Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Veryslightlymad posted:

I remember I once had a random scenario generator that just made a bunch of randomly sized countries at the start, and I kind of wanted to play a game on that. Does any such thing still exist? I can't seem to find one on the workshop.

I believe the HIP still has a setting when you start a game to turn everyone into independent counts/dukes/kings, for something similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Use shattered world and just observe for 100 years

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
There is the ck2 generator which generates a new history and cultures from scratch.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
So I'm playing as Mercia in the Charlemagne start. First guy died pretty early, leaving his daughter in charge. I arranged a matrilineal marriage to one of the younger Karlings, they started pumping out heirs, and all was golden.

The queen died, her son took over, and it was pretty much business as usual. But then I looked at his portrait, I noticed that his father was now the King of Austrasia, and I'm apparently due to inherit. Problem is, he's seventy, broke, and currently fighting four wars, so I'm going to be inheriting an absolute clusterfuck, and I kinda just wanted to run a smaller game so I could mess around with Monks and Mystics. One part of me wants to start over, seeing as it's only a little after 800, and the other wants to see what kind of insanity comes out of this. Is there any conceivable situation where it goes smoothly?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Crow Jane posted:

So I'm playing as Mercia in the Charlemagne start. First guy died pretty early, leaving his daughter in charge. I arranged a matrilineal marriage to one of the younger Karlings, they started pumping out heirs, and all was golden.

The queen died, her son took over, and it was pretty much business as usual. But then I looked at his portrait, I noticed that his father was now the King of Austrasia, and I'm apparently due to inherit. Problem is, he's seventy, broke, and currently fighting four wars, so I'm going to be inheriting an absolute clusterfuck, and I kinda just wanted to run a smaller game so I could mess around with Monks and Mystics. One part of me wants to start over, seeing as it's only a little after 800, and the other wants to see what kind of insanity comes out of this. Is there any conceivable situation where it goes smoothly?

Even if it does go poorly, all that really means is that your territory gets chopped down until you're back to being small. Hell, you could even give the title away if you don't mind being a vassal.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
My only concern are the succession laws. I just managed to switch to Primogeniture, and I'm afraid it'll be back to Gavelkind when I inherit, with the added bonus of all my subjects hating me due to the fact I'm a foreigner. Plus I'd given his mom the seduction focus, which means he has a *lot* of brothers who will probably also inherit. Guess I'll see how bad it gets when I fire it up later. Been a while since I've played as a mainland European ruler, could be interesting.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Daandrah posted:

The Khans are Christians, England has taken Bulgeria, the aztecs are in Africa and france is slowly being taken by the Holy Roman Empire.

Love this randomness.

My last couple of games the Aztecs landed at Marrakesh and Cornwall, and then decided to ignore Europe entirely and make a beeline towards Egypt. In one of my savegames they're currently duking it out with the Abbasids over Syria, of all places. :psyduck:

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010
Has anyone tried taking Byzantium through the Rome decisions while secretly some other religion yet? Is it possible to form Rome and then reveal yourself to be a Germanic Pagan? I'm feeling the urge for another Dyre the Stranger game

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
I've downloaded a mod that lets me play as the pope and call crusades, but I was wondering if there was a way to remove the restrictions on calling crusades specifically the start date and the cooldown between crusades. I don't know the first thing about self-modding the game, but if someone can point me in the right direction I can probably figure things out.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Two Beans posted:

I've downloaded a mod that lets me play as the pope and call crusades, but I was wondering if there was a way to remove the restrictions on calling crusades specifically the start date and the cooldown between crusades. I don't know the first thing about self-modding the game, but if someone can point me in the right direction I can probably figure things out.

Crusades are unlocked by event, putting "event 39660" into the console will manually trigger it. The file to mod for this is \Crusader Kings II\events\religious_events.txt under the heading "# THE START OF THE CHRISTIAN CRUSADES - 1090 AND JERUSALEM NOT CHRISTIAN" - set the Trigger year and the Mean time to happen to whatever you like.

Hopefully someone else can tell you how to change the cooldown.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Rumda posted:

There is the ck2 generator which generates a new history and cultures from scratch.

:staredog:

Thank you. Also, drat you.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

hexal posted:

The king of Italy died with no heirs. His sister Irmengarde was dead while Gisele was still alive. Inheritance law is gavelkind. Outside inheritance is not restricted in either realm. Why did Kyros inherit instead of Louis?

Where Gisele's kids landed before the King of Italy died?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Hey I don't play this game much, but I have to ask, is it common for random pagan adventurers to show up and conquer Rome? Cus that just happened to me.

He renamed it Rom and everything.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Pavlov posted:

Hey I don't play this game much, but I have to ask, is it common for random pagan adventurers to show up and conquer Rome? Cus that just happened to me.

