Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mid rush never works until it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Lord Koth posted:

It's not exactly clicking for me yet either, though the absolute garbage teams I had to work with certainly didn't help. Anyways, mine is still completely stock so I'll just have to wait and see how it is with top hull and guns.

In terms of modules, I'm running:
Slot 1: Auxiliary Armaments Mod. 1 - Really, I just happened to have one for free so this is more experimentation than anything else. Besides, not really having an issue with my main guns being knocked out.
Slot 2: Secondary Battery Mod. 2 - Blatantly obvious pick for high tier German BB
Slot 3: ??? - Buying the 3 million credit module would have put me too close to 0 for my liking, so skipped it for now. Besides, I'm undecided what to put here.
Slot 4: DamCon System Mod. 1 - Duh.
Slot 5: Steering Gears Mod. 2 - Anything to get my turning circle down to something even vaguely reasonable (it's still not, but at least it's closer!).
Slot 6: Concealment System Mod. 1 - Concealment is still terrible at 15km, but still seems to be of more use than the other one.

Really, relatively standard German BB picks. Only one I'm undecided on is slot 3, because while Secondary Battery Mod. 3 does seem an obvious choice, I'm not entirely sure the benefit is large enough to outweigh the usefulness of Main Battery Mod. 3 - especially once I pick up the 420mm guns.

For captain skills, I moved over my longtime Tirpitz captain, so I'm sitting at 15 pts.
T1: Preventive Maintenance - Theory was to hopefully reduce the likelihood of getting secondaries knocked out, but over time I've debated whether it's really worth it. Still, spending a bunch of doubloons to respec to something else at T1 isn't exactly high on my priority list.
T2: Adrenaline Rush - Great skill, and German turret traverse is reasonable enough for me to put it ahead of the other obvious T2 choice(Expert Marksman). May eventually pick that up, points allowing
T3: Basic Firing Training - Similarly to Preventive Maintenance, I've come to wonder whether there wasn't a better pick. Once again it seems decent enough though, and I am reluctant to pay the respec cost for this captain.
T4: Advanced Firing Training & Manual Fire Control for Secondary Armament - A no brainer.

I'd really recommend against going full secondaries on the FDG. The meta at T9+ is all bow in sniping from afar, and T9+ destroyer torps are pretty insane, they often wont get close enough for your secondaries to come into play. I'd really recommend going ham on beefing up your main guns and trying to get that accuracy to at least decent levels. Once you play it as a beefy mid-range brawler the boat will start to click more, just remember you're MUCH taller than the Bis/Terp and you WILL take big hits to your soft upper sides if you don't angle well.

That being said, I still went with secondary mod over accuracy just to get my secondaries up to 8.8, because it's just fun going full deathstar some times.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Thanks to whoever it was I was playing my New Mexico with earlier in the evening. The whole 'take your slow piece of garbage and float angrily toward the enemy until someone's dead' works dandy. I still think the AP bounces a shitload, tho.

Watched some Flamu cruiser vids and the concept of not firing my guns constantly never occurred to me for some reason. Playing concealment games in the Myoko is a lot of fun, and I can even do well in my Cleveland if I'm not getting screwed over by the map layout or deleted by a BB citadel.

One of these days I'll figure out how to play my DDs and I'll be all set.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

JacksLibido posted:

I'd really recommend against going full secondaries on the FDG. The meta at T9+ is all bow in sniping from afar, and T9+ destroyer torps are pretty insane, they often wont get close enough for your secondaries to come into play. I'd really recommend going ham on beefing up your main guns and trying to get that accuracy to at least decent levels. Once you play it as a beefy mid-range brawler the boat will start to click more, just remember you're MUCH taller than the Bis/Terp and you WILL take big hits to your soft upper sides if you don't angle well.

That being said, I still went with secondary mod over accuracy just to get my secondaries up to 8.8, because it's just fun going full deathstar some times.

