Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Firebatgyro posted:

Whenever I hear Marshall commentating a match i think wow this guy has no idea how to play limited at all. And then I watched him play and yeah, he has no idea how to play limited at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
I once beat Marshall in a limited event. He was manascrewed and I felt really bad, but he was nice about it.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Marshall seems like a good guy and I enjoy his commentary. The two they had hosing the GP in Amsterdam last weekend though were really entertaining.

Marshall gets points for last week when coming back from a break and seeing that the match on screen was going to be marvel said "nah let's get that out of here" and switched to a different table.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

ThePeavstenator posted:

The title of the article says it all, "It’s a Small-Sample Analysis". The math all works out, but look at the BG numbers. The deck's matchup percentages are all above 50 except for Zombies, and Zombies gets rolled by every other deck. Basically I don't buy BG having those matchups, and I think the problem stems from looking at the day 2 results of 7-2 players in 2 GPs. That's not a very large of a sample size, and you can't really justify the assumption that both players in each matchup are equally skilled, which this model relies on.

if the two events were comparable in size, they should be around 400 decks and 1500 matches.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

YggdrasilTM posted:

if the two events were comparable in size, they should be around 400 decks and 1500 matches.

No, there's going to be about 100 players making day 2 with 7-2 or better records. Amsterdam had a little less than 1200 and Santiago had little over 700 for turnout. There would be about 110 and 65 players respectively with 7-2 or better at each tournament after 9 rounds. Lets be really generous and say that there were 120 and 80 7-2s or better and none of them dropped on day 2. That's still only 360 matches from Amsterdam and 240 from Santiago. 600 matches is not nearly enough when your sample isn't being chosen randomly because again, this model really depends on the players themselves not being variables.

For the brief amount of time that mtggolfish published matchup data they were analyzing 20-30 thousand matches on MTGO for data.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

ThePeavstenator posted:

No, there's going to be about 100 players making day 2 with 7-2 or better records. Amsterdam had a little less than 1200 and Santiago had little over 700 for turnout. There would be about 110 and 65 players respectively with 7-2 or better at each tournament after 9 rounds. Lets be really generous and say that there were 120 and 80 7-2s or better and none of them dropped on day 2. That's still only 360 matches from Amsterdam and 240 from Santiago. 600 matches is not nearly enough when your sample isn't being chosen randomly because again, this model really depends on the players themselves not being variables.

For the brief amount of time that mtggolfish published matchup data they were analyzing 20-30 thousand matches on MTGO for data.

???
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OmxC0W9vACy3J248i-g8CHCKfnS5b2WkIeO7lbocc8Y/edit#gid=1715095611

"Total # of decks 225 Total # of matches 621"

Maybe this one was about ALL the decks on day 2?

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 7, 2017

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Seems Cryptic (City of Heroes) are making a mormorpagah based on Magic. Not actually found the source, just a reference to it on Gamasutra, but here:

Edit: better website: http://www.pcgamer.com/magic-the-gathering-is-getting-the-aaa-rpg-treatment/

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

YggdrasilTM posted:

???
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OmxC0W9vACy3J248i-g8CHCKfnS5b2WkIeO7lbocc8Y/edit#gid=1715095611

"Total # of decks 225 Total # of matches 621"

Maybe this one was about ALL the decks on day 2?

Didn't even see that, but yeah it looks like that's the entire day 2 meta, not just 7-2 or better. Also the Marvel decks in that data have really high winrates and the BG decks are much worse so I have no idea how Karsten factored those results into the rest of his data to arrive at the numbers he did. Also wasn't GP Amsterdam a bit of an outlier in terms of deck performances? It still doesn't change the fact that this method of surveying doesn't fit the model he's trying to use.

If you just use matches from a random day 2 GP, all you're doing is showing what the best deck would have been to play at that specific GP. If you want to model an entire metagame you need a shitload of data so you can safely assume that players, sideboards, silver-bullet/fun-of card choices, etc are not variables.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

BizarroAzrael posted:

Seems Cryptic (City of Heroes) are making a mormorpagah based on Magic. Not actually found the source, just a reference to it on Gamasutra, but here:

Edit: better website: http://www.pcgamer.com/magic-the-gathering-is-getting-the-aaa-rpg-treatment/

Neverwinter was all right. CoH was fun back in the day but the problem with these games are a) microtransactions and b) the grind if you don't pay.

Also, I doubt it will be Shandalar.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Tainen posted:

Marshall seems like a good guy and I enjoy his commentary. The two they had hosing the GP in Amsterdam last weekend though were really entertaining.

Riley Knight is so good at commentary and really needs to be brought on to the main crew. Also he was a really fun streamer for the short time he did it.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

ShaneB posted:

Doesn't Marshall hang out in the 1900 club range pretty regularly?

Limited and constructed ratings are pretty worthless, for lots of reasons. He's definitely a good drafter, I think he's less solid at how he plays his games than some of the other high level pros/content creators. BenS and Andrew Cuneo are the best drafter/player combinations I've seen, although magic is weird and sometimes formats have a huge impact on how well players do.

Some formats are also much higher variance, I think the die roll is unusually impactful in this format due to cartouches and exert.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Firebatgyro posted:

Whenever I hear Marshall commentating a match i think wow this guy has no idea how to play limited at all. And then I watched him play and yeah, he has no idea how to play limited at all.

