Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

If your just looking to laugh and clap, superheroes are actually pretty ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I prefer action movies tbqh. Give me guns, blood and swearing that's the good stuff.

John Wick? Extremely my poo poo.
John Wick 2? Hell yea. My favorite part was where he kung-fu threw that one dude then shot him in the head.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
remember when action movies used to be about working class people in bad situations, like alien or big trouble in little china

that's why logan was so good, he was just some lovely uber driver that happened to have knifehands. now it's all chosen ones and cartoon costumed lunatics and magical people and empty power fantasies about carving through goons like they're paper. even john wick 2 as good as it was was dudes running in from outside the frame to be instantly dispatched

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Yes John Wick 2 was a little over the top, but still pretty good. I wouldn't call it the best action movie, but it was good.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Not a Step posted:

I recall that article. I think it came to the ultimate conclusion that thousands die as collateral damage and Superman ends up snapping Zod's neck because everything sucks and there are no more heroes or something.

I'd probably just say its because Zack Snyder wants to be edgy and no one in Hollywood is willing to tell him to gently caress off with that poo poo and just make some super hero movies. The Marvel movies have dealt with themes of collateral damage and loss of innocence while still retaining a basic optimism. They also made a poo poo ton more money because dark and gritty is garbage.

At least some authors at DC have been saying this in comics for a while...

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Taintrunner posted:

remember when action movies used to be about working class people in bad situations, like alien or big trouble in little china

that's why logan was so good, he was just some lovely uber driver that happened to have knifehands. now it's all chosen ones and cartoon costumed lunatics and magical people and empty power fantasies about carving through goons like they're paper. even john wick 2 as good as it was was dudes running in from outside the frame to be instantly dispatched

Die Hard was a great movie iMo

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As a fan of basic optimism I gotta say Marvel Movies are my preferred super hero content, and it's too bad that nobody in hollowood is willing to tell that ol sourpuss Zack Snyder super heroes + optimism is some mega win poo poo

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

so did you just decide to skip every single arnold and stallone flick from that timeframe? its easy to cherrypick whatever you want to support your views

anyways the only good superhero movie is blade

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Anybody else want to post an essay about how if your just looking to laugh and clap, superheroes are actually pretty ok

There are essentially two ways to go about making a superhero movie. You can make a “superhero” movie, (Christopher Nolan’s Batman films or Bryan Singer’s Superman) which takes the tropes, symbols and larger-than-life characters of the comic book universe seriously, analyzing the semiotics and psychology of superheroes and the culture that produces them. Or, you can say screw that egghead stuff and make a SUPERHERO movie, (John Favreau’s Iron Man or Richard Donner’s Superman) focusing on the technicolor spectacle that is the essential justification for the genre and leave the parsing of subtext to film critics and American Studies majors.

People interested in crowning a “greatest ever” superhero movie are really looking for a film that combines the two approaches to form the ultimate: a “SUPERHERO” movie. Whether such a beast is even possible is up for debate. Many people have claimed that The Dark Knight embodies the synthesis, but it really doesn’t. Are the action scenes (except for that kickass truck crash) on anyone’s list of the twenty most memorable things about that film? As great as it is, TDK is a pure “superhero” movie. Other films, like Ang Lee’s Hulk, attempt the synthesis and fail miserably.

The triumph of Joss Whedon’s Avengers is that it never wavers in it’s commitment to delivering the titanic action pageantry and iconic superhero personalities that drew us all to these characters when we were not-yet-jaded youngsters. And that’s why The Avengers is the best SUPERHERO movie of all time.

If The Avengers were just a string of high-octane action scenes, it would already claim the throne, but what makes this movie truly extraordinary is the attention paid to the characters. Considering that Iron Man, Thor, Captain America and the Hulk have all carried entire films by themselves, the main danger of a film featuring them all is that they might just blend together into one Uberhero. But Joss Whedon masterfully avoids this pitfall by focusing on the very different ways that each of these characters views their role as a superhero. For Bruce Banner, it’s a curse. For Steve Rogers, it’s a duty. For Thor Odinson, it’s a birthright. And for Tony Stark it’s a chance to have fun and show people just how awesome he is. These divergent visions of superheroism not only help the characters stand out from one another, they also create the interpersonal friction that sparks the kind of glorious intramural smackdowns that will thrill anyone who made their action figures fight each other as a kid.

