Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Glumslinger posted:

CNN on the other hand isn't pulling any punches

Weirdly, I think CNN is in the right here, since it zeroes in on the obstruction issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Pellisworth posted:

Do we know how many times Trump has visited Russia? How long ago might the piss tape have been recorded, Miss Universe in 2013?

Is it possible the Russians have had their hooks into Trump for several years?

If you look at the history of Trump and visiting Russia and meeting Putin it's all over the place. Prior to his campaign he's said he met Putin (most likely in 2013 at the Miss Universe contest) and said Putin called him a genius etc. Once Trump became candidate/became president he started denying like crazy ever meeting Putin or even acting like he knew who he was.

The general consensus is he's met Putin in 2013 but Trump is so mental he either doesn't remember, or is intentionally denying it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

NYT: Comey Set to Detail Pressure From Trump on Russia Inquiry
Wapo: Trump to Comey: ‘I expect loyalty,’ according to former FBI chief’s prepared testimony
ABC: Comey will testify Trump asked for 'loyalty' and to drop Flynn investigation
NBC: Comey to Testify He Assured Trump He Was Not Personally Under Investigation
CBS: Intel chiefs skirt questions about Trump conversations
CNN: James Comey testimony: Trump asked me to let Flynn investigation go
MSNBC: Comey Releases Prepared Remarks Ahead of Testimony
Fox: COMEY CLEARS THE AIR EX-FBI boss to say Trump demanded 'loyalty'; was not under investigation

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
"If Trump won't magically go away after a few months, he must be immortal! Why don't we all kill ourselves?"

Great stuff.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
The HBO movie showing the dinner scene is going to be so good. A quiet room with a clock ticking and Trump shoving cherry tomatos in his mouth like Denethor while Comey stoically sits there.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

That's pretty good stuff from Comey, he was never going to get outside of very specific stuff because he's not going to mess with Mueller's work.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Blitz7x posted:

The HBO movie showing the dinner scene is going to be so good. A quiet room with a clock ticking and Trump shoving cherry tomatos gum drops in his mouth like Denethor while Comey stoically sits there.
ftfy

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

NYT: Comey Set to Detail Pressure From Trump on Russia Inquiry
Wapo: Trump to Comey: ‘I expect loyalty,’ according to former FBI chief’s prepared testimony
ABC: Comey will testify Trump asked for 'loyalty' and to drop Flynn investigation
NBC: Comey to Testify He Assured Trump He Was Not Personally Under Investigation
CBS: Intel chiefs skirt questions about Trump conversations
CNN: James Comey testimony: Trump asked me to let Flynn investigation go
MSNBC: Comey Releases Prepared Remarks Ahead of Testimony
Fox: COMEY CLEARS THE AIR EX-FBI boss to say Trump demanded 'loyalty'; was not under investigation

principalskinner.gif

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Blitz7x posted:

The HBO movie showing the dinner scene is going to be so good. A quiet room with a clock ticking and Trump shoving cherry tomatos in his mouth like Denethor while Comey stoically sits there.

Either that or a comically bafoonish and evil Comey tries to trick the wise, sexy and golden-haired adonis playing Trump I.

It all depends on the ending, doesn't it?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
I think the "cloud" stopping Trump from making deals for America is my favorite part. The loving CLOUD is in his way, man.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Crain posted:

#2: If it does go to the SC I don't think the result, if they rule that blocking people is against the first amendment, will be limited to the Office of the President or elected officials in general. Which could mean that blocking people in online forums is unconstitutional. Basically it would state that: Yes, the first amendment guarantees you an audience wherever you want one. Or at least a venue.

Only if that forum is government run. You're going insanely over broad on what any such ruling would mean.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
That "I need loyalty, I expect loyalty" is going to haunt him. No way to spin that, especially when it's said to the head of an agency that's supposed to be independent.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/NicCageMatch/status/872525721654231043

lol

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

crime fighting hog posted:

I think the "cloud" stopping Trump from making deals for America is my favorite part. The loving CLOUD is in his way, man.

If there's anything I know about old people, it's that they hate and fear the cloud.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

crime fighting hog posted:

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 7, 2017

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Sinteres posted:

If there's anything I know about old people, it's that they hate and fear the cloud.

Weird since it's historically white.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Comey's statement is basically censored by the Special Counsel so it doesn't give away any of Muller's ongoing investigation. And it still basically confirms the piss tape and outright says Trump told Comey to drop the Flynn investigation.

