Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

EvanTH posted:

is he banned or just suspended

suspended for 2 years yeah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

zoux posted:

Horry talking poo poo about Manu and Timmy.

I wonder if Tim Duncan would be bothered by th
http://www.basketball-reference.com...a01&idx=players

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Brolander posted:

suspended for 2 years yeah?

Oh he'd be like 30 coming back into the league. I wonder if we'll see him again?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G-2EL5nqfQ

:hellyeah:

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

old man yelling at cloud gets microphone placed in front of him

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

EvanTH posted:

i sorta doubt those ratings keep up if the finals continue to be non-competitive

I think your overestimating the average Finals viewer wanting to watch big names vs close basketball games.

EvanTH posted:

I wonder if Tim Duncan would be bothered by th
http://www.basketball-reference.com...a01&idx=players

Comparing 36-38 year old Hakeem to 22-24 year old Duncan over a 10 game sample is probably not a very interesting data point.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BWV posted:

Thanks for listening to my podcast.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Thinking that the large majority of NBA Fans want a close game over popular players playing again and again is one of the more bubble-group thoughts

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

BWV posted:

Actually, that was Earvin "Magic" Johnson asserting the other day that the Showtime Lakers would flat out sweep this mediocre Warriors team.

misdirectomy
Feb 19, 2008
I agree with my Spurs bros that a Kawhi-led team would NEVER cough up a 20 point lead to the Warriors

http://www.espn.com/nba/game?gameId=400900513

oh poo poo except for that time it happened

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

predicto posted:

Actually, that was Earvin "Magic" Johnson asserting the other day that the Showtime Lakers would flat out sweep this mediocre Warriors team.

Warriors would not be able to deal with KAJ at all.

Would be interesting .

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

quote:

Horry played four years in San Antonio and won two titles as a Spur. He also noted in an article for The Players’ Tribune that he thought Rudy Tomjonavich, and “not Gregg Popovich”, was the best coach he’d played for.

Oh Robert. :allears:

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Hot Take Bob

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Lockback posted:

I think your overestimating the average Finals viewer wanting to watch big names vs close basketball games.

Comparing 36-38 year old Hakeem to 22-24 year old Duncan over a 10 game sample is probably not a very interesting data point.

What do you mean, you think my overestimating the average finals viewer wanting to watch big names vs close basketball games? Haha

Anyhow, viewers increased as the series went on, yeah? Everybody I knew with only a casual interest in basketball didn't start tuning in until game 6ish. And pretty much by definition a 4 game series is going to have less views than a 7.

It's not a comparison of their careers, it's a note that Tim Duncan went 10-0 against Hakeem and I doubt he feels much of a personal rivalry there.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Does Horry have a book coming out soon or something that he needs attention for?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
This is the highest rated finals ever so far because last year's finals was so entertaining it generated a lot of interest. I seriously doubt the rating continue to grow it looks like a 4 game series

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Watching this, I'm led to wonder how Porzingis hasn't thrown out his back or shoulder dunking yet. The guy goes full on attacking the basket when there's a dunk opportunity, and his big 7'3 frame seems to contort into all kinds of weird positions when he's throwing it down (or afterwards when he's hanging on the rim or simply falling to the floor). He's probably the best big goofy-looking stiff white guy dunker of all time, and I hope he's able to keep it up for 15 yrs without his spine snapping in half.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
Adam Hanga is supposed to join the Spurs this offseason. He'll be an upgrade from Simmons. He's a great defender and good driver/passer but a terrible shooter so he's not going to fix any of their problems.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
how do I go about applying for that hoopshype job if I have no resume because I've been on disability since forever and no writing samples because i only post on forums

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Leandro Barbosa has a players tribune article up and it's adorable.
https://www.theplayerstribune.com/leandro-barbosa-nba-brazil-suns/

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

EvanTH posted:

how do I go about applying for that hoopshype job if I have no resume because I've been on disability since forever and no writing samples because i only post on forums

Lie your rear end off

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

euphronius posted:

Warriors would not be able to deal with KAJ at all.

Would be interesting .

KAJ was amazing. I suspect they would double from the top to get the ball out of his hands and prevent the sky hook.

On the other hand, KAJ was pretty old by then. How many times would his man beat him down the court for transition buckets?

Either way, the idea that it would be a sweep by the Lakers is what is hilarious. The Showtime Lakers, as the height of their powers, didn't even sweep the Sleepy Floyd/Joe Barry Carroll Warriors team that they faced back then.

predicto fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 7, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

predicto posted:

KAJ was amazing. I suspect they would double from the top to get the ball out of his hands and prevent the sky hook.

On the other hand, KAJ was pretty old by then. How many times would his man beat him down the court for transition buckets?

He was only 32 in 80

I doubt a double would stop the sky hook

The problem is they didn't have their hall of fame wings in 80. Cooper and worthy were still to come .

Cooper may not be in the hof.

Edit . Never mind cooper was on the 80 team.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

zoux posted:

Horry talking poo poo about Manu and Timmy.

Like that's an obviously hard shot at Manu (although this isn't the first time I've heard someone say that) but that is barely a shot at Tim at all. Tripping over himself to give Tim credit for working very hard but not going as far as known Workout/Practice Psychopaths Kobe and Olajuwon, isn't that much of a burn, nor is saying that Olajuwon was the better center that controversial, definitely within the realm of rational subjective opinion.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

euphronius posted:

He was only 32 in 80

The problem is they didn't have their hall of fame wings in 80. Cooper and worthy were still to come .