By focusing on delivering core comic book thrills, by vividly representing a group of indelible superhero characters that have been painstakingly reintroduced to moviegoers over the past decade, by taking the time to shape relationships and conflicts sharply and efficiently, and by delivering a monumental finale of smashing and crashing that could have been pulled directly for a fanboy’s cream dream, Joss Whedon and company have made the finest SUPERHERO film to date. Until the sequel, at least.

review by Matt Christman

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I really like Corman's Fantastic Four. It was fun, didn't waste too much time establishing characters everyone already knows and stayed true to the original.

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
the Marvel movies feel like their intended audience is 'people with lobotomies'

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

hooooly poo poo
thank crap you were just c/p and aren't dumb enough to think avengers is good

Lego movie was kind of a superhero movie, Emmit gains his power near the end, and it was a better done version of the "smash your toys together" plot.

are legos woke? is there a rainbow flag lego?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Lego movie was surprisingly good. Lego Batman movie was surprisingly bad

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

microsoft cares about you, __________

latin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJxAPliK_-c
blacks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCS2Z78ApC8
women
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-0dw7YE2aI
lgbt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkHSNictbRA

mbt has issued a correction as of 02:39 on Jun 7, 2017

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

This, but holding an xbox controller.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Blacks in gaming

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

This, but holding an xbox controller.

Trumps hands could never hold an xbox controller.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/mashable/status/872395985682616320

heck ya!

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
can't wait till future space hsiotory majors are forced to watch harry potter and other stupid rear end superhero films, so they can get context on all the garbage pieces being written by horrible liberal rags.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

how many of these "woke" companies have started up with any other intention but to make money? The FAQ on the website purposely avoids answering the question of where these t-shirts are manufactured. They must be "woke" enough to understand that slave labour is actually bad, because it might hurt sales if they were to highlight it anywhere.

What sort of punishment should these sort of people deserve?

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

One more thing:

quote:

Is your packaging also eco-friendly?
Yes, we carefully source all of our materials to ensure that they are sustainable. Our shirts will arrive in an eco-friendly sleeve made of 100% recyclable and 50% recycled content with a varying amount of PCW/PCR.

Our label stickers are printed with vegetable based inks with low VOC emissions on paper that contains up to 55% postconsumer recycled content.

I see this hit all the time. What the gently caress is eco-friendly. All of a sudden you get to define what is eco-friendly and not? So what if your loving fabric is recylable, god drat it, it's a shirt, these things have been recyclable for centuries. was your container ship eco-friendly? was your truck eco-friendly? was the manufacturer of your dye eco-friendly? was your boat that you bought with your profits eco-friendly. eco-friendly. gently caress you!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Heavy_D posted:

At least some authors at DC have been saying this in comics for a while...

Too bad comics are inherently trash.

Just kidding, they are garbage

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Minge Binge posted:

One more thing:

I see this hit all the time. What the gently caress is eco-friendly. All of a sudden you get to define what is eco-friendly and not? So what if your loving fabric is recylable, god drat it, it's a shirt, these things have been recyclable for centuries. was your container ship eco-friendly? was your truck eco-friendly? was the manufacturer of your dye eco-friendly? was your boat that you bought with your profits eco-friendly. eco-friendly. gently caress you!

working human children to death making them is p eco-friendly

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

working human children to death making them is p eco-friendly

that's actually a really good point. the carbon footprint of sweatshop worker is going to way be smaller than hiring someone in the developed world. I never even thought of that.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Minge Binge posted:

that's actually a really good point. the carbon footprint of sweatshop worker is going to way be smaller than hiring someone in the developed world. I never even thought of that.

nah real upside is both sweatshop worker and unemployed developed world worker die of preventable health issues due to being broke! capitalism is the earth's immune system working its way through a disease

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

There are essentially two ways to go about making a superhero movie. You can make a “superhero” movie, (Christopher Nolan’s Batman films or Bryan Singer’s Superman) which takes the tropes, symbols and larger-than-life characters of the comic book universe seriously, analyzing the semiotics and psychology of superheroes and the culture that produces them. Or, you can say screw that egghead stuff and make a SUPERHERO movie, (John Favreau’s Iron Man or Richard Donner’s Superman) focusing on the technicolor spectacle that is the essential justification for the genre and leave the parsing of subtext to film critics and American Studies majors.

