Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

evilweasel posted:

Yeah, Comey is saying, without saying it, that the Flynn request was obstruction of justice. Problem is that he also basically says Trump didn't obstruct the overall Russia investigation (except with regard to Flynn specifically) and I bet that Republican senators are going to focus on the latter.

This is a good point, but I expect the leaks from the IC are far from done.:twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

THE PEE TAPE IS REAL

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
:piss:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

ekeog posted:

I think the line about "we decided to keep [Trump's request to drop the Flynn investigation] very closely held, resolving to figure out what to do with it down the road as our investigation progressed" indicates that though they saw this as obstruction re: Flynn, they wanted to hold onto it to see if down the line it would be part of some kind of larger case.

This is a pretty obvious paraphrase for "we're building a paper trail on this".

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I like this little anecdote.

quote:

The President signaled the end of the briefing by thanking the group and telling them all that he wanted to speak to me alone. I stayed in my chair. As the participants started to leave the Oval Office, the Attorney General lingered by my chair, but the President thanked him and said he wanted to speak only with me. The last person to leave was Jared Kushner, who also stood by my chair and exchanged pleasantries with me. The President then excused him, saying he wanted to speak with just me.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

The Glumslinger posted:

Its like reading House of Leaves all over again

ha, that's exactly what it reminded me of, you're right. PISSTAPE should appear in purple font everytime

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

evilweasel posted:

Yeah, Comey is saying, without saying it, that the Flynn request was obstruction of justice. Problem is that he also basically says Trump didn't obstruct the overall Russia investigation (except with regard to Flynn specifically) and I bet that Republican senators are going to focus on the latter.

Well, in that meeting yes, but the later meetings about the whole Russia "cloud" seem like him trying to get the who investigation to go away

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

This is a pretty obvious paraphrase for "we're building a paper trail on this".

Especially given his reasoning for refusing to share it. It sounds like they all sensed this could be the beginning of a larger case and they didn't want it out in the open yet.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/AP/status/872514717645930503

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Evil Weasel explained earlier how this was expected procedure.

Okay, I assume that's in the "if they want to pass their own variant on the bill, they need to do this way." So, I guess I just have to worry about another "wait, what the gently caress? we didn't mean to override the Preisdent's vet on this bill! gently caress! gently caress!!! This is the president's fault!" moments.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Why are so many people getting hyped for pisstape from this? Just bad reading comprehension, or simply because we've all wanted it for so long?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Oh lord, this is gonna end poorly

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/872515575460880385

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Why are so many people getting hyped for pisstape from this? Just bad reading comprehension, or simply because we've all wanted it for so long?

Well, Comey says that Trump directly refuted the hooker claim, so that one obviously got to him more than everything else in the Dossier

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

That seems like the last thing you'd want to do.

Also, ignoring the "PISS TAPES REAL" (which they are, why would he try to start an investigation into proving they're false), there was a ton of incriminating stuff in the Steele Dossier that wasn't about piss.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

evilweasel posted:

I don't see anything serious that wasn't expected in here. The key things seem to be (a) Comey confirming that he offered Trump assurances that he was not "personally under investigation" three times, though what that means is an open question; (b) Trump twice asked him to pledge loyalty to Trump and (c) facts suggesting that Comey was fired for failing to announce Trump was not personally under investigation.

He also testifies he believes that he was ordered to drop the Flynn investigation, but not the overall Russia investigation.

I do enjoy this:

Trump, in extremely John Miller voice: They weren't hookers. I didn't pay them. They volunteered.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
I send you this file in order to have your advice!

...At Mar-a-Lago over a round of golf

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

WeAreTheRomans posted:

trump is very, very focused on it and getting official fbi statements it doesnt exist

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

The Glumslinger posted:

Well, Comey says that Trump directly refuted the hooker claim, so that one obviously got to him more than everything else in the Dossier

It's probably the only thing he could understand.

I mean, I kinda think the pisstape is real, I just don't think Jim Comey is gonna drop that casually into a prepared statement

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
"I didn’t move, speak, or change my facial expression in any way during the
awkward silence that followed. We simply looked at each other in silence. "

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Trump lost his poo poo when told about pisstape, and repeatedly insisted it wasn't true in multiple conversations.