It happens occasionally, but they usually end up losing it without player intervention.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

:perfect:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Pavlov posted:

This happened to me in a recent game. He was stuck in a unwinnable war against the remains of the papacy for a few decades because the Pope had become unlanded so the pagan guy's army would just wander around Europe never managing to get more warscore.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Pavlov posted:

It happens. Especially when you are the pagan adventurer.

Speaking of . . .

Is there a way to modify CK2plus+RAW (not sure which is causing the issue) to make low religious authority cause heresies again as opposed to reverting back to the pagan faith of their forefathers?

In a recent game I was able to press a claim against the Abbassids to get a Christian woman on the throne and the Abyssinians (without any help from me) took Mecca. Sunni was at a whopping 5% moral authority for a while. It eventually recovered. That's the problem. Since everybody just went pagan as opposed to heretic, Sunni quickly recovered. There is a larger Shiite presence but it's not that dramatic.

Worse was another game where me pagan conquered Rome and grinded Chalcedonianism down to zero moral authority. Hellenics in the Mediterranean was cool and all but again, it quickly recovered. I'd rather a fragmented map of lollards and cathars and anything and everything else tearing the Karlings apart and making the future a very different kind of thunderdome.

Advice?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Shbobdb posted:

Is there a way to modify CK2plus+RAW (not sure which is causing the issue) to make low religious authority cause heresies again as opposed to reverting back to the pagan faith of their forefathers?

That's a CK2+ feature, but it only happens at REALLY low religious authority, requiring either:
-less than 40% MA and a lunatic AI ruler
-less than 20% MA and an AI ruler with a demesne province that's already pagan
-less than 10% MA and an AI ruler

(player rulers do this via the Seeking Ancient Knowledge event chain instead)

Low religious authority should just cause heresies otherwise, and I'm not sure why the main religion's MA is recovering either. All the factors that made it low in the FIRST place should still be around. Lost Holy War/Ruler Converted From/Province Converted eventually expires, yeah, but they should be rolling over to new loss/conversion penalties unless the main religion has run out of stuff to lose. Not to mention not having all their holy sites.

If you want to mod it out completely, though, just remove all the gone_pagan_* decisions in decisions\CK2Plus_conversion_decisions.txt.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 8, 2017

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

FreudianSlippers posted:

This happened to me in a recent game. He was stuck in a unwinnable war against the remains of the papacy for a few decades because the Pope had become unlanded so the pagan guy's army would just wander around Europe never managing to get more warscore.

A mod was involved then, or else there were literally no landowning Catholics left in the world, because the pope is hardcoded to never be unlanded. If he loses his last title he just takes one from somebody. Or At Least That's How It Used To Work.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
Got the game last night, along with some of the DLCs, and have few questions:

- How do you become bff with the Pope? I'm in relatively good terms with him (15) and have 300 piety, yet he still refuses to help me with anything.
- Why the gently caress does everyone refuse my vassalization requests?
- Is there a way to make make your bishops like the Pope less?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Castor Poe posted:

- How do you become bff with the Pope? I'm in relatively good terms with him (15) and have 300 piety, yet he still refuses to help me with anything.

- Send your holy dude to Rome with the "increase relations with religious leader" or whatever it's called. It isn't guaranteed and kind of a crapshoot but he'll sometimes raise relations with religious leaders wherever he is which can include the Pope. Otherwise you have to get +Church Opinion traits.
- Hover over the "no" to see the opinions. You should be two ranks over somebody, far more powerful, the same religion, and the same culture. You can never vassalize kings peacefully as they get the "---------------- - -- ---- - - - - - - - -- - ------- I AM A KING!!!! ---- - ---- - ------" malus. But really you probably can't do it much (or at all) if you're a duke and you can generally only do it with people nearby who are the same as you and a lot weaker. Different culture doesn't always make it impossible but different religion does. Different culture does make it difficult though. De jure also affects it; it's harder to peacefully vassalize people you aren't supposed to be over. Like the king of Norway is going to have a hard time convincing somebody in Ireland if they don't have that kingdom. However, an emperor of Scandinavia who doesn't hold the kingdom of Norway can probably still snag Norwegians.
- No. Well I guess you could use your chancellor to sow dissent and it might work maybe? There's no real way to do it.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jun 9, 2017

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Castor Poe posted:

Vassalize him

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Eric the Mauve posted:

A mod was involved then, or else there were literally no landowning Catholics left in the world, because the pope is hardcoded to never be unlanded. If he loses his last title he just takes one from somebody. Or At Least That's How It Used To Work.

It might have been some strange bug because I had no mods going at the time.

If I remember correctly he was actually in a revolt against he pope which would mean he conquered Rome, swore fealty to the Pope and then rebelled against him. Why the Pope had no holdings and how he couldn't win the war was probably just the result of a few bugs colliding and the game not knowing how to handle them so it didn't bother.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

FreudianSlippers posted:

It might have been some strange bug because I had no mods going at the time.

