Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fathis Munk posted:

That joke was made in the very next post :ssh:

:lol: if you don't have me on ignore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Ultima66 posted:

https://twitter.com/theresa_may/status/872181737933217794

I can't imagine someone who even agrees with the sentiment not taking issue with the wording.

These kind of people lap that poo poo up. Old tories love both literally and metaphorically loving the young.

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

Fathis Munk posted:

That joke was made in the very next post :ssh:

It's me I'm the isiot on social media

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Gorilla Salad posted:

To be fair, that's from Pauline Hanson, racist dipshit and currently under poice investigation (again!) for having political donations sent directly to her personal bank account.

She's from the Trump school - luck into a position of power and then gently caress everything up over and over again in massive displays of corruption and criminality yet somehow still manage to become an elected official.

Isn't she the one they call the Oxley Moron?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Fathis Munk posted:

I find it so hilarious how easily you could combine faith and science sometimes and how hard people kick and fight to not do it.

It's easy to combine faith and science. It's not easy to combine tenets like "the KJV Bible is the literal word of God, no metaphor, and it says what my pastor and my church buddies want it to say" with science.

A lot of fundamentalists haven't got much faith in general, which is why they stick so hard to rules (at least the rules they like).

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe

This guy has been blowing UP on the daily with :biotruths: lately.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

ro5s posted:

These kind of people lap that poo poo up. Old tories love both literally and metaphorically loving the young.

Pre-decimal currency? Like, no change or anything, just whole number GBP amounts? Or does that have some kind of special British meaning.

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax
thruppeny bits

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Pre-decimal currency? Like, no change or anything, just whole number GBP amounts? Or does that have some kind of special British meaning.

I'll let this quote from Good Omens explain, because I really couldn't hope to do it better:

Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman posted:

NOTE FOR YOUNG PEOPLE AND AMERICANS: One Shilling = Five Pee. It helps to understand the antique finances of the Wichfinder Army if you know the original British monetary system: 
Two farthings = One Ha'penny. Two ha'pennies = One Penny. Three pennies = A Thrupenny Bit. Two Thrupences = A Sixpence. Two Sixpences = One Shilling, or Bob. Two Bob = A Florin. One Florin and One Sixpence = Half a Crown. Four Half Crowns = Ten Bob Note. Two Ten Bob Notes = One Pound (or 240 pennies). One Pound and One Shilling = One Guinea. 
The British resisted decimalized currency for a long time because they thought it was too complicated.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

1 pound = 20 shillings, 1 shilling = 12 pence, 1 penny = 4 farthings.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I have to assume that one got added to the poll as a joke. 'Look at what people will vote for just because it's old and outdated.'

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I'll let this quote from Good Omens explain, because I really couldn't hope to do it better:
Jesus Christ and I thought the Harry Potter currency was overly complicated. :psyduck:

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Yawgmoth posted:

Jesus Christ and I thought the Harry Potter currency was overly complicated. :psyduck:

That's :thejoke: with the weird denominations in Harry Potter, really.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Ensign Expendable posted:

Holy poo poo, it's even stupider than I thought. Why? What is the advantage of essentially telling the rest of the world "gently caress you, we're going to make price conversion as hard as humanly possible"?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Ensign Expendable posted:

I've known this for a long time, but it only just occurred to me that "farthing" and "fourth" are etymologically related. :doh:

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Quad posted:

Someone's never heard of the Mirena :colbert:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Millennials are dumb! Liberals! Here eat these apricot seeds, and don't touch fidget spinners they have lead!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Quad posted:

Is this the Mike Flores who's famous for writing about Magic: the Gathering?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Millennials are dumb! Liberals! Here eat these apricot seeds, and don't touch fidget spinners they have lead!

lol isn't B17 literally cyanide?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

nerdz posted:

From what I remember, it isn't cyanide...but your body processes into cyanide. So in effect yes, eating B17 will dose you with cyanide.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Puppy Time posted:

It's easy to combine faith and science. It's not easy to combine tenets like "the KJV Bible is the literal word of God, no metaphor, and it says what my pastor and my church buddies want it to say" with science.

A lot of fundamentalists haven't got much faith in general, which is why they stick so hard to rules (at least the rules they like).

Sad but true :smith:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Slime posted:

From what I remember, it isn't cyanide...but your body processes into cyanide. So in effect yes, eating B17 will dose you with cyanide.

Lifehack: Prevent cancer killing you by poisoning yourself to death. Walla!

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
What do the color of the passports have to do with anything? Are U.K. Passports currently rainbow or something?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

hanales posted:

What do the color of the passports have to do with anything? Are U.K. Passports currently rainbow or something?

They are burgundy now but until relatively recently were blue. As to why, old Tories are just crazy.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Besesoth posted:

I've known this for a long time, but it only just occurred to me that "farthing" and "fourth" are etymologically related. :doh:

And now you know why the Shire is divided into four of them!