Obviously people can react to stunning news or tragedy in weird ways and its dangerous to convict someone in court based on their reactions, but.... this is how Trump typically reacts to bad news that is true.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

The Glumslinger posted:

Well, in that meeting yes, but the later meetings about the whole Russia "cloud" seem like him trying to get the who investigation to go away

Seems like Trump wanted the investigation to end so it could confirm his innocence, I'm not seeing much about Trump attempting to halt it prematurely.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

evilweasel posted:

trump is very, very focused on it and getting official fbi statements it doesnt exist

Which, knowing Trump, means the piss tape is real.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I mean, I kinda think the pisstape is real, I just don't think Jim Comey is gonna drop that casually into a prepared statement

comey won't confirm it, but trump is basically confirming it :getin:

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
" Reince Priebus leaned in through the door
by the grandfather clock and I could see a group of people waiting behind him.
The President waved at him"

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

What face do you think trump was making

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I wonder how US military personnel based in Qatar feel about being put at risk due to Trump's criminally incompetent handling of this diplomatic mess.

They're angry and then they'll vote GOP next election.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Comey is Ricky Gervais here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmHIgCbAhNI

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

WeAreTheRomans posted:

It probably is. Chimp's denial - "I knew I was being filmed in Russia all along" - sounds to me like someone who is pranked and then tries to play it off: "Oh, I knew that was there. I just wanted to make you laugh by looking like I fell for it".

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 7, 2017

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

Seems like Trump wanted the investigation to end so it could confirm his innocence, I'm not seeing much about Trump attempting to halt it prematurely.

That is true, but thankfully we don't need Comey to tell us that Trump was trying to end the Russia investigations, because he already outright admitted it to the loving Russians while bragging about firing Comey in the oval office.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Piss tape baybeee
Piss Tape baby
Piss tayayape that where where its at

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

Then he fired Comey for not ending it prematurely.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
:stare:

Piss. Tape. Is loving Real

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jY_bCvNZ0o

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

fatherboxx posted:

The Cloud! :nsacloud:
Mr. President, it seems you have a brain cloud. There is no cure.

But let me tell you about this island...

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Can someone remind me who, according to the original dossier, actually has access to the piss tape, and how the dossier's author knows about it?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Unverified "salacious" stuff about Trump that infuriated him, he didn't meet any hookers in Russia and always assumed he was being recorded in Russia. It's not very hard to connect the dots there. It certainly could be something else but the obvious answer is Comey came to Trump about the pisstapes, Trump was enraged and so Comey reassured him he wasn't personally under investigation to calm him down.

The piss tape won't bring Trump down it's just hilarious.

My takeaway from the statement:

-Comey talked to Trump, one-on-one in private because it was salacious and would save him from embarassment. Probably pisstapes.
-Trump was not personally under investigation.
-Trump asked for Comey's loyalty and Comey offered only honesty.
-Trump committed obstruction of justice by asking Comey to end the Flynn investigation, but Comey thinks he wasn't trying to end the Russia investigation overall.
-Comey was fired for not pledging loyalty and backing off of Flynn.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Can someone remind me who, according to the original dossier, actually has access to the piss tape, and how the dossier's author knows about it?

the russian intelligence services, and because someone blabbed to his sources about having it

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Rigel posted:

That is true, but thankfully we don't need Comey to tell us that Trump was trying to end the Russia investigations, because he already outright admitted it to the loving Russians while bragging about firing Comey in the oval office.

While telling them classified info.

I mean it's real easy to forget in the neverending torrent of poo poo that is Trump.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
release the long-form piss tape!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

It probably is. Trump's denial - "I knew I was being filmed in Russia all along" sounds to me like someone who is pranked and then tries to play it off: "Oh, I knew that was there all along; I was just playing so that you'd laugh".

yeah, that too. I couldn't put my finger on why I also strongly believed in pisstape after reading this, but thats a big part of it. "Hey come on, like... I knew I'd be recorded, so obviously I wouldn't do something stupid, right? heh... heh?"

No you didn't, Donald. You totally believed you had privacy and now you are being blackmailed.

• Locked thread