I am aware of the T9+ meta, as I do have multiple T9/10s on other lines. I'm just an incredibly aggressive player, which I'll fully admit both serves me well and acts as my achilles heel depending on game, and I will generally try to push relatively close if I think I have any reasonable shot at it. Thus I do still feel getting the full 10.6 km range is useful, though I do agree that taking every single secondary upgrade is superfluous. For example, the more I think it over, the more I feel the 3 million secondary module is just not worth it compared to the other options.

Also note that only US destroyers have relevant longer than 10km range(aside from Shimakaze and soon-to-be Yuugumo with 12km), so if you have someone else spotting a ship, 10.6km gives you a lot of range to play around with in shelling them while still being on the bare edge of their torpedo range (and thus plenty of time to turn away). You lose that with 8.8.

On another matter, with scenarios coming I've rebought a Cleveland and am rebuilding an old captain specced to that ship who had 11 points. What do people think of an overall Cleveland build? Current tentative build is:
T1 - Direction Center for Catapult Aircraft. Because I don't generally have much trouble figuring out who's aiming at me at those tiers, and the only other choice would be Preventive Maintenance.
T2 - ...Last Stand or Adrenaline Rush I guess? Adrenaline Rush is only knocking off 0.8 seconds even at 50% hp, but engine/rudder hits have never seemed incredibly common in the Cleveland. Nothing else seems worth mentioning.
T3- Demolition Expert. Tempted to switch it out for BFT, but the extra fire chance is more generally useful.
T4- IFHE. Didn't really want this, or at least wanted to go with one of the other T4 skills below first, but with the bad place T6s are currently in it really helps against all those upper tier ships.

Future thoughts would be AFT and Manual AA Fire Control to completely zone out CVs. Skips out on Concealment Expert, but Cleveland's concealment is never going to be particularly good.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jun 7, 2017

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Lord Koth posted:

I am aware of the T9+ meta, as I do have multiple T9/10s on other lines. I'm just an incredibly aggressive player, which I'll fully admit both serves me well and acts as my achilles heel depending on game, and I will generally try to push relatively close if I think I have any reasonable shot at it. Thus I do still feel getting the full 10.6 km range is useful, though I do agree that taking every single secondary upgrade is superfluous. For example, the more I think it over, the more I feel the 3 million secondary module is just not worth it compared to the other options.

Also note that only US destroyers have relevant longer than 10km range(aside from Shimakaze and soon-to-be Yuugumo with 12km), so if you have someone else spotting a ship, 10.6km gives you a lot of range to play around with in shelling them while still being on the bare edge of their torpedo range (and thus plenty of time to turn away). You lose that with 8.8.

Then you'd know that Gearings and Shima's are most of what you're going to see with khabs sitting off lighting you up. You can do whatever you want with the boat, but the whole battlestar thing doesn't go down too well at T9.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
FdeG:
Just go full secondaries on the FdeG (BFT, AFT, Manual Sec, Target Acquisition Mod). It might not be 100% optimal but its probably at least 90% and more importantly is great fun when you get those T7 matches. The FdeG is literally the best ship in the game for secondaries. It beats the Bismarck because of the 3m reload mod and it beats the Kurfurst because its secondaries start more fires and I believe also have better firing arcs.

Alternatively go full tank build (Basics of Survivability, Fire Prevention, Concealment Expert, Concealment Mod) if you are heading for the Kurfurst. For Kurfurst its either full tank or full secondaries, nothing else makes sense since Yamato and Montana do everything else better. Compared to the FdeG, the T10 meta is far worse for secondaries but the Kurfurst does better outside that because it has 25% more HP and 50% more main guns.

Cleveland:

Priority Target (Expert Loader if you have Seagal like me and also use him in Atlanta)
Expert Marksman (Seagal) or Adrenaline Rush (AR is useless on Atlanta because its HP pool is very binary)
DE (Mandatory with IFHE)
CE (10)
IFHE (14)

The order of the last 2 can be reversed but the CE is too useful on Atlanta for me.