People interested in crowning a “greatest ever” superhero movie are really looking for a film that combines the two approaches to form the ultimate: a “SUPERHERO” movie. Whether such a beast is even possible is up for debate. Many people have claimed that The Dark Knight embodies the synthesis, but it really doesn’t. Are the action scenes (except for that kickass truck crash) on anyone’s list of the twenty most memorable things about that film? As great as it is, TDK is a pure “superhero” movie. Other films, like Ang Lee’s Hulk, attempt the synthesis and fail miserably.

The triumph of Joss Whedon’s Avengers is that it never wavers in it’s commitment to delivering the titanic action pageantry and iconic superhero personalities that drew us all to these characters when we were not-yet-jaded youngsters. And that’s why The Avengers is the best SUPERHERO movie of all time.

If The Avengers were just a string of high-octane action scenes, it would already claim the throne, but what makes this movie truly extraordinary is the attention paid to the characters. Considering that Iron Man, Thor, Captain America and the Hulk have all carried entire films by themselves, the main danger of a film featuring them all is that they might just blend together into one Uberhero. But Joss Whedon masterfully avoids this pitfall by focusing on the very different ways that each of these characters views their role as a superhero. For Bruce Banner, it’s a curse. For Steve Rogers, it’s a duty. For Thor Odinson, it’s a birthright. And for Tony Stark it’s a chance to have fun and show people just how awesome he is. These divergent visions of superheroism not only help the characters stand out from one another, they also create the interpersonal friction that sparks the kind of glorious intramural smackdowns that will thrill anyone who made their action figures fight each other as a kid.

By focusing on delivering core comic book thrills, by vividly representing a group of indelible superhero characters that have been painstakingly reintroduced to moviegoers over the past decade, by taking the time to shape relationships and conflicts sharply and efficiently, and by delivering a monumental finale of smashing and crashing that could have been pulled directly for a fanboy’s cream dream, Joss Whedon and company have made the finest SUPERHERO film to date. Until the sequel, at least.

review by Matt Christman

Christ, man

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

review by Matt Christman

Hell yeah

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!
Reposting this:

Amazon fights poverty with Prime discount for those on food stamps

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Minge Binge posted:

how many of these "woke" companies have started up with any other intention but to make money? The FAQ on the website purposely avoids answering the question of where these t-shirts are manufactured. They must be "woke" enough to understand that slave labour is actually bad, because it might hurt sales if they were to highlight it anywhere.

What sort of punishment should these sort of people deserve?
reminder that beyonce's clothing line was made by impoverished, worked-to-death women in sri lanka

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

get that OUT of my face posted:

reminder that beyonce's clothing line was made by impoverished, worked-to-death women in sri lanka

in the 90s kathy griffin was exiled from public stage for using child labor. today she would be a woke role model

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

you know. once climate change has passed over and society rebuilds. The history books covering late stage capitalism would be so loving poetic. They'll have to devote so much time on the irony and hypocrisy of capitalists, because otherwise it would just be so difficult for people to believe what's going on without experiencing it.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

get that OUT of my face posted:

and the koch brothers defended beyonce for this

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Minge Binge posted:

you know. once climate change has passed over and society rebuilds. The history books covering late stage capitalism would be so loving poetic. They'll have to devote so much time on the irony and hypocrisy of capitalists, because otherwise it would just be so difficult for people to believe what's going on without experiencing it.

every generation fantasizes that they will be the last one, but there's no such luck. this is hell and things will always get worse and the rest of infinity doesn't care about human suffering in any way

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

https://twitter.com/samswey/status/872151657626443776

https://twitter.com/davidminpdx/status/872190975732363264

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Nice title change, ty R. Guyovich

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

https://twitter.com/katiedrumm/status/872567094071762945

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Minge Binge posted:

and society rebuilds.

Lol

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

the lactation rooms at MCO have a shelf for you to put a laptop on right next to an outlet so they're clearly intended to be private jackoff huts as well

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Yes John Wick 2 was a little over the top, but still pretty good. I wouldn't call it the best action movie, but it was good.

John wick 2 isn't the best action movie because the best action movie is a toss up between john wick 1 and con air

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

knowing how women are treated at uber, i bet that kalanick has unlimited access to the breastfeeding room in case he gets horny and wants to see a titty, and nobody has recourse against him