Yep. 1980 was not when Showtime was at its best. More like 1986-87, and by that point Kareem was not the same player.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/872488961784066051

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Basically any finals winner with a prime center and wings would have a chance against this warriors team imho. 2001 lakers, the Hakeem teams. Prime Duncan.

IMHO.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Like every old school team they'd be buried under a rain of 3's for at least a game or two since they'd have no idea how to defend any modern offense.

They'd be like Barkley "well they can't keep hitting these wide open shots" - { gives up 20 wide open 3's }

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Kobe coming back out of retirement for last ring as the sixth man of that Spurs Super Team, confirmed

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

EvanTH posted:

Oh he'd be like 30 coming back into the league. I wonder if we'll see him again?

I could see a contending team signing him late season for their bench. Warriors might need a vet for their bench in 18-19. Looks like he has to sit out next season also. He should have tried to play in Europe or China for the 2 years he has to sit out.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

euphronius posted:

He was only 32 in 80

Edit . Never mind cooper was on the 80 team.

The Warriors probably wouldn't be able to double him for long unless they managed to do it without picking up fouls, and even a lot of the trapping that the Warriors would try to do to stop him from getting the ball would be ineffective because Magic is so tall and such a good passer and the Warriors defense is so (relatively) small. Also the Warriors for once would be the team that was having to adapt to a faster pace and scored a little more than they did. The Warriors three ball obviously is a great equalizer/overcomer offensively, and what's worse is the Showtime Lakers would almost surely just give them that shot and would probably be overwhelemed on nights where the Warriors were hitting them above their average. All in all I think it would be a pretty great series (not a sweep on either side).

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Rick posted:

The Warriors probably wouldn't be able to double him for long unless they managed to do it without picking up fouls, and even a lot of the trapping that the Warriors would try to do to stop him from getting the ball would be ineffective because Magic is so tall and such a good passer and the Warriors defense is so (relatively) small. Also the Warriors for once would be the team that was having to adapt to a faster pace and scored a little more than they did. The Warriors three ball obviously is a great equalizer/overcomer offensively, and what's worse is the Showtime Lakers would almost surely just give them that shot and would probably be overwhelemed on nights where the Warriors were hitting them above their average. All in all I think it would be a pretty great series (not a sweep on either side).

Which Lakers team do you think of as the best in franchise history?

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Lmao players are so much better now than back in the 80s, if only because of diet and exercise and training and *cough* performance enhancers that it wouldn't even be a contest.

Tough guys from the 80s would be big pussies if somehow magically transported to today.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I mean, maybe if the Lakers have a season to re-tinker their defense and adjust their offense. Otherwise they'd hit a GSW defense the likes of which they'd never seen before and the Warrior Offense would be an alien, unstoppable thing. The showtime Lakers were pretty dominant in their years, but this is why comparing eras is troublesome.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Spite posted:

Like every old school team they'd be buried under a rain of 3's for at least a game or two since they'd have no idea how to defend any modern offense.

They'd be like Barkley "well they can't keep hitting these wide open shots" - { gives up 20 wide open 3's }

Does the sorcerer give each team a few weeks to gameplan? 1986 rules or 2017 rules? 1986 refs or 2017 refs? Like can the Lakers abuse Curry by just posting up Magic 20 feet from the basket and letting him rear end bump him for the entire shot clock until he fouls out or gasses? Are there backcourt clear path fouls? Are moving screens getting called 80s style, because then the entire Warriors offense is barely going to work.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
OJ Mayo was last seen in Kenya wearing traditional garb, hunting lions with a spear. I don't see any way the spear hunting gets his TS% above league average.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Are the players from the past allowed to supplement their training regimens? Are they allowed an offseason or so to get up to speed with modern NBA practices? Do we travel back in time or forward in time to hold the match, and how does this affect the social lives during the downtime preparing for the game? ? Which team is awarded home-time advantage? Is it harder to teach the 80s Lakers to text, or more deprivation to keep the modern Warriors without smartphones or internet or advanced stats?

I bet Magic Johnson's relationship with his son is a million times better due to Magic being kinda forced to interact with the LGBT community and bond over issues of HIV stigma ("Good AIDS v. Bad AIDS was a real cultural phenomenon)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3xUjw2BCYE

If we send Magic back in time, does he use his knowledge of the future to take precautions and prevent the contraction of the virus? Does this mean he's less understanding of his son as a person once this experiment is complete? Are we destroying a beautiful relationship just for the sake of our own thought experiment? What kind of monsters are we?

Metapod posted:

Lie your rear end off

agh that's one of the things i'm worst at

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 7, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I went for a long walk and think that it's just the warriors have never had to do deal with a prime center and aren't built for it . It would be interesting to see what they would do if forced to adapt.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Lockback posted:

Leandro Barbosa has a players tribune article up and it's adorable.
https://www.theplayerstribune.com/leandro-barbosa-nba-brazil-suns/

I love that guy. I'm glad he got more money but I wish he was still a Warrior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

euphronius posted:

Basically any finals winner with a prime center and wings would have a chance against this warriors team imho. 2001 lakers, the Hakeem teams. Prime Duncan.

IMHO.

An chance to win, absolutely.

"Would sweep?" Err...

• Locked thread