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Holy poo poo, it's even stupider than I thought. Why? What is the advantage of essentially telling the rest of the world "gently caress you, we're going to make price conversion as hard as humanly possible"?

Lol rest of the world. Pretty sure the last thing on the minds of anybody responsible for inventing any part of this monetary system was international trade

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

hanales posted:

British passports used to be blue. That changed to a red EU passport in 1988. People have seriously voted for something that will cost the country millions, if not billions, because they want the sort of passports we had 30 loving years ago.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
That is the most British thing I've read so far.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

ro5s posted:

Every time I think that Brexit wasn't just a knee-jerk longing for a poorly remembered good-old-days I realise that oh wait yes it totally was.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

nerdz posted:

Effectively when ingested. Not literally. Very very bad.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Lemniscate Blue posted:

In handy graph form:

Pookah posted:

Isn't she the one they call the Oxley Moron?

Yep, she used to the MP for the seat of Oxley.

Mostly, though, she's about making herself rich by being as racist and bigoted as possible. Because that's a valid way towards financial success now :(

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Is this the Mike Flores who's famous for writing about Magic: the Gathering?

I'm pretty sure it's not, since that doesn't sound at all like the way Mike Flores talks on podcasts and the only Facebook account I know the guy uses has an avatar of a literal Magic card. Also, he wears glasses in all the photos I've seen of him.

That said, MTG Flores does believe some really stupid stuff. Apparently the reason he used to end his articles with LOVE, MIKE is because he thought that would get people to subconsciously like him more, and he's admitted he's one of "those guys" who thinks Walter White always had pure intentions in Breaking Bad.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Sunswipe posted:

British passports used to be blue. That changed to a red EU passport in 1988. People have seriously voted for something that will cost the country millions, if not billions, because they want the sort of passports we had 30 loving years ago.
Nah, YouGov came up with the list, and just asked people yea or nay for each item (which is why pre-decimal currency is even on there). It's clearly more of a "why not?" reaction than a cause.

A poll answered why people voted as they did right after the referendum:

quote:

Nearly half (49%) of leave voters said the biggest single reason for wanting to leave the EU was “the principle that decisions about the UK should be taken in the UK”. One third (33%) said the main reason was that leaving “offered the best chance for the UK to regain control over immigration and its own borders.” Just over one in eight (13%) said remaining would mean having no choice “about how the EU expanded its membership or its powers in the years ahead.” Only just over one in twenty (6%) said their main reason was that “when it comes to trade and the economy, the UK would benefit more from being outside the EU than from being part of it.”

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Strudel Man posted:

Nah, YouGov came up with the list, and just asked people yea or nay for each item (which is why pre-decimal currency is even on there). It's clearly more of a "why not?" reaction than a cause.

A poll answered why people voted as they did right after the referendum:

The actual reason is, however, "immigration"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well I mean everyone knows why Brexit is a thing, it isn't hidden.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Praseodymi posted:

The actual reason is, however, "immigration"

http://www.britishelectionstudy.com/bes-findings/what-mattered-most-to-you-when-deciding-how-to-vote-in-the-eu-referendum/

Your source also indicates (in the 'coded responses' section) that the single biggest motivation was the issue of sovereignty. :shrug:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Prism posted:

That's :thejoke: with the weird denominations in Harry Potter, really.
Yes, I know that much. I just didn't realize the scope of it all. It's like if USD were printed in prime numbers only and you had to refer to them by the president on the bill.

anchorpunch
Mar 30, 2006

AlbieQuirky posted:

New Zealand and Canada need to hang tight right now, because the rest of the English-speaking industrialized nations are run by absolute loving assholes.

I also like the Sikh gentleman looking nauseated as May gabbles on.

yes the noble savage sees through the white mans lies!
you idiot, he was clapping and liking it like the rest

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Yawgmoth posted:

Yes, I know that much. I just didn't realize the scope of it all. It's like if USD were printed in prime numbers only and you had to refer to them by the president on the bill.

I was going to make fun of old limey funny money, but the idea of US prime factorization president money makes me want to waste some time to see how this would look.

Edit: Also a lot of old stuff is based on the gcf of 60 because then you can divide things by 2,3, and 5 easily.

PhazonLink has a new favorite as of 20:23 on Jun 7, 2017

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
The reason from the strange amounts is that the coins were originally volumetric and a pounds worth of pennies weighed a pound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Strudel Man posted:

http://www.britishelectionstudy.com/bes-findings/what-mattered-most-to-you-when-deciding-how-to-vote-in-the-eu-referendum/

Your source also indicates (in the 'coded responses' section) that the single biggest motivation was the issue of sovereignty. :shrug:

Those issues kind of go hand in hand.

You need sovereignty to have immigration policies