Then finally AFT (18) and Priority Target if you somehow reach 18/19 points for a T6 ship. Priority Target can be less essential on Atlanta/Cleveland because you should be in a position close to islands where not much can shoot at you even if they can see you.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Speaking of secondary guns , German cruiser HE buff also affect the remaining German secondaries that were not pen=1/4 of shell diameter.
So Bismark and FDG CQC build just got a massive buff.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Big McHuge posted:

Finally got my Bismark. Thanks for the tips about re-doing old missions, that helped a lot, even though it was still a fuckton of grinding. Should I get AFT or MFC first at level 10?

Also, unrelated, I have about 140k xp on my Buddonny now that I might convert with dubloons. Is the Shchors enjoyable or should I just skip to the Chapy?

I'm in the Shchors now, and it's a blast. I do well in it even if I'm uptiered, and I'm already halfway through it XP wise. I average about 1.3K base XP in it, which isn't bad for me.

That said, I did better in the Budy (average 1.5K base XP and a 70% WR)...but I'm not sure if that's because of MM or the boat being better.

EDIT: I think I finally figured out how to Fubuki, and I'm actually enjoying playing it. It's such a joy hammering "bow on, reverse forever" North Carolinas with stealth torpedoes. I still despise the new Minekaze, though. I'm not sure I have it in me to continue up that line.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jun 7, 2017

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Sperglord Actual posted:

HMS Rodnol, second of the Nelsol-class fleet oilers.

I was waiting for someone to bring that up. :v:

Is it me or was the RN kind of messed up in WW2 in so much as it appeared very strong, but really wasn't? Reading about this stuff more lately because Warbotes, I get the impression the Brits were resting on their laurels.

Also, I couldn't be arsed to finish the Bismarck grind. I already had the ship and while 11m in silver was nice, it wasn't worth it. I got the camo for the Bismark and the Hood, so I'm happy about that.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The Royal Navy was very strong, it just sometimes looks feeble retrospectively because of how much it was stretched trying to defend the largest empire in history almost single handedly against two, and then three well equipped enemies, and how quickly the US was able to turn industrial might and battlefield experience into the largest, and scariest, navy ever seen. At the start of the war they had more bases, more ships, and more sailors than any other navy, their ship designs were all sound, and they had a vast depth of institutional experience to inform training and improvement - they just suffered from being forced to stand still due to lack of manufacturing ability, and for being the nation that stuck to the treaty restrictions the longest.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 7, 2017

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Krogort posted:

Speaking of secondary guns , German cruiser HE buff also affect the remaining German secondaries that were not pen=1/4 of shell diameter.
So Bismark and FDG CQC build just got a massive buff.

Hot drat am I ready for all the Bismark secondary spam :suicide:. Others things I've noticed in the patch: Lo Yang got a massive Hydro buff. I'm not sure if it's on par with the German Hydro now but it went from 3.5 to 5.4 kms. This pleases me greatly because hydro'ing fools in smoke with the Lo Yang then popping them is very enjoyable. Additionally, the Yugumo got some longer ranger torps while the Gallant was added to test. Based upon the early stats the Gallant looks to be my kinda boat. Really good DPM, 8km torps, great concealment, decent speed, ok rudder shift and very good turning circle. HP is near what the Farragut has and the range kinda blows. 8% fire chance though with 15k damage on the torps.

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 7, 2017

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Objective mode is infuriating. I just keep getting teams of base level tier Vs that don't know how to use AP or click ships.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

NTRabbit posted:

The Royal Navy was very strong, it just sometimes looks feeble retrospectively because of how much it was stretched trying to defend the largest empire in history almost single handedly against two, and then three well equipped enemies, and how quickly the US was able to turn industrial might and battlefield experience into the largest, and scariest, navy ever seen. At the start of the war they had more bases, more ships, and more sailors than any other navy, their ship designs were all sound, and they had a vast depth of institutional experience to inform training and improvement - they just suffered from being forced to stand still due to lack of manufacturing ability, and for being the nation that stuck to the treaty restrictions the longest.

Also they had a lot of compromises from following the Washington naval treaty, unlike Germany and Japan etc.

