

Cops are cowards and aren't going to gently caress up poo poo like that when they can just kill some black kid on the street. Kids don't shoot back.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Shbobdb posted:

Javid said what I was going to.

When I was a kid we all knew where the shops in the game were. I find it somewhere between hard to impossible to believe that cops wouldn't know where they are either.

Cops are cowards and aren't going to gently caress up poo poo like that when they can just kill some black kid on the street. Kids don't shoot back.

Okay I stand corrected.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Not even necessarily a matter of 'cowardice' and Nacho and Don Hector 'fighting back' but just the simple fact that they can go in there and confiscate the bag of money, sure, but all it means is now the meets will be somewhere else, with more secrecy, and all the Cops get out of it is a single confiscated bag of money that isn't, by itself, enough to lead to actual charges.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

They might not even get that; unless ABQ has civil asset forfeiture, they can't just take it without any evidence it was drug proceeds.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Shbobdb posted:

Lol get the gently caress out

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Mike's a coward and he was a cop so...

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Kuiperdolin posted:

Mike's a coward and he was a cop so...

This is true. Mike's son's story puts a whole new spin on the old saying, "The only good cop is a dead cop." Instead of cops simply being unable to be good (and thus, only good when they are dead) normal cops actively kill the one good cop they encounter.

It's got a great magical realism to it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The new leaked trailer for next week is loving intense!

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jun 7, 2017

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Last Chance posted:

Mike was initially ready and willing to skip town as soon as they realized the laptop was filed into evidence, but Jessie convinced him to stay and help with the magnet. Mike's just an old softie when it came to the "kid." :(

Mike just can't refuse to participate in an elaborate plan.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Tree Dude posted:

They like to shoot Mike doing tedious things in an artsy way. Digging, taking a car apart......... probably some other stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqL77G2x61E

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I always wondered how big was the hard drive on Gus's laptop and how much video it had stored

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I loving love this show, and think it is better than breaking bad, at least at times. These last two episodes though.... I don't know. Need a couple of really good ones to close the season I think.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

needs more violence imo

ricro
Dec 22, 2008

oliwan posted:

I loving love this show, and think it is better than breaking bad, at least at times. These last two episodes though.... I don't know. Need a couple of really good ones to close the season I think.

They definitely blew their wad a bit in having the big McGill vs McGill climax like halfway through the season, but I'm sure they'll come up with some good stuff for the next two

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Last Chance posted:

Except when Gus wanted to kill Jesse, something Mike seems to conveniently forget later when berating Walt for not following orders.

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

Cnut the Great posted:

You actually see an explanation of specifically why cops don't immediately do this in the first season of the Wire.

They know where the drugs are being dealt, it's all pretty obvious to everyone. They can bust in and bust some low-level guys and HOPE a small charge sticks. (With no priors, they barely get probation for a small deal), or they can observe and build a much larger case that actually affects the drug business in some meaningful and shuts down major players. Like they say "The top guys never even touch the drugs, they way you get them is on the phone with their voice saying something".

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

Except when Gus wanted to kill Jesse, something Mike seems to conveniently forget later when berating Walt for not following orders.

Well, I guess Mike didn't always like or care for Jesse. Jesse was initially a huge problem for Gus and co. and they wanted him out of the picture (although did Mike actually ever have orders to kill Jesse?). After working directly with Jesse on dead drops, helping him stay clean, and seeing how Jesse could actually do good work, you get the sense that Jesse earned some loyalty from Mike and that there's some real affection there.

That probably helped convince him to go along with Walt and Jesse's magnet scheme

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Shbobdb posted:

Shbobdb posted:

yeah bro FTP

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jun 7, 2017

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Last Chance posted:

Well, I guess Mike didn't always like or care for Jesse. Jesse was initially a huge problem for Gus and co. and they wanted him out of the picture (although did Mike actually ever have orders to kill Jesse?). After working directly with Jesse on dead drops, helping him stay clean, and seeing how Jesse could actually do good work, you get the sense that Jesse earned some loyalty from Mike and that there's some real affection there.

Yeah I just always thought it funny that *after* that, Mike is berating Walt for not "doing what he's told" which would be to kill Jesse for wanting to protect kids. I don't think it's necessarily a hole or anything, just Mike literally conveniently forgetting it (because at that moment Walt's plan was not going so well and his family's well-being was at stake). Mike's world view seems ill-defined overall.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Nail Rat posted:

Yeah I just always thought it funny that *after* that, Mike is berating Walt for not "doing what he's told" which would be to kill Jesse for wanting to protect kids. I don't think it's necessarily a hole or anything, just Mike literally conveniently forgetting it (because at that moment Walt's plan was not going so well and his family's well-being was at stake). Mike's world view seems ill-defined overall.
This is part of the brilliance of the writing staff. Walt not doing what he was told brought down Gus's entire empire, which hosed everything up for Mike. So I can see why he would go on such a tirade.

Mike not killing Jesse didn't have as much of a blowback as Walt not knowing his place.

However, a lot of what Walt did was to help Jesse (if I recall his relationship with Gus became strained after he hit those two drug dealers before Jesse could get himself killed).