Marshall is really good at limited; you don't know what you're talking about. You don't get an 1800+ rating in Limited by having no idea how to play limited.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 7, 2017

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Marketing New Brain posted:

Limited and constructed ratings are pretty worthless, for lots of reasons. He's definitely a good drafter, I think he's less solid at how he plays his games than some of the other high level pros/content creators. BenS and Andrew Cuneo are the best drafter/player combinations I've seen, although magic is weird and sometimes formats have a huge impact on how well players do.

Some formats are also much higher variance, I think the die roll is unusually impactful in this format due to cartouches and exert.

Of course he isn't pro level. He's still in the top tier of modo players, and most of those players are much better than a typical lgs player.

My argument isn't that he's good as Cuneo and Ben S. It's that he's very very good.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
He's p good but he has huge blind spots and can't play aggro to save his life.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

BizarroAzrael posted:

This is concerning.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

ShaneB posted:

Of course he isn't pro level. He's still in the top tier of modo players, and most of those players are much better than a typical lgs player.

My argument isn't that he's good as Cuneo and Ben S. It's that he's very very good.

the 'top tier of modo players' are pro level. Cuneo was/is a modo grinder.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

BizarroAzrael posted:

I know I'm going to play this stupid game and spend money doing it and also ultimately regret it.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

bigperm posted:

I know I'm going to play this stupid game and spend money doing it and also ultimately regret it.

This will be great if you can make Planeswalkers like you could make characters in City of Heroes. 98% of the fun in that was character creation.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Bets on the plot being better or worse than ~Gatewatch Saga~?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
WOTC is like what, 15 years behind in trends? A mmo? Holy gently caress no.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Sickening posted:

WOTC is like what, 15 years behind in trends? A mmo? Holy gently caress no.

MODO is flaming piece of garbage; what do they have to lose (besides even more of their reputation)?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I fully expect this to look and play like 2005 WoW.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Mikujin posted:

MODO is flaming piece of garbage; what do they have to lose (besides even more of their reputation)?

actual money, like basically every MMO since WoW that has tried to copy WoW

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ThePeavstenator posted:

actual money, like basically every MMO since WoW that has tried to copy WoW

I mean, it's Hasbro's money to lose.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
If they tried to make Magic: Overwatch, they might have a shot

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Has anyone ever taken on a Blizzard game and won? You'd think at this point developers would learn ask "is this game the same as something Blizzard has already done?" and if the answer is "yes" go make something else.

instantrunoffvote
Jul 23, 2007

AceClown posted:

Has anyone ever taken on a Blizzard game and won? You'd think at this point developers would learn ask "is this game the same as something Blizzard has already done?" and if the answer is "yes" go make something else.

League of Legends?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

TheKingofSprings posted:

If they tried to make Magic: Overwatch, they might have a shot

I'd love to play goblin pile-driver.

Or rhox

https://youtu.be/O4a5EJaaLBQ

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Angry Grimace posted:

I fully expect this to look and play like 2005 WoW.

I'd play it then

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

instantrunoffvote posted:

League of Legends?

League of Legends hugely predates Heroes of the Storm. DotA was originally a custom map in Warcraft 3, if that's what you're referring to.

Also interesting that DotA is ubiquitous enough for my autocorrect to capitalize the A but ubiquitous isn't recognized as a word.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
I'd say they should make a dotalike but dota already got a character named Leshrac who casts Diabolic Edict....

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

PJOmega posted:

Also interesting that DotA is ubiquitous enough for my autocorrect to capitalize the A but ubiquitous isn't recognized as a word.

Guess it's not ubiquitous enough :downsrim:

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Tales of Woe posted:

the 'top tier of modo players' are pro level. Cuneo was/is a modo grinder.

Okay now that's just semantics on what defines a tier. The point stands.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

MOBAs are almost as passé as MMORPGs now, battle royale games are the only current trend that you still have time to get in ahead of Blizzard

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

There's only one company who should be bringing out an MMO in 2017 and that's nintendo and they should loving bring out a pokemon MMO already

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Cuneo was known before MODO existed btw

Reid Duke and I think Brad Nelson first became known as MODO grinders though

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
If there's an MMO where combat with an enemy was playing a match of Magic the Gathering, and PvP took place in PvP zones where you challenged other players to ante MTG matches, and the correct strategy was to group up and chain challenge someone to PvP matches over and over with a swarm of cheap rear end monored decks until you managed to win more valuable cards than the cheap red cards you lost, they'd at least get a bunch of goons playing.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
The best modern deck at the moment runs a lot of blue and has snapcasters. What a world we live in.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Hellsau posted:

If there's an MMO where combat with an enemy was playing a match of Magic the Gathering, and PvP took place in PvP zones where you challenged other players to ante MTG matches, and the correct strategy was to group up and chain challenge someone to PvP matches over and over with a swarm of cheap rear end monored decks until you managed to win more valuable cards than the cheap red cards you lost, they'd at least get a bunch of goons playing.

I'm in if we have a cool guild symbol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I'd unironically like to planeswalk in a game and check out Dominaria, Ravnica, Lorwyn, etc. in glorious 3D. I don't have high hopes for it being a good game.