Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

Songbearer posted:

If I'm capable of tolerating jank, is the PC version of this any good or is it just inherently busted? Opinions seem to be all over the place.

I had very few issues running it on a Macbook Pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Songbearer posted:

If I'm capable of tolerating jank, is the PC version of this any good or is it just inherently busted? Opinions seem to be all over the place.

I have never had it crash (42 hrs of gameplay so far) and it stays full screen 1080. I use an Xbox controller instead of kbm and it's fine.

Re: crying. The only game I cried from was Journey but I think it had a lot to do with me being a couple months from becoming a father and it hit me just right. The Automata desert areas remind me a LOT of Journey.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jun 6, 2017

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

Renoistic posted:

It works even better if the game lets me interact with it too! Some games, like Ico, the Last Guardian, a Tale of Two Brothers, and Crisis Core, use game mechanics to elicit responses from the players. It's hard to explain, but sometimes (usually during last parts of the game or even the ending sequence) they have you use the mechanics you've been using throughout the game, but in a different context, that triggers an emotional response based on the rapport you have gained with the characters. The game has conditioned the player throughout the playthrough, in order for the last emotional beat to work.

I agree. This technique absolutely hits a nerve for me. I'd love to look through a tvtropes-style list of moments like this in gaming.

(Undertale)
Maybe, with what little power you have...
You can SAVE something else.

Edit: (Also Undertale)
Asgore destroying the mercy option.

Know Such Peace fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 6, 2017

rio
Mar 20, 2008

after reading a few threads on Reddit after googling for game info and seeing people passionately insist that Pascal is transgender, it was refreshing seeing that it was only because he wanted to use that voice actress and if there had to be a story it was because he chose a female voice to be soothing for the children. It is refreshing that robots don't care enough about sex that it literally doesn't have any bearing on how they identify.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Stumiester posted:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/culture/2017/jun/06/nina-freemans-guide-to-alternative-videogaming

"I think almost all the robots are gay, which is awesome."

I'm not sure what she's getting at here - I think I'd probably describe both the robots & androids as asexual/not sexual in a way humans can relate to, apart from the relationship/desire between 9S/2B. Is she saying this because of Adam & Eve?

Final Fantasy X-2 is my favourite game might just be the red flag for an intervention.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
FFX-2 aside, I'm gonna give her the benefit of doubt and say that a crappy listicle with a few wishy washy sentences per game like that can't properly reflect her specific feelings of the game. "all the robots" is definitely a bit of a stretch.

Of course the question which of all these "soulless" machines - androids and clunky tin cans like pascal - are actually "experiencing" emotions instead of just clumsily emulating them and have "intentions" instead of "programming", and what - if any - the difference is, is like the central joke of the game. So if you buy that Pascal actually possesses and experiences strong emotions about the stuff in the game instead of just running a "motherly figure role" script, then of course androids can "authentically" want to date other androids.

Even the 9S/2B relationship is a very mixed, ambiguous bag, as i hope most relationships humans can "relate to" don't involve regularly murdering your partner.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I got to the point in Route C where 9S learns everything. Am I understanding it correctly that the androids in the Bunker were just created by the machines? If so doesn't that conflict with Devola and Popola firing androids off in to space?

A lot was going on and it was late, I couldn't 100% keep up. Is it more fully explained later or in an archive?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Look Sir Droids posted:

I got to the point in Route C where 9S learns everything. Am I understanding it correctly that the androids in the Bunker were just created by the machines? If so doesn't that conflict with Devola and Popola firing androids off in to space?

A lot was going on and it was late, I couldn't 100% keep up. Is it more fully explained later or in an archive?

Nope. The machines have been hacking into the androids' system for ages but they're not responsible for Project YoRHa.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Welp, my save is gone. Someone put it to good use and pay it forward.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Do you have to delete your save file to get E?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Look Sir Droids posted:

Do you have to delete your save file to get E?

Nope.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Man, I burned through from Ending B to C in a little less than a day. Got it's hooks into me good. So for Ending D, can I just chapter select to the end, or go through the route again?

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
You can do the first option.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I, Butthole posted:

Man, I burned through from Ending B to C in a little less than a day. Got it's hooks into me good. So for Ending D, can I just chapter select to the end, or go through the route again?