Ugh, I may just suck since I just came back to WoWS, but the mission to sink 2 DDs in the Warspite really infuriated me. The gun sigma just splashes shells all around them even when my aim is on point. I ended up doing stage 5 of the campaign on XP repeats without sinking a single DD.

Also, what's the key to switch camera to your in flight shells/torps? MMB only seems to work as you fire them, but I have seen people doing it in videos.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Thanks to whoever it was I was playing my New Mexico with earlier in the evening. The whole 'take your slow piece of garbage and float angrily toward the enemy until someone's dead' works dandy. I still think the AP bounces a shitload, tho.

Watched some Flamu cruiser vids and the concept of not firing my guns constantly never occurred to me for some reason. Playing concealment games in the Myoko is a lot of fun, and I can even do well in my Cleveland if I'm not getting screwed over by the map layout or deleted by a BB citadel.

One of these days I'll figure out how to play my DDs and I'll be all set.

Many of the Japanese cruisers excel at popping off a shot or two, letting the spotting fall back to normal, moving a bit and doing it again. Unfortunately, the small gun size and lesser firestarting chance means the Cleveland is not nearly as good at it.

Does anyone else who runs manual secondaries sometimes wait until opening up with them? Basically making it seem like you might not have specced for > 6KM range. I love letting destroyers come in close as if I'm not secondary spec before making them regret their poor life choices.

Speaking of poor life choices, I think I enjoy the Hood with secondary spec and brawling rather than watching the guns continually miss while tanking at range. Clearly suboptimal, but way more fun.

HFX fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 7, 2017

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Okay, I'm sick of grinding American and Japanese cruisers. I really want the RN battleship line.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I got the Baltimore recently and... I like it. Don't think it deserves its old bad reputation anymore. Sure the DPM is pretty low but it's stealthy, maneuverable and surprisingly tanky, it's got fantastic AA, the AP is loving amazing and then it's got a great radar. You don't farm much damage in it but it's really good at winning games.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Base price for the Hood is $44, same as Kaga. Should have gone for a bundle after all. :(

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

TheFluff posted:

I got the Baltimore recently and... I like it. Don't think it deserves its old bad reputation anymore. Sure the DPM is pretty low but it's stealthy, maneuverable and surprisingly tanky, it's got fantastic AA, the AP is loving amazing and then it's got a great radar. You don't farm much damage in it but it's really good at winning games.

I used it to do almost all of the Bismark campaign and grind through to the DesMoines, I liked it pretty well. It fits in the really nice progression of US CAs now, since you go from like 15 second reloads on the Indianapolis at T7, 12s on New Orleans, to 8.8 on Baltimore before hitting the machine gun level DM. It can crank some really nice damage once you've lost some HP and Adrenaline Rush kicks in.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Sperglord Actual posted:

Base price for the Hood is $44, same as Kaga. Should have gone for a bundle after all. :(

resist the urge. Wait for a sale.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Gwaihir posted:

I used it to do almost all of the Bismark campaign and grind through to the DesMoines, I liked it pretty well. It fits in the really nice progression of US CAs now, since you go from like 15 second reloads on the Indianapolis at T7, 12s on New Orleans, to 8.8 on Baltimore before hitting the machine gun level DM. It can crank some really nice damage once you've lost some HP and Adrenaline Rush kicks in.

I simply can't figure out how to Indianapolis. If I hang back, its floaty shells end up not doing much, if I get to 11-12km I can hit reasonably hard, but it can't take a hit worth poo poo. I don't know why the Myoko can work for me at that tier fine, but the Indy doesn't.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

CitizenKain posted:

I simply can't figure out how to Indianapolis. If I hang back, its floaty shells end up not doing much, if I get to 11-12km I can hit reasonably hard, but it can't take a hit worth poo poo. I don't know why the Myoko can work for me at that tier fine, but the Indy doesn't.

When I first got it I loved it but increasingly find it frustrating nowadays.

Detection is huge with a massive citadel which means it's rubbish for pushing and hunting dd's. Hardly ever any cv's and the AA is I think worse the the gneis.