Seems pretty good to me.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Blitz7x posted:

Trump has never eaten a fruit/vegetable in his entire life.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Is Spicy doing a press conference today?

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Deified Data posted:

Trump has never eaten a fruit/vegetable in his entire life.

Ketchup :colbert:

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

sean10mm posted:

Seems pretty good to me.

Yeah, but it won't instantly shoot trump into the sun and make bernie sanders president so you need to have a nonstop crying fit that it's not actually a big deal that the former director of the FBI is testifying against the president of the united states like 3 months into the presidency.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I'm eagerly anticipating Trump's tweet reaction that reaffirms everything in the testimony and further implicates him.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Someone is going to have to explain to me in more detail why that statement means pisstapes are real because I'm not seeing it. We already knew that one reason Comey personally briefed the president was that the allegations in the report were personally embarrassing. That doesn't make them real.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Petr posted:

Someone is going to have to explain to me in more detail why that statement means pisstapes are real because I'm not seeing it. We already knew that one reason Comey personally briefed the president was that the allegations in the report were personally embarrassing. That doesn't make them real.

Why mention them at all then?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Petr posted:

Because the pisstapes are real

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Petr posted:

I think it's because he kept bringing them up defensively like he was really nervous about it.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

There's also some ground between "this won't lead to impeachment" and "this is meaningless." Comey is confirming, in more or less black and white terms, that Trump obstructed justice. Just because we'd heard rumors of such before doesn't mean official testimony to that fact is meaningless.

There are only 24 hours in a day. Every hour the administration and the congress deals with this stuff is an hour they can't do health reform or tax reform or whatever. And every hour they don't do those things depressed their base. This is important, even if Trump makes it the next 3.5 years.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Petr posted:

Trump was still fuming about the pisstapes in like February and demanded the FBI prove they didn't exist. That's a pretty odd thing to do if they in fact do not exist.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

JazzFlight posted:

I think it's because he kept bringing them up defensively like was really nervous about it.

Or, more likely, his skin is so thin he can't handle the news writing bad things about him and wants it to pass.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Petr posted:

Because people who are informed about false embarassing charges about themselves don't tend to independently raise those allegations and dispute them without having been asked specifically months later. The March 30 phone call, when Trump says he wasn't involved with Russian hookers specifically and without prompting, is really out of place otherwise.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

JohnCompany posted:

Because people who are informed about false embarassing charges about themselves don't tend to independently raise those allegations and dispute them without having been asked specifically months later. The March 30 phone call, when Trump says he wasn't involved with Russian hookers specifically and without prompting, is really out of place otherwise.

It's also probably gonna get a great reaction out of him tomorrow.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Charliegrs posted:

Hey guys McCain is disturbed by the Comey testimony.

He's Disturbed.

Disturbed from a loving nap maybe.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

sean10mm posted:

"If Trump won't magically go away after a few months, he must be immortal! Why don't we all kill ourselves?"

Great stuff.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Night10194 posted:

It's also probably gonna get a great reaction out of him tomorrow.

Undoubtedly part of why Comey released his remarks today -- it not only gives Trump time to tweet, but time enough for the Senators to potentially use those tweets tomorrow during the hearing.

Giving him enough rope to tweet himself.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Petr posted:

Because it looks like Tormp called Comey out of the blue and started the conversation by denying being recorded in Russia with hookers. Given his behavior about other dumb poo poo, that makes it seem like he knows the piss tape is real. I actually didn't really believe it existed until I read Comey's statement. Holy hell I'm a piss tape believer now.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

mdemone posted:

Undoubtedly part of why Comey released his remarks today -- it not only gives Trump time to tweet, but time enough for the Senators to potentially use those tweets tomorrow during the hearing.

Giving him enough rope to tweet himself.

Comey didn't release them. The Senate Intelligence Committee did.

People who testify have to submit written documentation to the committee on their opening statements and respond to questionnaires.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

mdemone posted:

Undoubtedly part of why Comey released his remarks today

Submitting prepared remarks before testifying to Congress is normal. I don't think Comey is the one to make that call.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Alter Ego posted:

Why mention them at all then?

He was giving context for why the meeting was one on one, probably to head off questions about why he chose to initiate it that way. All other one on one meetings were initiated by trump.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
me? i never doubted the piss tape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Petr posted:

He was giving context for why the meeting was one on one, probably to head off questions about why he chose to initiate it that way. All other one on one meetings were initiated by trump.

If there's one thing Trump does well, it's thinking ahead about how he'll be received before speaking

• Locked thread