Yep. You can actually select the very last fight and just choose 9S instead.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Ran through C, D, and E last night. What a beautiful game. I can finally go back and read all the spoiler text in this thread. I have lots of questions and I need to read the archives.

Speaking of I finished with only like half the archives. Where the hell are all these things? I've done 85% of the sidequests, so there can't be that many hiding behind quests. EDIT: Holy poo poo I just checked quests and saw the Engels quests and didn't even notice them before. How the gently caress did I miss that a giant Goliath could be conversed with?

1. I don't really get Route C A2's ending. So she just lets herself die? It didn't look like the canon fired, so why does the Tower collapse?

2. For Route E the pods say it could all happen again the same way, but that seems unlikely if YorHA is destroyed and 2B/E and 9S can just live their lives without having to fight anything. Unless it's implied they become the core of creating YorHA again.

3. Speaking of YorHA I read that it was meant to be destroyed, but why is that? Why was it set up to fail?

4. Re: Jackass Is all the stuff about her knowing the score in the archives or are there extra missions with her?

5. If 2B killing 9S happens repeatedly, does it happen the same way every time? Are Adam and Eve a new wrinkle or do they show up each time?

I didn't delete my saves. I only plan on playing enough to get the Emil ending though. I'm not grinding for pod upgrades. Where's the secret cheevo shop accessed?

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 7, 2017

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Look Sir Droids posted:

1. I don't really get Route C A2's ending. So she just lets herself die? It didn't look like the canon fired, so why does the Tower collapse?

The pillar of light in the hacking space is the collective machine data aboard the Ark, hence all the laughter you can hear from it. A2 destroys it and succeeds in her machine genocide before dying

Look Sir Droids posted:

3. Speaking of YorHA I read that it was meant to be destroyed, but why is that? Why was it set up to fail?

The original No. 9 unit went insane from the revelation that the YoRHa prototypes were really powered by machine cores so he added the backdoor by hacking to turn all of YoRHa into martyrs. This info is in the concert script mind you and not in the actual game

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
4. That's all folks.

5. Adam and Eve are a new wrinkle. It feels like the game is implying that there is a cycle with them, but the only cyclical part of the story is 9S learning the truth about the Council of Humanity and having to be executed.

2. This game is centered on existentialism. These androids are programmed with a limited purpose, which is now impossible to fulfill. Ideally, they'll be able to move forward and find a new reason to live. It's also possible that they won't be able to move past their programming and eventually rebuild something in the same vein as YorHa.

Think of Devola and Popola. They are programmed to depend one each other and are forced to feel guilt for past sins. Despite understanding that these feelings are a part of their programming, they are unable to escape it.

Humans experience this all of the time. People become accustomed to their addictions and struggle to break them even when an objectively better path forward is available.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Tatumje posted:

5. Adam and Eve are a new wrinkle. It feels like the game is implying that there is a cycle with them, but the only cyclical part of the story is 9S learning the truth about the Council of Humanity and having to be executed.

There's a reference or comment or something to the effect in-game that machine communities have been tried many, many times as a simulation to humanity but each time they eventually fail and in ways that imply the current iteration never learned from previous ones. So 9S having to be reloaded periodically to protect the secret is not the only cycle present. There's also the android couple running away from the resistance camp in their 5th iteration of the same basic events (with horrific implications).

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
So I picked up Nier: Gestalt. I've heard that it's "Point of No Return" is rock solid and that you NEED to have the side quests done or you're SOL. Is there a good checklist of what I need to do before that point? Preferably one that keeps spoilers to a minimum.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It's not; once you complete the full story you can time travel to any part of the game you want and reactivate any incomplete quests there.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

i am tim! posted:

So I picked up Nier: Gestalt. I've heard that it's "Point of No Return" is rock solid and that you NEED to have the side quests done or you're SOL. Is there a good checklist of what I need to do before that point? Preferably one that keeps spoilers to a minimum.