If I remember correctly he was actually in a revolt against he pope which would mean he conquered Rome, swore fealty to the Pope and then rebelled against him. Why the Pope had no holdings and how he couldn't win the war was probably just the result of a few bugs colliding and the game not knowing how to handle them so it didn't bother.

The Paulician Patriach gives me guff when he has no territory but keeps declaring war. I just kidnap him and win the war or wait a while and grant him white peace.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Castor Poe posted:

- Park your chancellor and/or court chaplain in Rome to improve relations
- Independent rulers will only voluntarily become vassals under very specific conditions. They need to be two out of three of these: same culture, two ranks below you, holder of a title that is de jure part of a title you hold. They also need to be significantly less powerful than you, share your religion, and have a good opinion of you.
- You can use your spymaster to try to spread rumors about the Pope, although that's kind of iffy. Popes tend to be old and turn over pretty quickly. Generally speaking, if you're catholic, you'll have to get used to the fact that half your bishops don't want to pay you any taxes; it's one of the major drawbacks of the religion.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
Ok so, I managed to get 100 friendship points with the Pope and that fucker still refuses to help me get claims or excommunicate rivals. I basically spent 40 in game years sucking up to him for nothing. I have 1322 piety points. He should be eating out of my rear end in a top hat at this point. What am I doing wrong?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Castor Poe posted:

Ok so, I managed to get 100 friendship points with the Pope and that fucker still refuses to help me get claims or excommunicate rivals. I basically spent 40 in game years sucking up to him for nothing. I have 1322 piety points. He should be eating out of my rear end in a top hat at this point. What am I doing wrong?

Does he hate the other guy?
Do you have free investiture?

Would you screw over a friend because your bff asked you to?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Castor Poe posted:

Its not enough that the Pope likes you, he also has to hate the guy you are trying to excommunicate.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

If you have papal investiture, even if you have no valid claims or excommunication targets (game badly needs an overlay to show you these) you can still ask him for a lot of money. Sometimes he'll agree because you're a good friend.

Sometimes it's because all follow the will of the true high priest. :unsmigghh:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

The pope can be unlanded, but the title always exists. That's probably what you're thinking of.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Castor Poe posted:

Even if the Pope really likes you, it's unlikely you'll be able to do anything more than ask him for money. The truly good stuff (excommunication, asking for claims) can only really be done against people the Pope hates, so cozying up to the Pope is largely pointless, unless you do something like vassalize him. Still, he does have a lot of money to give away, and its not like your Court Chaplain has anything better to do once you've converted all your provinces to Catholic.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
If you're the head of the satanists, you could get a satanist bishop to become pope through targeted use of abductions, inductions, and tainted touch. They'll always do what you ask once they're in. I think successfully possessed popes might also be obedient

edit: also, can anyone here who has ck2+ installed tell me what the bonuses are for that mod's lucky ruler trait?

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jun 9, 2017

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Soup du Journey posted:

edit: also, can anyone here who has ck2+ installed tell me what the bonuses are for that mod's lucky ruler trait?

Um, I'm not aware of any lucky ruler trait in Plus, where are you even seeing it?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Pavlov posted:

why does paradox misspell Róm

what a thing to see

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
DP DP:

Why do they still not have a setting for More Adventurers? The Revolt setting was extremely my thing, as was the more epidemics settings, but this is something that I love in that it makes the game more crazy and dynamic

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Dallan Invictus posted:

Um, I'm not aware of any lucky ruler trait in Plus, where are you even seeing it?

im not. i was thinking about kludging something like it together into my little homebrew mod, but i didnt feel like downloading ck2+ and digging around in its guts. i guess it got taken out at some point after wiz left?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Castor Poe posted:

This wasn't always the case, but nowadays the pope will only give you a claim on someone's poo poo, or excommunicate them, if he REALLY hates that person (opinion below 0). Meaning two or three traits the church disapproves of, no traits the church approves of, and very low or negative Piety. Otherwise your request gets shot down by a "Positive opinion of Duke Chucklefuck: ------" malus. Also he has to have a 100 opinion of you or drat near.

The tl;dr is don't play Catholic.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Eric the Mauve posted:

This wasn't always the case, but nowadays the pope will only give you a claim on someone's poo poo, or excommunicate them, if he REALLY hates that person (opinion below 0). Meaning two or three traits the church disapproves of, no traits the church approves of, and very low or negative Piety. Otherwise your request gets shot down by a "Positive opinion of Duke Chucklefuck: ------" malus. Also he has to have a 100 opinion of you or drat near.

The tl;dr is don't play Catholic.

This leaves out the fact that the guy also has to have a poo poo diplomacy stat, on top of everything else. Who CARES if he's a brother-murdering known cannibal? He's just so drat charming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Veryslightlymad posted:

This leaves out the fact that the guy also has to have a poo poo diplomacy stat, on top of everything else. Who CARES if he's a brother-murdering known cannibal? He's just so drat charming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYHReHiO_IA

• Locked thread