Though I'm sure we could go back and forth on this all day and I don't think anyone would be wrong regardless of which stance they take, which I think it a testament to the writing staff.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

Yeah I just always thought it funny that *after* that, Mike is berating Walt for not "doing what he's told" which would be to kill Jesse for wanting to protect kids.

Well, more like Gus told Walt essentially: "let this crazy junkie kid go... even if he's pulling a gun on a couple of drug dealers.. stay out of it, let me handle them for killing kids" which I guess is kind of like "kill Jesse"? Unless I'm missing a part of the story where Gus tells Walt or Mike to directly kill Jesse.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I still think that if Walt kept his head down after the box cutter, not put Hank back on the trail, and kept Jesse loyal to him by not being a horrible rear end in a top hat, he would have been fine.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

As I recall, Walt pulled his gangmember-flattening act, Walt training Gail while Jesse was kept out of the picture and went into hiding with the help of Saul while Mike and co. hunted him to no avail. Then it Gail was ready, they take Walt on The Walk to the lab, he manages to use a phone to call Jesse because he tells Mike something along the lines of 'He was always the problem, right? I'll get him for you!' like he was desperate not to get killed right there. Uses that call to have Jesse pop Gail, after which we have the basement scene. Then Gus tries to wedge Jesse and Walt apart via Mike since I'm sure he figures Jesse is more easily controlled than a maniac like Walt, and knows how to cook, but also doesn't think him an idiot. Has Mike test this theory. Causes Mike to warm to him.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

Karmine posted:

We don't know, but there's also the third option of him being strongarmed into it like Hector wants to do to Nacho's dad. As minor a character as he is, it's a question worth asking. Christ for all I know he could be an undercover cop.

I'm now weirdly hoping that he becomes a pivotal part of some sort of storyline or plot twist because we know nothing about him.

More likely he's being strongarmed, and if that's the case, he could turn out to be a valuable ally for Nacho when the medical emergency takes place.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I still think that if Walt kept his head down after the box cutter, not put Hank back on the trail, and kept Jesse loyal to him by not being a horrible rear end in a top hat, he would have been fine.

Gus wanted Walt dead. As soon as Gale could make his supermeth, Walt was going to die. He's way too much of a loose cannon for Gus's operation.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Shbobdb posted:

Gus wanted Walt dead. As soon as Gale could make his supermeth, Walt was going to die. He's way too much of a loose cannon for Gus's operation.

Remember when Jesse was initially too much of a loose cannon for Gus's operation? I guess you could say that turned out to be true though but Gus kind of missed the mark on that analysis.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Everybody falls for Jesse. Except for Hank what a prick

Loyalty is an incredibly persuasive quality

Spellman fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 7, 2017

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Jesse can be controlled though. He's got issues with substance use but he was cleaning himself up on that front. Low initiative and loyal is a great combo for a low level person in pretty much any operation, legal or illegal. Walt's hubris, on the other hand, was going to make working with him impossible at some point, probably sooner rather than later. Walt is dangerous whereas Jesse just isn't.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Nacho wants to protect his Dad, isn't it a bit of a stretch to dress him up as an enforcer with a heart of gold?

That said - Mando is poo poo hot and I'm glad he's capitalised on his awesome turn as Vaas in Far Cry 3. He has a naturally intimidating look but he's done a great job as Nacho (well, thanks to the writers too).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

So because Nacho isn't around in Breaking Bad, and in last week's episode Mike prominently emphasized replacing the pills after Hector takes them and gets hosed up...it seems pretty clear that the reverse-switch isn't going to go quite as smoothly and Nacho's gonna be in deep poo poo, right?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Sagebrush posted:

So because Nacho isn't around in Breaking Bad, and in last week's episode Mike prominently emphasized replacing the pills after Hector takes them and gets hosed up...it seems pretty clear that the reverse-switch isn't going to go quite as smoothly and Nacho's gonna be in deep poo poo, right?

Nacho might just want to get the gently caress out of dodge, really.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sagebrush posted:

Not saying this show is being formulaic or anything, but it seems like a pretty common story pattern:

1) a scheme has two difficult parts to pull off
2) you have a tense scene showing the first difficult part (i.e. "breaking into the bank"), which comes close to failing, but succeeds
3) you have another tense scene showing the second difficult part ("escaping from the bank"), which fails climactically

So yeah, purely from what we've seen from the setup and how tensely the "break-in" phase was handled, I think it's safe to say the reverse-switch will go to poo poo.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Was it ever specified what the nitro was replaced with?

If it's some kind of poison instead, why not just replace exactly one pill with it? Even if he doesn't take it immediately, there's no evidence of tampering in the rest of the bottle when he gets to it and croaks. Even something like cyanide won't be obvious if the dude's in the middle of a stroke already.

If it's just sugar or something, then I get making sure the entire bottle is swapped, because one sugar pill when he takes a fistful won't matter much.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
It was Ibuprofen I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oliwan posted:

It was Ibuprofen I think?

Yes, the bottle is clearly shown.

And I think Nacho is in trouble. He can't run because his dad would be in trouble, he can't quit because then it's still too suspicious. Tuco's still coherent enough to track him down.

• Locked thread