If you really want to solve all quests because you love suffering, reach 51% side quest completion before you go to the mansion. But you don't need to.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

i am tim! posted:

nothing you can miss after the point of no return will lock you out of the main story, but you can miss sidequest stories, which while well written, are all varient of "go to point b, get x, return to a and give to y"

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I'm playing the game for the well written aspects, but it's good to know it's not required. I got the impression that NG+ would only bring you back to just after that no return point, and that one of the endings is locked behind a 100% run, but it sounds like I just misread something. Hitting all four endings is probably the only thing I'm pushing hard for.

So, any easily missable side quests that I should REALLY make sure I see?

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 7, 2017

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

i am tim! posted:

I'm playing the game for the well written aspects, but it's good to know it's not required. I got the impression that NG+ would only bring you back to just after that no return point, and that one of the endings is locked behind a 100% run. Hitting all four endings is probably the only thing I'm pushing hard for.

Endings C and D, the ones you're thinking about, require 100% weapon collection.All sidequest weapons can be gotten after the no return point anyway, so no worries.

i am tim! posted:

So, any easily missable side quests that I should REALLY make sure I see?
Easily missable? Nah. But I'd say that if you wanted to do some side quests, help the lighthouse lady, get the mayor a drink, and eat some home cooking.

Exercu fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 7, 2017

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

Sage Grimm posted:

There's a reference or comment or something to the effect in-game that machine communities have been tried many, many times as a simulation to humanity but each time they eventually fail and in ways that imply the current iteration never learned from previous ones. So 9S having to be reloaded periodically to protect the secret is not the only cycle present. There's also the android couple running away from the resistance camp in their 5th iteration of the same basic events (with horrific implications).

You're right. I misspoke. There are a ton of cycles in this game. The Route B playthrough appears to set up a twist that the two main characters are also currently in a loop. This is not what actually happens. 2B and 9S are in a loop in several ways, but Adam and Eve's appearance is a unique event.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Look Sir Droids posted:

2. For Route E the pods say it could all happen again the same way, but that seems unlikely if YorHA is destroyed and 2B/E and 9S can just live their lives without having to fight anything. Unless it's implied they become the core of creating YorHA again.
My reading is that they're talking about the game itself. The pods evolve to the point of talking directly to the player, and "it could all happen again" means continuing to play the game after Ending E.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Once you've done all that it's time to start fresh and play again. And this time maybe go and fight Emil and Super-Emil.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

edit oops replying to an old rear end post

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 8, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

This change to how loading and saving works in Route C is super dumb.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
What changes?

I remember one streamer got kicked back like 45 minutes after a death.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Tatumje posted:

What changes?
Namely that if you happen to die it spawns you at the last Access Point you saved at instead of at the last one you actually used.

It's nothing you can't really recover from but it just adds extra tedium to the game, which I'm not really fond of since I was already questioning how much playing through Route B really adds to the experience of Automata's story.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Raxivace posted:

Namely that if you happen to die it spawns you at the last Access Point you saved at instead of at the last one you actually used.

It's nothing you can't really recover from but it just adds extra tedium to the game, which I'm not really fond of since I was already questioning how much playing through Route B really adds to the experience of Automata's story.

Because before, you were getting a brand new body from YoRHa downloading your data from the servers up in the bunker, now you're without a cloud backup and WELP.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

In retrospect Route B made A seem like an extended prologue. There was a lot more depth to B and 9S is actually the main protagonist, not 2B. Don't see how B is useless.

I mean the whole game is about perspective influencing how you see the world.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I don't think I said B is useless- it just personally didn't make me think especially differently about much of what I had done in A.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Raxivace posted:

I don't think I said B is useless- it just personally didn't make me think especially differently about much of what I had done in A.

You ain't doing different you're seeing different

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

"You just want to **** 2B, don't you?"

The **** stands for "go back to playing"

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Gently caress

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
So what was everyone's point when they realized that 9S is the actual protagonist of the game

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
That would be the pod network. They're the true heroes.

gently caress 9S for throwing a temper tantrum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

9S is boring. Press Y to win, yawn.

I like 9S more when I'm not playing him because he does an Olympic gold-medal winning dive off the deep end and stays there. Especially after he runs A2 through, gets run through himself, and throws a supermarket tantrum as he bleeds out.