Guns are great for hunting cruisers and you can land some sick nasty hits into the broadside of bb's but slow reload means it's dpm is nothing compared to the Belfast say.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
I went for a full secondary build with the FDG and I like it so much that I bought permanent camo for it. You absolutely dominate T7-9 games, and are still able to wreck 10s.

I use the 420s for their penetration. Accuracy is just the same.

However, the Freddy is the last ship where you can use a secondary build. The Kurfurst cannot be played like the Bismarck/Tirpitz/FDG triplet.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

MikeC posted:

resist the urge. Wait for a sale.

Yeah, I'm not dropping that kind of cash on a boat with no extras.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

When I first got it I loved it but increasingly find it frustrating nowadays.

:same:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

CitizenKain posted:

It's just not all that very good these days. The glacial reload means you don't want to get in to it with DDs, and your detection range is so much longer than your radar range that you can't pull the "Get detected->instantly pop radar and own" trick that New Orleans and Baltimore can do.

The only way you're going to do well in it is abuse the massive (For T7) range. In fact the range on it's guns is longer than New Orleans, Baltimore, and Des Moines, unless you run the range mod on DM. So it's just starting fires and getting in big AP hits when the chance presents itself basically. The firing angles are superb so at least you have plenty of leeaway to use all 3 turrets.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

I'm not hearing much improvement with the new ultra sound setting, just a delay on the 'doink' effect when I sink something.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Played a few rounds of the new PvE. Not impressed so far.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The mode is neat, it just really needs competent players. And especially a good CV, because T5-6 cruisers cannot burn down those last three BBs in a reasonable timeframe on their own.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
I just clipped a Warspite with a Shiratsuyu torpedo and it detonated :psyduck:

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 8, 2017

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

PvE mode is a bit easy with an organised group. Interesting, but I wouldn't use it for grinding. More of a party game.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

I would kill someone, in front of their own mother, for the ability to permaban retards in this game.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
German secondary buff is nuts. Its gone from 8-10% of my damage to 20%

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
A funny story: The final stage of Bismarck is do 350k damage. Somehow instead of selecting it I re-did the first part of stage 7, do 300k damage. And now the event is over. Good times :suicide:

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

What's the best ship for the coop scenarios? Right now I'm thinking Budyonnyy or Cleveland.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Budy and Cleve are both good. Fuso is best BB though Warspite ain't bad. DDs are bad in the current scenario (they have their uses though). Leander is ok for current scenario, as you don't need to move much and enemies come to you. Don't loving play a french boat jesus christ. Ryuujo reigns supreme for all time, if you bring an Indy you have terminal brain damage and should be rammed to death since theres no friendly fire.

Also, the T9 and 10 RN BBs are leaked, and look like they're BCs. The 9 has sonar, the 10 has RADAR. Both are pretty fragile for "battleships", but have insane gun stats and the crazy CL heal and whatnot. So the RN will be the glass cannon BBs on top of the CLs. I am OK with a soft BC carrying RADAR... I just didn't want a tanky monster with BB guns ALSO having RADAR, because that's loving stupid.

also try not to fail at keeping ships out of the base in the scenario, or it starts the main attack immediately. it ALSO SPAWNS A loving HIRYUU THAT WILL WRECK YOUR CV'S PLANES SO DONT loving FAIL THAT OBJECTIVE

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jun 8, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

What makes you say they're BCs? They're both proper battleship designs, and the Lion used an all or nothing scheme

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Dunkerque is also surprisingly decent for this current PvE mode.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
The Lion class certainly wouldn't have been a behemoth like the Yamato but I'd hardly call it a battle cruiser.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Lion was more or less an upscaled KGV, a fast battleship counterpart to South Dakota and/or Iowa depending on your point of view, and with a similar relationship to KGV as the two American ships had to each other.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Enterprise's new drop pattern for its TBs is apparently an inverted version of the Kaga's: 2 torpedoes (since it only has 5 plane squadrons) close to each other in front and 3 torpedoes with bigger spacing in the back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
That if anything seems a nerf since I would say the regular USN torp spread is superior to the Kaga's.